Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Maker Of Shoes posted:

News of the day, Chrome Beta drops for ICS phones and tablets: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.android.chrome

Sick. I love how my desktop windows are automatically synced to the mobile browser. Can't wait to play on it some more to see any other features it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ciabatta posted:

To be fair, if you bought one for $100-150 and can sell it used months later for $200-250, many people will do so. Even if you do like and want a tablet, it's a good way to subsidize the price of a Transformer Prime or iPad if you're a poor.

This is essentially what I did (mine was one of those listed by SWSP). It's not a bad tablet, but I just felt like I wanted something that performed better. Smoother. So I sold it and am using that to subsidize the price of a better one.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
I might get mine up and running again on ICS. My only complaint was a lack of a GPS receiver, but that was a deal-breaker.
I actually prefer the 4:3 layout for business - type stuff, since that's closer to the aspect ratio of a US letter-sized sheet of paper.

My Transformer is mainly used for web surfing, Evernote, reading technical manuals and GPS navigation. 16:9 is pretty awesome when watching Netflix on the road.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dissss posted:

The Awful Android app is a good example of this - I think later versions even include a 3rd layout targeted at Google TV.

Yup, correct. All under probably 100 lines of code total.

Kynetx posted:

Thanks for helping to minimize the animosity.

OK, so I know gently caress-all about app development, but I've always wondered if the soultion to the scaling headaches would be going with a vector format instead of dealing with upscaling and interpolation bullshit. poo poo, SVG is already an XML-based format and the file size is tiny.

Scaling really shouldn't be a headache. Don't forget that the platform was built for fragmentation since 1.6. If you know what you're doing, scaling across devices/screens is an afterthought.

Work in DIPs instead of pixels, this alone will guarantee consistency of hardcoded size values across screen sizes. Also, learn how the resource selectors work and how to utilize fragments, they're all there to help you.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

McLarenF1 posted:

First I just want to say thanks to the happy Prime owners that chimed in before the recent drama broke out.

I know this is going to sound ridiculous, and on a properly built product you shouldn't even have to do stuff like this, but those of you Prime owners that are having issues, you might want to check this out; a simple possible fix for wifi and gps signal is to simply squeeze the top of your device to better engage the pogo pins to the antenna inside the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgx2Kpfi-Ps&hd=1
What the gently caress is up with people making 5 minute long videos to demo something that takes 3 seconds?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Rohaq posted:

What the gently caress is up with people making 5 minute long videos to demo something that takes 3 seconds?
Bets on how many cats she owns?

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Rohaq posted:

This is pretty much every unboxing video ever.

"OK, we've now measured the dimensions of the box, spent 20 minutes opening the box and now we are going to spend another ten fondling the wall charger..."

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was chatting up a friend of mine earlier today and she noticed my Transformer and started asking me about tablets, saying she had been toying with the idea of getting one for a little while. I told her that while the Prime is out now, it's not a huge jump in technology and its mere presence on the market would drive the Transformer's cost down sooner or later. Knowing her I doubt this plan will come to fruition for a long while, but how good was the advice that I gave to her?

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

C-Euro posted:

Was chatting up a friend of mine earlier today and she noticed my Transformer and started asking me about tablets, saying she had been toying with the idea of getting one for a little while. I told her that while the Prime is out now, it's not a huge jump in technology and its mere presence on the market would drive the Transformer's cost down sooner or later. Knowing her I doubt this plan will come to fruition for a long while, but how good was the advice that I gave to her?

Tell her to wait for the iPad3; it will be the biggest jump in tablet technology.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not sure if they're still tough to find, but there's a Prime on SA-Mart already.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

Man I got an Asus Transformer for christmas and it's probably one of the jankiest pieces of electronics ever designed. Honeycomb is such an atrocity that I had to look up how to install a custom ROM just to iron out some of the more egregious lag. It's also unexcusable for scrolling to lag more in portrait than in landscape mode. If ICS doesn't fix things I'm probably going to sell it and move on, goddamn.

Also XDA is a blight on the internet.

Mine works fine, only complaint is honey combs browser speeds.

Puddles
Nov 25, 2005
HAI ^^
So I'm trying to unlock my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (with Rogers in Canada) using a sim unlock code, the only problem is when I try to punch in a code it doesn't bring up the keyboard? Any ideas?

e: non rooted, android 3.1

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

McLarenF1 posted:

gps... pogo pins

You should be able to permanently resolve this by soldering those pins in place. Do they disengage when you take the tablet apart? Might need to cut a small access port if you have to solder them while the tablet is assembled, then patch that.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Jonny 290 posted:

You should be able to permanently resolve this by soldering those pins in place. Do they disengage when you take the tablet apart? Might need to cut a small access port if you have to solder them while the tablet is assembled, then patch that.
I think they said that they are spring loaded. Adding a thin layer of solder to the ends to make they slightly longer should also do the trick without making any holes. But honestly, I think they've fixed the issues in the second and third batches.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

McLarenF1 posted:

I think they said that they are spring loaded. Adding a thin layer of solder to the ends to make they slightly longer should also do the trick without making any holes. But honestly, I think they've fixed the issues in the second and third batches.

Apparently people have been sliding a thin (like 1mm) piece of cardboard or plastic under the PCB where the antennas are in order to make a better connection to the pogo pins when the device is closed. So far people have been reporting good results.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Went ahead and picked up a refurbished keyboard dock for the T-Prime off Amazon and drat this thing is nice. It's pretty much a netbook at this point.

Although now I'm noticing some weird spots under the screen that look like they may be dead pixels... :suicide:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

serewit posted:

Went ahead and picked up a refurbished keyboard dock for the T-Prime off Amazon and drat this thing is nice. It's pretty much a netbook at this point.

Although now I'm noticing some weird spots under the screen that look like they may be dead pixels... :suicide:

Pogo pins for gps, dead pixels, poor app scaling, sd cards sliding out...

Man, these sure are quality tablets.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

Pogo pins for gps, dead pixels, poor app scaling, sd cards sliding out...

Man, these sure are quality tablets.

Thanks we get it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Codiusprime posted:

Thanks we get it.

Yes, let's sweep the endless design failures of the Prime under the rug, it's certainly not salient information for potential tablet buyers.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if you're paying $500 for a device it might be better to wait for something without so many lovely defects? Even if you're an Android fan surely waiting for the slew of Teg3 tablets coming down the pipe (and making sure they're vetted before you buy) might be a more logical path?

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 8, 2012

The Angry Spaniard
Jan 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just received my Prime 32GB w/ dock. Looks fabulous, didn't notice any problems. Currently charging the battery to later install ICS update. What are the tests to run again on this sexy thing to know if yours is hosed up (which I hope is not my case)?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Yes, let's sweep the endless design failures of the Prime under the rug, it's certainly not salient information for potential tablet buyers.

I know it's crazy, but maybe if you're paying $500 for a device it might be better to wait for something without so many lovely defects? Even if you're an Android fan surely waiting for the slew of Teg3 tablets coming down the pipe (and making sure they're vetted before you buy) might be a more logical path?

Not my money :v:

But seriously, why does it matter? Consumer electronics are pretty much poo poo - hell, I've had to return a defective iPhone and iPad before. It's not like any company has a monopoly on quality/lovely manufacturing.

Also it's under warranty so it's not really that big of a deal. (Also the keyboard dock makes this really cool, and I don't think anyone but ASUS is doing that?)

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Oh see I wasn't aware of any problems with the Prime as we don't have snarky rear end comments like that multiple times a page. If only we had a group of idiots hell bent on letting everyone know how lovely Android tablets are, then life would be good. Yep.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crackbone posted:

It might be, if those new android tablets don't suffer from their own design failures.

But android tablets don't have a good track record for good designs so...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The Angry Spaniard posted:

What are the tests to run again on this sexy thing to know if yours is hosed up (which I hope is not my case)?
Check Wi-Fi, check for backlight bleed, check for pitting on the body, check for dead pixels, check that the camera isn't junk.

Don't bother checking GPS; it's defective by design.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

defective by design.

Hey, I see a new thread title!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Codiusprime posted:

Oh see I wasn't aware of any problems with the Prime as we don't have snarky rear end comments like that multiple times a page. If only we had a group of idiots hell bent on letting everyone know how lovely Android tablets are, then life would be good. Yep.

You seem pretty upset about something.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Welp, here we go again.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

serewit posted:

Welp, here we go again.

I won't be the one to perpetuate it this time around.

Have we heard any news on Asus's tiny tablet? I'm happy with my current tabby but that thing is just to nice (sounding). I also think I'm going to pick up a Transformer for my parents, you can get them for a ridiculous price refurbished and they seem really solid.

Question. If my parents mainly use their laptop for browsing the internet, checking email and paying bills online would a Transformer plus dock be a suitable replacement for them?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My Linux Rig posted:

It might be, if those new android tablets don't suffer from their own design failures.

But android tablets don't have a good track record for good designs so...

I though most of the Tegra 2 big name brands (including the original TF) were better built than the Prime. Regardless of weight/thickness/etc, they all seemed to be much out-of-the-box defective than the Prime.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crackbone posted:

I though most of the Tegra 2 big name brands (including the original TF) were better built than the Prime. Regardless of weight/thickness/etc, they all seemed to be much out-of-the-box defective than the Prime.

I really think it was a rush to get it out the door. I hope the TF700T will be a much more solid product, like the original Transformer. It seems like they're already fixing some (ha!) of the manufacturing problems in more recent Primes.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Apparently people have been sliding a thin (like 1mm) piece of cardboard or plastic under the PCB where the antennas are in order to make a better connection to the pogo pins when the device is closed. So far people have been reporting good results.
I should also report that those same people should return something they paid good money for and hold the company accountable instead of hacking it with cardboard inserts.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I am working on a TF prime GPS solution that will fix it once and for all.

Basically i'm going to rip off the pogo pin, wire in mini coax and epoxy a small RP-SMA coax connector to the back of the Prime. We should be able to use a standard Wifi antenna off of this and I expect great GPS coverage once this is done. Moreover, if the GPS reception isn't sufficient, you can swap and try different antennas.

If anybody is in the AR/OK/MO/KS regional area and wants a free GPS fix, let me know. I can't guarantee, but hey, CPR on a dead guy, right? I intend to charge $99 for the fix, here's a chance to get it for free. PM me, or email to jonny290 at gmail .

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I should also report that those same people should return something they paid good money for and hold the company accountable instead of hacking it with cardboard inserts.

Seriously, when Asus realized there was an obvious design flaw they should have offered unconditional refunds to everyone who bought one at least.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Jonny 290 posted:

I am working on a TF prime GPS solution that will fix it once and for all.

Basically i'm going to rip off the pogo pin, wire in mini coax and epoxy a small RP-SMA coax connector to the back of the Prime. We should be able to use a standard Wifi antenna off of this and I expect great GPS coverage once this is done. Moreover, if the GPS reception isn't sufficient, you can swap and try different antennas.

If anybody is in the AR/OK/MO/KS regional area and wants a free GPS fix, let me know. I can't guarantee, but hey, CPR on a dead guy, right? I intend to charge $99 for the fix, here's a chance to get it for free. PM me, or email to jonny290 at gmail .

Holy poo poo I thought your last post was a joke but you really meant it. Shouldn't pretty much every Prime be within the warranty period? I've read the ones with the later revisions don't have the same problem.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crackbone posted:

G-tablet

That was a Tegra 2 tablet. And actually you're right, other than the nauseating display, it still worked better than a transformer. It was still a pretty lovely tablet though.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Holy poo poo I thought your last post was a joke but you really meant it. Shouldn't pretty much every Prime be within the warranty period? I've read the ones with the later revisions don't have the same problem.

They removed GPS off the spec sheet, they all have the same problems

This is a possible fix though

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

No way, that would be admitting defeat! Just keep coming up with "fixes" and saying it works for me.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

I agree with you. My Prime has a week left to return it to Best Buy, and I haven't completely decided if I'm going to get rid of it yet. The WiFi performance on mine isn't terrible, just mediocre, and the rest of the tablet is so incredible that it is going to be a really hard decision.

Regardless I'm just glad that in terms of software and hardware (design, not necessarily reliability) Android tablets are finally catching up to the iPad. I've owned the iPad and iPad 2, and while nice tablets I'm glad there are some viable Android alternatives.

If I do decide to return it I'll probably hold out for the T700T. But maybe the iPad 3 announcement will convince me otherwise.

Ciabatta
Aug 20, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Codiusprime posted:

Seriously, when Asus realized there was an obvious design flaw they should have offered unconditional refunds to everyone who bought one at least.

They did in the UK at least, but I haven't seen anything for anywhere else. Even better, it was refund or extended warranty, so if you were ok with no GPS you could still benefit from their incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Don Lapre posted:

They removed GPS off the spec sheet, they all have the same problems

This is a possible fix though

Looks like quite an great fix to mhahahahhahahaaa

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)