Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

moot the hopple posted:

2) How much of the NCR/Legion stuff can I do without loving up the independent New Vegas stuff?
It's impossible to screw up the Independent route. It's always there as a fallback in case you screw up with all of the other factions. Just don't go past the point of no return (which you can't miss).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sheen Sheen posted:

Isn't it pretty much a given that someone will make Fallout: New York as long as the series remains profitable? It's more or less the most iconic American setting in existence, and given Fallout's Americana thing I have to imagine that it will happen at some point (this is also why I don't think Fallout: Canada will ever happen)

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure it will end up like a comment I saw on the trailer for one of the NV DLCs on YouTube.

"Fallout 4 will be awesome it will be in New York and you can be a brotherhood from the start and start with power armor and the brotherhood will be in the Statue of Liberty and the Enclave will be in the Empire State Building and you'll fight to take over New York from the evil Enclaves."

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

gohuskies posted:

Except they'd probably put Mardi Gras in the DLC or some crap like that

A Mardi Gras mission or whatever where you can choose to save or destroy the festival would be cool. Save it by sniper overwatch or bomb sniffing or imparting your intelligence to a security detail or roll charisma and win the day by putting on THE BEST GOD drat PARADE EVER.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Defiance Industries posted:

Sad thing is, I'm pretty sure it will end up like a comment I saw on the trailer for one of the NV DLCs on YouTube.

"Fallout 4 will be awesome it will be in New York and you can be a brotherhood from the start and start with power armor and the brotherhood will be in the Statue of Liberty and the Enclave will be in the Empire State Building and you'll fight to take over New York from the evil Enclaves."

Urgh. My Fallout dream is always to like, hang out, maybe explore a busted out supermarket, repair some old persons treasured [item] if you feel inclined, casually kill someone over the matter of six bottlecaps. You know. Fallout poo poo.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
New Orleans is probably my favourite city in the entire world so it would be amazing to see a Fallout set there.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Defiance Industries posted:

Got to love Youtube comments for destroying all faith in humanity.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Anyone know what Matt MacLean (current South Park lead dev) did in Fallout: NV? I've been trying to find out what to expect from the game but that man is an Amish mystery.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Don't think he did much, if anything. He was on Alpha Protocol, moved on to Dungeon Siege 3 and then went on to South Park. If he did anything on New Vegas it was probably minor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Urgh. My Fallout dream is always to like, hang out, maybe explore a busted out supermarket, repair some old persons treasured [item] if you feel inclined, casually kill someone over the matter of six bottlecaps. You know. Fallout poo poo.

I was always so disappointed that there weren't any dangerous places in FO3 that were as cool as that supermarket.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pope Guilty posted:

I was always so disappointed that there weren't any dangerous places in FO3 that were as cool as that supermarket.

Yeah I STILL think Fallout 3 had some of the coolest set pieces in the entire series, it just wasn't implemented in a way that was interesting or even cohesive. The towns in New Vegas, while separate, felt like a coherent whole while the cities in FO3 were one note gimmicks that felt like they were thought up in a brainstorming session and then plopped down at random.
"Let's make a city that has a nuke in the center" *throws dart at world map where Megaton is*
"Yeah and then the player can choose to like, blow it up or leave it alone. Hey you know what would be great? A town of just kids." *Throws dart*
"Oh and people who think they are vampires" *Dart again*

But I still think the architecture in Washington D.C. proper was really really awesome and it gave off that ominous destroyed feeling of a major city that New Vegas didnt give me (Granted that is largely because it's not destroyed, but it just didn't feel "big" like a US metropolitan city should). Granted it was an absolute pain in the rear end to navigate with its recycled subway tunnels and I wish that was handled better, but the architecture still just really really struck me for some reason.

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
Fallout 3 felt like what they did was divide the map up into ~100 locations, hand each designer a few of them and have them build some apocalyptic poo poo, with no coordination between. So they wind up with some cool set pieces but they don't fit together at all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Let's have a town where they eat outsiders!" *puts two houses next to each other, calls it a day*

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pope Guilty posted:

"Let's have a town where they eat outsiders!" *puts two houses next to each other, calls it a day*

That was honestly one of the best setpieces in Fallout 3. These people who are all so nice out in the middle of nowhere. There's got to be some bodies buried in their basement. Sure enough, there was.

That old gently caress pretty much telling you "These folks eat people!" is a bit disappointing. It sucks to think that people have gotten so stupid that they can't see an obvious setup without it being forced down their throats.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Well to be fair I dont think people have "gotten" stupider.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I still think Fallout set in New Orleans would be awesome. Hillbillies, rude accents, booze, jazz, irradiated swamplands, huge gators, French colonel types and a few wastelanders who just want to hold onto the old timey freedoms of New Orleans. I know it's a little bit like NV with the whole vice thing, but it would be pretty fresh and you could do some neat poo poo with the whole area from the coast to New Orleans to Lafayette.

You wouldn't even need to set the game in the future!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Yo man that's cold, they got hit with a hurricane. Detroit has no excuse.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is livin' in 'Mad Max' times.

I think Fallout has at least to be in the US, but seeing how nicely the Skyrim engine manages the outdoors and the lightning there, I'd really hope it to be in some woodland area, and not in some brown desert/wasteland setting. With abandoned locations partly reclaimed by nature maybe? STALKER comes to mind. Even though brown/yellow and nothing else is probably what we're gonna get. Hell, even Skyrim is almost too brown.

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 9, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I think there's still room for green. New Vegas had Zion, while FO3 had Harold's Grove and Point Lookout, which I assume is canon, even if some deny the former.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Neutron Bandit posted:

Anyone know what Matt MacLean (current South Park lead dev) did in Fallout: NV? I've been trying to find out what to expect from the game but that man is an Amish mystery.
Matt wrote the dialogue for all of the ranger stations (Alpha through Foxtrot) and a few other side quests. I think he may also have set up a few secondary locations.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is a really gimmicky idea, but I'd like to see a webcomic based on what your companions preoccupy themselves with in the Lucky 38 while you're gallivanting about the wastes. It's not as if any of them has much in common with the others.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think one of the really interesting things about this game is that they made the Lucky 38 Presidential Suite such a lonely zone of despair. It's pretty much the de facto headquarters of the game but it's such a hauntingly unpleasant place to be.

High roller suite.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mastiff posted:

This is a really gimmicky idea, but I'd like to see a webcomic based on what your companions preoccupy themselves with in the Lucky 38 while you're gallivanting about the wastes. It's not as if any of them has much in common with the others.

"Let's go, then."
"We can't."
"Why not?"
"We're waiting for the Courier."
"Oh."
"..."
"..."
"And he left us no chems and one bottle of whisky."
"drat."

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

redmercer posted:

"Let's go, then."
"We can't."
"Why not?"
"We're waiting for the Courier."
"Oh."
"..."
"..."
"And he left us no chems and one bottle of whisky."
"drat."

Joke is on you. I leave the lucky38 fully stocked with food, guns, booze, and chems.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Boogle posted:

Joke is on you. I leave the lucky38 fully stocked with food, guns, booze, and chems.

Yeah seriously dude, think of your bros.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ddraig posted:

New Orleans is probably my favourite city in the entire world so it would be amazing to see a Fallout set there.

I usually hate the "Fallout should be set in <my hometown>" chat but New Orleans would basically just be a really big version of the Point Lookout DLC and since that DLC was the best thing about Fallout 3 I'm down with this.

Boogle posted:

They actually drink that poo poo, too. I left some Nuka Whatever out for that cool glowy effect and randomly I got the night vision effect while out wandering the wastes. Turns out Arcade was partying back at the Lucky 38 :mad:

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Boogle posted:

"Why'd he leave us with so little?"

FLASHBACK

Courier: "Alright, I left them plenty of Buffout, Psycho, whisky, ammo, food... To the suite, Victor."

*elevator doors open to bullet-chewed walls and fresh bloodstains*

Courier: "Oh God oh God oh God..."

Victor: "It's alright pardner, I'll just call up some of my buddies at the Ultra-Luxe, we'll get this mess cleaned up."

cat with hands
Mar 14, 2006

When I shit I like to scream "WORSHIP THE GOD EMPEROR ON HIS GOLDEN THRONE." Mom hates it.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

High roller suite.

Gazeebo floor.

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anyone seen the easter egg where feral ghouls start doing the thriller dance?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dudes! posted:

Has anyone seen the easter egg where feral ghouls start doing the thriller dance?

I think that's a mod.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Police Automaton posted:

Now, now, lay off Detroit. Them people is livin' in 'Mad Max' times.

I think Fallout has at least to be in the US, but seeing how nicely the Skyrim engine manages the outdoors and the lightning there, I'd really hope it to be in some woodland area, and not in some brown desert/wasteland setting. With abandoned locations partly reclaimed by nature maybe? STALKER comes to mind. Even though brown/yellow and nothing else is probably what we're gonna get. Hell, even Skyrim is almost too brown.

Stalker didn't go far enough with the natural reclamation, although that's explained away with ~the magic of the zone~. Google the Chernobyl disaster area and you will find that it's green as gently caress after less than 30 years of no human habitation. Fallout is set centuries after most of civilization was incinerated. I think the whole association between nuclear post-apocalyptia and desert badlands has outlived its usefulness.

But honestly, I wish we'd get a more seamless world. Transitions between areas in Stalker were perfectly fine with me, but the hundreds of transitions between the overworld and some dinky shack or two room cave were just grating.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I think it's mostly the fact that Fallout's number 1 influence is Mad Max.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Knees Club posted:

Stalker didn't go far enough with the natural reclamation, although that's explained away with ~the magic of the zone~. Google the Chernobyl disaster area and you will find that it's green as gently caress after less than 30 years of no human habitation. Fallout is set centuries after most of civilization was incinerated. I think the whole association between nuclear post-apocalyptia and desert badlands has outlived its usefulness.

Given how pretty snow looks in Skyrim, blowing in the wind, cresting peaks and escarpments, I think a "nuclear winter" setting would work nicely.

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I think that's a mod.

No its not unless steam added it in an update.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dudes! posted:

No its not unless steam added it in an update.

You sure? Because the wiki mentions nothing about this, I've never personally encountered it in all of my hours playing the game, and a cursory Google search for "Fallout New Vegas Ghouls Thriller" brings up a bunch of fan-made poo poo.

Dudes
Jan 21, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You sure? Because the wiki mentions nothing about this, I've never personally encountered it in all of my hours playing the game, and a cursory Google search for "Fallout New Vegas Ghouls Thriller" brings up a bunch of fan-made poo poo.

I sneaking up on some ghouls on the road to the Repcom factory and I looked down the barrel of my silenced varmit rifle and saw some ghouls dancing!

I didn't pick wild wasteland.

Dudes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 12, 2012

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Broken Knees Club posted:

But honestly, I wish we'd get a more seamless world. Transitions between areas in Stalker were perfectly fine with me, but the hundreds of transitions between the overworld and some dinky shack or two room cave were just grating.

You're describing the load screens in between two different types of cells. It's a limitation of the engine. Remember, the two recent fallout games were basically mods of the Oblivion engine, and Oblivion came out in 2006.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Dudes! posted:

I sneaking up on some ghouls on the road to the Repcom factory and I looked down the barrel of my silenced varmit rifle and saw some ghouls dancing!

I didn't pick wild wasteland.

Then you got a glitched animation that looked somewhat similar to the dance, because that just doesn't happen under normal circumstances.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Mooktastical posted:

You're describing the load screens in between two different types of cells. It's a limitation of the engine. Remember, the two recent fallout games were basically mods of the Oblivion engine, and Oblivion came out in 2006.

The problem was not 2006, it was the abominable engine and the fact that it didn't get put out of its misery after Oblivion. The problem is still there in Skyrim, although I don't know how much of it is due to an engine limitation.

Death by Cranes
May 3, 2006

These Blockbuster bombs don't go off unless you hit them ju-u-u-u-st right.
This whole talk of using present day landmarks and/or cities in the Fallout universe is something that is getting a bit out of hand.
The great thing about F1 and F2 was that you might have a big city from before the war, but it was re-birthed as a completely different thing. Adytum and San Francisco comes to mind.
After F3 and NV San Fran would probably be inhabited by mutant gay people with pink guns. The first games were a lot more realistic in that sense and the newer are generally more gimmicky - even without Wild Wasteland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yes, because there were never any kind of distinguished and unique towns based on pre-war cities in the first two games. Also, New Reno doesn't exist, and certainly wasn't a place you could go in 2.