Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!
Oh, come on. Now even the update graphs are getting suspenseful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wili posted:

Oh, come on. Now even the update graphs are getting suspenseful.

I guess Elan's about to find out what's happened to Roy. And it looks like V's noticed what's about to happen upstairs, at least. I hope she has a feather fall.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Even if Rich's Kickstarter becomes one of the top five ever, it likely won't be there for long. If you haven't seen, Double Fine Productions have put up their own Kickstarter for a new adventure game, and in less than 24 hours it has already had more than $370,000 pledged. Rich'll need to think up some absolutely incredible new rewards to top whatever they'll end up getting.

Edit: It's $370,000 in eight hours.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Yeah well good luck competing with Double Fine productions :P He's at least going to stay on the top 10 for a while.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

fallingdownjoe posted:

Even if Rich's Kickstarter becomes one of the top five ever, it likely won't be there for long. If you haven't seen, Double Fine Productions have put up their own Kickstarter for a new adventure game, and in less than 24 hours it has already had more than $370,000 pledged. Rich'll need to think up some absolutely incredible new rewards to top whatever they'll end up getting.

Edit: It's $370,000 in eight hours.
Aren't there also talks about Notch funding Psychonauts 2 for Double Fine? If this means two different DF games in a window of a couple of years, I will be one happy bastard.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Colon V posted:

Aren't there also talks about Notch funding Psychonauts 2 for Double Fine? If this means two different DF games in a window of a couple of years, I will be one happy bastard.

There have been like 4 in just the past year and a half... (all downloadable stuff, but Double Fine games nonetheless)

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I had great fun with Costume Quest, which they released a while ago. It's not long, and certainly not perfect, but it's got a lot of the old charm of Psychonauts.

fallingdownjoe fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 9, 2012

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

fallingdownjoe posted:

I had great fun with Costume Quest, which they released a while ago. It's not long, and certainly not perfect, but it's got a lot of the old charm of Psychonauts.

Playing that game while drunk on Halloween with my girlfriend was an experience. She's not from America, so she never did the whole Trick or Treating thing.

So what inappropriate body part does the main character of Ennis' kids book have for a face, anyway?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cuchulain posted:

Playing that game while drunk on Halloween with my girlfriend was an experience. She's not from America, so she never did the whole Trick or Treating thing.

So what inappropriate body part does the main character of Ennis' kids book have for a face, anyway?

I'm hoping there will be meat-mannequin loving.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Cuchulain posted:

I'm not from America, either. I've just gathered from pop culture (mainly the Simpsons and Calvin & Hobbes) that it's a Thing in the US. I thought the game was just really sweet. I think I'm going to go boot it up this evening, actually.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
And the kickstarter is up to $577,820 as I write this! More than 1000% funding! :toot:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

Nevermind the localisms, his editor will have their work cut out for them.

"Okay Garth, before I read the latest draft, remember what we talked about. If I read this, will I find any scenes with assrape or head trauma?"
"Haha, no, you don't need to worry about that. No arserape in there at all."

And then the editor opens the draft, immediately looks up at Ennis and sighs heavily.

I will say this for Garth Ennis- he totally avoided all the usual "I am edgy" cliches in Dan Dare. It's a straightforward modern update of the character, with a good war-story vibe.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Maxwell Lord posted:

I will say this for Garth Ennis- he totally avoided all the usual "I am edgy" cliches in Dan Dare. It's a straightforward modern update of the character, with a good war-story vibe.

Garth Ennis can write the hell out of a war story. It's scary how well he does them.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

prefect posted:

Garth Ennis can write the hell out of a war story. It's scary how well he does them.

I thought he was bitter his war story stuff, which he apparently likes to do,isn't as popular as his other stuff. This may motivate what happens in his other, more mainstream works.

But, hey! It looks like the funding drive will end before it slows down.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MikeJF posted:

New update on the kickstarter, and apparently two-fifths of the money is going to postage. I just got the $10, but if there'd been a 'don't worry about the magnet' box I'd have ticked it. I just wanted the stories, and he's not gonna get any money after shipping to Oz.

There is! Go to Manage My Pledge and tick the first box, "No Reward - No thanks, I just want to help the project."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ColdPie posted:

There is! Go to Manage My Pledge and tick the first box, "No Reward - No thanks, I just want to help the project."

I was just worried that'd take me off the list for the digital rewards, though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Oh, right. Yeah I dunno.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Keep the 10 dollar reward. At the end of the pledge a survey will be sent out. You can just say no magnet on that and he wont ship you one.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

So if I want to get the most OotS story for my buck, which package would I want to get? I don't own any of the books at all.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kruller posted:

So if I want to get the most OotS story for my buck, which package would I want to get? I don't own any of the books at all.

222 bucks gets you the whole story.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Affi posted:

This is not the best bang for your buck at all, though.

$69 will get you the 3 "Print-Only" books. These is the content that you can't get online These are mostly B&W and cover:

1) Origin of the PCs - prequel story
2) Start of Darkness - prequel story for the villains
3) Snips and Snails - covers various other strips not in the story, including the Dragon magazine ones.

For the other books, they're pretty much all available on the website, as they collect the main story. My understanding is they have some introductions from the characters, and occasional other strips, but the vast majority of these books are available in webcomic form.

Any order $10+ will get you the PDF files. Any book or art order gets you the notepad, stickers, and coloring book.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Affi posted:

Thank you for the summation; this is what I have ordered.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Casao posted:

This is not the best bang for your buck at all, though.

$69 will get you the 3 "Print-Only" books. These is the content that you can't get online These are mostly B&W and cover:

1) Origin of the PCs - prequel story
2) Start of Darkness - prequel story for the villains
3) Snips and Snails - covers various other strips not in the story, including the Dragon magazine ones.

For the other books, they're pretty much all available on the website, as they collect the main story. My understanding is they have some introductions from the characters, and occasional other strips, but the vast majority of these books are available in webcomic form.

Any order $10+ will get you the PDF files. Any book or art order gets you the notepad, stickers, and coloring book.

Reading 800+ pages at once on the web is still not as easy as picking up a book. Also the books do contain story bits that are not online.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

HKR posted:

Reading 800+ pages at once on the web is still not as easy as picking up a book. Also the books do contain story bits that are not online.

Right, and I've certainly been pleased with owning all the books, but in a purely "bang for buck" sense, you get very little extra story per dollar spent on books 1-4. Books D, -1, and 0 are all new, though D is for the most part out of continuity with the online comic.

Still, if you have $222, get all the books.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

HKR posted:

Yeah, definitely (though an iPad helps).

Just going for maximum value for your $. $220 is a lot to spend, especially when it will be 2+ months before you get them, anyway.

Choc
Dec 1, 2005

I hate LOVE the SA purchase system
important update for international customers!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/599092525/the-order-of-the-stick-reprint-drive/posts/173428?ref=email&show_token=75d3608bf3573464

You need to add postage costs as Amazon and Kickstarter wont for some reason:( Also
A comment on the thread I found pertinent before it got lost under "sperg" about dragons:(

David LaRoss about 5 hours ago
There is no extra charge for international shipping on a magnet-only order. Rich is sending those by first-class mail, and the difference in cost for domestic vs. international is under a dollar - low enough for him to just pay the extra, he's said.

I updated my pledge with an extra dollar to cover that but as it says you don't need to.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just want to say that I want to do unspeakable things with whoever came up with this kickstarter thing.

I want to tell Rich that I don't want the Magnet and he shouldn't bother with the cost of shipping. How should I do that?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 12, 2012

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I just want to say that I want to do unspeakable things with whoever came up with this kickstarter thing.

I want to tell Rich that I don't want the Magnet and he shouldn't bother with the cost of shipping. How should I do that?

When the pledge drive ends, they'll send you an email survey asking if you added any extras to your pledge. I presume you'll be able to decline the magnet then, and still get the digital stories later.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Can someone who's already pledged and thus has commenting rights ask what it'd take to get digital copies for sale? It's killing me that that's not an option.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Can someone who's already pledged and thus has commenting rights ask what it'd take to get digital copies for sale? It's killing me that that's not an option.

He said on his forums that he won't sell digital copies of the books because the profit margins are so slim on paper books that cutting into their sales, even a little (assuming a couple of people go digital instead of buying the physical books), would mess things up. He wants to have physical copies around.

I'm not saying I agree with his analysis, but it's his decision.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
And honestly, if you want a purely digital copy just go ahead and "right click->save as" your way to glory. He's already giving it away digitally, you can donate more money to him if you want.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

The Werle posted:

And honestly, if you want a purely digital copy just go ahead and "right click->save as" your way to glory. He's already giving it away digitally, you can donate more money to him if you want.

I've done this for probably about 2/3rds of the strip (less, now that I think about it). I put them in a zip file and then can open with a comic book reader. It works pretty well, although some of the more oddly formatted strips, like Roy falling to his death, don't translate well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Werle posted:

I assumed they were referring to the print-only books.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

MikeJF posted:

I assumed they were referring to the print-only books.
Also, the book-bound versions of the regular strip have several little bonuses. Some don't really add much (footnotes for Haley's easily-decyphered speech), but IIRC there's also some neat stuff like the recovery of Roy's flesh golem. Would be nice to have them in digital.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really don't get his logic about not doing it, if he charged the same for digital copies as print copies, sans postage. He'd be bringing in exactly as much money. And he could go longer before needing another print run.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 13, 2012

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I really don't get his logic about not doing it, if he charged the same for digital copies as print copies, sans postage. He'd be bringing in exactly as much money. And he could go longer before needing another print run.

Rich Burlew posted:

Suffice to say, digital pdf downloads are not in the works at this time. My concerns are not piracy; the majority of people who are not willing to pay for content simply don't read the stuff that doesn't get posted here, and the rest, I can't stop. No, my concern is that printing is a very difficult business with very, VERY thin margins of profit compared to the amount of money invested. And those margins are mostly dictated by the economy of scale: printing 5000 copies of a book may only cost 30% less than printing 10,000, and printing 20,000 may only cost 60% more. But they all sell for the same price. So, my printing business only functions if I can sell ALL of the copies that I print, and I estimate the print run as exactly as possible.

Releasing books digitally messes with both of those needs. I can't predict how many people will buy digitally (polls are worthless), and I can't sell a paper copy to someone who has bought a digital one. If half of my predicted customers buy digital instead of paper, then the cost of each paper copy skyrockets and I can't afford to print them anymore. And contrary to what people think, not everyone wants to buy digital.

In the end, I want my books to be, well, BOOKS. I am therefore willing to sacrifice the few digital sales (and I do believe them to be relatively few, since my work is online already anyway) in order to keep my paper business in business.

TLDR: Digital downloads might make printing books impossible due to higher cost per unit.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Theler posted:

TLDR: Digital downloads might make printing books impossible due to higher cost per unit.

To expound slightly: printing costs aren't, as a rule, fixed per-book. The majority of the printer's cost - which gets passed along to the guy ordering the books, Rich in this case - end up being things like setting up the presses... and those costs remain pretty much the same whether you're printing 1000 books or 100000 books.

So when you're figuring "how much does it cost me to get X number of books printed," the equation you want isn't "cost-per-copy * X", it's "setup-costs + (cost-per-copy * X)", which means that the smaller the print run, the more it costs you per book... and thus the smaller your profit margin per book becomes. And for a small-press boutique like GitP, cutting that margin can shift the printing costs from "thin profits" to "no profits" all the way to "net losses" right quick.

(There's also the fact that when you have books you can't sell - because, say, a significant portion of your customer base opted for a pdf - you have a sunk cost; you had to pay money to print 'em and you can't get that money back. And if you have enough of them you may be paying for storage... and so on and so forth.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's still a depressingly short-sighted and old fashioned look on things. If that significant a portion of your consumer base is going to jump to digital if given the chance, loving do it. Digital does not go out of print and has a production cost of 0; he's letting fear of lost profits blind him to the greater profits he could gain. And let's be real, pushing all your chips in and betting on physical books staying viable is a goddamn sucker bet at this point. It's sad that he's making it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The fact of the matter is, if he does a print run of the size that he would have done had he not planned to sell digital, then sells digital also at the same price, and some of the people who would have bought books buy digital, then at the end of the day he's had exactly the same intake of money and a greater stock meaning longer to go before he needs a reprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

MikeJF posted:

The fact of the matter is, if he does a print run of the size that he would have done had he not planned to sell digital, then sells digital also at the same price, and some of the people who would have bought books buy digital, then at the end of the day he's had exactly the same intake of money and a greater stock meaning longer to go before he needs a reprint.

Thing is, he doesn't want any stock. He wants to be able to sell all the books, which is why he's so careful about getting accurate numbers about how many he needs. If he ends up with any significant amount of left over stock, it means he's either only breaking even or maybe even working at a loss.