Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LightWarden posted:

Man, it's been an interesting week for Tim Schafer. People offer to throw money at him to make Psychonauts 2, and then he raises $1.8 million in adventure gaming funbucks.

I was worried Psychonauts 2 wouldn't be as good if it was something Schafer hadn't originally wanted to do. Like, if Notch went to him and said he wanted it made, and Schafer had to come up with an idea to a game series he hadn't planned past the first game. But Schafer always wanted to make a 2nd game, and had plot elements ready?

Now I really want a Psychonauts 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Also, breaking the youtube rule ("Never Read Youtube Comments") for this video

DoubleFineProd posted:

I just wanted to say thanks for making this video. It's better than any of the official trailers we ever had for the game! And it's awesome. :)

-Tim S.

:3:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

There's a slideshow you can find in one of the levels in Psychonauts that shows Sasha and Milla as globe-trotting psychic spies. I would play the hell out of a game that opened up the scope of the Psychonauts world like that (and gave more screentime to Sasha Nein).

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
That was Milla's Adventures, one of the two memory vaults in Milla's level. Of course, the other vault was Milla's Children, so it's easy to overlook it.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

thrawn527 posted:

But Schafer always wanted to make a 2nd game, and had plot elements ready?

Now I really want a Psychonauts 2.

Did like 90% of people completely forget the ending to Psychonauts 1 already? It sets up most of the Psychonauts 2 plot very explicitly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJeqlxWRt8

skip to around 2:45

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

LightWarden posted:

That was Milla's Adventures, one of the two memory vaults in Milla's level. Of course, the other vault was Milla's Children, so it's easy to overlook it.

I found that completely by accident while just screwing around in the level (and then opened the trunk that went deeper into her subconscious) and man, that was an eyeopener :stare:

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Spiky Ooze posted:

Did like 90% of people completely forget the ending to Psychonauts 1 already? It sets up most of the Psychonauts 2 plot very explicitly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnJeqlxWRt8

skip to around 2:45

People keep pretending this was a cliffhanger or something instead of the "And so they continued to have adventures" ending it really is.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

maxnmona posted:

People keep pretending this was a cliffhanger or something instead of the "And so they continued to have adventures" ending it really is.

It's more that it's like the word "ironic", where so many people misusing the word has lead to a complete misunderstanding of what it actually means. So now anything that doesn't end with "And they lived happily ever after" is now considered a cliffhanger, even if the entire plot is fully resolved and everything is taken care of.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

maxnmona posted:

Scahfer has said numerous times it was going to be a 2-3 part series, and he wanted to explore the characters more/add to the storyline, but it got cut off after the first game, so yeah, that wasn't a cliffhanger, but it was supposed to set up the start of Psychonauts 2, rather then just be "they had an ending."

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

maxnmona posted:

"The leader of our organization was kidnapped" is a cliffhanger.

edit: but maybe we just interpreted the ending differently that's fine. I just always saw it as a DeLorean swooping in kind of ending.

Spiky Ooze fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 15, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

It occurred to me when I donated 30 dollars to the kickstarter I was breaking a rule.

Oh well I'm sure the game will still be fine.
Its OK thats $20 in 1990 dollars, so expect to pay $99.95 in 2012 :v:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

dud root posted:

Its OK thats $20 in 1990 dollars, so expect to pay $99.95 in 2012 :v:

Adjusted for inflation it's actually around $36 bux.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Spiky Ooze posted:

I just always saw it as a DeLorean swooping in kind of ending.

That wasn't a setup for a sequel, either.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Spiky Ooze posted:

edit: but maybe we just interpreted the ending differently that's fine. I just always saw it as a DeLorean swooping in kind of ending.

A cliffhanger is when elements of the plot are left hanging, like the end of Beyond Good & Evil.

In Psychonauts, every element of the plot is resolved, and then, afterwards, they all soar off into the sunset on a new adventure. It leaves room for a sequel, sure, but it's not a cliffhanger, and it wouldn't surprise me if, were a Psychonauts 2 to happen, its plot had nothing to do with the kidnapping.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Spiky Ooze posted:

I think that's more of a Batman Begins kind of ending...

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I always thought a Psychonauts sequel would pick up a couple years down the line, where Raz is now a rookie agent and the story follows his missions. It even seems like a good setup for an episodic game or other smaller, non-triple-A production since you could have a bunch of one-off adventures as Raz and have an overarching plot slowly percolate in the background. Make the last episode the big dramatic event that's been hinted at all along, not unlike how the first game was structured.

Have each episode start and end at headquarters and involve going on some sort of mission (exactly what a regular psychonaut does is pretty vague), maybe each mission having a big mental journey centerpiece. It's sort of reminiscent of the first half of the original game itself, which generally went Explore Camp/Mental Journey Level/Explore Camp (With Changes), repeat. Sounds right up the episodic game development alley. I know Telltale games' adventures can be divisive, but the format they're delivered in isn't a bad model.

But anyway, Schafer's not really a sequel guy. If it happens, however it happens, I'll be delighted, but one game at a time - I'm sure there's some new ideas percolating over at Double-Fine and we'll be begging for a sequel to whatever they make this time soon enough.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Notch just posted a blog about Psychonauts 2.
http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype

quote:

* The budget for doing a Psychonauts 2 is three times higher than my initial impression

Stark
Jun 9, 2007
I wish there was a game proposal so we could have an idea of what we are funding. I love some of Schafer's games, but I'm not going to fund "we don't know what we're going to do!". I'll wait for it to be finished.

Valen
Oct 1, 2009

Stark posted:

I wish there was a game proposal so we could have an idea of what we are funding. I love some of Schafer's games, but I'm not going to fund "we don't know what we're going to do!". I'll wait for it to be finished.

It's going to be a point and click adventure game. They are already re-thinking the scope of it because of the budget they've already pulled in, so stuff like that is still changing to some degree.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Kickstarter: Update #1: Important Update from Tim...

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah, as great as Notch is, I don't think he has much real experience in producing AAA console games. I mean, he got rich off Minecraft and deserves his success. But I don't think he really understands what's involved in developing a $20 million AAA next gen title; which is what Psychonauts 2 has to be.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Woo, select android devices.

I mean, I'd be playing this at my computer either way, but still.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yay Steam! :steam:

Edit: DRM-free version too!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

adamarama posted:

But I don't think he really understands what's involved in developing a $20 million AAA next gen title; which is what Psychonauts 2 has to be.

Why does it have to be?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Agreeing that I don't see how Psychonauts 2 has to be a triple-A, although I imagine it'd at least have to engage all or most of Double Fine - this adventure game is sort of the pet project of a small team, but when you've got a whole studio to keep open the scale of your projects needs to match your capacity.

I'd imagine by triple, Notch figured it'd be a couple million like the Kickstarter and it turned out to be a couple million x3, simple as that. I wouldn't be surprised if they just quoted him a number (not an unrealistic number, just a hard number) to scare him off a bit, you don't really want to start making plans about a major project over what a guy says he'd like to do on Twitter.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bobulus posted:

Woo, select android devices.

I mean, I'd be playing this at my computer either way, but still.

I was wondering about this. I'd imagine you only get one copy of the game for your chosen console/device but it'd be nice to have it for iOS in addition to PC.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

Why does it have to be?

What are you suggesting it would be?

The first one was an AAA Xbox/PS2 game.

Are you suggesting a game designed to those specs would sell at similar numbers? I don't think it would sell to anyone that wasn't already a Psychonauts fan, and the Psychonauts fanbase is a subset of the people who bought the game the first time, which wasn't enough to be successful the first time around.

In order to make a game competitive with similar (ie, Ratchet and Clank or whatever) titles on the market at this time for 360/PS3 you're looking at $20m most likely unless you come up with some radical, end-user visible method of cutting costs, like intentionally retro graphics that are also quick and cheap to make, cutting all voice acting, etc. Even then you're cutting percentage points and not quarters.

PonchAxis posted:

Yeah no poo poo it costs 3x what he expected. Notch has no professional games experience, right?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

What are you suggesting it would be?

The first one was an AAA Xbox/PS2 game.

Yeah and look how well that worked out.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
The funny part is Notch could still afford it easily.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

the black husserl posted:

Yeah and look how well that worked out.

Are you suggesting a Psychonauts 2 that is smaller in scope than Psychonauts 1?

Maybe a faux 8bit demake? An iphone cut-the-rope clone? A text adventure?

If you're going to suggest that a sequel to Psychonauts could be something other than a budget-competitive platformer with a ton of story elements on a modern system, could you actually suggest what it would be?

OlMaster
May 12, 2008
Schafer's suggested $13m, the same budget as the original, and Notch has apparently agreed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-15-notch-can-match-schafers-USD13m-psychonauts-2-budget-valuation

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sigma-X posted:

Are you suggesting a Psychonauts 2 that is smaller in scope than Psychonauts 1?

Maybe a faux 8bit demake? An iphone cut-the-rope clone? A text adventure?

If you're going to suggest that a sequel to Psychonauts could be something other than a budget-competitive platformer with a ton of story elements on a modern system, could you actually suggest what it would be?

Well, I just suggested it could be an adventure-game episodic series in the Telltale model. Trying to do the same gameplay formula as they did last time which didn't draw in sales seems like a bad idea, but they could try platforming focusing on smaller, tighter 'gimmick' levels like the mental journey levels (the milkman one was a fun example from the first game), one at a time per episode.

They need to get the most they can out of a fairly small but dedicated audience. A regular series of episodic content works for that since it's more like picking up subscribers than it is hoping for one big burst of interest.

Edit: PC development seems like a good idea since it's friendlier to smaller developments, although the iOS or the Xbox and Sony marketplaces might also work. The point is it doesn't have to be a sequel in the same way that, say, Assassin's Creed 2 was a sequel to Assassin's Creed 1 - it can be a sequel on the setting and concept while in effect being a completely new game, drawing in the fans from the original as a base while potentially attracting new fans to the new gameplay.

Edit2: Oh god, Notch is still willing to pay?

I think Tim may have to have a lie down for a bit. First a public outpouring of goodwill nets record Kickstarter crowdsourcing for a passion-project, then an eccentric gaming figure actually meets his likely-sort-of-half-joking goal for a cult-popular sequel. Things've got to be moving kinda fast at Double Fine, I just hope these stories don't overshadow each other since they're both interesting.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 16, 2012

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

OlMaster posted:

Schafer's suggested $13m, the same budget as the original, and Notch has apparently agreed

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-15-notch-can-match-schafers-USD13m-psychonauts-2-budget-valuation
Oh man this is exciting.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

His joke about EFIGS being a language like Esperanto was loving adorable I love Tim Schafer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I liked the original Psychonauts a million times better than I've ever liked a single Telltale series. Don't make Psychonauts like a Telltale series. They literally just repackage the same exact rooms across 5 episodes, except for Tales of Monkey Island -- which apparently is an outlier for them.

Sam & Max s1 and Back to the Future are probably the worst offenders of this, and BTTF just came out last year from them.

Psychonauts is constantly throwing new ideas and layouts at you, and the repetition only comes in the actual mechanics of the game; Telltale games are repetitive both in mechanics AND narrative AND design. And the platforming in Psychonauts is fine!! The camera isnt even that big of a deal. It's a fun loving game.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I've never been able to play psychonauts despite owning it from 2 different places. It just doesn't display anything :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Quest For Glory II posted:

I liked the original Psychonauts a million times better than I've ever liked a single Telltale series. Don't make Psychonauts like a Telltale series. They literally just repackage the same exact rooms across 5 episodes, except for Tales of Monkey Island -- which apparently is an outlier for them.

Sam & Max s1 and Back to the Future are probably the worst offenders of this, and BTTF just came out last year from them.

Psychonauts is constantly throwing new ideas and layouts at you, and the repetition only comes in the actual mechanics of the game; Telltale games are repetitive both in mechanics AND narrative AND design. And the platforming in Psychonauts is fine!! The camera isnt even that big of a deal. It's a fun loving game.

You don't have to import their boring gameplay or work ethic, but there's something to be said about an episodic model that can afford to wait to make its money as word of mouth spreads and more people become 'subscribers', buying up the series and following up with your regular updates. You can make each new episode new content (or mostly new content if you want to reuse a base of operations) and choose platforming as your gameplay base, it's more a matter of scale and delivery format.

If anything, it's easier to throw new level designs, gameplay quirks, powers, and so on at the players if each one has an episode built around it/out of it, since you can afford to experiment with each episode and incorporate what you learn and what the users like into the next one.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

adamarama posted:

Yeah, as great as Notch is, I don't think he has much real experience in producing AAA console games. I mean, he got rich off Minecraft and deserves his success. But I don't think he really understands what's involved in developing a $20 million AAA next gen title; which is what Psychonauts 2 has to be.

If all he's doing is just funding a big part of it, he doesn't have to know how be a producer, just how to sign checks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dolash posted:

You don't have to import their boring gameplay or work ethic, but there's something to be said about an episodic model that can afford to wait to make its money as word of mouth spreads and more people become 'subscribers', buying up the series and following up with your regular updates.
You do have to if you want to release them at the rate that Telltale did. That's why episodic gaming doesn't really work. Either you make too many sacrifices to get content out faster or you have Valve who will take a decade to make one episode.

The only reason Tales of Monkey Island worked is because it was clearly one full-length game and they just released each act of the game as its own game. And if you're doing that then I don't even know what the point is, just release the full thing.

If there was an example of episodic gaming that was neither Telltale-rushed or Valve-slowed, that was GOOD, maybe I'd have an understanding, but the only other series I can think of are dotHack, American McGee's Grimm, and Sonic 4, all of which people hate.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LightWarden posted:

Man, it's been an interesting week for Tim Schafer. People offer to throw money at him to make Psychonauts 2, and then he raises $1.8 million in adventure gaming funbucks.

Tim Schafer posted:

This is how he'd pitch the sequel to big game publishers: He'd show a 2010 fan trailer called Inceptionauts that mashed up the movie Inception and the first Psychonauts. "It's better than any trailer we ever had for the game," Schafer said. He says it even helped him remember how much he'd liked Psychonauts, which he had taken a break from thinking about after it came out. "It reminded me how much I like it," he said, adding that "I'd like to thank that fan for making the video. I used it to try to fund Psychonauts 2."

:stare:

I can't imagine why he thought that showing a fan-made AMV to investors was a good idea.

• Locked thread