Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Quite simply: one of the most original films I've ever seen. It's accessible enough to enjoy one time, but with enough depth to reward repeat viewings. I could nitpick random things (like putting Juno in it), but that would only be a futile effort to talk myself out of how much I love the movie.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uno.mannschaft
Dec 23, 2006
A movie that reminded of the Matrix in a couple of ways. What could have been an entertaining action story with some nice effects is ruined by trying to have some sort of depth. The characters are not only one dimensional but also uninteresting, compare DiCaprio's effort to his acting in Shutter Island and you see he probably didn't have that much to work with. To move the story along without leaving the audience behind a lot of the dialog consists of the characters explaining what they are doing, a bit like watching a C.S.I. episode. There are some terrible comic relief moments that doesn't fit with the overall mood of the movie and just breaks the tension. And towards the end I got the feeling they were running out of time and just edited together some of the worst last 10 minutes since I don't know when.

As an action-packed big Hollywood production it has its merits just like the Matrix or Avatar and the like, but it's nothing that stays with you for more than 5 minutes.
3/5

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This movie hit on so many cylinders for me. The cast is excellent; Joseph Gordon-Levitt is one of my favorite up-and-coming actors, it was great seeing him in a role like this.

The meticulous nature of this plot is awe-inducing, that it wraps up without any loose ends is astounding to me. It is complex, but not beyond the comprehension of someone watching it through a second or third time (which I will attest to).

Inception is definitely the best movie I have seen in the past 5 years, and it ranks up there with my top 10 of all-time list.

Thank you Mr. Nolan.

5/5

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
After watching this movie I was surprised that literally anyone could walk away from it the slightest bit confused. The audience is beaten over the head with verbal and visual descriptions of why things are occuring.

It's overall a pretty neat movie. If you're willing to just kind of jump on for the ride and let it take you, it's really entertaining.

It's definitely not without it's issues though. People that are calling this the best movie ever or something that will be discussed for decades are grossly exaggerating.

The special effects are quite awesome, some of the acting is quite good. The premise is pretty neat as well. There's some glaring holes in it overall when you look back at it a bit more critically though.

Overall, I think it's a very enjoyable movie experience. Just don't try to justify why it's awesome afterwards or you'll start to realize you were duped!

5/5

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
An entertaining experiment but because Matrix comparisons are inevitable I will have to point out that its flaws are in a similar vein. The movie goes through a lot of effort to set up some justifiably terrifying scenarios of being trapped in a hellish state of undeath only to completely destroy the house of cards within minutes by portraying protagonists as invincible super men that would put Rambo to shame. In a Nolan movie, where great care is taken to make things seem "real", the mercenary-like skill of these characters is extremely suspect and it stands out. A lot of tension flies out the window about halfway through the film because it became inconceivable that these characters could actually die.

4/5

Mr Hinky
Mar 16, 2008

Christmas Poo
Absolutely loved this movie. The ending kind of confused me (and still kinda does) but still doesn't take away from the greatness of this movie.

5/5

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What was most interesting was the feelings/thoughts the movie put into your mind. If one has ever had experiences of psychedelics, this movie more than any I've seen is reminiscent of that feeling that everything might just break right now, when he's talking to the son of the dying father, and he sees his kids and the world starts shaking and he thinks he's about to lose it is exactly what I mean. The whole spent 50 years in a dream is something that resonates with me too, and the associated feelings, and then after the massive action climax and he just wakes up on the train, looking around at everyone and it's like everyone had just shared this amazing life changing experience, and they all look like they've just come out of an intense acid trip..
I loved it, although it wasn't without it's massive holes, which you have to ignore.
And the paradox thing? That was loving cheesy as hell and served no purpose other than to impress with special effects. The special effects were great but half the time unnecessary, and detracted from the mindstate it put me to to be honest.
Despite those flaws, still the best movie I have seen for a very long time.
4.9/5

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
A slightly autistic engineer took a large dose of melatonin before going to bed one night, after watching Heat. This is the cold, meticulous and ultimately boring dream he had.

2.5/5

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

This movie is a fantastic litmus test for friends. If someone tells me they were confused by this movie, I instantly know that they're far too stupid to be worthy of my time. Everything you need to understand the film was explicitly stated over the course of the film in boring exposition sequences. If the ending was in any way ambiguous to you, you're an imbecile.

Things did go boom though, and they did look pretty while going boom. The action sequences kept me from turning the drat movie off, at least.

2/5

Rabid Koala fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 30, 2011

iSuck
Jul 22, 2005

by T. Mascis
My main gripe with this film was the characters and their monotonous need to over explain what later is portrayed as false or vague. Also, I really wish the film's pacing was corrected to address the all too slow setup.

The conclusion felt like a huge gently caress you to the audience right around the airport scene. Why bother setting up all this for so long just to keep yanking the rug out from me? I never considered it was all a dream from the start! :rolleyes:

More plot twists somehow making a story more cerebral is just a fallacy. It comes off as sloppy writing, especially when used for plot convenience which renders a lot of the previous suspense void by this point in the film. Much in the manner the original Matrix which I really enjoyed was degraded by the sequels.

Do yourself a favor and watch this in the highest quality format possible if not a theatre. You can at least extract the amazing technical work that went into the production with the innovative and inspiring visual sequences. Though, a lot potential feels wasted on an environment that was at times like others have echoed all too static in feel.

3/5 for effort.

iSuck fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 15, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
This is a fun and clever thriller with sci-fi tendencies that unfortunately is somewhat bloated in it's execution.

There is an obscene amount of exposition regarding the rules of what occurs in the dream state and how that effecte reality, and this is immediately followed by a quick announcement that those rules do not apply for this specific case. A huge part of the film (complete with impressive special effects) seems dedicated to confirming the notion that this is a dreamworld where the laws of reality don't apply and anything is possible. It is then followed with all scenarios in this dreamworld being rather typical, mundane environments where everyone fights with regular guns.

That said, it is certainly an entertaining thrill ride while it lasts. The sub-plot involving the main character's past coming to haunt him is also very compelling. But it is also rather pulpy and forgettable, full of inconsistencies, plot holes and convieniences which makes the championing of this film as deep and intelligent rather confusing.

3/5

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
This movie is about exactly as good and philosophically deep and engaging as The Matrix was, which is to say, in absolute terms, not very much, but for a Hollywood action block buster it's still quite an achievement. In other words, it uses some pop psychology/comic book science and morality to set up a rather shallow background to ground the action scenes in that dominate the latter half of the movie. Which makes it at least more thoughtful and intelligent than the majority of such movies, which don't even pretend to get to that level. As to the action scenes, they're all very competently executed and quite engaging at times. The characters are all archetypes and quite shallow, which is to be expected, but none of that makes this a bad movie. I thought it was quite entertaining. Don't go pretending it makes any deep philosophical statements or that the plot is deep or complicated (or even makes any sense in real-world terms) whatsoever, just like you wouldn't when watching The Matrix, and you can have quite the fun time watching it. All in all I'd say it rates about a 3.5 out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
At the core, Inception is just a generic action movie with a gimmick thrown in to allow the characters to do all sorts of generic action movie stuff stuff in diverse environments. Adding layers of plot complexity by having the need to "go deeper" doesn't make it profound; it's just an excuse for more environments for the action scenes to take place. Overall it's a decent throwaway action flick, but nothing more.

2/5