Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Piell posted:

and so do Danny and Grizzly (I'm pretty sure Ivan has the same one too, only he has a hat)

And Barry. And every white dude on that screen. Holy Cow those are some hideous graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Just captured the airport on BiA and.. why do mercs tell me they hear noises or see an enemy if there is no fog of war? Thats just a minor nitpick, what I really want to know is why the hell don't my mercs return fire if they're getting fired upon? I know I know, guard mode. But that means they fire whenever they see an enemy. What if I don't want them to fire asap? What if I'm waiting to ambush an enemy, and they see me and start firing? Or what if I left guard mode on on accident and botched my stealthy attack cause my mercs started firing early?

Actually now that I think about it, guard mode sucks. Half the time I'm told 'can't make the shot!'. Yet when I go into plan and go and tell all of them to fire the guy 2 feet away from them they have no issues shooting the guy.

Fallout Tactics let me do such a thing, I could position them in defense stance or whatever it was, when they saw an enemy they'd blink, and if the enemy started shooting them they'd return fire. Hell on FT I could also tell them to fire when they were only so accurate.

Really thats the biggest thing that irritates me. I can either tell my mercs to fire the second they see an enemy, or tell them to not fire period, even if they're getting shot at. Is it too much to ask that mercs return fire while being shot so I don't have to babysit them?

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

It really seems like they went halfway to implementing fog of war (there's the 'spot a new enemy' option for auto-pause and the sound clips you mentioned) but then just scrapped it for some reason.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Other than maxing out wisdom, how else would you distribute the stats for a minmaxed custom merc with the default minimum/maximum thresholds?

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

It seems like the best option for FoW would be to use LoS (which they have implemented), camo and character skill to determine whether or not you can see people.

The game just seems poorly thought out right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Piell posted:

Lynx and Malice have the exact same face, and so do Danny and Grizzly (I'm pretty sure Ivan has the same one too, only he has a hat)

Meltdown looks like loving Kinzie from SR3. :wtc:

I'm pretty sure that the males have two or three head models, with a face texture slapped on, while the female mercs have only one head.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So the consensus right now is come back in 6 months and see if its worth it?

Yannos
Aug 4, 2006

You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee.Black. You have five earth minutes ... Make it Perfect!
Well all things considered I think it's pretty good. Just don't expect it to be the same as JA2. It's not an AAA title and is not priced as such as well but maybe you should hold back until there's a discount weekend if 40$ seems a bit pricey for a gamble.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Carcer posted:

Best case scenario the game is simply unfinished because they ran out of time/money and they keep working to fix it up.

Worst case scenario these guys just suck at making a squad-based tactical games, which is what I'm more and more leaning towards considering some of the design decisions they made.

Edit: Well, the first update just went out, so maybe, just maybe...

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 9, 2012

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
I got it for $33, pre-order deal. No going back I guess.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Other than maxing out wisdom, how else would you distribute the stats for a minmaxed custom merc with the default minimum/maximum thresholds?
This is my probably my favorite power IMP setup.

Machinegunner and night-ops means you're pretty versatile. You can always find a nice LMG or assault rifle for the daytime, and a nice SMG for night. Never know when you are going to find yourself in a fight.

He has enough marksmanship for an MP5A4, which is nice to start with. People who insist their IMP must be able to do everything might not like 0 explosives, but personally I never had a big problem letting other mercs handle that one. You generally don't need everybody to have explosive skill. I like having some mechanical and medical though, for gun unjamming/repairing and bandaging.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Filthy Monkey posted:

This is my probably my favorite power IMP setup.

I'd probably take like 7 points from marksmanship and drop the into strength, because 65 is a tad low for my taste and I'm in the camp that considers anything above 65 starting marksmanship a pure luxury, although the MP5 is very nice in the beginning, but other than that that's pretty much exactly what I do as well.

Stat-wise anyway.
I haven't played the game too much since they added the new skill system so I need to experiment a bit with that, but there are some really, really nice skills other than Machinegunner in the game now, such as Leader (or whatever it's called) or even Scout, all of which can be really useful depending on what you're gonna use your IMP merc for. Besides, you can get plenty of grunts with Machinegunner skill anyway for your run-of-the-mill riflemen. Not that it's a bad skill or anything.

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE

Vatek posted:

I got it for $33, pre-order deal. No going back I guess.

Honestly, this is what I paid and i'm not particularly angry or disappointed. I knew what to expect, and even if mods don't make it better I'm sure I'll have fun playing a lovely game (because that can be fun sometimes too!)

Edit:

Basically what I'm saying is that I expected it to be a lot worse than it actually is. It ain't great, but it seems like it'll be a decent time killer. Maybe with time it could be like JA2 was as far as taking up time was, too.

Autism fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 9, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Maybe in a couple years we'll have Back in Action 1.13. :smith:

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

TastyLemonDrops posted:

As a general killer I get rid of mechanical and explosives and take the nonswimmer "perk" since it gives you extra skill points. Then max everything but medical, marksmanship and leadership. Usually I just put in 79 marksmanship and either use the remaining points to boost the merc to level 2 or dump it all in leadership.
I usually take the Machinegun and Night Ops perks. Or Sniper with scouting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Burning Mustache posted:

I'm in the camp that considers anything above 65 starting marksmanship a pure luxury

Why 65? The cutoff for gear would be 69.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why 65? The cutoff for gear would be 69.

It's not specific to gear, just an approximate number, based on my own experience, where anything above it means the skill points are better spent in the physicals stats that are way harder to level up, and anything below it makes the merc too ineffective in the beginning. It's not a specific number for any particular reason, but around 65 seems to be the sweet-spot for me.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Brand new JA2 1.13 player here.

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out the logic of how the keyboard shortcuts work. For example, according to this list, "S" should change the merc's stance to standing, and "L" should turn the merc to face a certain direction. However, "S" is saving the game, and "L" is loading that quicksave made by pressing "S"! Similarly, "M", which should open the menu, does absolutely nothing.

Help! I'm confused and I feel like I have no control over the game. :(

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Alt+S is quicksave, so my guess is that you alt-tabbed recently, which makes the Alt key stick. Press it again and everything will go back to normal.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Crescendo posted:

Brand new JA2 1.13 player here.

This is probably a stupid question, but I can't figure out the logic of how the keyboard shortcuts work. For example, according to this list, "S" should change the merc's stance to standing, and "L" should turn the merc to face a certain direction. However, "S" is saving the game, and "L" is loading that quicksave made by pressing "S"! Similarly, "M", which should open the menu, does absolutely nothing.

Help! I'm confused and I feel like I have no control over the game. :(

I'm guessing that your mercs are also walking backwards for no reason? If you alt-tab out of the game, the alt key gets stuck. Another keypress or three should unfuck it.

e: ^^^ oh, cock

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Well that was easy. Thanks! :downs:

I read the warning about walking sideways, but I didn't think the ALT key would stick after alt-tabbing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I love clicking on some cool weapon on the area map, and selling it because the game thinks alt is being held.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any way to change my facing in BiA without actually issuing a move command?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Carcer posted:

That seems like a very reasonable decision. First impression is that they have the core gameplay correct but it just isn't finished yet and suffers from a severe lack of polish. Spelling errors, typos and weird poo poo all over the place, some of which is just laughable- i.e. the "Tough" trait is "Though" and the AK-47 uses 5.45mm ammunition (ironically the game has an AKM using the proper 7.62 WP, so I assume the AK should actually be the 74 but the description is unambiguously for the original). No real bugs encountered so far though, so at least if they were going to rush it out the door it looks like the focused on the proper stuff. Its just baffling because I can't imagine the text issues would take long to fix and one decent QA pass would have improved first impressions immensely. It really, really, really feels like a beta that should be a couple months away from release. But it also feels like a reasonably solid platform for other people to eventually build a modern 1.13 off of.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Alright in my current playthrough Razor just stabbed Mike to death with a katana and Fidel just gunned down almost 2 dozen redshirts single handedly. Never change, you guys. :ese:

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Filthy Monkey posted:

Is there any way to change my facing in BiA without actually issuing a move command?

Hold right click and aim with the arrow. Works when you're moving a character to to tell them where to look after they move, too.

LGD posted:

That seems like a very reasonable decision. First impression is that they have the core gameplay correct but it just isn't finished yet and suffers from a severe lack of polish. Spelling errors, typos and weird poo poo all over the place, some of which is just laughable- i.e. the "Tough" trait is "Though" and the AK-47 uses 5.45mm ammunition (ironically the game has an AKM using the proper 7.62 WP, so I assume the AK should actually be the 74 but the description is unambiguously for the original). No real bugs encountered so far though, so at least if they were going to rush it out the door it looks like the focused on the proper stuff. Its just baffling because I can't imagine the text issues would take long to fix and one decent QA pass would have improved first impressions immensely. It really, really, really feels like a beta that should be a couple months away from release. But it also feels like a reasonably solid platform for other people to eventually build a modern 1.13 off of.

There is an AK 74 as well which also uses 5.45, which makes it a little silly as well. There are numerous typos and such, but honestly? This is not a bad game. Budget, sure, but it's not like the original JA2 was a AAA title, either. I also think many are holding it up to the standard set after close to a decade of modding - which is completely ridiculous. I played the poo poo out of JA2 even when it was just the 1.12 version, to completion, and it had a bunch of technical and conceptual flaws. A -lot- of ease-of-use stuff only came with 1.13.

On it's own? This is easily better than the Brigade games put together. Enemies and friendlies die toot sweet, cover is important, planning stuff out is important. After playing it for a while, I get the impression that this is how fast JA2 would play out in realtime. A few shots from rifles dropping guys quickly, and instead of taking 1 1/2 hours to clear a sector of 20+ hostiles, it can be done in less than half that time.

A friend of mine complained about not being able to search every locker, but that poo poo was always tedious. You still have to explore but items are spotted automatically, it's streamlined in that respect. Unfortunately, the way inventory swapping works and lack of a worldmap inventory screen it's more cumbersome than it needs to be. I find the combat and the 'tone' to be pretty spot on as far as JA goes, but I do see how they just copy/pasted a lot of stuff straight out of JA2, so some of the flavor text is off, such as the AIM 'Policies' screen which describes varying contract lengths - which are not implemented in this game.

The economy/funding factor is well-balanced, and the way militia, funding and merc hires work now there is little to no incentive to just fast-forward time without doing anything productive except waiting for money/training/militia - which JA2 honestly suffered a lot from. I could see running a 'defense' squad of a pair of mercs, because numbers seem to weigh heavily over equipment in the autocombat factor of militia. Gave a couple militia vests and assault rifles, and they always lose horribly to a poo poo squad of a few pistols and some axes, somehow.

It is a lot better than I expected it would be, and even has the JA thing of plenty of useless items around that seem like they can be used for something. It also seems like you get stuff to craft with (gameboys, batteries, walkie-talkies) but I haven't figured out how to do that or it's not implemented - most of that stuff shows as 'broken' in the flavor text.

If the engine is even halfway moddable and effort is devoted to it, much of the issues would solved, as it is when playing I can see stuff was seriously thought about, and works in the setting. An example is gun maintenance - gun oil will only work on weapons that haven't been fired too much (one combat sector with submachine guns on burst will drop past the cutoff). Cleaning kits are needed for the midrange and when it drops below around half or so, a tool kit is required.

e - Forgot, one of the best things about this game is the level design/detailing. Lots of good textures, layouts, items, fluff, that make the maps really pop and seem alive and in line with the setting. It struck me from the first mission of clearing the airport.

Justin Credible fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 10, 2012

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe in a couple years we'll have Back in Action 1.13. :smith:

This is why I'm waiting. I can't go from all the JA2 1.13 improvements to JA2 1.12 with better graphics. Just looking at the inventory screenshot for BiA made me cringe. I'm sure modders will jump on it fast enough though.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Can you use rocks for throwing or something in 1.13? Cause my guy just went Whats that?! & a rock highlighted

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, uh...forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how the hell do I get the ammo back out of the ammo crates once I've put it in? I like the idea of being able to consolidate ammo in boxes instead of magazines but it would also be nice to be able to occasionally use those bullets for something other than decorating the airport warehouse.

(this is in 1.13, incidentally)

EDIT: Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a silenced sniper rifle to use during night operations? I'm using the HK SL9SD right now, and it's perfectly silent and decently accurate within its effective range in the hands of a skilled sniper, but it has poo poo range and I'm not impressed with the damage potential.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 10, 2012

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mister Bates posted:

So, uh...forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how the hell do I get the ammo back out of the ammo crates once I've put it in? I like the idea of being able to consolidate ammo in boxes instead of magazines but it would also be nice to be able to occasionally use those bullets for something other than decorating the airport warehouse.

Pick up the crate and drop it on your merc's weapon. It should automatically dump about 5 reloads worth of ammo in the appropriate sized magazines in his inventory (or in the map inventory if it won't fit).

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

EDIT: Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a silenced sniper rifle to use during night operations? I'm using the HK SL9SD right now, and it's perfectly silent and decently accurate within its effective range in the hands of a skilled sniper, but it has poo poo range and I'm not impressed with the damage potential.

Why do you need a silenced sniper rifle? Putting a flash suppressor on it keeps them from actually seeing you and if you're close enough that you're actually worried about them hearing you just use a smaller gun.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Okay, thanks.

I'm considering starting a new game with the most recent version, I'm still playing with the previous one but was doing so well in this current playthrough I didn't want to reinstall and restart. Some random observations from my playthrough so far:

- A merc with Stealthy, Night Ops, decent camo, and good NVGs doesn't need a ranged weapon at all. If you're careful you can literally stroll right up to patrolling soldiers and cut their throats in one combat round.

- Canteens, which I had never much used in previous playthroughs, are the most useful item in the entire loving game.

- I'm finding machine guns to be a lot more useful than I thought they would be, thanks to the suppression system. They're not that good at kill shots on individual targets, but they have proven extremely handy for keeping groups of enemies pinned down, restricting their awareness and mobility so the other soldiers in my team can get the kill.

- The AI does not know how to use smoke properly. While assaulting Balime my team was hit directly with an enemy smoke mortar shell, at which point the AI proceeded to rush its entire force into the smokescreen and I gunned them all down effortlessly with interrupts as soon as they came into view.

- Holding Grumm and keeping it well-defended will cause the Queen to send most of her newly deployed troops to attack it, seemingly regardless of how dire the situation is everywhere else; whether intentional or unintentional, this has the net effect of making much of the game significantly easier if you try and take Grumm fairly early.

- The Rocket Rifles are completely useless.

- Shank becomes ridiculously loving awesome with a few months of intensive training.

- The Queen always uses the same building to hold your captured mercs, even if you raided the sector weeks previously, C4'd a massive loving hole in the wall of the cell, and left a stockpile of perfect-condition gear on the floor.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

- Holding Grumm and keeping it well-defended will cause the Queen to send most of her newly deployed troops to attack it, seemingly regardless of how dire the situation is everywhere else; whether intentional or unintentional, this has the net effect of making much of the game significantly easier if you try and take Grumm fairly early.

Yuuuuuup. I captured Gruum 3rd in my current playthrough and it gets amazing amounts of traffic. I ended up keeping a two merc team there to train milita and help defend the drat place.

At one point I must've had 70+ rotting, crow ravaged corpses lining the road in Grumm's mine sector before the game purged them.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Back in Action question: I have the lovely DLC for the game and I got an ingame e-mail on my laptop that said that the weapons and equipment from the DLC are in the Drassen airport and that I can pick them up there, but I can't find it anywhere. Anyone knows where it is?

edit: Nevermind, I've found it. DLC is in the building near a jet and a truck.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 10, 2012

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

Gave a couple militia vests and assault rifles, and they always lose horribly to a poo poo squad of a few pistols and some axes, somehow.

Don't be dissing those axes. Those mother fuckers are wearing enough armor to make a tank jealous and your guys don't seem to want to fire when they get to close. Then they hit for like 70 damage with that drat axe. Seriously, gently caress those guys.

Burns
May 10, 2008

There are some honest to god bizarre changes. Its like say... JA2 was the "historical event" and BiA is like the action movie of that event. What the christ?

Intelligibility
Apr 8, 2011

Get shovel!
At this point, it might be a good idea to start a new Jagged Alliance megathread. :)

Also, my squad of IMPs (and Ira) had a really promising start. Taking the Drassen airfield, popping heads with mp5s, then I hit alt+l by accident. :negative:

Next try Ira gets torn to shreds by one enemy in an interrupt, considering just carrying on though. How do deaths affect your reputation anyway?
I noticed in my last playthrough after I lost two mercs in short succession that I couldnt hire replacements, mercs said I was a bad commander. Pretty sure one of those deaths was Ira too.

On another note, how do I change the firemode of guns? I swear I looked through the hotkey list but apparently I am blind. I always forget some of the shortcuts after not playing for a while, curse you lazy brain!

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Has anyone ever hired Conrad? He attacked me the first time I reached Alma so I just assumed he was an automatically hostile character for years, but this last playthrough I learned you could recruit him and did so. He's expensive as gently caress and kind of an arrogant jerk but he grows on you after a while, and it just so happens that he's expensive and arrogant because he's really good - insanely high stats, good marksmanship, Deputy trait (basically Squad Leader but less potent), and Teaching. He synergizes nicely with Iggy, Igor, and Ivan, and is also a good choice for leading around a couple of the lovely local recruits like Shank - giving them bonus APs and suppression resistance to make up for their awful stats and quickly training them up when not in combat.

Also, you change firemode by pressing 'B'. That's also how you use underbarrel grenade launchers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

Has anyone ever hired Conrad? He attacked me the first time I reached Alma so I just assumed he was an automatically hostile character for years, but this last playthrough I learned you could recruit him and did so. He's expensive as gently caress and kind of an arrogant jerk but he grows on you after a while, and it just so happens that he's expensive and arrogant because he's really good - insanely high stats, good marksmanship, Deputy trait (basically Squad Leader but less potent), and Teaching. He synergizes nicely with Iggy, Igor, and Ivan, and is also a good choice for leading around a couple of the lovely local recruits like Shank - giving them bonus APs and suppression resistance to make up for their awful stats and quickly training them up when not in combat.

Also, you change firemode by pressing 'B'. That's also how you use underbarrel grenade launchers.

He's still pretty badly overpriced, even if you talk him down to $2200/day (or maybe it's $3300, I forget.) I used him once in one of my initial vanilla games and he was okay, but with the extra overhead that you have to pay in 1.13 I've never been able to justify hiring him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Gabriel Pope posted:

He's still pretty badly overpriced, even if you talk him down to $2200/day (or maybe it's $3300, I forget.) I used him once in one of my initial vanilla games and he was okay, but with the extra overhead that you have to pay in 1.13 I've never been able to justify hiring him.

He's only good if you are doing a "locals only" run.

And even then he's a questionable acquisition. I am not a fan.

Everybody should try a locals run, by the way. They're a lot of fun, and it's very doable. It also changes the dynamics a bit. I headed to Tixa very early to get Dynamo and Shank, for example.

CCKeane fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 10, 2012