Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad

Panic! At The cisco posted:

lmbo (laufghing my bean off)

https://vimeo.com/12071239

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
don't make me find and scan my star trek comic books.

because the roof probably leaked on them and ruined them or something :(

toby
Dec 4, 2002

lord funk posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE FOUNDATION TRILOGY INTO MY EYEBALLS. ITS ASIMOV AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SELDON. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN SQUEAKING SOUNDS WHEN I WHEEL OUT OF THE TIME CAPSULE AND TELL THE FOUNDATIONISTS ABOUT THE CRISIS THEY JUST HAD. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY CONTROL THE FUTURE WITH ALGEBRA. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 7 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT.

same

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
seldon isn't the main character of the foundation trilogy though, he isn't really even in it, he's the main character in prelude to foundation though which is also a good book

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
all the books outside the original 3 and maybe edge are bad, he should never have done that whole "secret immortal puppet master daneel" poo poo

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

coaxmetal posted:

seldon isn't the main character of the foundation trilogy though, he isn't really even in it, he's the main character in prelude to foundation though which is also a good book

yeah and the first chapter of foundation was added after the rest was written, kind of gluing the short stories together. lookit how much i know about foundation

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

haveblue posted:

all the books outside the original 3 and maybe edge are bad, he should never have done that whole "secret immortal puppet master daneel" poo poo

naw that's alright. but it always irked me how earth was some mystical world that *gasp* had only one moon.

like in the entire universe there isn't a single planet out there that only has one moon. not one.

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
i love foundation

i should read caves of steel

Kirk
Sep 22, 2003
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation%27s_Friends

:gonk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
caves of steel owns a lot, read it. it's asimov proving wrong john w. campbell's assertion that a good sci fi detective story is impossible

naked sun is not as good it's basically about a planet where the people are unable to deal mentally with face to face contact so they do everything through videophones and robots (i.e. goonworld)

robots of dawn I liked a lot but it's really slow and philosophical

do not read robots and empire for the above reason

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
best asimov book imo is the gods themselves

I need to reread caves of steel though I read it a longass time ago

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

lord funk posted:

naw that's alright. but it always irked me how earth was some mystical world that *gasp* had only one moon.

like in the entire universe there isn't a single planet out there that only has one moon. not one.

That's not what makes it unique you nit, it's the size of the moon in relation to the size of earth.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

isaac asimov fanfiction

toby
Dec 4, 2002

haveblue posted:

caves of steel owns a lot, read it. it's asimov proving wrong john w. campbell's assertion that a good sci fi detective story is impossible
imo asmiov was able to do this because (and this is also the reason he owns in general) his universe has consistent, logical rules and he follows them. also, you know, that whole thing about how he is a very good writer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

my favourite shatner moment was when he wrote a book to bring kirk back to life after they killed him in generations

my favorite shatner moment was when he got all mad that they wouldn't let him say "bridge... on... the captain..." when he was dying

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

toby posted:

imo asmiov was able to do this because (and this is also the reason he owns in general) his universe has consistent, logical rules and he follows them. also, you know, that whole thing about how he is a very good writer

he has a book in every dewey decimal category

including shakespeare criticism

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asimov owns the most

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Shaggar posted:

asimov owns the most

shaggar... was right...

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

toby posted:

shaggar... was right...

broken clock, yadda, yadda

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ho sweet jesus

quote:

This May, IDW Publishing will release an Eleventh Doctor/The Next Generation mash-up comic book starring (among many people) The Doctor, Rory, Amy, Picard, Worf, Data, Geordi, Troi, and Riker.
I'm guessing the doctor and Q make out at some point

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

toby posted:

yeah basically campbell's argument was that there was no way you could make a story authentically "sci fi" and not also have the main character carry around a magic gadget that would automatically solve all the crimes for him

toby
Dec 4, 2002

haveblue posted:

yeah basically campbell's argument was that there was no way you could make a story authentically "sci fi" and not also have the main character carry around a magic gadget that would automatically solve all the crimes for him

i am familiar

that's what i mean, asimov's universe has rules and he doesn't cheat his way around them. he successfully built a mystery that was difficult to solve in the universe he created, and nobody got any magical "criminal detector wristbands" or anything

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Asimov owns as a person and as a non-fiction writer. He can't write interesting stories about people, only interesting concepts.

It really sucks that he died of aids, when treatment was just a couple of years away :sigh:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

ho sweet jesus

lmao

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

toby posted:

i am familiar

that's what i mean, asimov's universe has rules and he doesn't cheat his way around them. he successfully built a mystery that was difficult to solve in the universe he created, and nobody got any magical "criminal detector wristbands" or anything

unlike csi

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

qirex posted:

ho sweet jesus

they make these really bad doctor who crossover comics and put them in every library

its really bad and makes everyone think doctor who is spergier than it is (its still really spergy)

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

star trek and xmen best crossover

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Having just watched Sherlock (the new BBC series) I can tell you that the Doctor no longer seems spergy at all.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

star trek and xmen best crossover

That it is.

sticky wizard
Nov 19, 2008

LP97S posted:

drat geordi is being a fuckin creeper

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

sticky wizard posted:

drat geordi is being a fuckin creeper
that's 14-year old kitty pryde he's staring at, isn't it?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Why didn't Lwaxana Troi follow the Enterprise and try to marry Professor Xavier?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

LP97S posted:

when did prof x ditch the wheelchair

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

LP97S posted:

Having just watched Sherlock (the new BBC series) I can tell you that the Doctor no longer seems spergy at all.

That it is.

This isn't drawn very well.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
More Season 8:

With the Enterprise in for repairs, Picard recounts three tall tales to the senior staff. Barclay severs his finger playing with a door.

A Tasha Yar clone hails the ship; the crew turns off the lights and pretends they're not home. The ladies on deck 8 love them some Riker.

Picard finds Jane Austen in a victorian cryo-pod, doubts her identity but still dates her. Beverly spies on them from behind a plant.

A bounty on Wesley attracts increasingly dangerous space mercenaries. Geordi & Data get in a fight, divide the Enterprise in half with tape.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Season 8 is the best season ever. I would watch the gently caress out of season 8.

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006

LP97S posted:

Geordi & Data get in a fight, divide the Enterprise in half with tape.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The whacky conclusion occurs when Geordi has to go to Data's side of the Warp Core.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

JumpinJackFlash posted:

This isn't drawn very well.

you expect quality in the sequel to a star trek/x-men crossover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Deuterieux posted:

i'm 99% convinced that the crossover was conceived just for this joke

• Locked thread