Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiky Ooze posted:

They should just freaking take Notch's money anyway. I mean come on... I can't think of a possibility to get the funding with less strings attached. If Double Fine passes on that it's a straight up pride thing and kind of silly.

Where did Notch say "Yes I will give you $20m"?

That's not something you negotiate over twitter, and I don't think DF is going to turn down funding a project on 'pride,' especially one they've stated they're interested in doing.

Where are you getting this fantastic idea that Notch has the liquid cash available to fund the project and DoubleFine has refused it out of some sort of pride?

How do you suppose it's possible for a company to turn down money 'out of pride' when the business model is asking people for money to make your thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Rookersh posted:

I'd agree except PSYCHONAUTS loving ENDED ON A CLIFFHANGER.

Also, while the idea was sound for Psychonauts, it wasn't really fleshed out as well as it could have been, which a second try could give it another chance at.

What? No it did not. The story wrapped up nicely. Sure there's room for more adventures, but it's not like any of the conflicts were unresolved.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Not to mention that Notch might have money, but that doesn't mean he's capable of establishing a production line for disks and packaging, working with venues for advertising, getting shelf space at retailers, coordinating shipping of the actual disks or all the other hundreds of things that're required to publish a full disk game.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Fintilgin posted:

If I'm going to play Maniac Mansion and DotT for the first time, should I go for the original MM or the remake 'Deluxe' version?

Skip Maniac Mansion, it's not very good and you don't need to play it to get DotT.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Sigma-X posted:

Is there some secret here I'm missing?

Yes, games take no money to create (most of a $25M budget goes to satellite offices in Shanghai) and make infinite money.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

maxnmona posted:

Skip Maniac Mansion, it's not very good and you don't need to play it to get DotT.

And you can play it within DotT if you're curious. I think at least the game is worth playing once out of curiosity, but maybe not trying to beat etc.

I'm guessing either way, the versions don't have one of the few things I remember about the game. The copy-protection that can lead to a bad, but funny ending (and if I think you use the wrong action, it won't even prompt you to try to put in the right code; Thanks, Bernard.)

That and Hamster Microwave

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

The Monarch posted:

Not to mention that Notch might have money, but that doesn't mean he's capable of establishing a production line for disks and packaging, working with venues for advertising, getting shelf space at retailers, coordinating shipping of the actual disks or all the other hundreds of things that're required to publish a full disk game.

Do you mean upload it to Steam?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

I think it's worth noting that Notch isn't the only one who would be providing DoubleFine with cash for Psychonauts 2. The guy who runs Dracogen, the investment company that provided the cash for the Psychonauts mac port and the PC Ports of Stacking and Costume Quest was involved too. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was him who suggested that they take the conversation off twitter.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ARTS and Warcrafts posted:

I agree, it's best to limit the potential market for a multimillion dollar game to a single digital distribution service

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
+ XBLA + Direct2Drive etc

There's no reason to have to press discs and spend money on packaging and shipping.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

You're not gonna make back a ~20 million dollar budget by releasing your game on one platform.

+ XBLA + Direct2Drive etc

There's no reason to have to press discs and spend money on packaging and shipping.

The most you can charge on XBLA is $15, which means the most they could sell the game for anywhere is $15. If Schafer's ambition for a Psychonauts 2 is a full, AAA game then they'll have to put out on a disk, especially since it's a platformer which could feasibly be rated E.

Yea the idea of a fully Notch-funded Psychonauts two just seems like wishful thinking to me, unless they go into some crazy co-publishing deal where Notch pays the bills and another company takes care of the logistics.

The Monarch fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 11, 2012

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Plus, Notch doesn't really have any business savvy at all. He managed to luck his way into making a game that made him a ton of money but he's consistently shown bad programming and business decisions and with Scrolls looking awful he probably doesn't have much of a long-term future in the gaming biz. I can understand why Schafer might not want to stake his company and his IP on someone who might not even be around in a year or two and thinks that Twitter is a valid way of arranging multi-million dollar business deals.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Farbtoner posted:

Plus, Notch doesn't really have any business savvy at all. He managed to luck his way into making a game that made him a ton of money but he's consistently shown bad programming and business decisions and with Scrolls looking awful he probably doesn't have much of a long-term future in the gaming biz. I can understand why Schafer might not want to stake his company and his IP on someone who might not even be around in a year or two and thinks that Twitter is a valid way of arranging multi-million dollar business deals.

This would hold more water if Schaefer hadn't made a business deal on twitter in the past.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Farbtoner posted:

I dunno I'm watching that minecraft counter and it just keeps going up...and up....and up....

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Farbtoner posted:

I can understand why Schafer might not want to stake his company and his IP on someone who might not even be around in a year or two and thinks that Twitter is a valid way of arranging multi-million dollar business deals.

Notch's longevity notwithstanding, and as terrible as it is to say; I actually think the communication paradigm might have changed enough for a tweet to be enough to at the very least kick off actual business deals these days, especially when you consider the type of person behind each end of this tweet.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Farbtoner posted:

and with Scrolls looking awful he probably doesn't have much of a long-term future in the gaming biz.

I found exactly 1 screenshot of scrolls...is that what you are basing your opinion on scrolls and the downfall of notch on? The game isn't even out of alpha yet. He's 1 for 1 on successful games and made 20-50 million...

the black husserl posted:

I dunno I'm watching that minecraft counter and it just keeps going up...and up....and up....

No way man Notch is totally on his way out :rolleyes:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Monarch posted:

You're not gonna make back a ~20 million dollar budget by releasing your game on one platform.

Does any platform nowadays not have a digital distribution method of some sort?

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

katkillad2 posted:

I found exactly 1 screenshot of scrolls...is that what you are basing your opinion on scrolls and the downfall of notch on? The game isn't even out of alpha yet.

It's a computer CCG in the year of Our Lord 2012 written by the windbag from Penny Arcade (I think the fat one?).

It is going to do terribly.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Bohemian Nights posted:

Notch's longevity notwithstanding, and as terrible as it is to say; I actually think the communication paradigm might have changed enough for a tweet to be enough to at the very least kick off actual business deals these days, especially when you consider the type of person behind each end of this tweet.

Why not twitter DMs or email? Who the gently caress does their business deals over a public medium unless they are looking for publicity?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can point to Notch's sales numbers, but that's for a single product over four years. Minecraft is simply a runaway success. Scrolls is going to get crushed under the weight of expectations after Minecraft and end up in the same category as Dakitana or DNF. In four years iD Software had released Quake 1 (1996), Quake 2 (1997) and Quake 3 (1999).

I see the sales numbers, but in four years they can point to (very) few indicators of progress. Who knows? Maybe they will pull a Valve and monetize one or two community mods (Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike) while they incubate a sequel six years later. I don't see that happening. Notch has a rocky history working as a grinder coder for other software companies; Gaben was a project manager at Microsoft for years before tackling video games.

Kudos for Carl Manneh for securing exclusive deals with both Microsoft and Sony for minecraft and outsourcing development on those platforms, but he's either got to be tearing his hair out trying to get Notch to invest using their warchest or develop multiple games concurrently, or is actively shopping his resume at other companies.

If Mojang manages to release Scrolls in 2012, they're worth another look but I just don't see the leadership in Notch.

Farbtoner posted:

Plus, Notch doesn't really have any business savvy at all. He managed to luck his way into making a game that made him a ton of money but he's consistently shown bad programming and business decisions and with Scrolls looking awful he probably doesn't have much of a long-term future in the gaming biz.

Thank you for writing this, I've been trying to say this for about 2 years now and this is the most concise opinion I've read so far on the topic.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

DemonNick posted:

This would hold more water if Schaefer hadn't made a business deal on twitter in the past.

Also there's nothing wrong with it. They probably got half their hype (if not all) for this because of the social media appearances. (Jimmy Fallon even tweeted about the kickstarter.)

What is there to gain in acting all reserved and tied up by legal things, if you want to do something grassroots like this? That would just be off-putting to your target audience.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 11, 2012

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Just pledged $30. I figure the game will release somewhere between $20-40 and $30 for a Tim Schafer game plus some awesome extras is worth it. It won't charge me until March right?

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

It's a computer CCG in the year of Our Lord 2012 written by the windbag from Penny Arcade (I think the fat one?).

It is going to do terribly.

Also they expect you to pay real money to buy virtual cards in the game :yum:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

ArfJason posted:

I know this isn't exactly what you meant, but music of that quality is already in video games!. (One of my favourite TIM tracks)

Also, I found the Crysis 2 theme (By Zimmer, no less) to be impossibly catchy. There's good poo poo in there, sometimes it's too obscured by explosions and poo poo though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy4iQvJo24U
The thing I liked from this, in an on topic note, is that like Monkey Island, the track has many little backing melodies that are used as leitmotifs during the game. Lechuck's theme comes to mind.

Why didn't I know this? Crysis 2's game was loving made by the music, imo. That was the reason why it was so amazing. :allears: You're making this really hard for me to not give even more money to these guys.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

emoticon posted:

Why not twitter DMs or email? Who the gently caress does their business deals over a public medium unless they are looking for publicity?

It started on Twitter then went to email with Double Fine's business manager. Giantbomb has an article about the last time they started a business deal over Twitter. They aren't working out contracts publicly, it's just "Hey wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?"/"Yeah that would be awesome. Let's talk about that more through proper channels".

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

1.6 million(basically), holy poo poo.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

Farbtoner posted:

This is nothing new.Sanctum was doing this back in 1998.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctum_(game)

I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out I played a hell of a lot of Sanctum.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The Monarch posted:

The most you can charge on XBLA is $15, which means the most they could sell the game for anywhere is $15. If Schafer's ambition for a Psychonauts 2 is a full, AAA game then they'll have to put out on a disk, especially since it's a platformer which could feasibly be rated E.

Yea the idea of a fully Notch-funded Psychonauts two just seems like wishful thinking to me, unless they go into some crazy co-publishing deal where Notch pays the bills and another company takes care of the logistics.

Aren't there products available that cost more than 15 bucks? I mean, I know most digital download versions of games on the 360 are either xbox 1 or really early 360 games, but aren't those listed for more at times? Or is there a different set of rules for those?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

The Monarch posted:

Well, EA have a partners program, which works well for Valve....

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

evilmiera posted:

Aren't there products available that cost more than 15 bucks? I mean, I know most digital download versions of games on the 360 are either xbox 1 or really early 360 games, but aren't those listed for more at times? Or is there a different set of rules for those?

Arcade is a different section I think. Certainly on the PS3 there are loads of download titles that are full price, I don't see any reason it couldn't be released as one of these.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah I don't get the fear of failure due to logistics. Plenty of companies produce a game and have a third party publish it. If you get your game on Steam its a ton of sales right there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

At worst they could do EA Partners which AFAIK doesn't require any upfront money or any signing over of IP or any rights at all. There's been plenty of other publisher deals where all they do is distribute, not fund.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Red Dragon posted:

Well, EA have a partners program, which works well for Valve....

Yeah but nobody else is Valve. Crysis 2 for instance got locked to Origin as a platform and they were EA partners. EA has a terrible, one of the worst, in fact, track records of respecting the gaming community or developers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Spiky Ooze posted:

Yeah but nobody else is Valve. Crysis 2 for instance got locked to Origin as a platform and they were EA partners. EA has a terrible, one of the worst, in fact, track records of respecting the gaming community or developers.

It's up to the developer, really. Some EA Partners games get away with having very little to no EA inside the product, some get chock full of it.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Spiky Ooze posted:

Ironic when you consider that EA handled the console release of The Orange Box.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Farbtoner posted:

Ironic when you consider that EA handled the console release of The Orange Box.

To be more specific, they ported the PS3 version. Ya know, the worst version.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Farbtoner posted:

Yes, because the digital Magic the Gathering games haven't been successfully making money out of this exact business model. :v:

It's mind-blowing how much backlash there's been against Notch over the release fiasco. The whole thing reminds me of the Skyrim thread months before release, where everyone was convinced that it was going to somehow be as bad, if not worse than Oblivion.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
What goal do we have to hit to make Brutal Legend 2 happen?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If its not too offtopic, I know nothing about this whole minecraft and Scolls business but I do love CCG games, can someone please link that screenshot that keeps getting mentioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Rocketlex posted:

What goal do we have to hit to make Brutal Legend 2 happen?

Whoa, whoa, you're getting ahead of yourself. First they need to release the actual third act of the first game. Unless having an entire faction of the game be encompassed in one battle was...intentional? No way, I don't believe it.

• Locked thread