Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I was checking out kmobs' G+, to see if he's so much as mentioned working on the sensation (he hasn't!), and saw a post bitching about Google not releasing source code for some things.

This from the guy who hasn't released a line of code for the device he's the cyanogenmod maintainer of :suicide:

Also, I'm noticing a lot of people complaining about virtuous. Am I the only person who has had zero issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Zweihander01 posted:

I've got a VZW GNex running 4.0.2 stock. Aside from ClockworkMod and the superuser binary, I haven't flashed anything weird to it. Should I use that "Rooted,De-odexed,Zip-aligned ROM With Stock Insecure Boot Image And New Radios & Bootloader"? I don't have to wipe /data for it, right? Just the caches?

Yup, just wipe the cache and dlavik and flash it! It will flash it's own radio and kernel for you. Let me know how it turns out for you-- mine is very responsive. I have one thing that doesn't work and that is my camera flash-- not a deal breaker but still annoying. I don't know how that is not working considering this is just the straight OTA update.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Looks like that Droid 4 exploit came out while I was sleeping. :)

Time to get to work tweaking, I guess!

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

I figured I would install cm9 on my touchpad to see how well it works, and the answer is really quite well. As nice as webos is, I really couldn't stand missing all the apps I wanted from android. I like all the customizing I can do with android as well.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

blackflare posted:

I figured I would install cm9 on my touchpad to see how well it works, and the answer is really quite well. As nice as webos is, I really couldn't stand missing all the apps I wanted from android. I like all the customizing I can do with android as well.

I wholly agree. This is stellar.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sense ICS is just loving awful so I don't bother with those.

I really like Gingerbread Sense, apart from the launcher. Clock/dialer/contacts/lockscreen are all better for me than anything else I've tried, Rosie just annoys me though and I'm very aware that even when using a custom launcher it's still eating resources in the background. Is ICS the same?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Kameleon posted:

I really like Gingerbread Sense, apart from the launcher. Clock/dialer/contacts/lockscreen are all better for me than anything else I've tried, Rosie just annoys me though and I'm very aware that even when using a custom launcher it's still eating resources in the background. Is ICS the same?

Stock AOSP ICS looks much nicer than Sense, GB or ICS, if that's what you're asking.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Kameleon posted:

Good news for you then, as Sense on ICS is exactly the same as it was on Gingerbread with the exception of a new dock in Rosie.

It's a bunch of bad choices right now on the Sensation. Inquisition has a feeling of jankiness that it just can't shake off, ICS Sense feels like 2.3 with hardware acceleration added and the AOSP ROMs are broken.

Kameleon
Jan 11, 2006

gay for johnny deLOL BAT COUNTRY

Yeah, it does look exactly the same pretty much (like Sense always has), whereas ICS looks awesome. To reiterate, I'm not enamoured with the look of the Rosie launcher (or the notification bar/pulldown) it's the functionality of the core apps that I vastly prefer over the alternatives.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Anyone know of a workaround for ICS cm9 for like, youtube? Let me elaborate a bit, im on a touchpad, and because it doesn't work with hardware acceleration its causing some issues for youtube. I open a browser and try to just watch my playlist in there, but it keeps opening a seperate youtube app that comes with cm9 and doesn't appear to be uninstallable or anything. So it opens up that, and inside the app it doesnt have playlist support, and it keeps defaulting to the HD option, which wont run because of the acceleration issue. Is there a way to rip that app out and force it to just play youtube in the browser like it used to in cm7 ? Or is there some other workaround? I tried googling a bit and got some unhelpful results.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Experto Crede posted:

Also, I'm noticing a lot of people complaining about virtuous. Am I the only person who has had zero issues?

I might be able to address this, to an extent.

Around last November, RMK, the actual founder of Virtuous Team stepped down as an actual maintainer of primary code. If I recall correctly, the man is in nursing school and that takes up most of his time. Now, the rest of the team are moderately talented coders, however in my experience RMK was really the shining star. Additionally, he only released code on devices that he personally owned and could runtest on. At this point in time, though some of the roms the team releases have been run on a native device, a majority have not.

Additionally, CJward is the primary "community service admin" and services many devices over many subforums on XDA. One man cannot skim all the threads for bugs, let alone with people not providing logcats. If you have any legitimate bugs that you wish to bring to their attention, you really do need to hop on freenode and talk to the guys yourself.

Lastly, as I touched briefly on before, code based primarily on OTAs from the Virtuous Team is pretty decent. It's been bugtested out the butt and is already pretty darn stable. Their kernel development is also top notch. It's just the ports that are pretty janky. Also: Hardware keyboards take additional code to implement properly. Hence why a rom for the Incredible 2 or Desire HD which is just fine on those devices might be not quite 100% on the DZ/G2.

If you have a 100% Virtuous Team rom, consider yourself very lucky. When they get stuff right, they knock it out of the park.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

blackflare posted:

Anyone know of a workaround for ICS cm9 for like, youtube? Let me elaborate a bit, im on a touchpad, and because it doesn't work with hardware acceleration its causing some issues for youtube. I open a browser and try to just watch my playlist in there, but it keeps opening a seperate youtube app that comes with cm9 and doesn't appear to be uninstallable or anything. So it opens up that, and inside the app it doesnt have playlist support, and it keeps defaulting to the HD option, which wont run because of the acceleration issue. Is there a way to rip that app out and force it to just play youtube in the browser like it used to in cm7 ? Or is there some other workaround? I tried googling a bit and got some unhelpful results.

Go to Settings, go to Apps, find the entry for Youtube. Select it and there should be an option for "Clear defaults." This should make videos stop automatically opening in that crappy, crappy app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

blackflare posted:

Go to /system/app and rename or delete the youtube apk.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

Thanks! edit: still a bit weird functionally, dolphin keeps asking me what I wanna open the next item in my playlist with each time it swaps songs. So I hit dolphin and it opens the next video, repeat. I'm willing to accept this though, it is an alpha build. I guess if this is my biggest complaint with cm9 it's in pretty good shape.

blackflare fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 12, 2012

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any recommended kernels for the GNex (GSM)? I haven't had any specific issues with it, just wondering what is worth a look.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is bluetooth keyboard support really horrendous in Android or has that just been my experience? Both in cm7 and cm9 for the touchpad, it's been a pain in the rear end to get my Apple wireless keyboard paired. Once paired it doesn't actually work without the Bluetooth Easy Connect application from the market, and that pops up a superuser message every few seconds. It also occasionally and randomly just stops working. Android is also dumb about the whole thing - it should know I'm using an external keyboard, and not display the virtual one. Or autocorrect stuff according to whatever the virtual keyboard wants to do. I booted into WebOS, not only did it take ten seconds to pair the keyboard, but it intelligently detected it and stopped showing the virtual keyboard. Am I crazy? This is stupid!

If this is just a cyanogenmod thing then please ignore me and file me under "idiots who read disclaimers about experimental software and still expect tons of polish"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Manky posted:

Is bluetooth keyboard support really horrendous in Android or has that just been my experience? Both in cm7 and cm9 for the touchpad, it's been a pain in the rear end to get my Apple wireless keyboard paired. Once paired it doesn't actually work without the Bluetooth Easy Connect application from the market, and that pops up a superuser message every few seconds. It also occasionally and randomly just stops working. Android is also dumb about the whole thing - it should know I'm using an external keyboard, and not display the virtual one. Or autocorrect stuff according to whatever the virtual keyboard wants to do. I booted into WebOS, not only did it take ten seconds to pair the keyboard, but it intelligently detected it and stopped showing the virtual keyboard. Am I crazy? This is stupid!

If this is just a cyanogenmod thing then please ignore me and file me under "idiots who read disclaimers about experimental software and still expect tons of polish"

Someone seems to be doing it just fine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_--zcmqIyRI

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I've got some really annoying issues with CyanogenMod 7.1 on my Galaxy S2. Every so often, while I'm using some completely arbitrary app, the whole device will just freeze up and completely fail to react to any input. Once I take out the battery to hard reset, the charge level will suddenly have dropped 20% or more in the few seconds that the phone was frozen. Does anyone else have this issue? I'm already downloading the latest nightly in the hope that it'll fix the problem, but I'm still worried that it might be a hardware issue.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I posted this in the Awful app thread:

quote:

My Awful app seems to lose the user info any time the app closes now. I originally had downloaded it with the wrong google account and it worked fine, but I redownloaded it with the correct one a month or so ago and now it has the user info loss problem.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Is it a permissions problem somewhere? It seems to not just be Awful app (Twitter app does it too), so I don't think it's a bug, but that's the main place I care about it.

Got this response from Ferg:

quote:

Are you using a stock ROM? The app will try to persist your login across installs by syncing the cookie, but I think it will fail on a rooted device. Its possible that is somehow goofing things up.

Any thoughts on how I can fix it? I can't really find anything on the Googles, and it's really annoying. It seems to be any app that is tied to my "main" account screws up, but the ones on the "wrong" one do fine. The Awful app (and Twitter) worked and saved info until I redownloaded it on the other account.

Is there something I can do to fix it (or just switch which one saves, because I'd like to move everything to the correct one anyways)?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

subx posted:

I posted this in the Awful app thread:

Got this response from Ferg:

Any thoughts on how I can fix it? I can't really find anything on the Googles, and it's really annoying. It seems to be any app that is tied to my "main" account screws up, but the ones on the "wrong" one do fine. The Awful app (and Twitter) worked and saved info until I redownloaded it on the other account.

Is there something I can do to fix it (or just switch which one saves, because I'd like to move everything to the correct one anyways)?
I'm guessing you've cleared the data in Settings > Apps > Awful?

rearadmiral.rowboat
Apr 11, 2009

And ev'ry last inch of me's covered with HAIR!
What ROMS are people using on their Nexus S? I just flashed Pete Alfonso's Bugless Beast ROM and it seems like it's way better than the current version of CM9...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

What ROMS are people using on their Nexus S? I just flashed Pete Alfonso's Bugless Beast ROM and it seems like it's way better than the current version of CM9...
Stock ICS with a modified stock kernel that just has Voodoo and BLN. Absolutely flawless.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
kmobs apologizing for being kmobs. :v:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/113702637309752822154/posts/A7BipoAdkBU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Damnit, I misread "I want you to know there is not a link at the end of this post that has the magical, mystical CM9." :qq:

And it seems Trip has also been on a bit of a bitch fit over at modaco.

Joy.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Maker Of Shoes posted:

That bought a bit of goodwill from me. But he probably should have made that post a month+ ago, rather than teasing CM9 bits every couple of weeks, then wondering why people were expecting something from him. All he ever did was say he was "almost done, releasing soon" in early December, geez.

Trip is a mess. And he has this Vorbeth guy on his nuts. At least he releases a lot of stuff, as bug-ridden and incomplete as it may be. I'm curious to see what comes out of the Endeavor RUU leak, even if it's just going to be Sense improvements.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

That bought a bit of goodwill from me. But he probably should have made that post a month+ ago, rather than teasing CM9 bits every couple of weeks, then wondering why people were expecting something from him. All he ever did was say he was "almost done, releasing soon" in early December, geez.

Trip is a mess. And he has this Vorbeth guy on his nuts. At least he releases a lot of stuff, as bug-ridden and incomplete as it may be. I'm curious to see what comes out of the Endeavor RUU leak, even if it's just going to be Sense improvements.

Either way, we have a time frame. HTC says official Sensation ICS at the end of March and that should solve the majority of the current hacky poo poo's issues.

I laughed my rear end off at that post though.

"Waaaaaaaaaaa you guys are ruining all my non Android posts." Still, I'll give him some credit for owning up even if it was only a little.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Either way, we have a time frame. HTC says official Sensation ICS at the end of March and that should solve the majority of the current hacky poo poo's issues.

I laughed my rear end off at that post though.

"Waaaaaaaaaaa you guys are ruining all my non Android posts." Still, I'll give him some credit for owning up even if it was only a little.

That's good news, if they're that close for the Sensation, they're probably about that far along with the E3D.

I still think that once I get the Galaxy Nexus I'm going to just stick to Nexus devices as they come to my carrier. Before ICS you could make a valid case for manufacturer UI mods being an improvement over the stock interface, but not now. Perhaps Google will even start using Motorola instead of Samsung hardware in future Nexuses.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Tunga posted:

Any recommended kernels for the GNex (GSM)? I haven't had any specific issues with it, just wondering what is worth a look.

The ROM I'm using came with 3.0.8 by apa28 and it's pretty good. I'm usually at about 60% when I get home and I use my phone a lot. Couple hours of music/podcasts, an hour of browsing, hour of calls, whatsapp gmail tweetdark from 7am to 9pm

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

LastInLine posted:

I'm guessing you've cleared the data in Settings > Apps > Awful?

Yes, and it doesn't help. The only option I know of at this point is a wipe and hope it's fixed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

subx posted:

Yes, and it doesn't help. The only option I know of at this point is a wipe and hope it's fixed.
While a full wipe would probably be a good idea anyway since it's not just Awful, one thing you could try is getting the apps from the "wrong" Market account so they work, backing them up in Titanium Backup, then uninstalling them and reinstalling them from the "right" Market account and then restoring just the app data in Titanium.

If that somehow moves them back to the "wrong" Market account, then try the same thing but detaching them from the Market before backing them up and then manually attaching them to the Market afterwards.

But honestly I'd just wipe.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Does anyone know much about Kindle Fire rooting? Is this even the right thread?

This is my first tablet, and I already have it rooted, but the ROMs out for it look kinda meh, even all the ICS ones with their random broken poo poo. I just want to get the android market, really. Or a fully functional ICS rom.

And since I'm dreaming, a pony would be cool I guess.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Piss. I've got HBOOT 1.5 on my E3D and am dreading the arcane poo poo that comes with thinking about rooting something that's the most recent version of anything.

Due to the differing info I receive from everywhere (the only thing they seem to have in common is that I have to start with HTC's unlocker) if there's anyone in this thread that hasn't already just given up and shelled out the cash to jump ship and buy a GNex who can also maybe pare some of this bullshit down I'd be grateful.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Entire Universe posted:

Piss. I've got HBOOT 1.5 on my E3D and am dreading the arcane poo poo that comes with thinking about rooting something that's the most recent version of anything.

Due to the differing info I receive from everywhere (the only thing they seem to have in common is that I have to start with HTC's unlocker) if there's anyone in this thread that hasn't already just given up and shelled out the cash to jump ship and buy a GNex who can also maybe pare some of this bullshit down I'd be grateful.

I rooted my E3D which came with HBOOT. There's a good thread on XDA that guides you through HTC's unlock process, then getting superuser on it and flashing CWM (or TWRP if that's your thing). What were you looking to figure out, specifically?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tunga posted:

I use Franco's. His FrancoTurtle governor (a mod of the conservative governor) is pretty good at saving battery without sacrificing performance. It doesn't overclock the graphics though, if you're looking for that (apparently one of the main Android developers emailed him and recommended against it). If you buy his app you get the ability to download and auto flash the latest version, which is nice.

Manky posted:

This should make videos stop automatically opening in that crappy, crappy app.
I actually really like the ICS YouTube app but IIRC it doesn't work properly on the Touchpad due to the lack of hardware acceleration.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 15, 2012

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I'm fairly new to Recovery. When you Restore a Nandroid backup, will it restore your Kernel as well? Or do you need to flash the kernel first before restoring.

I'm running CM7 with their own kernel that isn't compatible with the stock ROM. If I wanted to go back to stock by flashing my Nandroid backup, do I need to flash the stock kernel first? or just run the Nandroid restore?

Thanks

Edit: Xperia Arc LT15i is my phone if that matters...

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Boywunda posted:

I'm fairly new to Recovery. When you Restore a Nandroid backup, will it restore your Kernel as well? Or do you need to flash the kernel first before restoring.

I'm running CM7 with their own kernel that isn't compatible with the stock ROM. If I wanted to go back to stock by flashing my Nandroid backup, do I need to flash the stock kernel first? or just run the Nandroid restore?

Thanks
Nandroid is a full backup image so it restores everything completely, including kernel.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Nandroid is a full backup image so it restores everything completely, including kernel.

Hot drat that's good news. Thanks!!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

godzirraRAWR posted:

Does anyone know much about Kindle Fire rooting? Is this even the right thread?

This is my first tablet, and I already have it rooted, but the ROMs out for it look kinda meh, even all the ICS ones with their random broken poo poo. I just want to get the android market, really. Or a fully functional ICS rom.

And since I'm dreaming, a pony would be cool I guess.

Yeah, this is the right place.

Generally speaking, it'll be a while before stable ICS roms appear due to the newness of the hardware. Devs need time to get to learn how it all fits together and any quirks. This is why, as a broad rule, older, popular devices have somewhat better ICS roms than newer ones.

I don't own a fire, but give me a bit and I'll hunt down relevant info/roms for you

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum

Experto Crede posted:

Yeah, this is the right place.

Generally speaking, it'll be a while before stable ICS roms appear due to the newness of the hardware. Devs need time to get to learn how it all fits together and any quirks. This is why, as a broad rule, older, popular devices have somewhat better ICS roms than newer ones.

I don't own a fire, but give me a bit and I'll hunt down relevant info/roms for you

I've gotten gapps and the market installed, and an alternate launcher, so I'm happy for the time being. None of the roms I found on XDA were worth a poo poo, really.

Oddly enough, I found out that the main kindle fire root guy, jcase, is this guy I've known on irc for years. Ace in my pocket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
It appears that HTC is releasing an "early access preview" of its ICS + Sense ROM for the Sensation tomorrow in Europe.

I hope that leads to some more working ICS roms, both Sense and AOSP.