Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nic Cage as a gimmick actor who is alternately pathetic and insane is not the type of actor you want at the forefront of LoTR. He's his own brand, you don't go to see "Drive Angry" or "Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance", you go to see "the new Nic Cage movie."

Nic Cage is fine and dandy separate from LoTR, but to add him as Aaragorn is to say "Yeah, this 5 course meal is great but wouldn't it be better if we put a gigantic helping of Mac and Cheese all over every single dish, including the drinks and dessert?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think we get to complain about Nick Cage's acting ability (and he's an awesome actor anyways) when LOTOR had Orlando Bloom in a prominent role

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Exactly. I personally cannot stand his shtick even in his type of movies but I understand those that do.

However, nobody should ever defend the idea as a guy who inspires these types of things

to be your Aragorn.

Frankly we got so lucky with Viggo. He's an actor that inspires awe and radiates coolness and general badassery.

He's a bit weird, a bit of a recluse. His film choices are fantastic and eccentric and he effortlessly succeeds in everything I see him in.

He IS Aragorn.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Did I say Nic Cage was a bad actor? I said he's a brand. He'd end up distracting from the overall tone of the movies. Orlando Bloom may be a lovely actor but he's not a "brand" actor, and his shittiness barely impacted the overall tone of the movies.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm actually interested in seeing Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance for reasons that have nothing to do with Nic Cage (mainly in hopes of seeing a proper Ghost Rider movie where the Rider goes around loving poo poo up, then ultimately getting screwed over like he always does, instead of the weaksauce stuff we got in the first movie).

Even if you disagree about LOTR, The Matrix would have definitely been better with Cage instead of Reeves, you have to admit that. At least Cage is capable of displaying emotions.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Orlando Bloom was fine. The only near-casting I really lament is Ethan Hawke as Faramir.

I think he would have been great.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm actually interested in seeing Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance for reasons that have nothing to do with Nic Cage (mainly in hopes of seeing a proper Ghost Rider movie where the Rider goes around loving poo poo up, then ultimately getting screwed over like he always does, instead of the weaksauce stuff we got in the first movie).

Even if you disagree about LOTR, The Matrix would have definitely been better with Cage instead of Reeves, you have to admit that. At least Cage is capable of displaying emotions.

Reeves didn't need emotions for the role and he looked good doing wire-fu

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Reeves didn't need emotions for the role and he looked good doing wire-fu

His constant state of confusion(or whatever that face he makes is) worked for the first movie, but once he became "The One" I think some emotion would have helped keep the last two movies interesting. Like as if, you know, he was actually feeling conflicted over what to do.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That might be true. I didn't think about the last two movies as I don't like to think about them

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Daniel Day-Lewis was offered Aragorn and he turned it down. Then a little while later they tried again because you would, wouldn't you? Daniel Day-Lewis. gently caress.

But he turned it down a second time.

Bugger.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Well I think he would have been perfect. Damnit.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Wouldn't he have done his insane method acting thing? Like trying to heal everyones wounds with herbs and refusing to use anything but a proper great sword? It certainly would've made the production diaries more interesting.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wasn't somebody else actually cast as Aragorn and had to be replaced by Viggo last minute?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah this guy Stuart Townsend

who would have made a great 25 year-old Aragorn, not so much 87.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasn't somebody else actually cast as Aragorn and had to be replaced by Viggo last minute?

Stuart Townshend.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Plucky Brit posted:

Wouldn't he have done his insane method acting thing? Like trying to heal everyones wounds with herbs and refusing to use anything but a proper great sword? It certainly would've made the production diaries more interesting.

Yeah except this is pretty much how Viggo was during filming.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

kiimo posted:

Yeah this guy Stuart Townsend

I have a theory that every movie where Stuart Townsend was replaced with another actor in the last minute ends up being good.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Yeah except this is pretty much how Viggo was during filming.
Yeah, in the documentaries for the EE dvds its shown how they made about a dozen version of every sword; some lighter for extended action scenes and just carrying around in the scabbard, and some fully metal "real" ones for closeups and so on. Viggo insisted on carrying around the real deal and using it pretty much all of the time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

He also became buddies with horse he rode and bought it at the end of the production.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

His constant state of confusion(or whatever that face he makes is) worked for the first movie, but once he became "The One" I think some emotion would have helped keep the last two movies interesting. Like as if, you know, he was actually feeling conflicted over what to do.

Of all the many problems with the last two movies Keanu Reeves was fairly far down on the list. Things like writing and general concept were far far more necessary to address.

And yes, Viggo was method as gently caress during filming of LoTR. There's a story about how Peter Jackson talked with him for an hour before Jackson pointed out that he was calling Viggo Aragorn and Viggo hadn't noticed.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Oberleutnant posted:

Yeah, in the documentaries for the EE dvds its shown how they made about a dozen version of every sword; some lighter for extended action scenes and just carrying around in the scabbard, and some fully metal "real" ones for closeups and so on. Viggo insisted on carrying around the real deal and using it pretty much all of the time.
You can see how he looks tired swinging the thing around too. He looks exasperated and worn out in the Fellowship leading up to Boromir's death. Well, maybe not worn out, but he looks like how someone should have looked after swinging a sword through a bunch of guys.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Alhazred posted:

He also became buddies with horse he rode and bought it at the end of the production.

From the wikipedia...

quote:

In the The Two Towers DVD extras, the film's swordmaster, Bob Anderson, described Mortensen as "the best swordsman I've ever trained."

Mortensen often spent days hiking to the film's remote locations, in costume and carrying his sword, in order to appear authentically travel-worn; he also performed all of his own stunts, and even the injuries he sustained during several of them did not dampen his enthusiasm. At one point during shooting of The Two Towers, Mortensen, Orlando Bloom, and the stunt double for John Rhys-Davies all had fairly serious injuries, and during a shoot of them, running in the mountains, Peter Jackson jokingly referred to the three as "the walking wounded."

Also, according to the Special Extended Edition DVD of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, Mortensen purchased the two horses, Uraeus and Kenny, whom he rode and bonded with over the duration of the films.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
One of my favorite things is that scene in TTT when they discover the burnt pile of orcs and they think Merry and Pippin are dead, he kicks the helmet and lets out a cry of (what we think is) dismay. But Viggo actually broke his toe on that take and its the take they used in the final cut. His cry is of shear pain. Awesome.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'll always remember the desperate, exhausted way he swung the sword to swat away the knife that the orc threw at him in FotR as the moment when I knew that there was nothing half-rear end or formulaic about these movies. It was all but over at that point, but I knew there was a hell of a lot to be excited about still.

(I really didn't expect FotR to turn out to be the best of the three.)

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Apparently there was nothing fake about the way he swatted that knife - no stunt doubles or CGI trickery, and he got it on the first take. Didn't Viggo also break a tooth doing the stunt where he jumps off Amon Hen to attack the Uruk-hai? I think I remember hearing that on one of the commentary tracks. And his battlecry (ELENDIL:black101:) was totally ad-libbed.

Viggo :allears:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A thought that I had thinking back on LOTR. After we're finished viewing both Hobbit movies, I think maybe looking back at the LOTR movies we'll have a slightly more nostalgic feeling towards Bilbo. Like, after we've seen all he's been thru and then you pop in ROTK and it gets to the point where old Bilbo says "I think I'm quite ready for another adventure" when leaving for the Grey Havens, I'll probably cry, I don't know about you guys. (I'm a terrible man-baby that cries at moments like that....the Gandalf "white shores" speech to Pippin gets me every loving time)

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I'll always remember the desperate, exhausted way he swung the sword to swat away the knife that the orc threw at him in FotR as the moment when I knew that there was nothing half-rear end or formulaic about these movies. It was all but over at that point, but I knew there was a hell of a lot to be excited about still.

(I really didn't expect FotR to turn out to be the best of the three.)

I still kind of halfway think that Boromir's death scene is the best thing in all three movies, and, yes, I mean the Extended Editions. I have never watched that scene without just turning into a sobbing mess. God, that's acting. From both Sean and Viggo.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

webmeister posted:

Apparently there was nothing fake about the way he swatted that knife - no stunt doubles or CGI trickery, and he got it on the first take. Didn't Viggo also break a tooth doing the stunt where he jumps off Amon Hen to attack the Uruk-hai? I think I remember hearing that on one of the commentary tracks. And his battlecry (ELENDIL:black101:) was totally ad-libbed.

Viggo :allears:

Also when he kicks that helmet and cries with anger at the beginning of Two Towers, he's ACTUALLY screaming cause he just loving broke a few toes.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Rogue1-and-a-half posted:

I still kind of halfway think that Boromir's death scene is the best thing in all three movies, and, yes, I mean the Extended Editions. I have never watched that scene without just turning into a sobbing mess. God, that's acting. From both Sean and Viggo.

Yeah that scene gets to me every time I see it. Ditto for Theoden dying in ROTK. They sure knew how to write\act a good death-goodbye scene!

Oh god and also when they bury Theodred in TTT is just ugh. poo poo now I want to watch the trilogy.. and for it to be December already.

Rawk Hawk
Sep 22, 2003

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
Sean Bean did such a great job as Boromir. I realized after watching for the first time that, even though I had read LotR something like five times before seeing the movies, I had never bothered to even imagine a face for book Boromir. He was always just some random guy in the Fellowship. Denethor and Faramir got faces, but not big bro.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sean Bean always does a good job in everything he's in. I wish he was in more stuff

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Zzulu posted:

Sean Bean always does a good job in everything he's in. I wish he could die in more stuff

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zzulu posted:

Sean Bean always does a good job in everything he's in. I wish he was in more stuff

Go watch Game of Thrones, he is incredible in it.

Rogue1-and-a-half
Mar 7, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I'm honestly not sure why he's not a huge star. He's got presence, charisma, talent. He'd have made a bad-rear end Bond back in the day. Though, if that had happened, we wouldn't have gotten his great 006 in Goldeneye, so I guess that worked out okay.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Go watch Game of Thrones, he is incredible no longer in it.

I mean, he IS incredible in it, but facts are facts.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah Sean Bean was amazing. Probably my favorite performance of any of the actors in LOTOR and the one that closest matched what I imagined their book counterpart to be like.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
You people are forgetting one of his first big role:

And he didn't even die.

Beardless fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 11, 2012

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the book I was never able to properly imagine Boromir looking royal, you know, like he came from a proud, rich-rear end country where he was for all intents and purposes the crown prince. Bakshi's depiction of him as a horn-helmeted, bearskin-wearing Viking with a giant hobo beard didn't help matters.

It took Jackson, and in particular that one scene where Boromir comes running into frame in slow-motion to join the battle, with his embroidered cloak and expensive-looking armor and the music turning grand and hopeful, to really give him the sense of weight and majesty he really always ought to have had—the thing that made people (especially his dad) always give him the benefit of the doubt, even when he's being a dick.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
You're all forgetting his role in Silent Hill. :colbert:

He really is great though, his dying words to Aragorn are really moving and the scene where he defends Merry and Pippin is one of my favorite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Was Fellowship the first time a movie did the "The bad guy is such a loving BEAST that when he gets stabbed through the gut he just grabs the weapon and hauls himself closer" spot? I recall seeing it a bunch AFTER Fellowship, and they pretty much all seemed lame and sucked in comparison (especially in that godawful Star Trek film which so horribly misused Tom Hardy).

Aragorn cutting the Uruk-Hai's head off after it hauled itself along his sword was an incredible moment in the film.

• Locked thread