Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Chris Avellone just said he'd be down for a Kickstarter campaign to do an old school isometric RPG

quote:

Shub Niggurath @shubn: Now can we get a Kickstarter campaign for an old school isometric RPG by @Obsidian_Ent @ChrisAvellone ? kthx

Chris Avellone @ChrisAvellone: @shubn @Obsidian_Ent I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Oh man, that one I WOULD put 100 dollars down for.

Also, free idea for the documentary: Try and get a video of a couple of minutes to an hour of continued updates to the kickstarter page, zoomed in on the money slowly rising.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
By the end of the week they'll have bankrupted the entire gaming community.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
Ooooooooooh gently caress, I'd be down for that, I'd be INCREDIBLY down for that.

Edit: Referring to Obsidian Kickstarter

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009
This is a great idea, perfect way to get niche titles developed. Though i'm not sure how niche it is, given the overwhelming support. I backed $15 for the game and would throw double that behind an old school RPG. Make it happen!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

evilmiera posted:

Oh man, that one I WOULD put 100 dollars down for.

Also, free idea for the documentary: Try and get a video of a couple of minutes to an hour of continued updates to the kickstarter page, zoomed in on the money slowly rising.

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

*writes "do the most obvious cliche possible" on a slip of paper and hands it to the film crew*

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'm not going to lie, I'd be buying into this even if Schafer had a publisher for it.

However, I will admit that in the last couple years I am exponentially more likely to open my wallet to buy a game or an album if it is directly from the people making it and not through some third-party (or a third party that is minimally invasive like bandcamp or steam). I'm sick of big publishing houses making bad decisions, so I've made a conscious decision to not support the ones I don't like.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Dreylad posted:

By the end of the week they'll have bankrupted the entire gaming community.

Good. Less money for vomited out poo poo sequels to sequels to sequels.

maxnmona posted:

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

*writes "do the most obvious cliche possible" on a slip of paper and hands it to the film crew*

Might I suggest some kind of effect? For instance something where you kind of blur the edges and darken them a bit and give the whole video a kind of sepia tone. You're welcome, you can send me the cheque later.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

brm posted:

now time to send Brain Rynolds a strongly worded letter suggesting he make AC2

You realize Reynolds started his last conference talk with pictures of the sprawling mansion and the fast foreign cars that Social Games(tm) purchased him, right? If he wanted to make another Alpha Centauri game he could have.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

theblackw0lf posted:

Chris Avellone just said he'd be down for a Kickstarter campaign to do an old school isometric RPG

I dunno, I'd rather see Avellone as a writer for a major publisher backed AAA title, as long as they have respect for the talent and won't pull the rug under his feet. I think that Bioware and Bethesda have proved that the CRPG genre gains a lot from high production values.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

maxnmona posted:

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Hey now, don't make me say anything fancy. Just "copy what those other guys did" works fine.

Then again, that takes away the incentive for people to want to pay for the documentary when they can just watch the page on their own. We need to dazzle the audience! Any ideas besides Der Shovel's obvious one?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

not through some third-party (or a third party that is minimally invasive like bandcamp or steam). I'm sick of big publishing houses making bad decisions, so I've made a conscious decision to not support the ones I don't like.

Steam isn't a publisher, just a distributor. They (Valve) don't have any say in the development process.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo

Taffer posted:

Steam isn't a publisher, just a distributor. They (Valve) don't have any say in the development process.
Ah, what I meant there was I'd rather buy directly from the person making the poo poo instead of through anybody that takes a cut. Bandcamp is also a distributor.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think it just crossed the $800,000 mark with my $101 contribution :v:

What put me over the edge, amusingly enough, is the adventure game bit where Tim is pixel hunting to pick up the glass.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

They just passed the $800k mark.

So it took them less than a day to raise twice the amount of money they were hoping to raise in a month.

They're gonna have to sign a lot of posters. Also the credits to this game are gonna be hilarious.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

wodin posted:

If he wanted to make another Alpha Centauri game he could have.

I don't know, it seems to me if your latest claim to fame is being lead designer on a Farmville clone it's highly unlikely you have another classic like Alpha Centauri in you. And even if you have, the devil you sold your soul to won't let you do it.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
So its over 800k now yeah, but is it even over a day yet? How many hours have passed since this has been posted? This is loving ridiculous hah.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Monarch posted:

They just passed the $800k mark.

So it took them less than a day to raise twice the amount of money they were hoping to raise in a month.

They're gonna have to sign a lot of posters. Also the credits to this game are gonna be hilarious.

Unfortunately, the cost of all the posters and sharpies ate the entire budget up so they have to put up another kickstarter.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

theblackw0lf posted:

Whelp. Sign me up.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

theblackw0lf posted:

If they make it $15 or less for entry with a copy of the game at the end of development, I'll magically transport my money into their bank as well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Captain_duck posted:

So its over 800k now yeah, but is it even over a day yet? How many hours have passed since this has been posted? This is loving ridiculous hah.

A bit less than 21 hours.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It wouldn't shock me if they end up with close to $2 million. There will be a sharp uptick in prepurchases (they aren't really contributions at this point) as people get off work and hit facebook/reddit/forums etc tonight.

Also this:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Ok Toys For Bob (creators of Star Control 2), time for your Star Control 4 kickstarter project.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 9, 2012

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Executive Producer

Visit http://www.doublefine.com/ohmygodthankyou for the full list!

Special Thanks

No seriously do you want this to take longer than you spent playing the game?

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Given how utterly mediocre all the Telltale stuff has been, I'm kinda glad we only have 2/3rds of the Monkey Island writing staff on board.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

theblackw0lf posted:

Ok Toys For Bob (creators of Star Control 2), time for your Star Control 4 kickstarter project.

I could get behind this. It's just that Atari probably still has the rights for the brand.

FTL Games, bring us Dungeon Master! :colbert:

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Temascos posted:

I have no doubt it'll keep going, people want Double Fine to do well by this and will certainly aim to double the original target by the end of the month!

Gotta qoute myself because my prediction has already been smashed, holy crud.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Der Shovel posted:

Good. Less money for vomited out poo poo sequels to sequels to sequels.

Er...

theblackw0lf posted:

StoryTime posted:

FTL Games, bring us Dungeon Master! :colbert:

Palpek posted:

Ok, now create a Psychonauts 2 kickstarter, set the goal on a humble 10-15 millions mark. Now go.

signalnoise posted:

I'd donate for a real LSL game instead of the last two piles of trash we got.

dvorak posted:

Someone needs to get a Kickstarter together for Dark Seed 3. Mike Dawson could probably use the money.

FuriousGeorge posted:

I hope they fake everyone out and make Brutal Legend 2 with that money because, gently caress the haters, I really loved Brutal Legend.

In other news, I'm starting a Kickstarter to fund Star Control 4, Alpha Centauri 2, Darklands 2 and Planescape: Torment 2. Who's in?

:irony:

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Backed. This is a fantastic and I hope more old school pc games get funded this way. If Obsidian get's something together I'll be behind it more.

What a cool time to be a pc gamer. This poo poo could never happen on console.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

GhostDog posted:

I don't know, it seems to me if your latest claim to fame is being lead designer on a Farmville clone it's highly unlikely you have another classic like Alpha Centauri in you. And even if you have, the devil you sold your soul to won't let you do it.

I think once someone gets a taste of the social games lifestyle, they ain't ever going to go back to working 80 hour weeks to make niche games for a niche audience.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
While we're making a wishlist of poo poo we'd like to see get produced this way, I'd like Volition to Kickstart a Freespace 3 project please.

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat
This is amazingly awesome. Backing this so hard.

Also, Kickstarter for Alpha Protocol 2 anyone?

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

The Donut posted:

This is amazingly awesome. Backing this so hard.

Also, Kickstarter for Alpha Protocol 2 anyone?

gently caress Alpha Protocol, with their own budget, its time they make a new Planetscape Torment-esque RPG.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Finish LOOM tia.

Seriously though, this could be a really great thing. It won't help entrants to the field, but it can go a long way to showing publishers what people want. And, if the publishers still don't want to broaden their horizons, maybe more talented developers will pick up on this sort of thing.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Farbtoner posted:

Er...

Hah! Proof that game companies make sequels because people want sequels, even when given the possibility of funding anything they can imagine by any cult game auteur.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

Farbtoner posted:

Er...

The key difference that I think you're missing is that these wouldn't exactly be "vomited" out.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I've always thought that if Telltale or Double Fine were to acquire the rights to the 60's Batman and Robin live-action series (otherwise known as objectively the best version of Batman), it would make for a fantastic episodic point and click adventure game series. Both studios definitely have the writing talent to properly pull it off, too.

trw
Dec 24, 2003

SGRaaize posted:

gently caress Alpha Protocol, with their own budget, its time they make a new Planetscape Torment-esque RPG.

We got Mask of the Betrayer and I would really like something more like that.

This does say something interesting about the pc market though. Like Minecraft and Terraria has showed earlier this sort of 'pre-order to get to play a beta and help putting in money to the development can continue' works if the audience likes the potential. It also says something about the pricing model. Paying 15$ for a game instead of going through publishers/retailers etc might really start to gain ground. We've already seen music go this way with indie labels.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I've always thought that if Telltale or Double Fine were to acquire the rights to the 60's Batman and Robin live-action series (otherwise known as objectively the best version of Batman), it would make for a fantastic episodic point and click adventure game series. Both studios definitely have the writing talent to properly pull it off, too.

Stop, you're wrong, Telltale is a lovely company that pulls random famous games from the past, buys their rights, makes cheap and mediocre titles with almost no good gameplay and some ok writing, releases it in episodic content to make sure they get good money out of it, to buy more franchises from the past and keep the vicious cycle.

Tim Schafer is here, you can finally turn your back to them and never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

SGRaaize posted:

Stop, you're wrong, Telltale is a lovely company that pulls random famous games from the past, buys their rights, makes cheap and mediocre titles with almost no good gameplay and some ok writing, releases it in episodic content to make sure they get good money out of it, to buy more franchises from the past and keep the vicious cycle.

Tim Schafer is here, you can finally turn your back to them and never look back.

I've only played the Sam & Max games and Puzzle Agent 2 but anybody who made those Sam and Max games is automatically not poo poo. :colbert:

I would love for Kickstarter to become a thing for funding older style games. Looking Glass Studios, please come back and make another game. :allears:

• Locked thread