Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I have thunderbolt display on order. I also have a MacBook pro and an iMac.

I'm hoping I can use the MBP with the TB display AND the iMac. And when the MBP is off use it as a second display for the iMac without changing cables.

We shall see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I thought you could daisy-chain the thunderbolt displays to each other?

Yes you can and that's how it's done but there's a limit to how many you can actually use. The MBP can use two and the Air one. Check this link: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/18/thunderbolt-display-daisy-chaining-spec-cleared-up/

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Yay my newly acquired ACMT skills came in handy. This is from the service manual. It's the dark grey thing on the upper left:

Yup, that's pretty much exactly where the sound is coming from. Hope my computer doesn't electrocute me in the next week. Thanks.

A Duck!
Apr 22, 2003

Yeah yeah yeah, I know all about buying Apple hardware (waited on new Mac Pros forever, this is my fifth Macbook Pro) but I really, really need a lighter machine and I'm tired of lugging around my 15" i7 MBP.

I know the rumors about the 15" Air might not come true, but what's the chances of an Air coming with 8G ram in the next revision? Yes, I know most people never need more than 4G but I run Fusion VMs all the time and honestly I just find it criminal that there isn't an 8G option.

I really want to pull the trigger on a 13" right now but the thought of a possible 15" and more ram is making me hesitate. I've been traveling so much lately the big MBP is starting to annoy me, along with the battery life.

I really don't know if I can wait until June-ish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

A Duck! posted:

rumor questions

Nobody knows.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
If that 15" rumor turns out to be true, I hope it doesn't mean the end of the 11" model :ohdear:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Mr. Onslaught posted:

If that 15" rumor turns out to be true, I hope it doesn't mean the end of the 11" model :ohdear:

It's one of the most popular models. It's not going anywhere.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mr. Onslaught posted:

You gain access to extra USB ports, Firewire, ethernet, etc. when you plug your laptop into a Cinema Display? I didn't know that.
Nah, just a USB hub on there, along with the speakers and camera/mic. Of course you also had to plug in another cable (USB) to get that along with the MDP cable.

quote:

There is a real lack of hands on info about Thunderbolt and Windows, which makes sense I guess. I did come across this unrelated thing though, kind of interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKx-cr4bi74
Just think of it as PCIe, cause that's what it basically is (plus DisplayPort and some daisy chaining magic). I think it shows up as a PCIe bus under the Windows hardware manager thing.

MrEnigma posted:

I have thunderbolt display on order. I also have a MacBook pro and an iMac.

I'm hoping I can use the MBP with the TB display AND the iMac. And when the MBP is off use it as a second display for the iMac without changing cables.

We shall see...
TB Display <> iMac <> MBP?

flavor posted:

Yes you can and that's how it's done but there's a limit to how many you can actually use. The MBP can use two and the Air one. Check this link: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/18/thunderbolt-display-daisy-chaining-spec-cleared-up/
It's a limitation of the HD3000, which can only run two displays at a time. Why the 13" MBP can do it (by blanking the internal display) and MBA can't might have to do with the TB chip inside, like the MBA's is a smaller lower power variant or something. There was some article on Anandtech about it a while back.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

japtor posted:

Nah, just a USB hub on there, along with the speakers and camera/mic. Of course you also had to plug in another cable (USB) to get that along with the MDP cable.

The thunderbolt display has USB, ethernet, firewire 800, iSight camera, mic and speakers.

The older plain cinema display only had USB/speakers/camera/mic

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

It's a limitation of the HD3000, which can only run two displays at a time. Why the 13" MBP can do it (by blanking the internal display) and MBA can't might have to do with the TB chip inside, like the MBA's is a smaller lower power variant or something. There was some article on Anandtech about it a while back.

Yea, Eagle Ridge vs Light Ridge, the former being in the MBA and only supporting one DisplayPort output.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

japtor posted:

TB Display <> iMac <> MBP?

I don't think the iMac will pass through like that, so I'm thinking.

MBP <> TBD <> iMac

And then part of the time it will be:

TBD <> iMac

I'm hoping #1 works, and that when I switch to #2 it's seamless.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Thunderbolt chaining sounds awesome. In theory, it might be reasonable in the future to have a Thunderbolt Display chilling with an external video card hooked up through Thunderbolt. So you're using your ultra thin laptop for whatever, and you want some Serious Gaming time so you plug into the display through Thunderbolt, which is chaining to your external video card, and now you basically have a full powered desktop.

I guess the only downside to that is the fact that Thunderbolt enabled video card enclosures will probably be like 400 bucks or something when they start coming out.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I guess the only downside to that is the fact that Thunderbolt enabled video card enclosures will probably be like 400 bucks or something when they start coming out.

$979 (plus shipping & tax).

Sonnet was also supposed to make one, but only an ExpressCard slot materialized.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

White Macbook is finally dead. Real dead.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/02/ding-dong-the-white-macbook-is-deadfor-real-this-time.ars

Apple's educational division has stopped selling them.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Edit: Totally the wrong thread. Ignore this.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I'm running a 27" mid 2011 iMac at work. I'm looking at options for improved hard drive performance. It sounds like putting an SSD into the iMac isn't an option, it would void the warranty to install. However, I guess it has something called thunderbolt built into it? I don't really understand what thunderbolt is, besides some fast port that can handle video and/or data?

My questions are: Would getting a thunderbolt hard drive provide huge performance boosts with hard drive intensive tasks? What am I looking for when I'm poking around Amazon and NewEgg for thunderbolt hard drives / hard drive enclosures? Is thunderbolt + SSD an option?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

$899 for a 240GB Thunderbolt-attached SSD

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10549

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

$899 for a 240GB Thunderbolt-attached SSD

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10549

Why is it so expensive? A 240 GB SSD is what, $300-$400 (and I wouldn't need more than 100 GB). I can't imagine an enclosure costing another $500 on top of that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1. Premium for Mac accessories
2. ThunderBolt is expensive. Not that expensive, but there's little competition in that space yet so they're commanding a large premium.

edit: Also just install the SSD yourself and put the stock drive back if you ever need AppleCare service. That's what I'm going to do before I take my iMac in for a new display.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

1. Premium for Mac accessories
2. ThunderBolt is expensive. Not that expensive, but there's little competition in that space yet so they're commanding a large premium.

edit: Also just install the SSD yourself and put the stock drive back if you ever need AppleCare service. That's what I'm going to do before I take my iMac in for a new display.

This is for my work iMac, so it will be a tough sell to IT to get them to swap in an SSD like that.

Thanks for the info, guys, it was super helpful. I tried using Google, but I was getting lost and confused by the results.

edit: Also, asking around, it sounds like I'm actually CPU and not hard drive limited anyways.

Chainclaw fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 9, 2012

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Today, I've started losing my wireless signal. Except I haven't - the menubar item still looks lit up as normal, but pages don't load, pings fail, and when I click on the item the drop down menu states 'No networks'. If I turn it off, it won't turn back on again. No errors are displayed at any point either.

Out of curiosity, I checked the hardware profiler when the problem happened last:

Rebooting fixes the problem temporarily, and hardware profiler shows this:

I happen to have access to my flatmate's 15" i7 MBP which was purchased around four weeks after mine, and his shows this:

Basically, what the hell is going on? I've been meaning to take the machine in for a week or so after a passing Genius visit for some very minor screen discolouration, but workload at the moment means I really can't afford to be without my laptop for a full week. Any suggestions other than dashing to my nearest fruit stand tomorrow?

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Chainclaw posted:

edit: Also, asking around, it sounds like I'm actually CPU and not hard drive limited anyways.

You're probably hard drive limited as well, they've been bottlenecks forever.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Neurophonic posted:

:stuff:

Basically, what the hell is going on? I've been meaning to take the machine in for a week or so after a passing Genius visit for some very minor screen discolouration, but workload at the moment means I really can't afford to be without my laptop for a full week. Any suggestions other than dashing to my nearest fruit stand tomorrow?

Something's pretty wrong if you bought your machine new and sealed from a dealer and it's identifying your wireless hardware as third party as opposed to Airport Extreme.

Did you try resetting the SMC or resetting the PRAM (hold down command-option-p-r at powerup)?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Durr beaten ^^

Probably a bad card if the profiler doesn't pick up that it's an Apple card (going by the MAC address)

Edit: I correctly used MAC in a Mac thread

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

MAC Vendor lookup says it's Apple Inc. according to the first three hex digits so something is definitely hosed.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

MAC Vendor lookup says it's Apple Inc. according to the first three hex digits so something is definitely hosed.

Thanks, I kinda knew that but was hoping somebody would have some amazing alternative to having to take it in! Will try the SMC and PRAM anyway, although the 'voodoo' solutions have never really had much luck for me in the past few years.

Edit: Well, evidently I spoke way too soon!

Utter madness.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 9, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

My work gave me a $2000 credit to get a new MBP, is there any point in waiting for a refreshment? I heard they might have retina screens which scares me about battery life, but maybe the video cards will be boosted to handle the extra detail? I have a hard time justifying the extra cash I'll have to spend outside my credit to upgrade the video card from 512 to 1 gig, but I want it because I occasionally DJ with music videos and that shits on the CPU.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

My work gave me a $2000 credit to get a new MBP, is there any point in waiting for a refreshment? I heard they might have retina screens which scares me about battery life, but maybe the video cards will be boosted to handle the extra detail? I have a hard time justifying the extra cash I'll have to spend outside my credit to upgrade the video card from 512 to 1 gig, but I want it because I occasionally DJ with music videos and that shits on the CPU.

Do you have any need to get the MBP before a certain point? If yes, you may need to get the laptop now, if no, and you can deal with whatever you have now until May-December (whenever they do refreshes, if at all*), then feel free to wait. Ivy Bridge is most certainly going in the new lineup of Macbooks and you've got at least until April to wait before anything.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
e: double post

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

I don't think the iMac will pass through like that, so I'm thinking.

MBP <> TBD <> iMac

And then part of the time it will be:

TBD <> iMac

I'm hoping #1 works, and that when I switch to #2 it's seamless.
Yeah I think #1 should work, it's #2 I'd be worried about, no clue if that port is a two way thing on the display.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I think MSI said they were shooting for $150 (cable included!) for their PCIe box. I wouldn't be surprised if they were depending on the later generation TB chips coming out later this year (starting Q2 I think).

Chainclaw posted:

Why is it so expensive? A 240 GB SSD is what, $300-$400 (and I wouldn't need more than 100 GB). I can't imagine an enclosure costing another $500 on top of that.
Cause LaCie overprices out the rear end for everything. If you're willing to hack something up, the Seagage GoFlex adapter is $100 iirc, TB cable $50, and I think you can get a broken drive/empty GoFlex enclosure for cheap if you don't want to run the drive bare on the adapter.

FlashBangBob posted:

Do you have any need to get the MBP before a certain point? If yes, you may need to get the laptop now, if no, and you can deal with whatever you have now until May-December (whenever they do refreshes, if at all*), then feel free to wait. Ivy Bridge is most certainly going in the new lineup of Macbooks and you've got at least until April to wait before anything.
Yeah this, as usual. Ivy Bridge is looking to be a nice update if you can wait, faster while taking up less power, and much improved integrated GPU.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

japtor posted:

Yeah I think #1 should work, it's #2 I'd be worried about, no clue if that port is a two way thing on the display.

From what I've read the TBD is all two-way, guess I'll find out.

If it works well, I can use the monitor as a usb hub for both computers, should be slick.

Edit: Now if Apple would hurry up and ship this thing to me...Got my VESA adapters and LCD arms already...

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

kuskus posted:

$979 (plus shipping & tax).

Sonnet was also supposed to make one, but only an ExpressCard slot materialized.

:stare:

So the cost of the Thunderbolt Display, that enclosure, and a passable video card would cost more than just buying an iMac and never docking your laptop.

japtor posted:

I think MSI said they were shooting for $150 (cable included!) for their PCIe box. I wouldn't be surprised if they were depending on the later generation TB chips coming out later this year (starting Q2 I think).

Well this is much more hopeful. I'm kinda drooling at the thought of traveling for work with an Ivy Bridge Air 11", and coming home to a waiting big rear end display/keyboard and mouse/maybe an external HD/wired internet/external video card all sitting on my desk waiting for a single Thunderbolt plug to hook in. I'm even looking around at accessories like a little kid circling stuff in a Toys R' Us magazine...ahhh I hope the refresh comes out as quickly as possible.

Maybe I will even buy this stupid thing

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookArc_for_Air/

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Okay so the SMC and PRAM reset made my MBP recognise the card as an official Apple device, but it hasn't fixed the problem of it turning off and refusing to turn back on, whilst leaving the menubar item looking like normal.

Off to the fruit stand I go.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MrEnigma posted:

From what I've read the TBD is all two-way, guess I'll find out.

If it works well, I can use the monitor as a usb hub for both computers, should be slick.

Edit: Now if Apple would hurry up and ship this thing to me...Got my VESA adapters and LCD arms already...
If it works as a hub I guess I'd be paranoid if I had any drives (or other sensitive peripherals) plugged into it, that's why I'd be surprised if it worked both ways.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

:stare:

So the cost of the Thunderbolt Display, that enclosure, and a passable video card would cost more than just buying an iMac and never docking your laptop.
That's actually cheap for Magma stuff :v:. Their other boxes were around $1000/slot last I checked while that thing has three. Their market is the pro sector and the pricing reflects that. The Blackmagic stuff (video in/out hardware) seems reasonable, about $100 more than their PCIe cards I think.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bob Morales posted:

White Macbook is finally dead. Real dead.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/02/ding-dong-the-white-macbook-is-deadfor-real-this-time.ars

Apple's educational division has stopped selling them.
My workplace, outside of the eMac, never brought any of the "education" Macs. Can't say the plastic Book is going to be missed.

AzCoug
Jun 10, 2010
Would you recommend using a Time Capsule as both a back up AND I want to dump my whole hard drive on there through the initial set-up and then wipe my hard drive clean so I can start fresh with an empty hard drive (it is currently completely full).

Or would a regular external hard drive be better suited for this?

My only scare is that as the Time Capsule fills up, I understand that the oldest stuff gets deleted to make room for the new backups. I'm just scared I might lose stuff that I may need as it gets full.

But at the same time, it would take a LONG time to fill up a 2TB TC. By that time I probably wouldn't care about the old stuff...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

FlashBangBob posted:

My current work computer is on its last legs, but I can hold off for awhile and make due with it. I'm just curious how big the Ivy Bridge advancement will be to the current line up because I have to evaluate Excel files that get as big as a few gigs, so processor speed is important to me.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

AzCoug posted:

Would you recommend using a Time Capsule as both a back up AND I want to dump my whole hard drive on there through the initial set-up and then wipe my hard drive clean so I can start fresh with an empty hard drive (it is currently completely full).

Or would a regular external hard drive be better suited for this?

My only scare is that as the Time Capsule fills up, I understand that the oldest stuff gets deleted to make room for the new backups. I'm just scared I might lose stuff that I may need as it gets full.

But at the same time, it would take a LONG time to fill up a 2TB TC. By that time I probably wouldn't care about the old stuff...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

It can be difficult to separate the data from the time capsule and say a time machine backup. You can't partion a TC without some interesting steps. So I'd recommend an external hard drive. If you want you can buy an Airport Extreme and attach the drive to it. That way you can partition the disk however you want and then put data on one volume, and backups on another.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

My current work computer is on its last legs, but I can hold off for awhile and make due with it. I'm just curious how big the Ivy Bridge advancement will be to the current line up because I have to evaluate Excel files that get as big as a few gigs, so processor speed is important to me.
A bit faster per clock along with possibly higher clock speeds while using less power. And much better integrated GPU. There's also lower power quad core CPUs coming out if Apple decides to use them. Then you could let your mind go wild with crazy speculation on top of that. 15" MacBook Air!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Also the thunderbolt 240GB is 2 Intel 120GB SSD in Raid-0 so that's a good $400-500 of cost there.

Anywho, all updated reset everything and the static was gone on my external displays until today. I think it has something to do with connecting/disconnecting displays as I remove one of mine frequently to play on my gaming computer.

God damnit Apple fix your display drivers.