Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

devmd01 posted:

Welp, guess I should have jumped on to order sooner.
You can buy the non branded one and use it. Someone posted the model in the boxee forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So today I noticed that all my machines had the Airplay icon available.

Not owning an AppleTV I clicked the button to see what was up. Sure enough the Boxee supports airplay now! Tried it briefly and it played a picture slideshow and a 720 clip off my album roll.

Rad.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

Downs Patrol posted:

Anyone still have issues playing back MKV files? My audio track cuts, then comes right back? Happens with DTS,DTS-HD,Master , and true-hd, so i dont think its a certain codec. Also, this is ran through a 5400rpm usb 3.0 interface drive. Still needing tax money to build a NAS.

Speaking of such, any known issues regarding streaming large (30gb) files over SMB from a NAS?

I don't have any issues with MKVs with audio or streaming. As long as you can get speeds of over 4MB/s you should be able to stream blu-ray copies just fine.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Don Lapre posted:

You can buy the non branded one and use it. Someone posted the model in the boxee forums

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034

This one? The exterior looks identical. Either way, I can wait...don't want to spend an additional $30 just for the instant gratification.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

devmd01 posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116034

This one? The exterior looks identical. Either way, I can wait...don't want to spend an additional $30 just for the instant gratification.

Yea, thats it i believe. Havn't personally tested though. Its $67 on amazon with free shipping

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Downs Patrol posted:

Anyone still have issues playing back MKV files? My audio track cuts, then comes right back? Happens with DTS,DTS-HD,Master , and true-hd, so i dont think its a certain codec. Also, this is ran through a 5400rpm usb 3.0 interface drive. Still needing tax money to build a NAS.

Speaking of such, any known issues regarding streaming large (30gb) files over SMB from a NAS?

Yes this is a well known and well documented issue. They say the fix will be released in a future firmware.

Their last update on the status was in November:

"Finally it seems that Intel has resolved the bug in the HDMI driver that causes the audio drop outs. We have run some tests on our end and we can no longer reproduce it on our development boxes. This still requires further testing but it's looking good.

The "bad news" is that in order to get this fix we will need to update to a newer Intel SDK that includes this fix. This SDK will require us a to perform a chain of certifications which will take a while to complete. We are currently targeting a February - March release. It's still too early to commit to a specific date.

I'll keep you posted on progress. "

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I was having issues with sound. It seemed the volume slider only had 2 options. Super loud and distorted, or nearly mute. And it would alternate, 0%,10%,130%,10%,130%10%,130%,10%,130%. The updated bug fix firmware fixed this for me. Not sure if its related to the issue that you and Downs Patrol are talking about or not..

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Looks like another beta release: New Beta 1 Firmware 1.5.1.23679 (7th Feb)

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=53730

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What the hell. That wasn't there when I posted the other link. They're trying to make me look like a fool!

I've not had any troubles listed in the bug fix, so I'll probably skip that one for now. So far everything has been pretty good with the Feb 1 bug fix.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
been a while since I've followed this thread so forgive me if this is a common question.

Are people still having issues with cover art/album art/app icons caching?

The last release dramatically improved streaming for me, the buffering issues seem to have gotten a lot better but my movie art still loads incredibly slowly as I'm browsing. I only have ~350 movies but it still seems to be choking.

Is there a setting I should be changing? should I clear my cache and let it rebuild or something?

I really wish they'd enable thumb-drive caching and be done with it, it's probably my single biggest complaint about the boxee UI now.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

my reputation is built upon a solid foundation of bananas

Cornjob posted:

Yes this is a well known and well documented issue. They say the fix will be released in a future firmware.

Their last update on the status was in November:

"Finally it seems that Intel has resolved the bug in the HDMI driver that causes the audio drop outs. We have run some tests on our end and we can no longer reproduce it on our development boxes. This still requires further testing but it's looking good.

The "bad news" is that in order to get this fix we will need to update to a newer Intel SDK that includes this fix. This SDK will require us a to perform a chain of certifications which will take a while to complete. We are currently targeting a February - March release. It's still too early to commit to a specific date.

I'll keep you posted on progress. "

Its not just HDMI , i get cut outs with TOSLINK as well? Im going to try the AV jacks and see if its just a bandwidth thing as well.

On another note, i just switched everything over to a gigabit backed NAS so we'll see how it works streaming mkv's , vs before it was on a usb 2.0 drive.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What's a good, easy, one-button program for ripping DVDs and BDs into mkv?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I use makemkv which I believe is freeware. It doesn't offer much in the way of tweaking data rates though, Ripped dvd's come through at around 3gb so I assume they retain their full video quality or close.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What about Handbrake?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Bah, Boxee just lost the artwork to all of my shows, despite them all still being in the same local directories that they have always been in. Time for the "rename folders and scan" shuffle.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

Like some others said, makemkv is the best ive used by far. It does allow you to select out the caption and audio tracks. Average size for a blu-ray is about 20-30gb in mkv, and takes around 1ish hrs to complete. Most blu-rays are recorded on anywhere from 1x material to 4x from what ive seen. I use a sony 600u usb drive that works pretty good.

edit: This program, works best ive seen on linux. I used it on windows and osx 10.7, but its off and on as far as working goes.

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!

I'll third MakeMKV. There have only been a few discs I have problem ripping. If that happens I still use MakeMKV to Copy the whole disc to the hard drive, then rip from the files on the hd. Works every time. Then if you want to make the usual 23-30gb mkv file smaller, I use Handbrake. Probably not the best out there but it works. I have a 720p projector I use so I make all my movies 720p.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

FreakyZoid posted:

Bah, Boxee just lost the artwork to all of my shows, despite them all still being in the same local directories that they have always been in. Time for the "rename folders and scan" shuffle.

does this honestly do the trick for cover-art caching?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Always has for me. Rename the folder, rescan. Rename it back, rescan again. Also works if you want it to pick up any TV show nfo changes you've made.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

FreakyZoid posted:

Always has for me. Rename the folder, rescan. Rename it back, rescan again. Also works if you want it to pick up any TV show nfo changes you've made.

well that's pretty lame, but if it does the job I'm definitely going to give it a shot. My movie covers haven't been caching properly for a long time now, then again app art doesn't even really cache properly.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

Anyone have issues with Airplay and the new beta build? I get alot of choppy buffering and it crashes the boxee if you pause and re-start the music?

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Is the Boxee Box ~$100 better than the high end Roku2? Goals are mounting network shares and Netflix instant, primarily.
Roku would be nice for the Amazon instant video thing, but potentially annoying for the sort of hacky method of network streaming.

I'm coming from a hacked first gen apple TV running XBMC I bought off a friend who won it back in 2007. It locks up at least once per night, requiring a hard reboot, and sometimes has random issues with shows like not being able to play a file, or crashing to finder in the middle of a file. So basically anything modern would be a step up.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I like turtles posted:

Is the Boxee Box ~$100 better than the high end Roku2? Goals are mounting network shares and Netflix instant, primarily.
Roku would be nice for the Amazon instant video thing, but potentially annoying for the sort of hacky method of network streaming.

I'm coming from a hacked first gen apple TV running XBMC I bought off a friend who won it back in 2007. It locks up at least once per night, requiring a hard reboot, and sometimes has random issues with shows like not being able to play a file, or crashing to finder in the middle of a file. So basically anything modern would be a step up.

I don't think Roku can play local content over network shares, unless something changed recently.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

There's a plex private app. I'm hesitant because it's third party and running yet another service on my old desktop that has been masquerading as the home file server for the last 4 years probably won't be very successful

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

You have to setup Plex. It works, but not nearly as well as boxee. Especially for HD content.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Boxee owns bones for local content, but put that poo poo on a wired connection. I only use mine to stream local stuff.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I'd love to have Boxee but I have no way of actually wiring the connection up & router is only 100mbit, not gigabit.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Odette posted:

I'd love to have Boxee but I have no way of actually wiring the connection up & router is only 100mbit, not gigabit.

I'm doing well with a D-Link-825 and 720p content on a NFS server (Q-NAP 419p), though 1080p content is likely a bit too much for wireless.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm streaming 720p over Wireless N pretty well currently (after the 1.5 update) but the cover art cache issue is still a pain in my rear end. It doesn't seem like this is an issue related to wired vs. wireless. Can anyone else that's wired confirm that this is an issue for you as well? I'm sure not everybody experiences it but it'd be good to know if it's not isolated to folks using their boxee wirelessly.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Powerline adapters work pretty well just make sure you can return them since they are finicky sometimes. Mine work great though.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kri kri posted:

Powerline adapters work pretty well just make sure you can return them since they are finicky sometimes. Mine work great though.

this. powerline adapters are great. my house is over 100 years old and it still supports decent transfer speed on the 200mbps units.

the newer netgear ones do up to 500mbit if the lines are good enough.

I had my boxee in my old house running on the powerline adapters and had no issue doing 1080P, so gigabit isnt always necessary.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Laserface posted:

this. powerline adapters are great. my house is over 100 years old and it still supports decent transfer speed on the 200mbps units.

the newer netgear ones do up to 500mbit if the lines are good enough.

I had my boxee in my old house running on the powerline adapters and had no issue doing 1080P, so gigabit isnt always necessary.

Would 100mbit be fast enough for full 1080p? As that's pretty much the max speed of my router.

Downs Patrol
Dec 16, 2004

Odette posted:

Would 100mbit be fast enough for full 1080p? As that's pretty much the max speed of my router.

I had a bit of buffering doing bluray mkv's over my old netgear 100mbit. I upgraded to a gbit cisco and its smooth as can be, even on the new crappy beta release.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Odette posted:

Full blu-ray tops out at about 40Mbit peaks so if we are talking a further compressed 1080p file, then you have lots of headroom on 100Mbit. I used to stream 1080p over 100Mbit a while ago just fine. Obviously your experience will vary depending on how much network activity you have while streaming.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 16, 2012

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have had my Boxee Box for over a year now attached via 100mbit and it will handle full on 1080p Blu-Ray poo poo without any issue at all.

I still haven't found a file that this thing won't play or has problems with.

Router is a Netgear WNR3500L with DD-WRT on it, if that makes any difference.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Boxee box is only 10/100 anyway.

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I haven't had any trouble streaming 1080p files to my boxee with wireless. The router I have it just an AT&T 2Wire. I honestly don't even know if it's N.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally got the shipping notification for the boxee tv dongle. :hellyeah:

T-7 Days to cutting the cord entirely!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
How are you guys "cutting the cord" with a TV tuner when you have to subscribe to the service from your cable provider to use it?

Also I am getting really, really annoyed that this box absolutely refuses to find cover art or even thumbnails for the images on the home screen. Everything is just the placeholder image again. UUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHH LET US CACHE THE loving THINGS ON AN SD CARD, gently caress i'm spergin out here

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tantalus
Feb 11, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

How are you guys "cutting the cord" with a TV tuner when you have to subscribe to the service from your cable provider to use it?

You don't have to subscribe to a service. It comes with an antenna for OTA programming.

• Locked thread