Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I think Pittsburgh can make a good case for runner-up "most insufferable" this week what with all the media, players, and fans saying crap like "See? Spygate :smug: I think you can retroactively award two of those Super Bowls to the Steelers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I still think the second-most insufferable fans is a tie between NY fans and Chicago Cubs fans. Boston always wins now and forever.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
To scale, the hierarchy is absolutely something like:

Philadelphia

Boston

Cubs fans
New York fans.

Boston undoubtedly has the worst sportswriters and radio stations, however.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Philly booed Sarah Palin, therefore can do no wrong :colbert:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

nature6pk posted:

They boo everyone

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Yeah, Jesus Christ himself could be resurrected in Lincoln Financial Field and Philly fans would boo and throw batteries at him.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

nature6pk posted:

Oh hey, they didn't cheer for an abhorrent politician.

Do they get a second lifetime pass if they don't boo after the national anthem on MLB Opening Day?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

hcreight posted:

Do they get a second lifetime pass if they don't boo after the national anthem on MLB Opening Day?

If Philly ever boos the national anthem I might just up and throw in my chips with the Phillies, Flyers, and Eagles

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Crion posted:

If Philly ever boos the national anthem I might just up and throw in my chips with the Phillies, Flyers, and Eagles

I like to think this country can still fix itself.

I want to believe. :(

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

hcreight posted:

I like to think this country can still fix itself.

I want to believe. :(

If it helps any I was mostly concerned with the national anthem being a breathtakingly terrible piece of music, let alone an "anthem"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think there was some booing during the superbowl, but that was more because there's like some law to prevent people from just singing the drat thing just the way it is.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

seiferguy posted:

I still think the second-most insufferable fans is a tie between NY fans and Chicago Cubs fans. Boston always wins now and forever.

Cubs fans aren't bad at all. They have zero to brag about and their wining is easily understood by a Cleveland fan like myself.

My order of annoyance

1. Boston fans of any sport
2. Steelers fans
3. Yankees fans
4. Generic bandwagon "whoever is good" fan

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

hcreight posted:

Before the Winter Classic in Philly, the Canadian National Anthem was sung for some reason.

That got booed

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

Cubs fans aren't bad at all. They have zero to brag about and their wining is easily understood by a Cleveland fan like myself.

Did you see that the Cubs almost made the World Series nearly a decade ago :smug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

You can avail yourself of this incorrect opinion by going to Wrigley Field and interacting with masses of douchey Cubs fans. Cub fans by and large* are terrible and if the Cubs ever win the world series, it is possible that we will make Boston fans look sober and rational in celebration.

*SAS Cubs fans, of course, are awesome.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Bigass Moth posted:

My order of annoyance

1. Boston fans of any sport
2. Steelers fans
3. Yankees fans
4. Generic bandwagon "whoever is good" fan

I would add, "Girls who like an entire team just because one of the players 'is a hottie'."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crion posted:

If it helps any I was mostly concerned with the national anthem being a breathtakingly terrible piece of music, let alone an "anthem"

America The Beautiful for life

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

peepoogenderparts posted:

I would add, "Girls who like an entire team just because one of the players 'is a hottie'."

Uh huh. How do you feel about the US Women's Curling Team, out of curiosity

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Crion posted:

The what?

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Crion posted:

Im sure it was Sewden or Canada that had the hottie but curling is mesmerizing for reasons untirely unrelated to that. You could naked rosie o'donnel's or mila kunis and either way that sport would still be captivating for unexplainable reasons.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Okposolypse posted:

Im sure it was Sewden or Canada that had the hottie but curling is mesmerizing for reasons untirely unrelated to that. You could naked rosie o'donnel's or mila kunis and either way that sport would still be captivating for unexplainable reasons.

Cassie now and forever! USA curling rules

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Speaking of US Curling gently caress JOHN SHUSTER

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Crion posted:

Gonna have to go with, "Is there a US Women's Curling Team?" Let me go check it out.

Eh. Wouldn't convince me to watch curling.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crion posted:

A good team that really underperformed in Vancouver, unfortunately. Deb is really a sweetheart.

Oh, you mean the 2006 team.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can avail yourself of this incorrect opinion by going to Wrigley Field and interacting with masses of douchey Cubs fans. Cub fans by and large* are terrible and if the Cubs ever win the world series, it is possible that we will make Boston fans look sober and rational in celebration.

*SAS Cubs fans, of course, are awesome.

Yeah maybe but they don't have any KISS DA RINGZ stuff to cram in your face like Boston or Steelers fans. It's been nearly 50 years since any Cleveland team won a title and when (if?) it happens in my lifetime I will be the most insufferably smug person on the planet.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
The problem with Cubs fans is that most of them have a persecution complex and proclaim their team to be historically unlucky. This is not the case- they have had all the opportunities in the world to succeed and historically bad management has squandered each and every one of them.

But, like the blithering morons they are, most* Cubs fans do not recognize this and continue to go to games and wear their merch and scream about their awful luck. They take a sick pride in it, and to hear 20 year olds bitch and moan about how it's been ONE HUNDRED AND THREE YEARS MAAAAN is just pathetic. There are ten franchises that have had worse luck than the Cubs in an average fan's lifetime. The difference is that Cubs fans, like sheep, do not recognize the real problem and continue to reward a bad ownership group and bad management with historically increasing ticket and television revenue while ignoring the fact that the people being given the money have been causing the problem in the first place.

*SAS Cubs fans rule and seem to agree with my assessment, this argument is not directed at them and should hold no truck with them.

Pat Clements fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 7, 2012

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Honestly, I think that sports fans as a whole are just awful (I'm talking about in groups, not individuals). With a few notable exceptions going either way, rankings of worst sports fans are essentially rankings of how much exposure a team/fandom gets. Given that ESPN is The Boston Channel and NYC is generally treated as the center of the universe, it's no surprise that everyone hates them. Steelers fans get poo poo on because they visibly root for a marquee team, but Pirates fans--90+% of whom also root for the Steelers, I imagine--don't get any hate because nobody pays attention to them at all. It's the reverse in St. Louis, where Rams fans get no visibility but Cards fans are given a stage as "the best fans in baseball".

I propose this because I don't mind Cubs fans at all, because I've never actually met one.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Mornacale posted:

Honestly, I think that sports fans as a whole are just awful (I'm talking about in groups, not individuals). With a few notable exceptions going either way, rankings of worst sports fans are essentially rankings of how much exposure a team/fandom gets. Given that ESPN is The Boston Channel and NYC is generally treated as the center of the universe, it's no surprise that everyone hates them. Steelers fans get poo poo on because they visibly root for a marquee team, but Pirates fans--90+% of whom also root for the Steelers, I imagine--don't get any hate because nobody pays attention to them at all. It's the reverse in St. Louis, where Rams fans get no visibility but Cards fans are given a stage as "the best fans in baseball".

I propose this because I don't mind Cubs fans at all, because I've never actually met one.

Steelers fans get poo poo on because they cheer for a rapist, actually

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Steelers fans get poo poo about cheering for a rapist, not because of it. Everyone already hated us.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Mornacale posted:

Also because of poo poo like Steelers fans I know in 2008 saying "All our sports teams won a championship this year :smug: " Which is lovely on a lot of levels.

The Rams aren't that far removed from being a marquee team, but the MEDIA didn't anoint them the best fans in the sport.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Badfinger posted:

The Rams aren't that far removed from being a marquee team, but the MEDIA didn't anoint them the best fans in the sport.

The Rams were godawful both before and after the Greatest Show on Turf, though. Those five years* were really the only time the team had been good since they moved to St. Louis.

*Four years really, they weren't even good in 2002.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Steelers fans are pretty insane in general. My uncle moved to Pittsburgh recently and hearing about Steeler days in public schools and stuff like that was pretty nutty. It did put my neighbor who's cars and yard is decked out in Steeler stuff during the season into perspective. Maybe this is common knowledge but living in CT (and now MA) for my entire life kept me in blissful ignorance.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I look forward to seeing every Tampa Bay Rays fan get shat on this year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PS gently caress Josh Lueke, gently caress Big Ben, gently caress All Rapists Every Day, Everywhere

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

MassRayPer posted:

Steelers fans are pretty insane in general. My uncle moved to Pittsburgh recently and hearing about Steeler days in public schools and stuff like that was pretty nutty.

Wait, this isn't normal? :aaaaa:

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
What the gently caress is a Steelers day

I think I can guess the general gist but I want to hear it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crion posted:

What the gently caress is a Steelers day

I think I can guess the general gist but I want to hear it

Every Friday (or maybe just certain Fridays) at her elementary school during the football season is Steelers Day and everyone wears Steelers stuff or black and yellow. Granted during elementary school every day was Don Mattingly day, but that wasn't official policy, Don Mattingly was just awesome and we all knew it. At least, I wish every day was Don Mattingly day...

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
My school had two types of "Steelers days". One was when we were allowed to break the dress code (I went to Catholic school, so that included stuff like no jeans or t-shirts) to wear black and gold; you'd usually see an unfortunate kid or two whose family came from Ohio wearing Browns or Bengals gear, too. Those were usually on a couple Fridays every year, before big games.

The other, made possible because our priest's brother (and later nephew) was an NFL ref, was when we'd have a present or former Steelers player or coach visit the school. Which loving ruled.

I should also note that the city of Pittsburgh at large has Steelers days before big games, where literally every inhabitant is encouraged to wear team colors.

e: Another fun anecdote: for Xmas last year my mom bought me a Steelers tie. She did not understand why I thought it wouldn't be fashionable.

My mom isn't even from Pittsburgh.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 8, 2012

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
When I was flying back from Pittsburgh they had a statue of Franco Harris next to a statue of George Washington in the terminal. That sums up the way the city feels about the Steelers, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This begs the question: Did any Pittsbuirgh sports beat guys try to defend Big Ben after the allegations?