Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

This is great. The .gif of the umpire just sprinting out of there is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Badfinger posted:

That's a good article. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

This is a very resonant part of that article.

I can think of at least one factoid missing from this graphic

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Colin Cowherd being a legitmate creep on his national ESPN show.

http://deadspin.com/5885390/kate-upton-hangs-up-on-colin-cowherd-after-he-asks-what-shes-wearing-how-much-she-gets-paid

"How many guys ask you out Kate, how many guys ask you out?"
"Are you in sweat pants now?"

Darren Rovell, who is probably a monster creep, also creeping on her hard
http://deadspin.com/5885065/darren-rovell-gets-on-one-knee-asks-kate-upton-to-be-his-valentine-is-rejected

Another great thing Darren Rovell did, blast the Playboy Super Bowl party for having girls who were not hot enough and then yelling at a girl who wouldn't take a picture with him "not even for 175,000 twitter followers?"

Ahhh, media figures

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If I remember correctly, Cowherd also blamed a black athlete that it was his fault he got killed in a burglary.

The guy is a piece of poo poo, even if it is a persona.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tae posted:

If I remember correctly, Cowherd also blamed a black athlete that it was his fault he got killed in a burglary.

The guy is a piece of poo poo, even if it is a persona.

He said John Wall wouldn't be a good player because he grew up in a single-family household.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Also used so many dog whistle racial terms when John Wall had the audacity to do the Dougie that Rush Limbaugh had to stand up and salute his radio.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Barry Zito is going to return to elite form and win the Cy Young in 2012 and then his wife will wake up and realize it was all a dream and that Barry's still terrible.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stuart scott irl posted:

I can think of at least one factoid missing from this graphic

Ben Folds owns

I watched that game too, it was either on the MLB network or during a free trial of extra innings. The article does a great job recalling how hosed up it was.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Ryan announced that he's retiring from the Boston Globe after the Olympics. Here's what he had to say:

quote:

"I really and truly believe that my time has come and gone, that the dynamics of the business, of what it takes to be involved in the business with all the tweeting and the blogging and that stuff, with an audience with a different taste ... I'm not comfortable -- it's not me any more."

The irony? He announced his retirement during an interview on the Bill Simmons Grantland podcast.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
I haven't listened to the interview but he's not wrong. Sports print journalism is dead and if the dude can't adapt or doesn't want to adapt he's making the right decision to just walk away. Bob Ryan is a typical Boston sports windbag but I kind of respect him for realizing his shortcomings and walking away.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder if it's an indication that the end is near for the Globe, or if it's going online-only soon. It'd be a shame, but it's inevitable. And imagine a world with no Dan Shaughnessy columns!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

hcreight posted:

I wonder if it's an indication that the end is near for the Globe, or if it's going online-only soon. It'd be a shame, but it's inevitable. And imagine a world with no Dan Shaughnessy columns!

Or it could be because Bob Ryan is getting old.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sure, but age hasn't stopped old guys from hanging onto their sports columns in the past. That quote suggests that the Globe may be going in a different direction and he doesn't want anything to do with online journalism.

(Pure speculation on my part, i'm not denying that.)

hcreight fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 15, 2012

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

hcreight posted:

Sure, but age hasn't stopped old guys from hanging onto their sports columns in the past. That quote suggests that the Globe may be going in a different direction and he doesn't want anything to do with online journalism.

I actually thought Ryan was older than he really is (66). The Globe did lay off a bunch of people a few years back, so contract negotiations could definitely have played a part.

I just assume there would be more rumblings if the Globe was planning that big a move.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

hcreight posted:

In that same interview he talks about how he doesn't really keep up with basketball anymore. I think he's just Too Old For This poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

How much longer will old school journalists be able to get away with making GBS threads on the Internet? Its not like is an invention that just popped up last week. To me, it seems like people realize that more and more writers have a voice now and won't put up with the same trite garbage that's been filling columns for years.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

haljordan posted:

How much longer will old school journalists be able to get away with making GBS threads on the Internet? Its not like is an invention that just popped up last week.

In this particular case, Ryan's quote sounds less to me about The Internet, and more about Bob Ryan. poo poo like Twitter has genuinely changed how news cycles happen.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I took a sports journalism class in college where we had Kevin Dupont as a guest. He said that one of the common background noises you'll hear at the Globe offices is Bob Ryan screaming at his computer for various reasons.

Yeah, he probably just isn't big on using online social media services.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

I only half listened to the interview, but he gave the impression that he was tired of the grind more than anything. He talked about traveling with his wife and putting his time and energy into features and books. I don't think he was bashing twitter and blogs, just the attention it takes to be relevant in that format. The job used to have fairly set hours and convenient breaks for vacations, but now if you want to hold an audience, you have to work 24/7, 365 days a year.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

the talent deficit posted:

I only half listened to the interview, but he gave the impression that he was tired of the grind more than anything. He talked about traveling with his wife and putting his time and energy into features and books. I don't think he was bashing twitter and blogs, just the attention it takes to be relevant in that format. The job used to have fairly set hours and convenient breaks for vacations, but now if you want to hold an audience, you have to work 24/7, 365 days a year.

Or just throw up some dong shots every once in a while apparently.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
News today that the Philadelphia Daily News, Philadelphia Inquirer and Philly.com will be cutting nearly 40 jobs soon.

http://www.local-10.com/blog.html

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I agree with you about the grind. Take Schefter for example. Of course, he is an outlier, I honestly think he is the hardest working reporter at ESPN if not in the entire country, at least when limited to sports. I swear when I wake up he has already tweeted his first news item of the day, then he is on about 19 different shows at ESPN and he is still tweeting news when I go to sleep. Still, it used to be you had to write your column every other day and that was it. Now you have to tweet, you need to call 14 different radio shows, if you are newspaper only you will never break a story and why would anyone talk to you when they can talk to one of the 10 ESPN /Yahoo guys who reach an entire country.

The no one will go to your paper's website to read your actual column anyway, why do that when someone will tweet or Deadspin will post the 3 sentences summarizing it if you actually wrote anything important?

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

this entire conversation pretty much sums up why I did a complete 180 in my late 20s and decided that sportswriting was not a great career choice. Well that and the pay.

I love sports, but it's more fun from this side of things.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

nasboat posted:

this entire conversation pretty much sums up why I did a complete 180 in my late 20s and decided that sportswriting was not a great career choice. Well that and the pay.

I love sports, but it's more fun from this side of things.

sportswriting as a potential career made me Hate Sports. So I didn't do it, which was the best decision ever... and it still kind of hosed up hockey for me forever.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sportswriting as a potential career made me Hate Sports. So I didn't do it, which was the best decision ever... and it still kind of hosed up hockey for me forever.

what I found particularly grating was that I drifted into sportswriting because I could write and I love sports -- seemed obvious. Then I spent night after night missing the actual sporting events that I enjoy watching, instead having to write 20 inches on a 78-25 blowout win in a high school girls' basketball game.

(well that and the pay)

e: combine that with the fact that print journalism is dying, the places you'd work up to are laying people off left and right, so there's no spots to try and aim for -- and the lower rungs of the ladder are being fought over by people who are overqualified for the position but need work. Poor pay and terrible prospects for the future. I think people are much better off blogging and getting noticed (like a few of our esteemed SAS posters) than working up the ladder the traditional way.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 16, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
see i was straight up covering the boston bruins for a college paper with a ton of editorial freedom and still couldn't make it work.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hcreight posted:

I took a sports journalism class in college where we had Kevin Dupont as a guest. He said that one of the common background noises you'll hear at the Globe offices is Bob Ryan screaming at his computer for various reasons.

Yeah, he probably just isn't big on using online social media services.
He just needs to take lessons on blogging without actually blogging from Murray Chass.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I was a sports editor for my college paper in undergrad and had a few sports-related internships and it really sucks the fun out of sports. It detaches you so much from the fandom that got you interested in sports in the first place that I would much rather cover high school sports for the rest of my life and be able to retain the interest I have in professional teams.

Sports journalism just isn't worth the hassle. You stick to the old ways, you're a dinosaur. You adapt to the new ways, you lose your social life. gently caress that.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

see i was straight up covering the boston bruins for a college paper with a ton of editorial freedom and still couldn't make it work.

was it a school in Boston? I'm a journalism student at BU (granted I plan on doing music journalism because I enjoy pain) and I can see where sports journalism would really suck. My brother originally wanted to do sports journalism, but instead he's doing more PR (he's a sports media relations intern at The University of Maryland) and he absolutely loves it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That's part of the reason why I went into copy editing. The hours can suck, but you get a lot of the fun aspects of journalism without a lot of the hassle.

I actually just got a part-time gig with a national sports site. Hopefully the easier schedule will help keep me from burning out like I did last time.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

nasboat posted:

what I found particularly grating was that I drifted into sportswriting because I could write and I love sports -- seemed obvious. Then I spent night after night missing the actual sporting events that I enjoy watching, instead having to write 20 inches on a 78-25 blowout win in a high school girls' basketball game.

(well that and the pay)

e: combine that with the fact that print journalism is dying, the places you'd work up to are laying people off left and right, so there's no spots to try and aim for -- and the lower rungs of the ladder are being fought over by people who are overqualified for the position but need work. Poor pay and terrible prospects for the future.

Before college, I chose between going for sports journalism or teaching. I'm happy to know that I was smart in avoiding sports journalism. Unfortunately the same poo poo applies to teaching.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jackofarcades posted:

Before college, I chose between going for sports journalism or teaching. I'm happy to know that I was smart in avoiding sports journalism. Unfortunately the same poo poo applies to teaching.

Things are tough all over.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm kind of in the same boat: worked my rear end in in J-School, interned at a national newsroom and found out the hard way that covering sports sucks, as does the pay: last summer I interviewed for an editorial job that paid literally $14 an hour, with about 20 hours a week.

I've thought about going back to get a Masters in journalism at Ryerson, but I'm pretty sure that'd just be like throwing my savings in a dumpster.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

barkingclam posted:

I'm kind of in the same boat: worked my rear end in in J-School, interned at a national newsroom and found out the hard way that covering sports sucks, as does the pay: last summer I interviewed for an editorial job that paid literally $14 an hour, with about 20 hours a week.

I've thought about going back to get a Masters in journalism at Ryerson, but I'm pretty sure that'd just be like throwing my savings in a dumpster.

Two of my good friends went back for master's degrees in journalism at Mizzou. One's at the New York Times, the other is currently unemployed.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The only good entry-level jobs in sports journalism are supplementary ones; you need to be doing something else to pay rent while you blog/write columns until someone picks you up. And then blog and column while working your day job until you have enough separate freelance revenue streams that you can stop the day job and just focus in on the writing.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Yeah really, it's unbelievably difficult to break in, even in smaller markets. Forget breaking in at a major city publication right out of school.

The emergence of blogs and the like has been terrific, but those obviously don't pay. Journalism, sadly, is not a desirable field right now and probably won't be for a while moving forward. At least until there's some sort of shift in approach and a subsequent hiring boom. But who knows when that'll happen?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Yeah really, it's unbelievably difficult to break in, even in smaller markets. Forget breaking in at a major city publication right out of school.

It depends on what you mean by breaking in. It's pretty easy to get a job covering high school games out in the suburbs.

It helps to be really, really good at your job, though. Dave Ubben at ESPN was a few years behind me in school, and a lot of guys twice his age would kill to be where he's at right now.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Crion posted:

The only good entry-level jobs in sports journalism are supplementary ones; you need to be doing something else to pay rent while you blog/write columns until someone picks you up. And then blog and column while working your day job until you have enough separate freelance revenue streams that you can stop the day job and just focus in on the writing.

I think this is really the more modern route and the way to go. If you want to hone your chops and get experience, you can always latch on at a small daily or even a weekly -- I started out at my local weekly (circ. ~4,500) on a salary around 20k (which is mildly livable in central KY, certainly not a good income in a big market), and actually took a paycut when I switched to a daily with a circulation of roughly 12k. But if you're going to do that, you need to supplement with freelance writing and personal work as well, as Crion said.

Really, the internet has opened up so many new outlets for people to get their writing out there and newspapers are still struggling to catch up, I think -- and the smart writers realized that early and capitalized on it.

Me? I'm happy to sell out and take a state job* with a pretty good salary and benefits while getting to watch all of my favorite sports.

*admittedly it is a job that can be depressing as hell, but it pays the bills

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ribsauce posted:

Colin Cowherd being a legitmate creep on his national ESPN show.

http://deadspin.com/5885390/kate-upton-hangs-up-on-colin-cowherd-after-he-asks-what-shes-wearing-how-much-she-gets-paid

"How many guys ask you out Kate, how many guys ask you out?"
"Are you in sweat pants now?"

Kate Upton, Michigan fan, hung up on Colin Cowherd. If only Michael Rosenberg had a radio show, so she could hang up on him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

haljordan posted:

How much longer will old school journalists be able to get away with making GBS threads on the Internet? Its not like is an invention that just popped up last week. To me, it seems like people realize that more and more writers have a voice now and won't put up with the same trite garbage that's been filling columns for years.
One thing some other people have sort of touched on (and sort of not) is that it's not totally unreasonable the way a lot of these older writers poo poo on the internet, mainly because of how they're forced to engage it. At one point, they were print journalists, on the hook for X stories per week and Y columns per week, and then new managing editors and journalistic models told them that, "Uh, sorry, you're going to get the same amount of pay, but you have to file the same amount of copy, and, on top of that, Z blog posts per day. Also, you need to get a Twitter account."

A lot of guys who were in it just as print journalists were obliged to become bloggers to undercut the blog market; then they were obliged to become "web personalities," so people were reading them in blogs, columns and Twitter as much for persona as for news. Add TV, and it's just exhausting. It's entirely possible Ryan wanted to re-up with the Globe as just a straight columnist/writer, and their model can't afford that kind of limited presence. It's probably easier to say goodbye to all that, take a year off and then write a cool-rear end book.

Crion posted:

This is one of those things that makes me love and hate sabermetrics and wonky blogs about contracts and poo poo, because there are all these talented dudes with jobs as statisticians, market analysts and attorneys who really don't give a poo poo that they're turning in 2,000-word columns for $50. They don't need to care. Although this isn't exclusive to sports journalism. Almost all media review is dominated by happy fans who just want to share their opinions and will glut the market. You can write a smart 1,000-word review of a new history book and not only be on the hook for obtaining your own copy but be obliged to spend 10 hours reading it and cash a lavish $30 check for your troubles.

barkingclam posted:

But... you could study with the word ronin...

Only registered members can see post attachments!