Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

I keep hearing this complaint. How is it that there's apparently no mod that improves or fixes some of the annoyances of the combat?

A mod? :smith:

The game is not, out of the box, moddable. The combat mechanics are hard-coded into the engine in any case, and Septerra Core doesn't have a large following of dedicated hackers reverse engineering it. Valkyrie Studios might have someday released modding tools and even source code, but they went out of business shortly after releasing SC. Ownership of everything - tools, file format specifications, source, copyrights, everything - is now in the hands of Topware Interactive, who are douchebags.

So, no, there's no mod.

Toadsniff posted:

I bought this game back in the day, it was called Odium here in the US. It is by far the hardest, cheapest strategy game I've played, it's ammo management is even worse than the first Resident Evil's, there are encounters every 5 steps, and they all take like 10-20 minutes to complete. I didn't find it fun, but maybe there's an apologist around somewheres...

I kind of enjoyed Odium, but...yeah. Ammo and resource management is completely unforgiving, combat is brutal, you're usually outnumbered, outgunned, or both, and while encounters aren't random or repeating, most of them don't show up on the map either - enemies just burst from nowhere.

If you approach it as a super-hardcore turn-based tactical combat game (rather than the tactical JRPG it kind of presents as) it's not too bad, but then you have to answer the question "why am I playing this instead of X-COM or Jagged Alliance 2", and I have yet to come up with an answer for that question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

synertia posted:

Or you can use gems and take screenshots to keep for later. :ssh:
Gotta do it old-school, man.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Thanks to this thread, I saved a whole 2 dollars on The 7th Guest! :v:

But in all seriousness, MAN, this is a good game. (Then again, it might be me looking through rose-colored glasses.) Especially once you enable the General MIDI - that opening sequence sends shivers down my spine every time.

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Oh yeah, for those who are using Tafferpatch for Thief 2, check out the DDFix.ini file after install. You might want to turn down the bloom amount (128 is fine - 255 is way excessive), but also turn on the Dynamic Gamma option, which gives Garrett convincing night-vision. No longer will you wander into a dark room and be completely blind, as he'll gain cat-like sight in a few seconds.

It also affects the bloom, so you'll only see 'glaring' brightness if it's a single light in an otherwise dark scene. In a well-lit room, lights will appear normal. It works pretty great.

Loving the dynamic gamma. After a little tweaking it's pretty perfect, getting a consistent level of visibility from complete darkness to bright lit rooms and the effect is seamless. Now you can always see but without looking washed out.

Increased the decay so things brighten up faster and also scaled down the health icons and stealth gem so there's less glare from them. Just less visual fatigue from all that high contrast. Still seems like a modern game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I take it dynamic Gamma is Thief 2 only? Not present in Thief 1?

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I take it dynamic Gamma is Thief 2 only? Not present in Thief 1?

Check the DDFix.ini in your Thief folder. Turn on postprocessing and tweak dynamic gamma if needed. Not sure though.

e: Looks like those features were added in ddfix 1.5.11. I have to try this with SS2.

Gaph fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 11, 2012

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Is the Earth 21xx series still worth playing? How do the games compare to CNC games?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gaph posted:

Check the DDFix.ini in your Thief folder. Turn on postprocessing and tweak dynamic gamma if needed. Not sure though.

e: Looks like those features were added in ddfix 1.5.11. I have to try this with SS2.

Well, I think they're in there. I swapped a few 0s for 1s, but I can't really tell if its working in game, nothing seems to be changing.

Here is what it looks like after I changed it:
code:
;Adjust gamma dynamically based on average intensity. EnableGamma must be 1. 
;Float. Resulting gamma is DynamicGamma*(ln(averageIntensity)-3)+userGamma, 
;clamped to [0.5, 1.5], where averageIntensity is sampled from the screen 
;(range [0, 255]) and userGamma is set by the user from the keyboard or menu. 
;The reasonable range for DynamicGamma is something like [0, 0.5].
;DynamicGamma=1

;Adjust BloomThreshold dynamically based on average intensity. Boolean.
;DynamicThreshold=1

;The rate of decay per second for average intensity. Affects both dynamic 
;gamma and dynamic threshold. Float 0 - 0.99.
;DynamicDecay=.5

;Resulting threshold is DynamicMult*averageIntensity+DynamicAdd. Float.
;DynamicMult=1.5
;DynamicAdd=8.0
Plus
code:
[PostProcessing]

;Enable postprocessing. Boolean.
;Enable=1

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Toadsniff posted:

I bought this game back in the day, it was called Odium here in the US. It is by far the hardest, cheapest strategy game I've played, it's ammo management is even worse than the first Resident Evil's, there are encounters every 5 steps, and they all take like 10-20 minutes to complete. I didn't find it fun, but maybe there's an apologist around somewheres...

Same here, I hated it.

Imagine a somewhat less-in-depth Jagged Alliance expect all your guns suck and ammo is rarer than the holy grail.

I couldn't even get past the first fight because I kept running out of ammo.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Well, I think they're in there. I swapped a few 0s for 1s, but I can't really tell if its working in game, nothing seems to be changing.

Here is what it looks like after I changed it:
code:
;DynamicGamma=1

;DynamicThreshold=1

;DynamicDecay=.5

;DynamicMult=1.5
;DynamicAdd=8.0
Plus
code:
[PostProcessing]

;Enable=1

I did that same and didn't notice any difference. I assume something isn't working right. Game still plays well regardless but it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lines starting with ; are comments. They don't do anything.

Try replacing this:
code:
[PostProcessing]

;Enable=1
With this:
code:
[PostProcessing]

Enable=1
Try also reading the comments. For example, this:
code:
;DynamicGamma=1
Is probably a bad idea (or would be if it weren't also commented out), given that the line immediately prior reads: The reasonable range for DynamicGamma is something like [0, 0.5]. (And from personal experience I can say that even 0.5 is way too high; mine is 0.15.)

FWIW, my settings are postprocessing on, saturation 255, bloom 96, bloom spread 4, dynamic gamma 0.15.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I did wonder about if that stuff was commented out, but since every single line in the .ini is commented out like that, I wasn't sure. I'm not good at this ini editing stuff. :ohdear:

Well, that definitely didn't work. :v:

code:
DynamicGamma=0.15

DynamicThreshold=1

DynamicDecay=.5

DynamicMult=1.5
DynamicAdd=8.0

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 11, 2012

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Lines starting with ; are comments. They don't do anything.

Try replacing this:
code:
[PostProcessing]

;Enable=1
With this:
code:
[PostProcessing]

Enable=1
Try also reading the comments. For example, this:
code:
;DynamicGamma=1
Is probably a bad idea (or would be if it weren't also commented out), given that the line immediately prior reads: The reasonable range for DynamicGamma is something like [0, 0.5]. (And from personal experience I can say that even 0.5 is way too high; mine is 0.15.)

FWIW, my settings are postprocessing on, saturation 255, bloom 96, bloom spread 4, dynamic gamma 0.15.

Thanks! Turns out I forgot to turn post-processing on. Not sure why Galaga Galaxian .ini is all commented out though. That's weird.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks! Turns out I forgot to turn post-processing on. Not sure why Galaga Galaxian .ini is all commented out though. That's weird.

Are you playing Thief 1? Copy your ddfix.ini into pastebin pretty please? :allears:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Red Mundus posted:

Maybe because it's displaying the default values, and it wants you to uncomment a line if you're going to change something?

quote:

;Sample initialization file for ddfix. The settings are the defaults and
;intentionally commented out. (Uncomment a setting only if you need to change
;the value.)

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
Anyone know how Dream Pinball stacks up to Pro Pinball (Timeshock especially)?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you playing Thief 1? Copy your ddfix.ini into pastebin pretty please? :allears:

Here you go!

http://pastebin.com/5zG7zANm

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Red Mundus posted:

Here you go!

http://pastebin.com/5zG7zANm

Hmmm, with that I just get a white screen (with GUI), like its being way too bright to the point of white out.

Oh wait, other loads/attempts get a similar scrambled screen to my first one.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Feb 11, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Is the Earth 21xx series still worth playing? How do the games compare to CNC games?

Didn't play much of it, but the first one is roughly on par with the original C&C which to me is just too dated to play anymore

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Foodahn posted:

Anyone know how Dream Pinball stacks up to Pro Pinball (Timeshock especially)?

Not very well. Neither the physics nor the table layouts come close. If you need more pinball and don't want to mess around with Future Pinball or wait for Pinball Arcade then it'll work in a pinch, but that's it.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So I'm about to buy Darklands and was curious if there is anything I need to know before diving in.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It'd be hard to make a post that tops the manual and hintbook for usefulness. Just look in the downloadable extras and give them a read.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
For Darklands, I actually found this youtube let's play really useful. It's not stellar by any means, but he actually bothers to go through the trouble of describing what everything means and how it works. Watch him play to get a feel for the flow, if you want.

After you make your characters, just keep fighting thieves at night until you can win easily then head off on some quests. After that, it's just hitting towns and seeing what's going on. The story will emerge eventually.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Awesome, thanks to both of you!

I'll take a peek in the manual it seems. I'm so used to manuals being useless fluff that I keep forgetting that it's required reading for older games.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I was browsing through the catalog for SWAT 4 and noticed they didn't have it. Is it worth getting SWAT 3 instead? Looks good but I'm afraid it might be dated a bit.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Red Mundus posted:

I was browsing through the catalog for SWAT 4 and noticed they didn't have it. Is it worth getting SWAT 3 instead? Looks good but I'm afraid it might be dated a bit.

Wait for part 4. It really doesn't compare.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Red Mundus posted:

SWAT 3 is quite a bit older than 4 and is a pretty different game. It's aged decently, I think, but then again, there really aren't many rainbow-six style games coming out to compare it to nowadays.

E: SWAT 4 with the SWAT 3 map pack is probably the best way to play SWAT 3 for the first time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I own both SWAT 3 and 4 retail and have to say that SWAT 3 is a great game by itself. But if you want something less clunky SWAT 4 is the way to go, it picked the same formula and refined it. My only complain is that SWAT 4 isn't on Steam and I'm too lazy to install my retail version and patch it.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I threw my DDFix.ini for Thief 1 & 2 up on Mediafire if anyone wants a quick set of presets. You'll want to set your own resolution, of course, but everything else should be simple.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Rinkles posted:

Any backers of Gorky?

I finish it, it has a good atmosphere but other than that it's not great. Party members will turn on you at some points of the game and you need to use stupid tactics to survive some boss battles (like blocking them with a crate...). You want to use hatchets & CC weapons all the time and keep your ammo for the bosses. I had it for free with a magazine back in the day but no walkthrough made it a real bitch to finish.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Jesus Christ, I just got to the lost city level in Thief gold and I am ready to give the gently caress up. It's torture. No loot, no secrets, nothing. Just stone corridor after stone corridor. Also why the gently caress are there motion lights in a forgotten lost city? Was there a forgotten lost Home Depot down there as well?

Ugh. PLEASE tell me Thief 2 is better.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~

Red Mundus posted:

Jesus Christ, I just got to the lost city level in Thief gold and I am ready to give the gently caress up. It's torture. No loot, no secrets, nothing. Just stone corridor after stone corridor. Also why the gently caress are there motion lights in a forgotten lost city? Was there a forgotten lost Home Depot down there as well?

Ugh. PLEASE tell me Thief 2 is better.

Yes, it is better.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

pixelbaron posted:

Yes, it is better.

Thanks, glad to hear it.

I loved all the levels so far, even bonehoard, but this is just killing me. I have to force myself to go through all this crap. Doesn't help that the game seems to be slowly abandoning stealth with each passing level.

Still, the mage's tower almost makes up for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Red Mundus posted:

Jesus Christ, I just got to the lost city level in Thief gold and I am ready to give the gently caress up. It's torture. No loot, no secrets, nothing. Just stone corridor after stone corridor.

:eng101: The Lost City actually has more loot than any other level in the game, excepting Escape. Maybe you just aren't looking hard enough?

Red Mundus posted:

I loved all the levels so far, even bonehoard, but this is just killing me. I have to force myself to go through all this crap. Doesn't help that the game seems to be slowly abandoning stealth with each passing level.

:confused: It's what? You may be slowly abandoning stealth, but I'm pretty sure the game isn't.

(Also, I'm pretty sure you're the only person alive who liked Down in the "Where Am I" Bonehoard but dislikes The Lost City)

Anyways, take heart. Power through it with a walkthrough if you have to. The next two levels (Song of the Caverns and Undercover) are both classic sneakathons; then you have Return to the Cathedral, which I personally did not enjoy, but if you liked Down in the Bonehoard there's a good chance you will. Escape is also pretty sneaksie. I don't remember much about Strange Bedfellows, but Into the Maw of Chaos is a fantastic finish to the game.

pixelbaron posted:

Yes, it is better.

Given the context, I'm not sure I agree with this. Yeah, Thief 2 (like Thief 1!) has some fantastic levels, like Life of the Party and First City Bank & Trust - but it also has some stinkers, like Kidnap and Sabotage at Soulforge. Given that Mundus loved every prior level but is now ready to give up on the game entirely just because of The Lost City, I suspect that he'd have the same experience halfway through Thief 2 as well.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

Thanks, glad to hear it.

Still, the mage's tower almost makes up for it.

I just finished the game today, and it is definately worth ploughing through the lost city to reach the next few missions. The one immediately afterwards is probably the best in the game. Unfortunately the quality then nosedives into exactly those problems you mentioned. I was willing the game to be over towards the end just to be done with it.

^^^ToxicFrog^^^
Well horses for courses, but I had the same issues with The Lost City and the direction the game was going in, so I would not advise him to get his hopes up for the end game.

Austen Tassletine fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 12, 2012

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

:confused: It's what? You may be slowly abandoning stealth, but I'm pretty sure the game isn't.

Yeah, the entire game is all about stealth. Maybe there's something hardwired in some gamers brains that makes them forget about sneaking the moment they see a zombie or non-human enemy, but they're even slower and easier to avoid than the guards!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I really liked the Lost City, but then I just liked exploring the Thief world sometimes and getting lost in it. And when I played ThiefG, there was nothing even close to offering the same kind of gameplay. I don't think I'm the only one either: there are several missions (and TTLG forum jokes) about the "Alarus Extension" in Bonehoard, another divisive mission. That is, as large as Bonehoard was, there still is a desire in some to seek out the evasive entrance to the Alarus Extension.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm at the opera house and just fell in love with the game again. Almost the best level so far. :allears:

Honestly lost city was just too barren and the "city" itself was just brown boxes and faux-Egyptian crap. Almost all the loot is concentrated in one area or in small patches. If the level was a tad shorter/more diverse in color I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

What I meant by abandoning stealth is that they seem to be just increasing monster spawns with no logic behind it at all. At one point I entered a room and saw 4+ monsters just hanging around. This seems to be the norm more and more. Putting in a ton of enemies is fine but running around blackjacking burrowers (forgot their name) just gets tedious after awhile. I find the human enemies are a lot better as their AI is more diverse and they at least have some personality. That and human enemies seem to patrol more often giving me a chance to slip by. Most monsters barring zombies and ghosts don't really patrol much so I either have to cheese their AI or just spam arrows from above. To be fair to the game it doesn't happen very often but when it does the game play turns to poo poo.

Zombies are a joke though. Even if they see you, you can just run/sneak right past and they do nothing. They're basically a non-enemy.

Also Lost city wasn't the only level that annoyed me. The haunted Cathedral was a bit of a let down. It was short and the loot was spread out a bit so I didn't mind it too much.

*edit* Forgot to mention but I laughed when I got to the Colosseum. Talk about a let down. I expected a nice, large underground cavern but instead got more corridors. The tower was nice though even if I kept glitching off the sides and falling.

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 13, 2012

Antignition
Oct 13, 2010

The city looks almost bearable from up here.
I can see the dislike for the Lost City. For a thief level it is pretty linear, especially at the start. But the second half of it was fantastic, just for how you use the rubble of the city, and clever use of rope arrows, to progress. Then again I always liked the way thief tackled tomb-raider type platforming. Hitting the edge of a platform after jumping across a chasm and mantling the rest of the way up just felt so awesome.

Then shooting a rope arrow at a rafter to get to the talisman because the stairs were broken.

Always wished there had been more sequences like that. You don't see level design like that anymore.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Antignition posted:

I can see the dislike for the Lost City. For a thief level it is pretty linear, especially at the start. But the second half of it was fantastic, just for how you use the rubble of the city, and clever use of rope arrows, to progress. Then again I always liked the way thief tackled tomb-raider type platforming. Hitting the edge of a platform after jumping across a chasm and mantling the rest of the way up just felt so awesome.

Then shooting a rope arrow at a rafter to get to the talisman because the stairs were broken.

Always wished there had been more sequences like that. You don't see level design like that anymore.

Yep, agreed. Once I got a bit closer to the tower itself it got better but the beginning really turned me off. Especially when I had to fight those tiny spiders that seem impossible to hit. I liked climbing all over the massive rubble and structures and finding some neat stuff. The level itself just felt too long and just too many monsters at the start gave me a really bad impression.

Also, a quick question. What's the best way to deal with tile floors? If I so much as take a step on them almost everyone around hears me and homes in on my position. I use moss arrows but I feel nervous about using so many of them at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

Also, a quick question. What's the best way to deal with tile floors? If I so much as take a step on them almost everyone around hears me and homes in on my position. I use moss arrows but I feel nervous about using so many of them at times.

Moss arrows are indeed your friends but there's also an extremely slow walk speed option from what I recall that also works pretty well.