Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Nakayama for life. Pok-koron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Mine is always going to be Urakawa. Arino played a bunch of brutal games in season 3 and 4 and I'm not sure any other AD would have been as helpful. His Adventure Island win is probably the most amazing feat in the entire series.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Toujima is my favorite because when I first laid eyes on him I totally judged him and his goatee to be some impatient dudebro rear end in a top hat, but it turns out he is, by far, the sweetest and nicest person on that show by 10 miles :3:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr Phillby posted:

The first video was an hour-long 'documentary' covering the event, shown after the fact. It plays out very similarly to a regular episode.

The second video is a compilation of various segments shown during the 24 hour event, edited together by the SA Team.

There isn't a third video, unless you're thinking of the epsiode where Arino first played lemmings, which is just a regular episode.

I thought the Last Continue that Team Nippon did was part of this event?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Kikka posted:

Nakayama for life. Pok-koron.

Nakayama is great, but Takeshi is forever the best between his singing and diorama building. :3:

PosSibley
Jan 11, 2008

21rst Century Digital Boy

Rirse posted:

In Random Stranger's post on Feb 10 (with the download links for the 24 hr compilation vid):

Random Stranger posted:

After wavering back and forth I decided not to integrate Last Continue into it mainly because it would have hugely delayed the release if I had without adding significantly. If you really want to know where it goes drop it in right after the first Abe segment.
e: It was certainly part of it, and takes place chronologically after Abe's first part.

PosSibley fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 14, 2012

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Rirse posted:

That was the SA team.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay, I got confused and also kept saying their name wrong. It was the post from Random Stranger that got me confused, as I was wondering what Lost Continue was in the context of the two new videos.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Now when I hear a wrestling or boxing match announcer I'm going to wish it was the same high-pitched unintelligible shriek that we saw introducing the ADs here. I have been spoiled.

Manfrey
Sep 18, 2006

Frying high
Feering good

AltronHGX posted:

Toujima is my favorite because when I first laid eyes on him I totally judged him and his goatee to be some impatient dudebro rear end in a top hat, but it turns out he is, by far, the sweetest and nicest person on that show by 10 miles :3:

Same here. It's funny, I had the same initial judgment of Kazuma from the Yakuza series before I played it, and made the same about-face.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I have decided that Nakayama is my new favourite AD. I'm sorry, Inoue. Maybe if you had won that wrestling match.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Nakayama's been my #2 for awhile now, he's pretty awesome. I like Inoue but I'm just not as gaga over him as others.

Emoto is coming on strong for me, the more I see him, the more I like so it'll be interesting to see how he develops as I watch more of his seasons.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I want to see Itou actually play a game instead of handing Arino a drawing and fleeing the shot. It's as if she has no desire at all to be a television personality! :argh:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I don't like Nakayama. :( He's so awkward and shy, I used to be just like that and it's painful to watch. Even if he is kinda out of his shell now with the seminude wrestling and public singing. Sorry Nakayama.

In Sasano's absence, Kibe and Abe are my favourites.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Corridor posted:

I don't like Nakayama. :( He's so awkward and shy, I used to be just like that and it's painful to watch. Even if he is kinda out of his shell now with the seminude wrestling and public singing. Sorry Nakayama.

See, the thing about Nakayama is that he just is terrible on camera, and yet, it is in a way that is actually endearing. Like during a live challenge, they are doing a sketch in which Arino is hiding behind a chalkboard, and nobody is supposed to be able to find him. They start airing, and they start with the sketch, and Abe is like "Where is Arino?" and Nakayama goes "He's right there." It's sort of endearing that he wasn't even aware that he was supposed to be on script, and just answered that question honestly.

But Inoko Max is my favorite, since he reminds me a lot of myself. He tries so hard to please, and yet just can't seem to get it right, but that's why we love him. His appearance in Bonanza Brothers is awesome. Arino really didn't want him to play the game at all.

genredleader
Jan 30, 2012
The 24 Hour Special was awesome but the supplementary video.. My God... I'll NEVER be able to look at Tanii the same way again...! He's normally so aloof... I can't believe they got him to do that! I also didn't know they had a Japanese version of Living the Vida Loca... It's just one of those things... You hear it all the time in Spanish but Japanese... That's new! :xd:

My favorite AD is Toujima since he was there from the beginning and they lean on him so much. But I love Abe, Urakawa, and Kibe too. Inoue's okay in small doses but I think Nakayama robbed him in their match.

In other news, I now have Last Continue stuck in my head. Thanks, guys! :xd: I suppose it's an improvement over the Quest of Ki song. :xd:

BTW, not to quibble, but why didn't you guys translate the temperature during the TaniixToujima bit? Some of us only know how to read temperature in Fahrenheit. :(

genredleader fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 14, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
This is the best show oh my god.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

genredleader posted:

BTW, not to quibble, but why didn't you guys translate the temperature during the TaniixToujima bit? Some of us only know how to read temperature in Fahrenheit. :(

Because I translated it and I'm Canadian and I gotta say, it was nice to actually know precisely how hot a place is for once. I don't know Fahrenheit at all and I'm always forced to Google convert F to C when watching American stuff so while I considered translating the temperature, I thought to myself "well if anyone really wanted to know, they could just Google it I suppose, but it's obviously very hot." Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

genredleader posted:

I also didn't know they had a Japanese version of Living the Vida Loca... It's just one of those things... You hear it all the time in Spanish but Japanese... That's new!

The Japanese version is called Goldfinger 99 and was sung by Hiromi Go.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Here's a quick question: What did Inouye (Inoko Max) do during the Takeshi's Challenge Live Challenge that got such a negative reaction?

All will be revealed when I do the 2-hour live special in its entirety eventually but he did his Beat Takeshi impression too many times and got too carried away with his singing when helping Arino with the karaoke part.

Mayor McCheese posted:

Now when I hear a wrestling or boxing match announcer I'm going to wish it was the same high-pitched unintelligible shriek that we saw introducing the ADs here. I have been spoiled.

I've watched that segment several times and only when I was watching the subbed version did I finally realize the shrieking announcer is saying "IN THA BLUE COOORNAAA" and "IN THA RED COOORNAAAA" right before the names. I can't believe I never noticed before. I suspect I would've caught it if I were more familiar with wrestling matches.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 14, 2012

Famibomb
Sep 2, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Because I translated it and I'm Canadian and I gotta say, it was nice to actually know precisely how hot a place is for once. I don't know Fahrenheit at all and I'm always forced to Google convert F to C when watching American stuff so while I considered translating the temperature, I thought to myself "well if anyone really wanted to know, they could just Google it I suppose, but it's obviously very hot." Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

Metric system for life. :colbert:

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

zari-gani posted:

Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.
Being from Germany, I pretty much agree with your sentiment and don't find this bad at all. I know nothing about inches, fahrenheit, miles and god knows what else (I actually do, but for the sake of me being passive aggressive let's say I don't).

USE THE METRIC SYSTEM! It's much more logical too! But that's a discussion for another time.

Either way, I personally don't find it bad at all. It's what they use so that's what you translate. If someone is really that curious they can just go the way we have to go 99% of the time and type "40C in F" into Google and get an immediate result.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kerfuffle posted:

This is the best show oh my god.

This has convinced me to check out the Megaman 2 episode next.

Lock
Aug 8, 2007

hardcore sound gets you hypah

zari-gani posted:

I'm American but I've been overseas long enough to get a feel for metric temperatures, and to a lesser extent distances. Don't personally mind either way; I find British vs. American English petty spats to be more entertaining anyway.

That said, I believe it was in the wrestling match, metric and standard were mixed... I think height was given in feet and inches, but weight in kilos? I forget exactly, but it threw me for a minute.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The metric system is the easiest thing to understand. Zero is zero, anything below that is cold/freezing, 0-30 is the average temperature scale above the equator, anything beyond that is hot as gently caress. Water boils at 100.

There, you now know celsius. Fahrenheit? Where the gently caress do I even begin?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 14, 2012

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I hate to continue de-rails, but I've lived in the US all my life and our measuring systems are poo poo. No one should have to look up how many feet are in a mile or how many ounces are in a pound just to do some simple calculations or cook food/buy cooking materials.

I like the subs the way they are. If you were targeting the subs strictly to a specific audience it'd be one thing, but that's not the case here. Besides, learning how to approximate measurement conversions are a useful and worldly skill! /dadlecture

Just noticed Primoman has a GCCX avatar and caption. That's... dedication?

e2: thanks for doing the subs!

softcorps fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 14, 2012

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

The metric system is the easiest thing to understand. Zero is zero, anything below that is cold/freezing, 0-30 is the average temperature scale above the equator, anything beyond that is hot as gently caress. Water boils at 100.

There, you now know celsius. Fahrenheit? Where the gently caress do I even begin?

At the risk of even more derailing...

I'm all for getting America's head on straight as regards measurements, but, like, you gotta realize, just like for you guys where you instinctively sort of "know" how much these measurements are, (like you're aware of what a kilo is, how much weight that is in your hand) most Americans know instinctively what a pound feels like or a 70-degree day in May feels like. As Celsius goes, it's not a question of knowing where the freezing/boiling markers are. People can learn that all day, but it doesn't mean a drat thing most days. What people need to learn to be able to transition to Celsius is stuff like "It's thirty-five and muggy, why the gently caress are you not inside with the A/C on?" or "Springtime in the northeast, 11 degrees and rainy." That's not something you can just learn from knowing where water boils and freezes, you have to actively learn how it relates to the real world, and if you don't actively learn it as a child, it is a gigantic pain in the rear end, and you don't have time in your daily life to reprogram your brain to think in a way that most devices in your environment won't provide data for.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

zari-gani posted:

In terms of temperature, it's a losing battle. If you go with Fahrenheit, you'll have some people saying "But it makes no sense to me! Why are they wearing coats if it is 32 degrees out?" But if you use Celsius, us Imperialistic Americans will insist that you people put coats on when it is 32 degrees outside. We don't care that it might be equivalent to a warm summer day. Simply, it is our view of the world, and out view is correct, and you will adapt to meet our view. So honestly, I don't give a poo poo there. Either way, someone will be confused, angry, and upset, and imho, I think it's just fine if you use celsius. Even though I will wonder why they don't have coats on.

In terms of money - I think a nice thing to do would just put in parenthesis how much it would cost in American dollars. Just so that way we have a sense of how expensive it is, because with Yen, you'll see something be like 100,000 yen, and I know it isn't as much as $100,000 would be, but it seems sort of meaningless to me. Obviously, in the Tamage segments, it's not needed, since I don't need to know how much 100 yen is worth. But when they start bringing out rare games or systems and talking about their values, it would make it a lot easier for people around the world to understand without having to go to Google and look up conversions.

abraxas posted:

USE THE METRIC SYSTEM! It's much more logical too! But that's a discussion for another time.

I've agreed to never have this conversation again. Pretty much, the way I look at it is that both sides just can't understand how their system doesn't make sense to someone. If I say it is 76 F degrees outside, and I am 25 feet away from the beach, that makes perfect sense to American. But if a British person were to tell me that it is 32 C degrees outside and they are 8 meters away from the beach... I'd just be confused as poo poo. Pretty much, Fahrenheit makes sense if you base it on the idea of human tolerance. 0 degrees is about as cold as you can take, and 100 degrees is about as hot as you can take. Anything over 100 is too loving hot, and anything below 0 is too loving cold.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

genredleader posted:

The metric system has been an educational requirement in the US for more than three decayears.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Funnily enough, I talked about this exact thing in a write-up I did yesterday on just how complicated translation really is (for those who think, I speak language X and language Y, therefore I can translate between the two, QED).

Metric vs. Imperial is a goddamn nightmare for translation, because every English-speaking country's a little different. Here in Canada, we've officially gone over to the metric system (miles and gallons are pretty much a dead concept here), but fahrenheit is still commonly used for reading body temperature (I prefer the extra leeway; 2 degrees F above body temp just barely puts you in "take a sick day" territory, whereas 2 degrees C above is basically saying you will die if you don't get to a hospital ASAP), feet and inches are still popular for height and certain measurements like screw sizes, and it's kind of 50/50 on if people will weigh themselves using pounds or kilos.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Cemetry Gator posted:

I've agreed to never have this conversation again. Pretty much, the way I look at it is that both sides just can't understand how their system doesn't make sense to someone. If I say it is 76 F degrees outside, and I am 25 feet away from the beach, that makes perfect sense to American. But if a British person were to tell me that it is 32 C degrees outside and they are 8 meters away from the beach... I'd just be confused as poo poo. Pretty much, Fahrenheit makes sense if you base it on the idea of human tolerance. 0 degrees is about as cold as you can take, and 100 degrees is about as hot as you can take. Anything over 100 is too loving hot, and anything below 0 is too loving cold.

Yeah I completely agree with you and I absolutely see where you (as in people using the imperial system) come from. It's a useless discussion and I honestly don't mind either way. I'll read whatever the subs say and will be able to at least approximate what the hell's going on. What I meant by it being "more logical" is things like water freezes at 0C and boils at 100C, there's 100 centimeters in a meter, there's 1000 meters in a kilometer and so on and so forth. Why are there 12 inches in a foot and not 10? Why does water freeze at 32F... all of that seems pretty arbitrary to me as a metric system user and not very logical.

But as has been said, you'll have an easier time with whatever you grew up with and this discussion can be kept going in circles for endless times. And with that philosophical outbreak I'll gladly end this derail and instead anxiously await a new episode :)

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I've always been of the mind that Fahrenheit should be used in manners pertaining to the human body (temperature of the air outside, body temperature) since as Cemetry Gator said, it equates to human tolerance, and Celsius should be used in labs and kitchens and whatnot since it pertains to water. Of course, I also feel like if you have to localize the names of the games and the characters you should translate the measurements too, to be consistent, but it doesn't matter that much.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
All I'll say is that translation is one of those things that people who haven't done it (well) won't quite fully understand, and those that have done it will froth at the mouth about mostly-insignificant details with each other, having completely lost perspective.

I'm just happy these days that someone will take the effort to translate and sub something, especially if it's of relatively low demand or popularity, and even if it's not the best translation. Things like the Takeshi's Challenge only selling 80k copies and MGS selling "10 billion 7 million copies" in the earlier seasons brings me back to the days of losing my poo poo over QCing other translators' work, but then I realize I wouldn't have wanted to do the subs. Even if I could've done the translation, I wouldn't have wanted to do the caption timing and setting, which is a whole 'nother can of pain-in-the-rear end.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My favorite AD is probably Nakayama because of the sound effect. Runner up is Toujima because he was the first AD and one of the best.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

genredleader posted:

Inoue's okay in small doses

So you like him a normal amount, then?

Mostly I think I like Inoue because he's one of the few we've seen enough of to discern a "character arc" for. If you compare his first appearances and the USA special, it's like night and day. He still remains a hapless dork, but the dynamic between him and Arino has completely changed (possibly in part because he's been moving up the show's "hierarchy", too).

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

softcorps posted:

Just noticed Primoman has a GCCX avatar and caption. That's... dedication?

I was looking for an avatar I wouldn't get sick of, and eventually found this image in someone's Tumblr.

I pray the day never comes where I would get sick of this show or its lovable, bumbling host. But seeing how I keep refreshing this page to see if the next episode has been subbed yet, that's not something I have to worry about anytime soon.

Joctan
Sep 2, 2011
For me the order of best ADīs is

Inoue > Urakawa and Nakayama > everybody else > Inoue with glasses

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

zari-gani posted:

The Japanese version is called Goldfinger 99 and was sung by Hiromi Go.

Not only that, that version of the song is commonly associated with the comedian Hard Gay.

I'm not sure I have an explicit favorite AD. They almost always bring a big, stupid grin to my face when they show up.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The only thing that irritates me about Celsius is that my crappy car AC system works in such a way that 18 degrees is too cold and 19 degrees is too warm. This is also basically the epitome of a first world problem.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Besides, we don't translate yen to dollars (except in that 24H compilation), km to miles, centimeters to inches in our translations... Is that bad? Serious question.

I don't consider it that bad but I learned some rough estimates for these things so I just do a quick running calculation and I'm fine with it. For people that haven't learned it might be annoying but they can deal with it, I suppose.

Cemetry Gator posted:

In terms of money - I think a nice thing to do would just put in parenthesis how much it would cost in American dollars.

The yen is worth more now(~1.3 cents) but I find a 1:1 scale(1 yen = 1 penny) to come somewhat close to representing actual value for the purposes of watching a show. So 100 yen = 1 dollar, 1000 yen = 10 dollars, 10000 yen = 100 dollars and so on.

So whatever "huge" number they say, chop off the last 2 zeroes and there's your (rough)dollar amount. I suppose if you want to be more accurate you can then add 30% to that and get a close representation.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 14, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Shlapintogan posted:

Not only that, that version of the song is commonly associated with the comedian Hard Gay.

I've never heard him use anything but the Ricky Martin version. Did he get complaints about it later or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Bocc Kob posted:

I've never heard him use anything but the Ricky Martin version. Did he get complaints about it later or something?

I think I've heard him use Goldfinger 99 on some shows, but then again, I've come to the point in my life where if I hear the first bit of the song, regardless of version, I know Hard Gay is not far behind.