Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

withak posted:

Has anyone had problems with Calibre freezing when converting to epub in OSX? It's been happening in about the last few weeks worth of versions. When I do right-click->convert and hit 'ok' it beachballs forever. If I wait a few minutes then force-kill it and restart then the converted books are right were they should be so it isn't that big of a deal, just incredibly inconvenient.

I've had that issue on windows. I leave calibre running all the time, so I'm not sure if thats related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sperg Victorious posted:

I've had that issue on windows. I leave calibre running all the time, so I'm not sure if thats related.

I filed a bug but the dev says that a convert freezing up the main UI shouldn't be possible.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It looks like the problem was related to Growl. I noticed that Growl was using 100% of my CPU so I updated it and now Calibre converts stuff just fine. The computer has been restarted a handfull of times since the problem first appeared so just restarting Growl didn't appear to have been enough to fix it.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Ah, thats slightly different than what I'm getting. It just sits there any doesn't convert at all. The UI still works, but it won't do the conversion until I restart the program.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk
:siren:WARNING:siren:

Appears to be some nasty bugs in how this beta handles SD cards. If you attempt to format an SD card in the device in CM after installing the beta, it formats your internal memory instead and bricks the device. There does seem to be a way to recover from this if it happens.
It doesn't seem to be something that 'just happens.' You actually have to choose to format the card to cause this. Nevertheless, the creators are urging people to revert to stock until they test some more. The links to the ROM have been pulled down.

Steps 1 and 2 are still safe to do, this issue only applies to the beta itself (step 3).

:siren:WARNING:siren:

In case anyone cares, a beta version of CM7 has been released for the Nook Tablet this morning.
1. Follow instructions here to root (needed before you can do much of anything else):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1354487

(I believe they may have modded the above root instructions to include this next step, but if not....)
2. Follow instructions here to install Clockwork Mod Recovery (if new to Android ROMS, this is what you need to backup/install custom ROMs)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1458630

3. And finally follow instructions here to install CM7 beta (option to install either directly on internal memory or as completely separate on an SD card):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481826

There is a CM9 ROM in the works by a different set of people. It seems to have hit some snags, so this second group decided to release a CM7 ROM to get everyone to shut the gently caress up in the mean time.

I've installed it internally and it seems to be working great so far. There is also a method to go back to stock completely including unrooting.

jkyuusai fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 5, 2012

Stugene
Apr 7, 2009

Starring Bill Cosby
as Victor Meldrew
Anyone got a copy of the Mingle script that isn't uploaded to megaupload? Sorry if this is ancient history.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
My wife and I both have Kindle 4's with ads (no keyboard/no touch), and it's not easy to tell them apart.

I don't mind the ads, but is there a way to add more wallpapers to these? We both leave wifi off long enough that they end up reverting back to the non-ad screensavers, and it would be nice to customize them.

I googled around and haven't really found one site that seems to house this type of info.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Civil posted:

My wife and I both have Kindle 4's with ads (no keyboard/no touch), and it's not easy to tell them apart.

I don't mind the ads, but is there a way to add more wallpapers to these? We both leave wifi off long enough that they end up reverting back to the non-ad screensavers, and it would be nice to customize them.

I googled around and haven't really found one site that seems to house this type of info.

I have this problem as well. I've been looking for a nice sticker to put on the back of mine or something. As far as I know there isn't a way to gain root access the the Kindle 4, and so there is no way to change the screen savers.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
What is there to do with the Kindle Touch once it's jailbroken?

Can I read ePubs on it or is it only possible to do simple things, like changing the screensaver pictures?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

ZShakespeare posted:

I have this problem as well. I've been looking for a nice sticker to put on the back of mine or something. As far as I know there isn't a way to gain root access the the Kindle 4, and so there is no way to change the screen savers.

you can go to the Manage Your Kindle part of the Amazon site and tell it what kind of wallpapers you'd like to see more of. I have no idea if this works, though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Civil posted:

Couldn't you just get a skin for it?

http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/Amazon-Kindle-4-Skins

Alot of people over at KindleBoards rave about those (but get the matte version if you do decide to get one)

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
I don't think I could pull out my kindle in public if I put one of those on it.

I'll just hold tight and see if they come up with a wallpaper/screensaver hack for it down the line if nothing exists now. Maybe I'll just put a black dot with a sharpie on one of them.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

Civil posted:

I don't think I could pull out my kindle in public if I put one of those on it.

I'll just hold tight and see if they come up with a wallpaper/screensaver hack for it down the line if nothing exists now. Maybe I'll just put a black dot with a sharpie on one of them.

Do either of you have a case? Maybe get 2 in different colors, or a couple of the cheapy slipcover type ones.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

spixxor posted:

Do either of you have a case? Maybe get 2 in different colors, or a couple of the cheapy slipcover type ones.

That's what I was thinking. I mean, $10 for one of these leather folio cases available in multiple colors and you'll never get confused again.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

SB35 posted:

That's what I was thinking. I mean, $10 for one of these leather folio cases available in multiple colors and you'll never get confused again.

I don't like a cover attached when I'm reading so I went with one like this. More than $10 but it protects the device pretty well and is a pretty nice cover.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Can any Canadians help me out here: Would the Kobo sleeves they sell at Indigo or Chapters be a good fit for my Kindle 4? The K4 is actually slightly smaller in dimensions to Kobo, so it shouldn't be too loose a fit, right?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Trico posted:

Can any Canadians help me out here: Would the Kobo sleeves they sell at Indigo or Chapters be a good fit for my Kindle 4? The K4 is actually slightly smaller in dimensions to Kobo, so it shouldn't be too loose a fit, right?

I don't have any experience with that specific sleeve, but my wife created a sleeve for her Kobo before she got a kindle herself and before she modified it to fit the kindle properly, it fit fairly well.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"
Barney Fife SS :swoon:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
This is nice to read. I really do hope all their fears about Amazon comes true and Amazon puts their boot right on their neck.

quote:

Penguin already signaled it'd stop providing newer titles to OverDrive's lending service, but apart from a temporary interruption last year, Kindle borrowing of older books has escaped largely unscathed. That's no longer the case: as of this month, Penguin says that "eBooks loaned for reading on Kindle devices will need to be downloaded to a computer then transferred to the device over USB." Why add the extra hassle, compared to direct wireless transfer via Amazon's servers? According to Infodocket, Penguin has simply indicated that this form of distribution breached the terms of its agreement with OverDrive. However, the American Library Association (ALA) has a more developed explanation of what's going on in this nascent industry. It says that publishers are worried about the lack of "friction" involved in eBook lending, compared to the effort required to visit a physical library. This, the ALA thinks, is leading to fears that readers will borrow more and buy less. So, perhaps the wireless delivery of borrowed titles to Kindles was just too easy for Penguin's liking?

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/13/penguin-halts-over-the-air-kindle-borrowing/

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

It's pretty funny to read statements that confirm the idea that "Publishers hate the eBook format and want it to die". Penguin wants to add extra, arbitrary steps to minimize lending. How do you even justify that to your shareholders?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Amazon is establishing as wide a monopoly as it can, no matter what it has to do (selling devices at a loss, straight-up violating agreements, etc.). Right now we're all :woop: CHEAP BOOKS, but if Amazon succeeds, it's going to get ugly in a couple years.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Vertigus posted:

It's pretty funny to read statements that confirm the idea that "Publishers hate the eBook format and want it to die". Penguin wants to add extra, arbitrary steps to minimize lending. How do you even justify that to your shareholders?

I'm probably wrong but I would have thought libraries would be some of publishers biggest customers?

Who would have thought that publishers couldn't really care if you read their books as long as they get paid. :suicide:

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
They want you to read their books, but they don't want "frictionless" (Penguin's wording) ways to get books.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They better get started on turning that "Internet" thing off, then.

Vertigus posted:

Penguin wants to add extra, arbitrary steps to minimize lending. How do you even justify that to your shareholders?

"This will save us."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Anne Whateley posted:

Amazon is establishing as wide a monopoly as it can, no matter what it has to do (selling devices at a loss, straight-up violating agreements, etc.). Right now we're all :woop: CHEAP BOOKS, but if Amazon succeeds, it's going to get ugly in a couple years.

It's already ugly.

I'll take the company that is straight up willing to cut their profits down to almost nothing for marketshare and continues to push for overall growth of that market even when they are on top than a cartel of companies who are doing everything they can to complete gently caress up the future of the next big thing to protect a dying business model.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 14, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Sporadic posted:

I'll take the company that is straight up willing to cut their profits down to almost nothing for marketshare and continues to push for overall growth of that market even when they are on top than a cartel of companies who are doing everything they can to completely gently caress up the future of the next big thing to protect a dying business model.

The trouble is that the cartels and Amazon are the slab and millstone that all the good publishers will be ground up between. Not all the publishers are horrible; Baen and Nightshade spring to mind. Baen's always said paper sales went up on anything they offered as a free e-book (hence the shitload of free ebooks) and Nightshade, niching it, only offers one format: trade paperbacks. No hardbacks, mass paperbacks, ebooks, etc, and I buy the poo poo out of Nightshade books, because they're not just priced right, they're really nice. Good paper, presentation, formatting, and so on.

The upshot for us as consumers, I guess, is that after Amazon burns everything to the ground, new small presses will poke up out of the ashes; sucks fat cold dicks for everyone already working in the industry though.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 14, 2012

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I wonder what what Baen's strategy is as more and more sales move from paper to e-books. Offering your books for free to drive paper sales eventually has to hit a dead end when half your audience isn't even interested in paper reading. I know Charlie Stross has said he is selling 40/60 split on e-book / paper even now.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
True, that was set up by Jim Baen and he's been dead a couple years. So it's hardly an ... agile policy. :3:

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Are we assuming that if Amazon gets a monopoly through which it can influence book pricing, they'll drive the prices up?

Maybe they're a nice company like Steam, and like to do things which benefit consumers as well as themselves?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If they really wanted to combat Amazon's dominance, they'd take out the DRM so bookstores could sell to any device easily. Amazon's and B&N's DRM is already ridiculously easy to break, almost as if they designed it to be broken.

The publishers would then be freeing readers from having to rely on Amazon's store. You could buy it from anywhere you wanted. Even new stores would be able to email books to your kindle.

One small publisher already kind of does this. They sell all of their books in epub, mobi, html, and pdf formats. No DRM, you just choose what you want.

I doubt the big publishers would ever want to do that. That would be good for ebooks, and the publishers couldn't live with themselves if they did something that promoted ebooks.

Centipeed posted:

Are we assuming that if Amazon gets a monopoly through which it can influence book pricing, they'll drive the prices up?

Maybe they're a nice company like Steam, and like to do things which benefit consumers as well as themselves?

That's what some people are worried about. The publishers are mostly worried that Amazon will have a near monopoly and be able to push them around on pricing and other aspects.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I'm surprised Amazon hasn't been more successful in getting authors to switch to them as publisher. Amazon would probably be willing to give 90% e-book royalties off a $10 purchase price to a top level author. Mix in some kind of Kindle exclusive time period, and I think it would work out well for everyone.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

smackfu posted:

I'm surprised Amazon hasn't been more successful in getting authors to switch to them as publisher. Amazon would probably be willing to give 90% e-book royalties off a $10 purchase price to a top level author. Mix in some kind of Kindle exclusive time period, and I think it would work out well for everyone.

They have been pretty successful, as far as I've read. It's one of the concerning signs, as Amazon appears to be a lot less invested in the idea of editors by comparison to traditional publishers.

Editors: they're not just for catching typos.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Centipeed posted:

The reason Valve get away with being such a "nice" company comes down to them being privately owned. Gabe Newell and the other Valve directors can do just about anything they want within reason and they don't have to justify it to shareholders only interested in extracting maximum short term quarter to quarter profit.

If Amazon become a near-monopoly in the field of ebooks, the shareholders would be demanding to know why Jeff Bezos isn't reaming each of his customers for every penny he can get.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

frameset posted:

The reason Valve get away with being such a "nice" company comes down to them being privately owned. Gabe Newell and the other Valve directors can do just about anything they want within reason and they don't have to justify it to shareholders only interested in extracting maximum short term quarter to quarter profit.

If Amazon become a near-monopoly in the field of ebooks, the shareholders would be demanding to know why Jeff Bezos isn't reaming each of his customers for every penny he can get.

Except Jeff Bezos always tells shareholders to gently caress off when it comes to short term profits. See last Q4.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ethereal posted:

Except Jeff Bezos always tells shareholders to gently caress off when it comes to short term profits. See last Q4.

Exactly, he has no problem running at a low margin forever to grow things and has no real desire to stomp out the competition which throws everybody for a loop. Unless he dies and some idiot takes over, that shouldn't change any time soon.

This is probably my favorite section of text regarding this.

quote:

Publishers say Amazon is aggressively wooing some of their top authors. And the company is gnawing away at the services that publishers, critics and agents used to provide.

Several large publishers declined to speak on the record about Amazon’s efforts. “Publishers are terrified and don’t know what to do,” said Dennis Loy Johnson of Melville House, who is known for speaking his mind.

“Everyone’s afraid of Amazon,” said Richard Curtis, a longtime agent who is also an e-book publisher. “If you’re a bookstore, Amazon has been in competition with you for some time. If you’re a publisher, one day you wake up and Amazon is competing with you too. And if you’re an agent, Amazon may be stealing your lunch because it is offering authors the opportunity to publish directly and cut you out.

“It’s an old strategy: divide and conquer,” Mr. Curtis said.

Amazon executives, interviewed at the company’s headquarters here, declined to say how many editors the company employed, or how many books it had under contract. But they played down Amazon’s power and said publishers were in love with their own demise.

“It’s always the end of the world,” said Russell Grandinetti, one of Amazon’s top executives. “You could set your watch on it arriving.”

He pointed out, though, that the landscape was in some ways changing for the first time since Gutenberg invented the modern book nearly 600 years ago. “The only really necessary people in the publishing process now are the writer and reader,” he said. “Everyone who stands between those two has both risk and opportunity.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/17/technology/amazon-rewrites-the-rules-of-book-publishing.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

quote:

“The ONlY real necessary people in the pubishing process now are the, Writer andRreader, ”

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Splizwarf posted:

They better get started on turning that "Internet" thing off, then.

"This will save us."

It puts them in the enviable situation of having to explain to shareholders that their winning strategy is to actively fight and inconvenience their customers. Bizarre.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Splizwarf posted:

“The ONlY real necessary people in the pubishing process now are the, Writer and Reader, ”

It's a very good point. There's nothing to stop a writer from selling their books directly to the customer, from their blog/webpage.

What are the advantages to partnering with a publisher?

- advertising/market exposure (easily the single biggest one)
- hardcopy sales, if they think your writing is that good

Anything else?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

It's a very good point. There's nothing to stop a writer from selling their books directly to the customer, from their blog/webpage.

What are the advantages to partnering with a publisher?

- advertising/market exposure (easily the single biggest one)
- hardcopy sales, if they think your writing is that good

Anything else?

You can get advances too. You only have to write, and you won't have to worry about the rest. But after you get your advance and contract, you're pretty much writing to pay it all back.

Kind of depends on what your strategy is. Someone like Konrath is thinking that in the long term, he'll make more money self publishing and getting a bigger cut of his books, although he does reduce price to drive up volume. Also, he probably thinks that he won't be losing out long term on not getting placement on bookshelves at stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, the lady behind The Vampire Diaries got shitcanned off her own series.

Now they are going to put them out, still under her name, but using a ghostwriter.

Guess it really does pay to read all the pages in the contract. That's pretty hosed up.