Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel
May 2, 2009

bango skank posted:

I'm going to predict about $2million to $2.5million as the ending amount raised for the game. Don't see it getting much more than that seeing how much it's slowed since the first night.

Well it's about ~30% of the donations they got yesterday, so if it continues in this trend they'll be at about $1.7 million, but there might be a bit of a boost every few days due to people may be waiting for their paydays before putting in a big donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Jewel posted:

Except that they're going to make money from this upcoming game they make as well. Plus with all the extra money they make from this kickstarter they can potentially make another game in the future from it. The profits in the end from one or two games + this SHOULD be around $20million.

How do you figure they're going to make 1000% ROI on 1-2 games? If it was likely that they'd make 1000% ROI on 1-2 adventure games, wouldn't they have done that already?

I'm not sure how you figure they're going to get $20m out of $2m. In a fantasy world where they actually saw $15 from each sale of the game (they won't) that'd require them to sell about 1.3 million copies. Grim Fandango did, at best, 500,000 globally.

Is there some secret here I'm missing?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, most of this money is 0 net since the folks putting in the fifteen dollars are also getting copies of the game which would have otherwise sold for fifteen dollars. The profit, as it were, will come from the more generous donors and any sales the game sees.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

notZaar posted:

Who's to say Psychonauts 2 can't be a point and click adventure?

I'd still rather want something new.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

notZaar posted:

Yeah, most of this money is 0 net since the folks putting in the fifteen dollars are also getting copies of the game which would have otherwise sold for fifteen dollars. The profit, as it were, will come from the more generous donors and any sales the game sees.

The average amount paid per contributor is $35 right now, so even then they've made twice as much off of every contributor as they would've if everyone was just buying the game.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
We are at a point where one of the most creative people in the industry has free reign and you want him to make a sequel? The guy who has made more funny, charming, unique and vivid worlds than anybody else? You guys really don't want to see what he can do?

Come on.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Dorepoll posted:

We are at a point where one of the most creative people in the industry has free reign and you want him to make a sequel? The guy who has made more funny, charming, unique and vivid worlds than anybody else? You guys really don't want to see what he can do?

Come on.

Except he's said before he REALLY wants to make Psychonauts 2 but has no budget for it.

Edit: Plus the fact that you have infinite opportunity to make unique worlds inside of Psychonauts 2, which is why it's such a great game concept. With today's technology that can be built on extremely well.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hakkesshu posted:

I'd still rather want something new.

Likewise. A couple of days ago some site interviewed Tim Schafer and he had an interesting comment about why it's detrimental to always look back: if he'd made Full Throttle 2, he probably never would've had the chance to make Grim Fandango.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Jewel posted:

Edit: Plus the fact that you have infinite opportunity to make unique worlds inside of Psychonauts 2, which is why it's such a great game concept. With today's technology that can be built on extremely well.
I'll give you that. While I would prefer a completely new IP from him and his talented team, I agree a Psychonauts sequel wouldn't be a simple retread.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, "Psychonauts 2" pretty much translates to "something on the level of originality and charm and humor of Psychonauts" for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, "Psychonauts 2" pretty much translates to "something on the level of originality and charm and humor of Psychonauts" for me.

Yeah, this is a crazy big opportunity to see Double Fine shine and I want to see 'another Psychonauts' not another Psychonauts.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I think best path to take would be to put a Kickstarter for "Obsidian RPG" and that's it. Just whatever they come up with. I want to believe :allears:
Doesn't even need to be an RPG, just a thing where you have the story and dialogue and make decisions. Obsidian Visual Novel!

E: In keeping with this thread, Obsidian Adventure Game would work too. Can even include the old fashioned "Oh you missed an item 2 hours ago?" thing, except it doesn't get you stuck, it just gets you a different story branch.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 11, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like for him to remake it so I can actually loving play it. Short of watching a Let's Play there's no way for me to access the game in any form as it currently exists. Since it's considered to be one of the best games in one of my favorite genres with a premise that I really enjoy, actually having a version that can run on something made after 2001 is a fairly reasonable wish.

E: Psychonauts also has some weird bugs when played on modern PCs, while I'm at it.

That's funny, I got it running just fine on a brand new laptop last week using this link.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

BiggerJ posted:

Old post, but his friend Paul Trowe's casual game company managed to buy the rights to Leisure Suit Larry, and he and Al are working on a LSL7-style remake of LSL1, aimed for release later this year. If it sells, they'll remake the rest and continue the series. They're already selling the VGA version in Intel's app-store-for-PCs. GIVE THEM YOUR GODDAMN MONEY.

There's an Intel App Store? That's probably why I've never heard of this.

What is the store like? Intrusive in any way or about on par with any other service? Cause if it checks out I will be buying myself and possibly a whole lot of people a new old game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Okay I have an idea for the adventure game. You are a researcher on a lunar base in the year 2025 and you are trying to fast track the evolution of all monkey species into sentients that are just as clever as humans. Things naturally go wrong and monkeys from another universe infiltrate the base from a wormhole into another galaxy and shenanigans begin when they start doing experiments on the human subjects.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Can't wait to see what Tim Schafer will be able to cook up with all that money. Can't say I've played a lot of adventure games outside of the Sam & Max series.

Let me tell you about my new Kickstarter project Crimson Haze...

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, this is a crazy big opportunity to see Double Fine shine and I want to see 'another Psychonauts' not another Psychonauts.

Exactly, Exactly, Exactly, EXACTLY

Tim Schafer is more than able to create whatever good premise he wants to create, and make a good new game out of it, there might never be another chance for Tim Schafer to make a great game like this, let's not have a sequel or a remake to a previous game he made, let's have something new. Imagine if Tim Schafer decided to make Monkey Island 3, 4 and 5, we would never have Day of Tentacle, we would never have Grim loving Fandango, we would never have Psychonauts.

The same applies here, give him a chance to make a new game, godamnit :gonk:

I'm constantly repeating this because I am really afraid he'll just go "Oh, ok, people seem to really want a Psychonauts 2, huh? Well, ok, let's give them that"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SGRaaize posted:

I am really afraid he'll just go "Oh, ok, people seem to really want a Psychonauts 2, huh? Well, ok, let's give them that"

But he will make a Psychonauts 2, just not with this kickstarter. If the deal with Notch goes through there will be a sequel to Psychonauts. This kickstarter is to finance a new property in the adventure genre. Nothing to be worried about. There's enough Schafer to make everyone happy.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He could just do a second Kickstarter project specifically for Psychonauts 2 in 6 or 12 months time after this is done anyways.

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011
DONT YOU DARE TELL ME HOW THE FUCK TO HAVE FUN IN VIDEOGAMES!!! OR TO READ THE FUCKING OP!!!!

Saoshyant posted:

But he will make a Psychonauts 2, just not with this kickstarter. If the deal with Notch goes through there will be a sequel to Psychonauts. This kickstarter is to finance a new property in the adventure genre. Nothing to be worried about. There's enough Schafer to make everyone happy.

Man, that sucks :negative:

I suppose at least this way there will be something new and then Psychonauts 2.

Still a shame people constantly get mad about rehashes, but then ask Tim godamn Schafer to make a sequel to the game when he could make a thousand and one games, all with different concepts, and all loving awesome :sigh:

Edit: I'm not saying Psychonauts 2 is gonna be bad, I'm sure its gonna be loving awesome.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
lmao if you think a kickstarter could get enough money for psychonauts 2

e: nobody is actually thinking to themselves 'tim schafer has tons of money now! I hope he specifically makes a sequel." people are clamoring for ~tim schafer games~, and what they cling to are games he's already done that they know the setting/plot/etc of, rather than a hypothetical game they know nothing about and can't really be a conversation point at all.

fronz fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 11, 2012

SGRaaize
Jan 19, 2011

Francois Kofko posted:

e: nobody is actually thinking to themselves 'tim schafer has tons of money now! I hope he specifically makes a sequel." people are clamoring for ~tim schafer games~, and what they cling to are games he's already done that they know the setting/plot/etc of, rather than a hypothetical game they know nothing about and can't really be a conversation point at all.

Yeah, but I think there were a few posters that were legitimately and specifically wishing for Psychonauts 2/Grim Fandango 2. Maybe I misread them, though.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

Francois Kofko posted:

lmao if you think a kickstarter could get enough money for psychonauts 2

I don't think a kickstarter could get enough money to fund all of psychonauts 2, but it could possibly bring in enough money to partially fund it I think.

hellocruelworld fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 11, 2012

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Even if Schafer were to make a hypothetical Psychonauts 2, who is to say that it's going to be a rehash? As long as we keep the basics as "Psychics who can enter minds and fix mental/emotional problems," can't any psychic person fit the bill? There are so many concepts to explore that even if this sequel is going to happen that I doubt it would feel stale.

If people want more Raz and more psychic summer camp, then that's going to get dull rather quickly if you ask me. Unless it's done extremely well, that is. :shobon:

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does Notch really have that much money? I thought he had like a couple million.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Day of the Tentacle was a sequel to Maniac Mansion, so yeah, I wouldn't mind another Tim Schafer sequel.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 11, 2012

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

According to the minecraft site, he's nearly sold 5million copies of minecraft, and the counters still ticking fairly steadily. I think minecraft was originally like $10, and that's gone up to $30 now that is been "officially" released. So he has made a fair amount of money off of minecraft.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Proto_Fan posted:

Even if Schafer were to make a hypothetical Psychonauts 2, who is to say that it's going to be a rehash? As long as we keep the basics as "Psychics who can enter minds and fix mental/emotional problems," can't any psychic person fit the bill? There are so many concepts to explore that even if this sequel is going to happen that I doubt it would feel stale.

If people want more Raz and more psychic summer camp, then that's going to get dull rather quickly if you ask me. Unless it's done extremely well, that is. :shobon:

Who said anything about the summer camp? The end of Psychonauts is RIPE for a sequel, RIPE I say. Not like I wouldn't enjoy a new IP, but Psychonauts 2 is something I've always wanted to play. I'm sorry if this means I'm wasting creativity or whatever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I think conservative estimates put total sales at somewhere between $20 and $50 million USD. But swedish taxes are sort of insane (close to 60%, I think), so gross profits are something like $10-25 million. So you might better understand why people were dissapointed that minecraft's development sort of ground to a halt by May 2011. It also sets him up for an excellent position to fund/publish nearly an unlimited number of $150,000 indie games plus a couple of bigger titles.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Mutation posted:

Day of the Tentacle was a sequel to Maniac Mansion, so yeah, I wouldn't mind another Tim Schafer sequel.

And Monkey Island 2 was amazing.

I want something new too, which is what this Kickstarter is. But I still want a Psychonauts sequel :colbert:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

SGRaaize posted:

Man, that sucks :negative:

I suppose at least this way there will be something new and then Psychonauts 2.

Still a shame people constantly get mad about rehashes, but then ask Tim godamn Schafer to make a sequel to the game when he could make a thousand and one games, all with different concepts, and all loving awesome :sigh:

Edit: I'm not saying Psychonauts 2 is gonna be bad, I'm sure its gonna be loving awesome.

I'd agree except PSYCHONAUTS loving ENDED ON A CLIFFHANGER.

Also, while the idea was sound for Psychonauts, it wasn't really fleshed out as well as it could have been, which a second try could give it another chance at.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like for him to remake it so I can actually loving play it. Short of watching a Let's Play there's no way for me to access the game in any form as it currently exists. Since it's considered to be one of the best games in one of my favorite genres with a premise that I really enjoy, actually having a version that can run on something made after 2001 is a fairly reasonable wish.

E: Psychonauts also has some weird bugs when played on modern PCs, while I'm at it.

Psychonauts is available on Steam and works perfectly fine on modern PC's, and you can get the Grim Fandango Launcher... RIGHT HERE!

Mileage may vary and all that, but there's no reason that Grim Fandango wouldn't work on your PC provided you have the original install CD's, follow the instructions on that page and launch the game with that launcher. It works just fine for me, with Windows 7 64-bit.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Grim Fandango ported to a point-and-click engine with mildly upgraded higher resolution visuals based off of the original art assets. Yeaaaaah

Seriously, though, all the tech talking heads keep babbling about mobile games and tablet iPad whatevers. Basically the best kind of game for a mobile touch device is point and click adventure games. It's a genre with limited time pressure where input speed / input quality doesn't matter. All they need is a quicksave system and, for more casual non-continuous players, maybe a little "last time you played..." auto-summary system to give little recap reminders of where you were and what you were in the middle of doing last time you played.

It's also a genre where basically all you need is a few good writers and artists and maybe a composer. There are basically no technical challenges left in the classic form most people are happy with. It's pure storytelling and profit. It's a good way to keep talented writers, designers, and artists happy by letting them take a break from massive AAA efforts and letting them explore and create something new.

The fact that Lucasarts is not porting every SCUMM game to android and iOS is foolishness of the highest caliber. The costs of production were paid off literally decades ago! It's pure profit! Just license SCUMMVM or something, god.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 11, 2012

trw
Dec 24, 2003

Hadlock posted:

But swedish taxes are sort of insane (close to 60%, I think), so gross profits are something like $10-25 million.

It's not... I would guess 35-40% but I don't have the tax codes in my head. He have to pay employment fees for his wages but the company income should be taxed about 30%.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Hadlock posted:

I think conservative estimates put total sales at somewhere between $20 and $50 million USD. But swedish taxes are sort of insane (close to 60%, I think), so gross profits are something like $10-25 million. So you might better understand why people were dissapointed that minecraft's development sort of ground to a halt by May 2011. It also sets him up for an excellent position to fund/publish nearly an unlimited number of $150,000 indie games plus a couple of bigger titles.

Notch likely got a huge chunk of change when Microsoft bought the rights to a Minecraft console port and will likely see a fair amount of royalties from that.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Tewratomeh posted:

Psychonauts is available on Steam and works perfectly fine on modern PC's, and you can get the Grim Fandango Launcher... RIGHT HERE!

Mileage may vary and all that, but there's no reason that Grim Fandango wouldn't work on your PC provided you have the original install CD's, follow the instructions on that page and launch the game with that launcher. It works just fine for me, with Windows 7 64-bit.

Yeah, Grim Fandango works just fine on modern computers, and why would you even need Tim Schafer involved to do an HD update anyway? Just outsource it to some competent programmers. There's no reason he should ever be wasting his time doing slightly updated versions of games he did over ten years ago.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Mr_Ham97 posted:

I'm just saying at some point we need original stuff of this quality in a video game because that would be the poo poo.

I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but music of that quality is already in video games!. (One of my favourite TIM tracks)

Also, I found the Crysis 2 theme (By Zimmer, no less) to be impossibly catchy. There's good poo poo in there, sometimes it's too obscured by explosions and poo poo though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4iQvJo24U
The thing I liked from this, in an on topic note, is that like Monkey Island, the track has many little backing melodies that are used as leitmotifs during the game. Lechuck's theme comes to mind.

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 11, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If I'm going to play Maniac Mansion and DotT for the first time, should I go for the original MM or the remake 'Deluxe' version?

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

hellocruelworld posted:

I don't think a kickstarter could get enough money fro psychonauts 2, but it could possibly bring in enough money to partially fund it I think.

They should just freaking take Notch's money anyway. I mean come on... I can't think of a possibility to get the funding with less strings attached. If Double Fine passes on that it's a straight up pride thing and kind of silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

ArfJason posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but music of that quality is already in video games!. (One of my favourite TIM tracks)

Also, I found the Crysis 2 theme (By Zimmer, no less) to be impossibly catchy. There's good poo poo in there, sometimes it's too obscured by explosions and poo poo though.

I know, I own and love TIM Even More Contraptions. That's why I said "original", quite a few games already have classical music in them.

Evidently music for video games is becoming quite a hot topic among music doctors. My theory professor says that her friends are kinda going crazy writing dissertations and poo poo. Hopefully this means good things for its quality in the future.

• Locked thread