Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, he doesn't want any stock. He wants to be able to sell all the books, which is why he's so careful about getting accurate numbers about how many he needs. If he ends up with any significant amount of left over stock, it means he's either only breaking even or maybe even working at a loss.

But that's not a scenario that's going to happen, apparently. So given the alternatives of what is happening now or the one I outlined, the one I outlined is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0834.html

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

It's still a depressingly short-sighted and old fashioned look on things. If that significant a portion of your consumer base is going to jump to digital if given the chance, loving do it. Digital does not go out of print and has a production cost of 0; he's letting fear of lost profits blind him to the greater profits he could gain. And let's be real, pushing all your chips in and betting on physical books staying viable is a goddamn sucker bet at this point. It's sad that he's making it.

I'm not sure about that at all.

I'll pay for a physical bound book that I can take away from my computer and read in my hands. While I'll read a digital book, I'm certainly not going to pay for it if the same content is available for free to me if I have an internet connection.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

JosephWongKS posted:

A comic with Banjo is always a good comic, even if this one was otherwise slow.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Alchenar posted:

I'm not sure about that at all.

I'll pay for a physical bound book that I can take away from my computer and read in my hands. While I'll read a digital book, I'm certainly not going to pay for it if the same content is available for free to me if I have an internet connection.

It really depends. If I could buy it in CBR format for iPad reading, I would definitely pay for it, though maybe not as much as a bound book.

On the other hand, there's so little cost in digital sales like that, if you've already created the content, that I don't think you need to charge as much to break even.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Ooh, I wonder if there will be a short Durkon and Belkar adventure.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Its pretty clear he just wants to see the books on store shelves more than he wants profit. Nostalgia I guess?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Tinyn posted:

Its pretty clear he just wants to see the books on store shelves more than he wants profit. Nostalgia I guess?

Nostalgia could certainly be a part of it. I know that I place more value on physical books than I do on e-books. It's probably because I'm old and have loved books for years. :shrug:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

JosephWongKS posted:

Is this the return of the Semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Tinyn posted:

A lot of authors think this way, and can you blame them?

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Any strip that gets to utilize Belkars chef expertise is a good strip.

Seriously, In this campiagn that skilled get's utilized disproportionately often.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Pope Guilty posted:

Is this the return of the Semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing?

I wonder what they'll do with the kobold when they find V?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Belkar will want to kill him for shooting Mr. Scruffy (he will either recognise the crossbow bolts, or Mr. Scruffy will just 'rat' him out), Durkon will oppose killing him in cold blood while he's no real threat, and Vaarsuvius will be faced with a moral choice without his familiar to provide counsel.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
poo poo, this could be where Belkar dies.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Mr. Scruffy is fully capable of killing people on his own, and now that the doggy is gone one kobold is a piece of cake.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm not pledging or giving him any money because I don't really want a physical copy of Order of the Stick stuff.

I'd gladly throw some money his way for a digital copy of Start of Darkness, but hey, if he doesn't want my money, whatev.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

wdarkk posted:

poo poo, this could be where Belkar dies.

I think Rich is smart enough not to kill off a main character (Who is supposed to die) without any sort of build up to it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think Belkar will either be killed by the new Linear Guild's kobold (it's the first kobold counterpart so far that hasn't had any physical prowess, making him an actually good mirror to Belkar), or suffer Kraagor's fate via Snarl.

Either way it's due soon.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Never mind, I misread the post I was replying to.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

And here I was hoping we'd get to see what that bit with Jirix was all about. But I guess Rich has to leave some suspense, even if it's unlikely we'll see much if anything from Azure City Gobbotopia from here on out.

As far as Belkar's fate, I'm thinking that he's a valuable enough ally, especially with his current "pretend to be a good teammate" bit that even though they'd hate to have to do it, the Order probably would seriously consider raising him if he died normally. Ergo, I think he's going to get Snarled.

I also suspect that Durkon is too, hence the "going home posthumously" part of the Oracle's Prophecy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Snarl death would wipe out both body and soul, so he wouldn't return home either to Dwarven burial grounds or to Dwarven heaven.

There's also the whole thing with the gates apparently containing a planet instead of a horrible monster, which might mean Snarl deaths aren't actually possible anymore. (Being thrown through a gate should still be lethal, but as Xykon's resurrection showed it doesn't eat your soul or anything, so Belkar/Durkon could still be raised.)

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

NihilCredo posted:

(Being thrown through a gate should still be lethal, but as Xykon's resurrection showed it doesn't eat your soul or anything, so Belkar/Durkon could still be raised.)

Xykon wasn't destroyed by the gate, though. He was destroyed by the protections that Dorukan put on it that allowed only those "pure of heart" to touch/activate it.

quote:

Snarl death would wipe out both body and soul, so he wouldn't return home either to Dwarven burial grounds or to Dwarven heaven

E: And a quick flip through the archives shows Soon holding his wife's body after she's been Snarled, so a body is definitely left behind

MildShow fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 13, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I had forgotten about both of those. Good memory.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

MildShow posted:

Xykon wasn't destroyed by the gate, though. He was destroyed by the protections that Dorukan put on it that allowed only those "pure of heart" to touch/activate it.

Xykon died very specifically from the gate, rather than the snarl; Dorukan's gate was just enchanted to destroy anything non-good aligned that touched it

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Mystery Prize #6 was: "a new regular Order of the Stick comic posted every day until the end of the pledge drive"

Hooray!

Although he "cheated" a little by not updating it for a few days. But whatever.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

terminal mehmet posted:

Mystery Prize #6 was: "a new regular Order of the Stick comic posted every day until the end of the pledge drive"

Hooray!

Seven more comics coming our way.

Man, Rich must be on cloud nine. I'm really happy for him, and absolute nuts at the prospect of a run of updates.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

terminal mehmet posted:

Hooray!

Eh, he kept to his usual schedule of one post a week. We just got spoiled by the rush of comics during the Redcloak Slaughters Everyone arc. Granted, if he's smart he's got a pile of strips saved up so he can burn them on extravagant rewards like this one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CapnAndy posted:

It's still a depressingly short-sighted and old fashioned look on things. If that significant a portion of your consumer base is going to jump to digital if given the chance, loving do it. Digital does not go out of print and has a production cost of 0; he's letting fear of lost profits blind him to the greater profits he could gain. And let's be real, pushing all your chips in and betting on physical books staying viable is a goddamn sucker bet at this point. It's sad that he's making it.

Here's the thing, Order of the Stick is already distributed digitally

The books are, essentially, for fans of the comic who want a physical copy. In this case, there's no real reason for there to be a PDF of the book.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr Pepper posted:

Here's the thing, Order of the Stick is already distributed digitally

The books are, essentially, for fans of the comic who want a physical copy. In this case, there's no real reason for there to be a PDF of the book.
The prequel books don't exist online, and the online compilation books have content that isn't online. And even if neither of those were true, I'd be willing to pay for the sheer convenience factor of having a pdf or cbr or ebook format that I don't need to be online to read and isn't dependent on the whims of a server that's been unreliable in the past.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Can't you throw all the image files in a zip and a CBR reader will read it just fine?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Danzou posted:

Can't you throw all the image files in a zip and a CBR reader will read it just fine?

Yeah. It wouldn't take someone with a bit of scripting knowledge too long to whip up someone to download everything to date and stick it in a CBR.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If anyone is thinking of doing that, spare Rich's servers the stress and let me know - I already have all the comics saved on my hard drive, so I can just pack them in a .cbr and upload them for you instead.

Also, Rich scrambles the file names to make life slightly more difficult for web crawlers, so while working around that wouldn't be a big challenge by any means it could still easily be annoying.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

NihilCredo posted:

Also, Rich scrambles the file names to make life slightly more difficult for web crawlers, so while working around that wouldn't be a big challenge by any means it could still easily be annoying.
10 seconds of looking at the source shows that it's the only image file being loaded from its directory. You'd have to write a script to get the files rather than just wget or something, but we're talking one regex and you're done.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Well, what I actually did was c/p the archives page list into a .csv and then tell a bulk renamer to reference that to rename all files in the folder, sorted by creation date.

Still, as I said, I'll just upload a .cbr if someone here wants to read OotS on the crapper. No need to go crawl the same site more than once.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

NihilCredo posted:

Well, what I actually did was c/p the archives page list into a .csv and then tell a bulk renamer to reference that to rename all files in the folder, sorted by creation date.

Still, as I said, I'll just upload a .cbr if someone here wants to read OotS on the crapper. No need to go crawl the same site more than once.

I would appreciate this, myself.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Casao posted:

I would appreciate this, myself.
I would as well

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

enigma105 posted:

I would as well

3rded? 4thed? 6thed?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

There you go, titles and all: http://www.mediafire.com/?2l9k9ihb9irlypd

(I'm pretty drat sure this is perfectly legal, given that it's nothing but right-click-save from the free website which doesn't even use ads, but on the off-chance I'm mistaken let me know and I'll take it down as soon as I wake up tomorrow.)

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 14, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Tinyn posted:

Has nothing to do with nostalgia, books on shelves are like free advertising for your work. How many series have you picked up because you were browsing the shelves for something to read and picked up a book 1 just to see what it's about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

NihilCredo posted:

There you go, titles and all: http://www.mediafire.com/?2l9k9ihb9irlypd

(I'm pretty drat sure this is perfectly legal, given that it's nothing but right-click-save from the free website which doesn't even use ads, but on the off-chance I'm mistaken let me know and I'll take it down as soon as I wake up tomorrow.)

Technically its not (without permission, or something like Rich declaring the comics are CC or something ) but whether anyone cares is different.