Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

This has unsettling implications for the rest of the class, seeing as Red now has a name.

The class didn't start asking Red for names, though. They were still going after Annie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Additionally, the teacher implied that Red and her could hang out now. That seems to indicate that she has a name as well.

Which means naming isn't something other faeries can do.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Which means naming isn't something other faeries can do.

Or just don't. We've seen how they treat people they're friends with.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I don't remember who said it a while ago but I think we're due for a big emotional gut-punch next chapter.

Place your bets, people.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Ironic Twist posted:

I don't remember who said it a while ago but I think we're due for a big emotional gut-punch next chapter.

Place your bets, people.

Smitty dies, and we have to deal with the whole universe going out of order. :ohdear:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ironic Twist posted:

Place your bets, people.

As long as nothing bad happens to Parley. Or Kat. Or Shadow. Or Robot. Or... anyone.

poo poo.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Yeah, this chapter was entirely too light-hearted for something terrible and gutwrenching to not happen in the next one.

Red gets a name... then dies in a horrible laser-cow related tragedy.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Bussamove posted:

Yeah, this chapter was entirely too light-hearted for something terrible and gutwrenching to not happen in the next one.
Being named is the first catalyst for the degradation of a faerie's etheric ability. The magic in them basically dies piece by piece as they take on more of the mundane.

Particularly severe cases have resulted in slightly overweight ex-fae living in the suburbs, trapped in loveless marriages, unable to perform the "I've detached my thumb" magic trick which isn't even magical at all.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
See, the thing is that all of the dramatic moments that have happened so far have been revelations about the past.

When something dramatic happens in the present, it's going to have ten times the gravity, and it's going to be rough.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
The eventual battle with Jeanne is going to be a heart-render, I can already feel it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Rasamune posted:

The eventual battle with Jeanne is going to be a heart-render, I can already feel it.

Well, considering the best case scenario is that she finally finishes dying without anybody else getting maimed in the process, it was never gonna be much of a laugh riot. Unless some faeries tag along.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh crud I'm going to cry at the end of this comic aren't I? Good thing that's not for a while, RIGHT?

But yeah, we're due for some plot heavy stuff right about now.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Olivia42 posted:

Oh crud I'm going to cry at the end of this comic aren't I?

Of course you are. It's going to end with Kat getting a letter that her best friend's daughter is about to enroll in her class.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
So I guess fairies can't name themselves or their peers; it has to be the other students/faculty at the campus.

And it seems that those odd little stars and such are still floating around Annie's head. Wonder what those are.

e: man the art shift is just weird after experiencing a whole chapter of ether

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Man, Blue looks pissed.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jabronis. A passel of jabronis.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Really, how was anyone supposed to know that beforehand? 'Don't give the jerks jabronis in Foley House a name' doesn't seem like something you'd typically write down on an orientation pamphlet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair, Annie just spent a holiday in the Forest. I don't think Jones would expect randoms to know it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, Annie just spent a holiday in the Forest. I don't think Jones would expect randoms to know it.

I doubt those loyal to the forest talk too much about the rules of traitors.

Also Blue's angry face. :3:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

WeaponBoy posted:

Really, how was anyone supposed to know that beforehand? 'Don't give the jerks jabronis in Foley House a name' doesn't seem like something you'd typically write down on an orientation pamphlet.

I don't know, given the circumstances it really should be something you tell students at orientation.

Right after "don't go down into the gorge that has a vengeful ghost at the bottom" and "don't antagonize Zimmy."

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Tom just gave the perfect text for almost any fairy avatar. Imagine if you will,

[PBBBBBBbbbbbbbht avatar]
Their culture is full of subtlety.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Annie, you're... leaking sparkles.

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Bussamove posted:

I don't know, given the circumstances it really should be something you tell students at orientation.

Right after "don't go down into the gorge that has a vengeful ghost at the bottom" and "don't antagonize Zimmy."

That'd just encourage them. Keeping the fairies seperate is probably more effective.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Speaking of that, I wonder if Annie's ability to detach herself from her body in the ethereal world will persist.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
What is that object above Jones' head in the fourth panel? I remember seeing symbols/objects like that before, like when Annie was on her way to meet the forest people with Ysengrin before she stayed there the summer. Probably in some other instances too.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Lord of Laughton posted:

What is that object above Jones' head in the fourth panel? I remember seeing symbols/objects like that before, like when Annie was on her way to meet the forest people with Ysengrin before she stayed there the summer. Probably in some other instances too.
The first thing I thought is it is some sort of etheric string and Jones is being controlled remotely, like a puppet.

This is probably not what it is.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
They're the fake Forest-streamer things taped to the ceiling.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I hadn't noticed them in panels 1 and 3 at first. Interesting.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lord of Laughton posted:

I figured it was just this thing: http://youtu.be/KNJ1B_2b17s

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

The Walker posted:

I hadn't noticed them in panels 1 and 3 at first. Interesting.

I think she's just dazed.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I figure it's like coming out of a good book, only more so, part of her mind is still there, so, swirls!

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think it might just be the faeries are still following Annie around in the ether, trying to get a name. They 'disappear' after she leaves the classroom, after all.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Ogee has a name. I wonder if they have names while alive as fairies and lose them when they get killed and turn human.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dodgeball posted:

Ogee has a name. I wonder if they have names while alive as fairies and lose them when they get killed and turn human.

Maybe the ones that are going to turn human don't get names in the first place. I don't think all of them go bigjobs.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
So, were Red and Blue still faffing about in the ether? They seemed comparatively emotive this time, and Red is usually a huge jerk in general.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

WeaponBoy posted:

So, were Red and Blue still faffing about in the ether? They seemed comparatively emotive this time, and Red is usually a huge jerk in general.

I kinda got the feeling that Blue is just so pissed about everything that just happened her face is reflecting it. Like how Red's body was surprised about Annie farting around with her laptop: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=989

I assumed Red popped out to wave goodbye since Annie did her a solid and all. Or they're good enough at multitasking to do things like that while still having an etherbrawl.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see the next chapter (or one of the next chapters) be something involving Annie's father

After all, it's been "over 2 years" in the story.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Migishu posted:

After all, it's been "over 2 years" in the story.

Not yet. That was end of first year. They're mid third year now. Anthony won't be heard from until next summer holidays at the earliest.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Ah true. My bad. I thought it had already been 2 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I'm going to laugh if Anthony showing up is treated as a total non-event. Just "Hey, Annie, sorry for not being here" "'Sokay dad."

I realize that's not going to happen, but it'd be hilarious if it did.