Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

DiminishedAngel posted:

gently caress Flash, Green Lantern first.

The Green Lantern already had a terrible movie tie in. Give it time to heal.

They already made a Flash game, in Arkham City when you get a combo high enough Batman channels the speed force and fucks everyone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I actually read that for a movie tie-in, the Green Lantern game was pretty good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The average quality has gone up on movie tie-in games, but most of them still aren't very good.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Aphrodite posted:

I actually read that for a movie tie-in, the Green Lantern game was pretty good.

It was alright, better than Thor but not as good as Wolverine
Has coop too, easy for kids to control although they might resent having to be "the pink one".

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Arthur Bowlsworth posted:

It was alright, better than Thor but not as good as Wolverine
Has coop too, easy for kids to control although they might resent having to be "the pink one".
Have there been any other movie tie-ins as good as Wolverine?

It's right up there with the quality of original games. It's certainly better than the weak original IP shooters that Raven went on to release after, which is in and of itself especially remarkable.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is probably one of the best...

...Mainly because they went "gently caress that" to actually making a movie adaptation and made their own thing with the Riddick franchise in time for the movie.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The Warriors is the best movie tie-in ever

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

(Peter Jackson's) King Kong (The Official Game of The Movie) is a legit amazing game and one of my all-time favorite FPSs. If only it was on PS3 :argh:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Shalinor posted:

Batman Returns.

For the SNES. Like, 20 years ago.

Yeah, that's all I have. :eng99:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shalinor posted:

It's right up there with the quality of original games. It's certainly better than the weak original IP shooters that Raven went on to release after, which is in and of itself especially remarkable.
Spider-Man 2 is still pretty much the best Spider-Man game, and all around good open-world game.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World, although not a full retail title. The Super Star Wars games on SNES. I dunno how far back are we going.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 14, 2012

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Despite it's flaws, the Blade Runner game is pretty amazing.

Also, y'know, Goldeneye.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Maybe it's Fantavision 2!

Oh man, I dumped an embarrassing amount of time into that game back in the day, but I must have been too high to remember blocked it out for some reason. The PS2 was a titan of a console.

What I'm saying is I want to play FantaVision 2.

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010

Harlock posted:

Spider-Man 2 is still pretty much the best Spider-Man game

I loved Spider-Man 2, but why do the two PS1 spider-man games never get any love? :( I always enjoyed those even more than Spidey 2. Granted, I imagine going back and playing them now I'd notice all these control flaws that I never had an issue with back then as standards have changed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

X_ThePerfect posted:

I loved Spider-Man 2, but why do the two PS1 spider-man games never get any love? :( I always enjoyed those even more than Spidey 2. Granted, I imagine going back and playing them now I'd notice all these control flaws that I never had an issue with back then as standards have changed.
I enjoyed them very much when I played them as a kid. Just very different.

Edit: Binary Domain and Mass Effect 3 demo tomorrow. Play 'em both y'all.

Harlock fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 14, 2012

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Policenaut posted:

The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay is probably one of the best...

...Mainly because they went "gently caress that" to actually making a movie adaptation and made their own thing with the Riddick franchise in time for the movie.

Riddick is always the first game to come to mind when I think of quality licensed games based on movies. Looking up Starbeeze's Wikipedia page and having enjoyed the Syndicate demo, I'm surprised I didn't make that connection beforehand.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Harlock posted:

I enjoyed them very much when I played them as a kid. Just very different.

Edit: Binary Domain and Mass Effect 3 demo tomorrow. Play 'em both y'all.

Played a bit of the BD Japanese demo, couldn't get very far due to the language barrier so I'm glad I'll be able to give it a shot, but stuff like the ability to pick which squadmates you roll with, and even being able to have conversations that affect your morale with them is one of those touches that I just love; your squad actually likes or dislikes you more depending on how you are toward them. Nothing new, to be sure, but I just dig that it manages to make your team feel a little more like actual characters and not just AI robots that you have to babysit.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I'm doing my civic duty as a new PS3 owner and playing through the Uncharted series. I finished the first one last week and I thought it was Pretty Good, although the gun fights got a bit tedious and the climbing could be frustrating at times, and then there there was that weird twist in the last few chapters. I decided to start 2 right away because I heard it was a big improvement.

:stare: I'm about 15 chapters in and it makes the first game look like a crappy tech demo. I'm just completely blown away by the scale and setpieces in this game. Every time you think you've seen the coolest thing, there's something even more incredible around the corner. Not to mention they found a way to make the combat more fun than hiding behind random pillars in the jungle. As someone who is new to the world of HD gaming I am pretty loving blown away by this game. I hope Uncharted 3 keeps it up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Although it's really not PS3 related until the end of this year; i've been playing Final Fantasy XIV since Saturday night and the game is really good now. The team at Square-Enix that works on this title, have really gone above and beyond making it into an MMORPG worth playing. Patch 2.0 comes out near the end of 2012, and marks the release of the PS3 version, and i'm strongly recommending everyone check it out once it does. This has gone from a joke of a game, to a really solid and pretty fun MMO. All it took was Square-Enix firing most of the original staff, and bringing on new people who know what they were doing.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

robot roll call posted:

I hope Uncharted 3 keeps it up.
UC3 isn't as vast of an improvement over UC2, as UC2 is over UC1. It's basically "here's more UC2," which honestly, is awesome and I loved every second of it.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Crows Turn Off posted:

UC3 isn't as vast of an improvement over UC2, as UC2 is over UC1. It's basically "here's more UC2," which honestly, is awesome and I loved every second of it.

That's fine with me. I don't know if I could think of a ton of ways to improve UC2.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Although it's really not PS3 related until the end of this year; i've been playing Final Fantasy XIV since Saturday night and the game is really good now. The team at Square-Enix that works on this title, have really gone above and beyond making it into an MMORPG worth playing. Patch 2.0 comes out near the end of 2012, and marks the release of the PS3 version, and i'm strongly recommending everyone check it out once it does. This has gone from a joke of a game, to a really solid and pretty fun MMO. All it took was Square-Enix firing most of the original staff, and bringing on new people who know what they were doing.

The PC download version on Amazon is getting marked down to $10 tomorrow for valentine's day. If it comes with the usual trial for purchasing the game itself I think I'll give it a spin at that price.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

iastudent posted:

The PC download version on Amazon is getting marked down to $10 tomorrow for valentine's day. If it comes with the usual trial for purchasing the game itself I think I'll give it a spin at that price.

Yep, you get a month free. Does that apply to the PC download version? Because god damnit, I paid $20 on Saturday.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm worried about the ME3 demo, if it turns out to be a highly scripted corridor shooter I'm going to be unhappy, not because I think the whole game will be that (I assume not, right?) but because it would be another indication, like the last trailer I saw, that that's what they think ME fans WANT from the series. I guess the other possibility is that they are right...

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ME1 and 2 were already pretty heavily scripted I felt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm worried about the ME3 demo, if it turns out to be a highly scripted corridor shooter I'm going to be unhappy, not because I think the whole game will be that (I assume not, right?) but because it would be another indication, like the last trailer I saw, that that's what they think ME fans WANT from the series. I guess the other possibility is that they are right...
It's going to probably be more shootery and accessible like ME2 was. Only with more perks and powers. It's not going to take a step back towards RPG conventions like in the first one (which were shaky at best).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

ME1 and 2 were already pretty heavily scripted I felt.
I agree but I doubt that was what people liked about the games, so I will be unhappy if it goes even further in that direction.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I agree but I doubt that was what people liked about the games, so I will be unhappy if it goes even further in that direction.

That's true. I didn't care one way or the other, but a heavily scripted game can get annoying. See every Call of Duty title for how to not do it.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I just beat ME1 on PC and I really enjoyed it. Aside from tedious elevators, cruisin' in the Mako on barren planets (which didn't get old for me until halfway through, though I only did a handful of sidequests), and a cumbersome omnigel/inventory management system, I loved it, and it has one of the best stories in any game I've played. I can't wait to play ME2, and it sounds like the Mako is non-existent (replaced by something almost as bad-- mining?). I wonder if they'll pull a Saints Row III and give a free copy of ME2 with ME3, that'd be great.

I really enjoyed the combat, so more of that is fine with me. I just wished I had been able to play with a controller.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

God, mining is so much worse than driving around with the Mako. With the Mako, it's boring, but at least you're moving a little car around and actually feel like you're doing something. With the mining, you slowly move a little beacon over an even slower rotating planet to find resources. It's incredibly tedious, takes way too long just for one planet, and is no fun whatsoever.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Lucky for everyone the ME2 for PS3 is patched where mining yields higher results and isn't as tedious!

You really don't even need to really mine all that much. You can do all the missions/get the best ending/all the DLC without the upgrades.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is mining in ME3?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Lucky for everyone the ME2 for PS3 is patched where mining yields higher results and isn't as tedious!

You really don't even need to really mine all that much. You can do all the missions/get the best ending/all the DLC without the upgrades.
On the other hand though, the PS3 version still has the worst load times (taking into account frequency and not just length) of any PS3 game I have played, other than maybe Bayonetta before they patched it so you could install it to the hard drive. I assume the PS3 version of ME3 won't have this problem...

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the other hand though, the PS3 version still has the worst load times (taking into account frequency and not just length) of any PS3 game I have played, other than maybe Bayonetta before they patched it so you could install it to the hard drive. I assume the PS3 version of ME3 won't have this problem...

Oh god, elevator rides from hell?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

BlindNinja posted:

Oh god, elevator rides from hell?
They've done away with loading elevators (which is actually a gag in a certain scene). Just long loading times between areas. The ship is notorious for it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I loving loved driving the Mako around those planets. I wish fiery burning death upon everyone that complained about it so much that they removed it from the sequel.

Here's an odd thing though. Mass Effect is my favourite game of all time. Seriously, you ask me to name the best gaming experience I ever had and the words are out of my mouth before you even finish the question. Mass Effect 3 is coming very soon. So why is it, that I have a copy of Mass Effect 2, with all the DLC, still sitting here that I've never played? I'm sort of scared to play it.

Yes, I know I'm hosed up. I keep telling myself I'll clear my schedule and play nothing but that one game for a a couple of weeks so I can savour it. Just never got around to it. And yet it's more of my favourite game of all time. What the hell is wrong with me?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh ME2 is still a hell of a good game, but since I have played it I have soured to corridor shooters a lot, and ME2 is basically a series of those linked together with a psuedo-RPG system. It has a whole lot of awesome moments, but it still left me wishing for something a little different. I still want another proper scifi RPG, like KOTOR was, but without the Star Wars.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

iastudent posted:

The PC download version (of FF XIV)on Amazon is getting marked down to $10 tomorrow for valentine's day. If it comes with the usual trial for purchasing the game itself I think I'll give it a spin at that price.

This deal is live now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006IUVDOS

Totally just bought it. Let's hope I don't regret it. (I will.)

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

robot roll call posted:

That's fine with me. I don't know if I could think of a ton of ways to improve UC2.
Having played UC3 after months of people griping that wasn't as good as the others and that the story was too dark and blah blah blah, I have to say that I loved it. UC2.5 is still a lot better than 90% of what's out there.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Yep, you get a month free. Does that apply to the PC download version? Because god damnit, I paid $20 on Saturday.

From what I'm hearing, it does. I'm downloading right now but I probably won't get a chance to try it until tomorrow. Working late tonight then going out to dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Metal Gear Online is officially ending in June (June 27). They're making the DLC free before it's all over.

• Locked thread