Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!
It doesn't even need to be old games, KickStarter could be a way for developers to make games that aren't tired sequels or generic FPS's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Yeah, I want this game to be wholly original. I'd rather see what new ideas guys like Schafer have kicking around, instead of bootstrapping those ideas to old projects.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

SGRaaize posted:

It doesn't even need to be old games, KickStarter could be a way for developers to make games that aren't tired sequels or generic FPS's.

It is. Plenty of video game projects are up there. Developers just have to put in the work and gain a bit of a name for themselves to attract attention.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

SGRaaize posted:

It already is. The simple fact is that a lot of consumers (gamers) don't give a gently caress. The only reason this has been so successful is because of Tim's huge nerdcore following.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SGRaaize posted:

Stop, you're wrong, Telltale is a lovely company that pulls random famous games from the past, buys their rights, makes cheap and mediocre titles with almost no good gameplay and some ok writing, releases it in episodic content to make sure they get good money out of it, to buy more franchises from the past and keep the vicious cycle.

Tim Schafer is here, you can finally turn your back to them and never look back.

I enjoyed the Sam and Max sequels, they were genuinely funny and a really pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Some of their recent games have been a bit off but I think that's more to do with the fact that they're the wrong franchises for them to be working with. They'd definitely do wonders with 60's Batman though. Telltale games are great when they focus on solving mysteries and crackin' wise but Jurassic Park was completely the wrong fit for them.
If we're really going to get into it though, I also think they're on the right track in terms of scaling down videogame development to a place where it's easier to take creative risks (because games are cheaper+shorter), and most importantly, the technology behind games is easier to deal with. I'm sure Telltale experiences the crunch of game development but when you look at how everything revolves around their engine I can't imagine development is as much of a nightmare as it would be with some AAA holiday blockbuster title. There's a creativity and wit to Telltale games that more than makes up for the lack of technical dazzle. I'm also happy to lower my expectations if it means people aren't worked to the bone to the excess that you currently see in games development.
Like, you hear stories of the incredible crunch people face when making the newest Call of Duty or whatever. Games are a pretty disposable form of entertainment, it's not like people are overworking themselves to produce the gaming equivalent of Ulysses. Telltale seem to have taken game development in a much more sustainable and sensible direction and that's pretty cool.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

coldplay chiptunes posted:

It already is. The simple fact is that a lot of consumers (gamers) don't give a gently caress. The only reason this has been so successful is because of Tim's huge nerdcore following.

Well, yeah, I'm not saying any average joe can go and make a random claim and get thousands buying, but for example, Obsidian would be able to get some money from the Kickstarter, and I don't even need to rely on old publishers, what about the guys that made The Bastion, this the first game they made, I believe, yet they're already popular enough to be able to get a boost from the kickstart.

Yes, perhaps no one will be able to get to Tim Schafer's level, but anyone with a good enough reputation for making good games could do the same he's doing here.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I want to see an original game but it would be incredulous of me not to admit that I'd be totally fine with Double Fine spending the billions of dollars they are in the process of raising on buying the rights to and then remaking Grim Fandango
edit: as a tactical FPS with RPG elements, obviously

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

I want to see an original game but it would be incredulous of me not to admit that I'd be totally fine with Double Fine spending the billions of dollars they are in the process of raising on buying the rights to and then remaking Grim Fandango
Screw that, point-and-click Psychonauts 2.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I would honestly be pretty pissed if this were the case.

Grim Fandango is a phenomenal game, but it doesn't need remaking, Tim Schafer is capable of create new interesting premises for games, as has been shown again and again, there are thousands of ideas he could do, why the hell would he waste the opportunity to create a game he has already made and that is already perfect the way it is? Especially considering he doesn't have to worry nearly as much about sales.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Farbtoner posted:

Er...

Right because sequels to decade/two decade old classics are precisely the same thing as loving Final Fantasy 13-2 or Call of Duty 17 or whatever the gently caress they're up to.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 9, 2012

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SGRaaize posted:

I would honestly be pretty pissed if this were the case.

Grim Fandango is a phenomenal game, but it doesn't need remaking, Tim Schafer is capable of create new interesting premises for games, as has been shown again and again, there are thousands of ideas he could do, why the hell would he waste the opportunity to create a game he has already made and that is already perfect the way it is? Especially considering he doesn't have to worry nearly as much about sales.
It doesn't run on my computer and it would be pretty cool to see it on IOS. It would also apparently make you blind with rage so that's a plus I guess

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Bobby The Rookie posted:

I would pay crazy money for this.

Seriously I love Double Fine's creativity and writing but I have to force myself to suffer through the actual gameplay to experience it.

Black Bo[X] fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 9, 2012

Hari Seldon
Jun 14, 2007

Now if only someone can use Kickstarter to make Space Quest 7. Not sure what the two guys from Andromeda are up to these days.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

It doesn't run on my computer and it would be pretty cool to see it on IOS. It would also apparently make you blind with rage so that's a plus I guess

Don't you think it'd be a waste, though? :shobon:
If there's anyone that can pull an idea out of his rear end and make it charming, awesome and playable, is Tim Schafer. Remaking Grim Fandango when it was well made from beginning to end already just seems like a waste of resources.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.

The Grumbles posted:

I enjoyed the Sam and Max sequels, they were genuinely funny and a really pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Some of their recent games have been a bit off but I think that's more to do with the fact that they're the wrong franchises for them to be working with.
My problem with the Telltale games is that they're just so claustrophobic. Some of it IS due to the nature of episodic gaming, but a lot of it comes down to lazy and uninspired execution.

A lot of adventure gaming revolves around using or combining inventory items you've had in your possession for a long time, backtracking or re-visiting areas, etc. And when your entire episode is nothing more three screens and two inventory items, the difficulty and/or cleverness of puzzles drops as well.

The dialogue is literally the only thing enjoyable about the Sam and Max series, and all I can remember from the Back to the Future series is the same loving Hill Valley street.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Honestly, I think I would prefer this. I'm going to finally finish Psyconauts, but this time using a controller. Holy moley are some parts of that game impossible with a loving keyboard.

It would also probably reduce the overhead cost by about 90%, but then you can't really market it to consoles without some sort of 3D element.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Goddammit woke up from a long nap and they're almost up to 900k, that is insane. Really feel like playing Psychonauts again and I guess I'll buy it later on steam since I don't have my xbox with me. Also Meat Circus is not that hard, stop crying about it yall bunch of babies :colbert:.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

When they added trophies a few months back, they changed meat circus.

Buff Baby
Jan 7, 2008

As a human being, I'm embarrassed.
This was from a while back in the thread but I just woke up so whatever!

Death in point and click adventure games are definitely doable now. A 2010 point and click game called Gemini Rue implemented it pretty well, with the main character being able to die from gunshots, explosions and not doing the right thing in general. However, it also had generous checkpointing which made sure that you didn't gently caress yourself over too badly for being a terrible player.

Quick Look by Giant Bomb

This game also had other crazy mechanics - such as a goddamn gun fight that still uses the "click on gun, click on person" controls. I honestly would not mind if Tim Schafer tried to implement crazy mechanics into this game since this could possibly be a modern adventure game that makes publishers go, "hey guys maybe adventure games aren't dead... ?"

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

frumpsnake posted:

My problem with the Telltale games is that they're just so claustrophobic.

Man I never realized that was what was wrong with them but you're totally right. I do have to say that the Homestar ones are a little more open and much funnier and more creative though.

Anyway back on topic... surely going to hit a million in not too much longer. Amazing!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the gameplay of Psychonauts, I thought it was fantastic. There were some UI and control things were really annoying but overall it was great.

Got Haggis?
Jul 28, 2002
Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!
Geoff Keighly tweeted this photo out earlier from his interview today: https://twitter.com/#!/geoffkeighley/status/167693105716396032/photo/1

Al Lowe and Tim Schafer. I'm guessing that GameTrailers.TV are just going to do a special on Adventure Games or something...but how cool would that be if Al joined up with Double Fine?

Sethur
Apr 18, 2007
I paid for this account with imaginary internet spaceship money.

Got Haggis? posted:

Geoff Keighly tweeted this photo out earlier from his interview today: https://twitter.com/#!/geoffkeighley/status/167693105716396032/photo/1

Al Lowe and Tim Schafer. I'm guessing that GameTrailers.TV are just going to do a special on Adventure Games or something...but how cool would that be if Al joined up with Double Fine?
They're just at the DICE game dev summit and Geoff is covering it, it's not an adventure-game specific thing.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Taffer posted:

I'm surprised so many people didn't like the gameplay of Psychonauts, I thought it was fantastic. There were some UI and control things were really annoying but overall it was great.

The game controlled great and it was really fun travelling the map using all the crazy powers, like the one that put you on top of a ball and stuff, but the main problem I had was the fact that in all of Schafer's other games the world has always felt much more real, just because in a point and click adventure you don't need to make narrative justifications for game mechanics. In psychonauts though, you not only have all the basic 'press A to jump' stuff pulling you out of the game world, but all these other little contrivances in the script that have to be there to teach the player about all the mechanics. It was well written but just the fact that it's so clearly a platform game really takes you out of being immersed in the game-world, whereas games like Full Throttle or Grim Fandango just didn't have to worry about there being counters for collectibles or scores or power-ups or lock-on system tutorials or anything like that. I'm not sure it really plays to Schafer's strengths to make a game that's so clearly a game, basically.
Although out of Double Fine's smaller projects I've only really played Stacking, which is abstract enough that it gets away with a lot of the world being 'gameified', and I have no idea if it's the case that they're generally doing a lot better with this kind of things these days.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
900k just reached. How long left before the first 24 hours are up? Is it still possible to reach a million today?

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

The Grumbles posted:

Telltale seem to have taken game development in a much more sustainable and sensible direction and that's pretty cool.

You say "sustainable and sensible," I say "samey with very few surprises or inspired moments"

The Grumbles posted:

I had was the fact that in all of Schafer's other games the world has always felt much more real, just because in a point and click adventure you don't need to make narrative justifications for game mechanics. In psychonauts though, you not only have all the basic 'press A to jump' stuff pulling you out of the game world, but all these other little contrivances in the script that have to be there to teach the player about all the mechanics.

Well, the weak game world might not be a problem with Psychonauts 2 now that co-writer Erik Wolpaw no longer works for the company. Or it might be more of a problem. Hard to say how much of the original game's relative success was due to his writing.

Beanpants
Oct 27, 2004

Captain_duck posted:

900k just reached. How long left before the first 24 hours are up? Is it still possible to reach a million today?

8PM pacific time is when it went up yesterday. They'll easily get to that million mark by then.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

There's pretty much no way they won't hit a million by the end of the day, yeah.

For the record, it took Louis CK's Live at the Beacon Theater 4 days to reach $200,000. Double Fine is set to make five times that much in a quarter of the time.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

gently caress Alpha Protocol, with their own budget, its time they make a new Planetscape Torment-esque RPG.

Hey, we're talking infinite magic-money here, why not let us have all the games from our wildest fantasies? It's like a dot-com boom, but in reverse!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
1UP have a podcast with Ron Gilbert on Maniac Mansion up today as well.
http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9095542

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Fifteen bucks for a game that has double its planned budget less than 24 hours after announcement? And it's being made by Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert? loving sold.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Crappy Jack posted:

There's pretty much no way they won't hit a million by the end of the day, yeah.

For the record, it took Louis CK's Live at the Beacon Theater 4 days to reach $200,000. Double Fine is set to make five times that much in a quarter of the time.

The power of nerds: disposable income.

(There's way worse things the money could go to, though, make no mistake. Kickstarter is only a tool for whatever good or evil the asker wants to bring/perpetrate.)

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Crappy Jack posted:

B-b-but gamers are nothing but pirates who are out to ruin every hard working developer's life.

Behold the truth developers. We're really nerds willing to spend all our money on consumer stuff, if you're worthy of our nitpicky lofty standards of said consumer stuff.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
"Nitpicky."

Sethur
Apr 18, 2007
I paid for this account with imaginary internet spaceship money.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

"Nitpicky."
I get the feeling that was kind of the joke. Though I suppose publishers could unironically take "not ruined by horribly thought-out DRM that inconveniences legitimate users far more than pirates" as nitpicky.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Crappy Jack posted:

His cost $5 and there was no option to pay more. I'm willing to bet that in terms of individual purchases, he beat Double Fine by a lot.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

God drat, you guys. I did the math and at $919,266 with 23,842 backers, that's an average of 38 dollars per backer. People are pitching in $40 to play a $15 game that hasn't even been made yet.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

404notfound posted:

God drat, you guys. I did the math and at $919,266 with 23,842 backers, that's an average of 38 dollars per backer. People are pitching in $40 to play a $15 game that hasn't even been made yet.

I think it's fair to say that this is a message.

busfahrer fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 11, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

404notfound posted:

Everyone buying the crazy tiers are skewing the average a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Everyone buying the crazy tiers are skewing the average a little bit.

I think the people who impress me the most are the guys pitching in 250 dollars or more. Then again, that's what I accidentally put into one of the latest steam sales/giftmas-sprees.

• Locked thread