Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Mr. Giddycrumbles posted:

I'd have liked a game that's somewhere between Creative and Survival.

Mining, crafting and resource management etc. should all be there, as should mortality and the threat of death from mobs, lava and all that. However - I want to be able to fly around to make building less sodding annoying (craftable jetpacks?). I want resource collection to be less goddamn tedious (faster mining, carry more stuff, craft mechanisms to make mining faster, more automated etc.)

Basically I'd like a minecraft where you can build huge complex structures whilst still being a game with risks and rewards.

There's probably a mod for that but I'm way too bored with MC now to care about getting back into it.
Check out the Technic Pack (or rather, the modding thread where it's talked about). It's got a bunch of mods, some of which do what you describe - jetpacks, automated mining and sorting, more/better mining methods. I think it also has the Equivalent Exchange mod, which lets you swap blocks up or down to rarer or more common blocks (if you have the right equipment) and also lets you eventually build a bunch of stuff that's basically godmode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Mining, crafting and resource management etc. should all be there, as should mortality and the threat of death from mobs, lava and all that. However - I want to be able to fly around to make building less sodding annoying (craftable jetpacks?). I want resource collection to be less goddamn tedious (faster mining, carry more stuff, craft mechanisms to make mining faster, more automated etc.)

Basically I'd like a minecraft where you can build huge complex structures whilst still being a game with risks and rewards.

There's probably a mod for that but I'm way too bored with MC now to care about getting back into it.

This is how I feel as well and is why I tend to stop playing months at a time. I think my biggest gripe with the game is just how slow mining blocks is. Especially when it comes to things like obsidian. It's not fun to sit there for 15 seconds for every block of it you want. Sure you can make a mold, but it doesn't make it any less time consuming unless you really want to carry a load of buckets around.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I'm really glad the minecraft modding community's mindset of demanding payment or no mods wasn't/isn't around during the Quake, Half-Life, or Half-Life 2 modding communities cause holy poo poo we wouldn't have gotten the cool games and mods we did :psyduck:

Yeah, I'm from the oldskool Quake community who gave all and expected nothing in return and it felt right - the community was a warm, friendly laid back place. This modern phenomenon of asking money for mods just doesn't sit right with me. I did get a job in the industry because of my Quake stuff though, so I guess it paid off, in its own way.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

the community was a warm, friendly laid back place

Well that's your answer right there, in a nutshell, as to why the world is different now. When the community is your friend, you give to share for everyone to enjoy.

When the community is the minecraft/furry/my little pony/whatever other dumb poo poo brings people together today, no matter what you take from them you will never feel bad, because they are the worst.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Narxysus posted:

Well that's your answer right there, in a nutshell, as to why the world is different now. When the community is your friend, you give to share for everyone to enjoy.

When the community is the minecraft/furry/my little pony/whatever other dumb poo poo brings people together today, no matter what you take from them you will never feel bad, because they are the worst.

On that topic, how the gently caress did Minecraft's community become as acidic as it is? Do pixelated blocks just have some weird mind-warping effect on people or are they still just sore from all the rampant greifing before whitelists started cropping up?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
MCedit is kind of lovely anyway. Someone needs to make a new version that's easier to use. MCedit is so clunky. It's definitely not worth 10k. No mod is.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Since we're just chitchatting about MCEdit, I'll post something from 20 minutes ago on Jonkagstrom's Twitter.

Injoduprelo
Sep 30, 2006

Stare long enough, and you may find yourself.

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

On that topic, how the gently caress did Minecraft's community become as acidic as it is? Do pixelated blocks just have some weird mind-warping effect on people or are they still just sore from all the rampant greifing before whitelists started cropping up?

It happens when the community creates the people in it rather than the other way around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

The entry point for Minecraft (and computer games in general) nowadays is extremely low, as well as the fact that everyone is on the internet, with about 3-4 forums they're signed up for (SA is still the only one that matters :colbert:). I'm sure there were tons of insufferable twats playing Quake back in the day, but you didn't hear about them, you threw them into a lava pit in E1M7.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Narxysus posted:

I wouldn't say that because just about every other game's modding community is just fine and works like it always did. Take a look at Oblivion and Skyrim. Entire game changing mods sometimes bundled together and completely for free. None of this "YOU CANNOT PLAY WITHOUT PERMISSION".

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The goon server I play on, Wilson's SMP, has runes and MCMMO. It means you can use a rune that makes you mine nine blocks every time you destroy one and the MCMMO side of things means you can get even faster ways of mining/etc with even more benefits (glowstone occasionally coming out of dirt, double resources, etc). There's also several super fast transportation methods to get around and at least two of the cities have a "trash" system where you throw unwanted stuff into a chest and it's automatically taken to a central location where anybody can grab anything they want. I can't play the snapshots of Minecraft any more because of all the poo poo this server adds to the game. It's worth a look.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I have an old copy of MCEdit that I haven't updated in over a year. Partly it's because thats when I updated to a widescreen and the program couldn't figure out the difference between 4:3 and 16:9, but mostly it's because it felt alot more fun and a bit more natural than working on a project in what felt like a stripped down version of the SDK. Creative mode, for all it's other flaws, just made things better. I guess its really useful if you wanted to copy/paste alot of things at once or convert an old map to the latest version but as has been said before it wouldn't take long to make a replacement (and it wouldn't surprise me if someone already did.)

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Can we start a goon-made C# project "Better than MCEdit"?

It has all the requirements of a Minecraft project in the title.

I don't actually know how to do 3D stuff in C#/XNA, but I'd like to learn, so if someone here has the skills, I can help with backend stuff and learn about 3D graphics.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I was watching Ethoslab, it's a pretty good LP of Minecraft, but he mentioned in one of his last videos he makes more money playing Minecraft on YouTube than he does from his full time job.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

poemdexter posted:

I agree with this 100% with the caveat that minecraft doesn't have a theme or direction per say so it's really easy to see every update as "useless" since really, what's something that could be added that fits? This is the sandiest sandbox game. It's 100% up to the player to determine what the game is about since there's no defined theme nor setting.

This is probably Notch's biggest failing, and the biggest failing any game designer can make—not really knowing what your game is about. Survival mode isn't really about survival, and creative mode isn't truly 100% focused on creativity.

To be fair, Minecraft turned out as well as is possible for a game without a direction.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

I was watching Ethoslab, it's a pretty good LP of Minecraft, but he mentioned in one of his last videos he makes more money playing Minecraft on YouTube than he does from his full time job.

That's loving insane. What is wrong with the world?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

That's loving insane. What is wrong with the world?

His full time job might be flipping burgers.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

poemdexter posted:

His full time job might be flipping burgers.

Even so, a society which rewards talking drivel on youtube whilst videoing yourself mining cobble for 30 minutes is a society where something has gone horribly horribly wrong.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
Sounds like most prime time television to me. :v:
Which is pretty much just that. Youtube sees that you have a ton of viewers, Youtube is making a ton of money off of adds from your viewers, Youtube is nice enough to cut you a check for part of that as an incentive to continue to keep your viewers so that Youtube makes more money. Not sure I really see an issue with that.

Bicehunter posted:

There is a big difference tho? Notch putting it into the vanilla game and they don't get anything while Notch gets even more money because the game just got better?

The old hl + cs thing was just that.. the guys who made the mod got hired/team up with Valve: On April 12, 2000, Valve announced that the Counter-Strike developers and Valve had teamed up.

They probably got a sweet deal because HL just got much more popular not only as a good singleplayer game but as a platform for CS.

What the hell are you talking about? I'm trying to think of mods that were shoved into vanilla without compensation. The only mod that I know that was ever put into vanilla was the Pistons Mod and the developers were compensated by Mojang for their idea. Pretty much no other has been placed into the game and with as rabid as Minecraft's Modding fan base is, if Notch did steal people's code there would be a complete poo poo fit. There have been more mods that have NOT made it into vanilla simply because Mojang felt the developers were asking too much/Notch is stingy with money.

The other thing you have to remember is that most mod developers would have a hard time claiming actual ownership of their mods since the majority of them technically break MC's EULA, being derivatives of Minecraft's code as well as distributing code that they do not own.

Anyway, moving back on topic and away from mod talk, the idea of zombie sieges in game makes me really excited. I am still hoping for a way for NPC villages to protect themselves though. Nothing would suck more if NPCs, god forbid, actually became useful and after a few days worth of mining underground in the same chunk as a village you come back up to find the place a ghost town.

So with all this new mob AI behavior, what exactly do you think needs to be changed to make combat better? Better player movement and better feedback with hitting things in melee so it feels like you are actually dealing blows to something? Maybe different swings depending on how you are moving like in Morrowind? More variety of attack choices (different weapons or magic)? Combat needs an overhaul, but I am having difficulties trying to decide what would make it better.

I do like how the combat in Cube World looks, even if it is a little hack and slash, because the hits a player/enemy deals seem to have weight behind them and there is a lot more movement in actions, which is something minecraft is bad at. The world is very static, lacks animation.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Also people like Etho, and Coestar, and other popular minecraft youtubers get a crazy amount of donations, to the point where they record the building of a hall-of-fame for said donators.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
If ethoslab says he gets lots of money from his minecraft stuff then how about yogscast who have a lot more views and subscribers?

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

Even so, a society which rewards talking drivel on youtube whilst videoing yourself mining cobble for 30 minutes is a society where something has gone horribly horribly wrong.

Come the gently caress on, man. He is providing entertainment to enough people that he can make a living off it. I've never seen an ethoslab video but he's got to have something going for him that he can get enough viewers to make a living off it. Of all the things about society, this is the one you decide is the harbinger of societal sickness?

Like someone said before, it's really not much different from TV. Lighten the gently caress up.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Dush posted:

Come the gently caress on, man. He is providing entertainment to enough people that he can make a living off it. I've never seen an ethoslab video but he's got to have something going for him that he can get enough viewers to make a living off it. Of all the things about society, this is the one you decide is the harbinger of societal sickness?

Like someone said before, it's really not much different from TV. Lighten the gently caress up.

You dumb idiot he plays video games. On the internet.. and records them..

There isn't a well developed category of people playing video games and talking over video games on the internet and you should be ashamed for defending him!

:colbert:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Dush posted:

Ok before this gets out of hand I'm not quite being as serious as you seem to think I am :ssh:

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jusupov posted:

If ethoslab says he gets lots of money from his minecraft stuff then how about yogscast who have a lot more views and subscribers?
I'm not going to break down the numbers too deep but it looks like Ethoslab has about 50 to 100k viewers per video and Yogscast gets about double that. How many subscribers they have is only relevant to measuring the potential audience for each video upload.

I believe Youtube partners are contractually obligated to keep how much they make private but a little google searching and common sense suggests it's a fraction of a fraction of a cent per view. If forced to guess I'd say $50 to $100 for every 50,000 views.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ok before this gets out of hand I'm not quite being as serious as you seem to think I am :ssh:

You called someone insane and said there was something wrong with them for viewing things differently than you.

Perhaps the tone of your posts should match the supposed meaning they are conveying? You seem pretty judgmental about things in a very weird way!

I enjoy watching Minecraft videos and streams, both from the yogscast dudes and on twitch.tv. And I don't think there's anything wrong with society as a result.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

I started watching Ethos' Let's Play from episode 124 and I found it interesting enough that I actually went back and watched from when he started his current world (episode 105). It starts out slow, so I guess it'd be better to judge based on episode 124 and later, but the basic idea behind his "lets play" is that he slowly rebuilds his world to have lots of things with interesting or useful functions, so it's as much a traditional "LP" as it is a bunch of tutorials woven together. Oh, also, he edits out all the routine stuff... basically, his "let's play" is more successful than all the others because his really isn't like all the others, and his end product isn't just the videos but also a world that's interesting to download and play around with.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Yesssss, I hope this isn't just Jeb goofing around and that this is indicating we are getting giant spider mobs. Heck, that might be a cool "boss" monster that has a chance of spawning in deep caves. I remember forever ago when Jeb was working on strongholds that he wanted to do boss/miniboss style mobs.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason they added in the moon phases like they did was so that they could eventually add mob seiges on full moons, but then couldn't get them to work with the mobs' crappy AI, hence the real reason they had to finally break down and hire an AI guy. There has been talk of huge enemies or even swarms showing up rarely since at least around the time slimes were added, so with that one guy working on zombie seiges, I wouldn't be surprised if giant enemies also got into the mix eventually.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Disappointing Pie posted:

Another youtube minecraft player, Kurtjmac, managed to raise over $8,000 for a charity just by asking his viewers to donate a buck if they liked his videos.

More than anything, it reminds me of PBS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tk-hVHYoTY

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm pretty sure the yogscast guys make pretty good money off their videos. If I remember right they even said they basically can live off those videos (while also thanking all the viewers for their ability to do so).

The thing is with them and the two guys mentioned above, they are (as far as I'm aware) all just swell people that asked for donations but never demanded it. I mean the yogscast guys only force you to pay for either merch, or the SoI soundtrack (and even then you can listen to it for free on itunes, you just can't have the MP3s without paying). The MCEdit guy is just kind of bein a dick about and treating his mod like a hostage situation. "Either you coppas give me 10,000 dollas or the mod gets it, see!"

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010
Distance based cube selection + my retarded brain solved an issue I thought I had solved + some other fixes not really visible but yeah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_xV5zvyNB0

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Why is there no option to have hunger and non-regenerating health without enemy mobs. I just wanted to play Harvest Moon cube edition without having to worry about the awful combat. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Enzer posted:

Yesssss, I hope this isn't just Jeb goofing around and that this is indicating we are getting giant spider mobs. Heck, that might be a cool "boss" monster that has a chance of spawning in deep caves. I remember forever ago when Jeb was working on strongholds that he wanted to do boss/miniboss style mobs.

There's a slime in the picture too. They're not giant; Jeb's implementing tiny towns.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jamesman posted:

There's a slime in the picture too. They're not giant; Jeb's implementing tiny towns.

I wish (I would love to go godzilla and destroy their tiny town), but it looks like the flatland gen, which I think people said is near bedrock, so it's probably just the spawn condition for that mob.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Yeah, you do know slimes come in "pretty drat big" right?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I really hope there's a major change to how mobs spawn. I am actually sick of the fact that they simply 'spawn in the dark.' I would much prefer it if there are certain conditions that must be met for them to spawn - such as the location of a crypt dungeon nearby which makes zombies start emerging. Or a graveyard. Or a creeper nest.

They should still spawn about as numerous as they do now - I just want them to spawn in ways that make more sense. Dark could still be a factor in when they spawn - but you can actually destroy their ability to spawn in that area by adventuring, and after which you can build things in the dark in the general area without a problem.

R4WK
Jun 12, 2003
lol klerck lol

Jamesman posted:

Due to not knowing about the height limitations, combined with the looming threat of 1.2, I'm never going to finish what was SUPPOSED to be a massive Egyptian statue of Horus made with sandstone.

So instead here is my tribute to legs, I guess. :/

https://twitter.com/!/jeb_/status/167274300196405248

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Willie Trombone posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reason they added in the moon phases like they did was so that they could eventually add mob seiges on full moons, but then couldn't get them to work with the mobs' crappy AI, hence the real reason they had to finally break down and hire an AI guy. There has been talk of huge enemies or even swarms showing up rarely since at least around the time slimes were added, so with that one guy working on zombie seiges, I wouldn't be surprised if giant enemies also got into the mix eventually.

Actually someone tweeted Notch saying "The moon doesn't have phases!" and he said "I'll fix that!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Law posted:

Why is there no option to have hunger and non-regenerating health without enemy mobs. I just wanted to play Harvest Moon cube edition without having to worry about the awful combat. :(

Sorry, Rune Factory is better.