Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

hooah posted:

Was there supposed to be a link here somewhere?

derp

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481613

here it is. its running flawlessly and i'm getting amazing battery life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

donglelord posted:

It is an either or thing. Either you can have it tied to the physical device (as now) or tied to your Google account. With the way people use the same password for loving everything (me included) it really isn't that hard to swipe a google account.

Maybe look into enabling two factor authentication for your Google account?

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/advanced-sign-in-security-for-your.html

Still doesn't help if someone has your phone, unlock key/picture of your phase, and account password; but I don't know what would help in this case.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
I was trying out random ROMs for my Evo3d the other day, and found one that I kinda liked, so I bookmarked the thread.

I come back a few days later and:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=21444827&postcount=2645

Holy crap, that is just as hilarious as it is terrible.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

godzirraRAWR posted:

I was trying out random ROMs for my Evo3d the other day, and found one that I kinda liked, so I bookmarked the thread.

I wish this surprised me, but doesn't at all.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

godzirraRAWR posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

I hate XDA.

I tried the Deck ICS ROM for my Evo 3D and what worked, I loved. Of course, things that didn't work included calendar, camera, oh, and the phone...

I really want HTC to put out their goddamn ICS update already :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hate XDA.

I tried the Deck ICS ROM for my Evo 3D and what worked, I loved. Of course, things that didn't work included calendar, camera, oh, and the phone...

Deck's version definitely has a working calendar and phone. I use both of those on mine just fine.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

IOwnCalculus posted:

I hate XDA.

inbREDed? What does that even mean? I'm guessing it took more time to make that gif than it did the ROM.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh XDA :allears:

The first reply to that post posted:

Y U MOAN?!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

So I am probably correct in assuming that trying to use a root for the Razr would be stupid for my new Droid 4, right? Probably have to wait for a specific method for it specifically, yeah?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Kyrosiris posted:

So I am probably correct in assuming that trying to use a root for the Razr would be stupid for my new Droid 4, right? Probably have to wait for a specific method for it specifically, yeah?

While there are rooting tools that do a span of phones, yeah, don't count on it. Make sure plenty of others have tested a method for a specific phone model and have written up "for dummies" instructions before you sacrifice your $600 phone to an untested method.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

That's what I thought. I can live without SetCPU and the Roboto font for a while until a good method comes out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Kyrosiris posted:

The Droid 2 and Droid X could use the same tools, and I think the Razr and Droid 4 will probably work the same way. Civil gives some good advice, but I doubt that you're going to brick your phone with a root exploit unless you have to flash something.

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what I thought. I can live without SetCPU and the Roboto font for a while until a good method comes out.

I did not know that SetCPU worked with stock kernels! That's pretty nifty. Do you use it for profiles and such?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Codiusprime posted:

I did not know that SetCPU worked with stock kernels! That's pretty nifty. Do you use it for profiles and such?

Yup. Mostly to underclock the CPU when the screen's off or when I'm sub-25% battery.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks
So, I'd like to root my original Transformer in order to put a less quirky ROM on it. Should I wait for ICS to come out so I can get an ICS based ROM, or does it even matter?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Smeego posted:

So, I'd like to root my original Transformer in order to put a less quirky ROM on it. Should I wait for ICS to come out so I can get an ICS based ROM, or does it even matter?

You should be able to root now and once the ICS update comes out, use RootKeeper to maintain root access. What sort of problems are you having?

Lick Joe
Sep 30, 2000
Forum Veteran
I am a big retard and I cannot figure out if there are any currently fully functional ICS ROMs available for a few Sprint phones I was checking out: the Photon, the Nexus S, and the EVO 3D. I've tried going through the XDA forums, but all I see is a bunch of

typically without useful information like "Here's a list of what doesn't work". Is it worth hunting through the forums to try and dig up a solid ROM, or should I just wait until one of them becomes established as the standout?

Lick Joe fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 10, 2012

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lick Joe posted:

I am a big retard and I cannot figure out if there are any currently fully functional ICS ROMs available for a few Sprint phones I was checking out:
Photon: No
Nexus S: Yes
EVO 3D: No

Lick Joe posted:

Is it worth hunting through the forums to try and dig up a solid ROM, or should I just wait until one of them becomes established as the standout?
For ICS/CM9 suport the NS4G is the standout. It's the only one with "official" ICS, in the sense of an official source-drop and a leaked update. The actual OTA update hasn't hit yet, but neither of the other two devices have an ICS leak or anything aside from what some folks hacked together from GB.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jokersax has a fairly functional Atrix cm9 ROM based on a photon ROM, so google that and check it out

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Manky posted:

Jokersax has a fairly functional Atrix cm9 ROM based on a photon ROM, so google that and check it out

I'm currently running one of his latest Atrix alphas and it's been great so far.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I decided to check out XDA for an ICS ROM for my Sensation 4G since I clicked on that link up there (what a clusterfuck).

I downloaded Virtuous Inquisition 3.0, and everyone said it was stable etc etc. But it just sent my poor phone into constant bootloops, so I had to pull the battery and restore my nandroid backup. In between I tried pulling the battery and letting it boot up, reflashing the same thing, rebooting etc.

Anyone else running some sort of ICS ROM on a Sensation 4G?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I love how retarded the names of roms for the Virtuous team are getting. They make generally decent stuff but holy hell their naming scheme is downright hysterical.

Off the top of my head

Virtuous Doubleshot
Virtuous Unity
Virtuous Sense 2.2
Virtuous Quattro
Virtuous Affinity
Virtuous G-Lite

and now, Virtuous Inquisition. This is why you don't crowd source your names.

Smeego
Sep 9, 2001

japan sucks

Kynetx posted:

You should be able to root now and once the ICS update comes out, use RootKeeper to maintain root access. What sort of problems are you having?
The glaring issue I'm having is random browser crashes. I can't figure out why they're happening exactly, which is obnoxious. I know it happens most often when I'm on a text-heavy page for a long time, and that's about it. Different browsers don't help either, they crash just as often on the same things.

I'm hoping a different ROM nerd-magically fixes it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Can anyone recommend a free root explorer that will let me modify files in the system directory? I know root explorer does, but I really don't want to pay four bucks to change one file.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slopehead posted:

and now, Virtuous Inquisition. This is why you don't crowd source your names.

Nobody expects the Virtuous Inquisition.... to work!

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Can anyone recommend a free root explorer that will let me modify files in the system directory? I know root explorer does, but I really don't want to pay four bucks to change one file.

Estrong's (ES File explorer on the market.)

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

big mean giraffe posted:

Estrong's (ES File explorer on the market.)

Aha! Already had it, didn't realize it had a root explorer mode. Thanks!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nobody expects the Virtuous Inquisition.... to work!

You know the irony is that I've had the exact same type of issues with every Virtuous Team built rom other than the stuff they've made off of OTAs. Those are generally fantastic. Sense 2.2 was super stable for the G2. Their kernel work is all top notch, but their multi device roms are often just ridiculously buggy trash.

Unity, Doubleshot, and Affinity have all had problems ranging from non-functional keyboard backlighting, to broken tether, to strange memleak/wakelock issues which drained the battery. Nevermind my problems with Quattro in this past week.

Of course, talking to XDA about it is just...uuugh...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I finally had to ditch Quattro on my Sensation. I've owned Windows ME machines more stable than that.

Trip-whatthefuckever has a nice CM9 alpha out for the Sensation though. BT and video recording are still broken until HTC releases ICS base ROM's next month but I haven't had a single app crash, reboot or lag fest since installing it a couple of days ago. I'm actually kinda surprised.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus christ this is frustrating. Apparently, a recent Evo3d patch removed root powers for superuser, so I'm trying to reroot it. It's still unlocked, and I grabbed superoneclick to unroot/root it like I had before. However, superoneclick just freezes up now at 'starting adb' server. Is superoneclick no longer the preferred method? I can't find poo poo on the XDA forums or google since everything is out of date.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think that ever supported the Evo 3D. Are you still on h-boot 1.4 with s-off bootloader? And you shouldn't be installing updates OTA if you're rooted, in fact they shouldn't install at all.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I finally had to ditch Quattro on my Sensation. I've owned Windows ME machines more stable than that.

Trip-whatthefuckever has a nice CM9 alpha out for the Sensation though. BT and video recording are still broken until HTC releases ICS base ROM's next month but I haven't had a single app crash, reboot or lag fest since installing it a couple of days ago. I'm actually kinda surprised.

Is the battery life decent like all the other ICS ROMs or abysmal like CM7 for Sensation? I'd quite like to go on ICS early but Inquisition was a car crash and I've heard that most others aren't really 'stable' unless you're an XDA moron.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kameleon posted:

Is the battery life decent like all the other ICS ROMs or abysmal like CM7 for Sensation? I'd quite like to go on ICS early but Inquisition was a car crash and I've heard that most others aren't really 'stable' unless you're an XDA moron.

I'd say battery life is on par with with stock Sense 3.0 Gingerbread. Better than CM7 but nothing to call home about (I use an EVO3D battery so it's a touch bigger than stock). Alpha 6 was compiled and released today on rootzwiki. BT and video recording are still broken and will remain broken until we get source from HTC. I haven't had a single reboot or silent app crash (no error) in days and everything other than vidrec/BT truly does work. You have to be running firmware 3.24+ to run any ICS ROM. Do your research though as I think loving around with a bunch of them may have caused me to permanently gently caress my /cache partition. I haven't really looked into it though because at the moment I'm pretty :effort:

http://rootzwiki.com/topic/17963-rom-11-02-cyanogenmod-9-beta-006-tripnraver-unofficial/

Quattro is going to forever be broken because Virtuous can't figure out multi device support.
Inquisition is forever hosed because it's a vanilla wannabe build with a Sense back end.
Sense ICS is just loving awful so I don't bother with those.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

big mean giraffe posted:

I don't think that ever supported the Evo 3D. Are you still on h-boot 1.4 with s-off bootloader? And you shouldn't be installing updates OTA if you're rooted, in fact they shouldn't install at all.

It worked for me the first time. What one should I be using to root with? I'm on h-boot 1.5. I have no idea why root stopped working, I assumed it was OTA but even if it wasn't, I'm still going to need to reroot it seems, as superuser is now denied superuser permission.

edit-i'll try to follow this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1239821 and report back

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 11, 2012

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

derp

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1481613

here it is. its running flawlessly and i'm getting amazing battery life

I've got a VZW GNex running 4.0.2 stock. Aside from ClockworkMod and the superuser binary, I haven't flashed anything weird to it. Should I use that "Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image And New Radios & Bootloader"? I don't have to wipe /data for it, right? Just the caches?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zweihander01 posted:

I've got a VZW GNex running 4.0.2 stock. Aside from ClockworkMod and the superuser binary, I haven't flashed anything weird to it. Should I use that "Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image And New Radios & Bootloader"? I don't have to wipe /data for it, right? Just the caches?
As long as you aren't doing any of the mods (notably Facebook Sync) then you should be fine just wiping cache/Dalvik (although really you could probably get away with neither).

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

mastershakeman posted:

It worked for me the first time. What one should I be using to root with? I'm on h-boot 1.5. I have no idea why root stopped working, I assumed it was OTA but even if it wasn't, I'm still going to need to reroot it seems, as superuser is now denied superuser permission.

edit-i'll try to follow this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1239821 and report back

Yeah, the only way to root hboot 1.5 is the official HTC method. Previous versions could be rooted with revolutionary.io which gets you s=off. As far as I know those are the only ways to root a 3D.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah, the only way to root hboot 1.5 is the official HTC method. Previous versions could be rooted with revolutionary.io which gets you s=off. As far as I know those are the only ways to root a 3D.

The HTC method only unlocks, not roots, which is why I'm so confused as to this. Even if it did root, why would it have unrooted? Aurhg

edit-Adb isn't seeing my attached device. I have usb debugging on, tried both with mounted & unmounted disk. Any idea which of the million steps went wrong? I'm pretty pissy right now about having to do this all over for no reason that I can understand.

edit-somehow got that working, HTC Sync doesn't see the device but adb does. Got it into recovery mode, went to install the su zip, but that errored out in /tmp/sideload/package.zip. Gotta run for a while but jesus loving christ
edit-it worked upon reboot despite erroring out. I'm the best! Mission accomplished.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

mastershakeman posted:

The HTC method only unlocks, not roots, which is why I'm so confused as to this. Even if it did root, why would it have unrooted? Aurhg

edit-Adb isn't seeing my attached device. I have usb debugging on, tried both with mounted & unmounted disk. Any idea which of the million steps went wrong? I'm pretty pissy right now about having to do this all over for no reason that I can understand.

edit-somehow got that working, HTC Sync doesn't see the device but adb does. Got it into recovery mode, went to install the su zip, but that errored out in /tmp/sideload/package.zip. Gotta run for a while but jesus loving christ
edit-it worked upon reboot despite erroring out. I'm the best! Mission accomplished.

All you have to do is flash the su.zip file or flash a rooted stock rom.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 11, 2012