Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

mixitwithblop posted:

What do you mean you don't want to play with our new match ball?

Is that the ball for your league? Poor you if so.

Playing tonight and it's going to be hovering around 0-1 degrees Celsius and I'm not looking forward to it at all. I could just brave it and play in shorts but then seriously, gently caress that.

Might just play in a balaclava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Play in shorts you fanny. If you're wearing proper socks it'll be fine.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Play in shorts you fanny. If you're wearing proper socks it'll be fine.

Yeah, I'll probably just warm up in my trackies. Judging from the teams, should be a really quick game anyway. OK, I'll do it Zaph.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Hallowed Turban posted:

Yeah, I'll probably just warm up in my trackies. Judging from the teams, should be a really quick game anyway. OK, I'll do it Zaph.

Yeah, your legs aren't what'll freeze. Bring gloves or glove liners at the least.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

i would really like it if the pitches would stop being frozen so i could actually play some loving football before the end of the term. that would be nice. ffs.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah, your legs aren't what'll freeze. Bring gloves or glove liners at the least.

I've lost my gloves, I've only got a stupid set I cut the fingers off. Need to get some new ones, was looking at these just now coincidentally;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_i=468294

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods

cosmicjim posted:

Wonderful, a thread where I get to talk about how awesome I am.
I play in a 11v11 league in Huntsville, Alabama.
The team makes me play stopper on defense. I'm trying to get more playing time as midfield and forward, now that I feel our other defensive guys have gotten good enough to not rely on me chasing everything down.

Here's a nice collage of people trying to murder me....
http://imgur.com/a/HGwBC
The picture where the guy has my shirt, he also has my shorts giving me an atomic wedgie. Somehow, the gf's and wives taking pictures on the side have a knack for capturing photos of me being fouled.

My team is about to start its 3rd season. We won 4th division our first season and moved to 3rd division. Unfortunately, our second season we got out to a slow start and ended up 3rd. We split games with both teams that finished ahead of us(won 1 and lost 1 against each). We've already scrimmaged the team relegated to our division this season and the 2 teams that moved up into our division this season and murdered all 3 of them, and were dominant against the teams remaining in our division last season, so hopefully we will make it to second division next season.

I can further explain if that was confusing and anyone actually cares.

EDIT - Also, where do we talk about our shoes? Do we do that here, or is there a thread for shoe talk?

Haha, I play in the same league as you, but up in the 1st division. Have fun playing against MY DAD's team. I have to go practice/scrimmage in an hour and I really hope its above freezing. I've been cold just sitting inside the house.

I play stopper and score exactly one goal per season.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Had our first game of the season outdoors tonight, was a nice open pitch, even with 6 a side, so managed to get a good run and feel the first spring air in my lungs.

Ended 6-7 to the other team, with them scoring in the last 10 seconds or so. One player on our team, Muzz, who incicdentally blew £100 on a night out 'on the piss' on Saturday, managed to bag 5 of our goals. Our other player "Schmeegs" who scores bucketloads on the indoor pitches, managed to squander about 8 chances.

I myself got a nice run about. Played a number of good passes and set up 3 of our teams goals. Had a nice 'heart in mouth' save when I glanced a shot onto the post which rebounded onto my rear end and almost crossed the line. Also, since it's me who organises it, I made £4 profit. Back to indoors tomorrow night.

Incidentally, this is about the only marginal sucess I've had sportswise in the past week. Lost a bet with an old school friend on the Super Bowl. My team got pumped 5-1 in its local derby, Scotland got beat my Wales in the rugby. Been a bad one.

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 12, 2012

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Voted Alligator posted:

Haha, I play in the same league as you, but up in the 1st division. Have fun playing against MY DAD's team. I have to go practice/scrimmage in an hour and I really hope its above freezing. I've been cold just sitting inside the house.

I play stopper and score exactly one goal per season.

Awesome, what team are you on and what is your dad's team? I'm on Lake Forest FC.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It never gets less entertaining reading all of these scores with 9+ goals in them, when in the leagues we play in here 4 is a massive haul. Either you guys attack a lot better than we do or defence is an unknown concept...

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

iajanus posted:

It never gets less entertaining reading all of these scores with 9+ goals in them, when in the leagues we play in here 4 is a massive haul. Either you guys attack a lot better than we do or defence is an unknown concept...
i play inter-college at oxford and at 3rd xi level, sometimes even 2nd xi level, there are these massive scorelines now and again. sometimes it's because a team is absolutely awful (though i'm still not sure sometimes how they're THAT awful; there's a team that's gone W0 D0 L7 F7 A53 this season including 9-0, 12-0 and 14-0 losses and i really don't even loving know), but sometimes it just all goes wrong; we lost 9-1 earlier in the year and though i wasn't there for that i understand it was just a matter of maybe a couple of poor/new/undisciplined players and everything going south from there.

at the top level, with people who actually train and play with each other regularly, those scorelines don't happen basically. but when it's pretty much bring your boots get a game, well.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just bought these...

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Mizuno-Football-Boots-Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-MD-Boots-Pearl-GreenBlackRed-37583.aspx

I'm going to get kicked, a lot.

Kangaroo leather and they weigh 6oz(170g in foreigner), gotta be worth it. I'll also be one of very very few people in the US wearing them as Mizuno doesn't import football boots to America.

I'm excited.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

Shrapnac posted:

I just bought these...

http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/Products/Mizuno-Football-Boots-Mizuno-Morelia-Neo-MD-Boots-Pearl-GreenBlackRed-37583.aspx

I'm going to get kicked, a lot.

Kangaroo leather and they weigh 6oz(170g in foreigner), gotta be worth it. I'll also be one of very very few people in the US wearing them as Mizuno doesn't import football boots to America.

I'm excited.
green boots :staredog:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The Anime Knower posted:

green boots :staredog:

I have a problem, and it's loving green boots.

A sample of the last few boots I've owned...

I make no apologies.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I have that bottom pair

I love them but wish they weren't so bright :(

Voted Alligator
Apr 13, 2005
shpoods

cosmicjim posted:

Awesome, what team are you on and what is your dad's team? I'm on Lake Forest FC.

Blue Lasers and Madness. Apparently I'm in better shape than anyone else on my team and I've been spending the last couple of weeks sitting on my rear end and eating tamales. Not a good sign but I might get some more rotation through the midfield this way. Had some good runs and almost scored yesterday.

Those green boots look awesome. I want a pair especially since the pair I have now is going to need to be replaced by the end of the spring if I'm VERY lucky. I used to be very against any color but black, but after a few seasons of rocking white boots I just don't care anymore.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

I've posted them before but;

Best Astros I've ever had to be honest.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

I'm so old.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Voted Alligator posted:

Blue Lasers and Madness. Apparently I'm in better shape than anyone else on my team and I've been spending the last couple of weeks sitting on my rear end and eating tamales. Not a good sign but I might get some more rotation through the midfield this way. Had some good runs and almost scored yesterday.

Those green boots look awesome. I want a pair especially since the pair I have now is going to need to be replaced by the end of the spring if I'm VERY lucky. I used to be very against any color but black, but after a few seasons of rocking white boots I just don't care anymore.

I'm familiar with your team, but I don't remember if I know any of you guys. We scrimmaged madness a few weekends ago at dublin park.

We would have played in the 6v6 this past weekend too, but it got postponed. Should be this weekend if the weather is ok.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Xylorjax posted:

I'm so old.

Still the best boots I've ever owned.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

I've posted them before but;

Best Astros I've ever had to be honest.

Yes, I own these but in a different colour:

Pretty good shoes imo.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Anyone have any advice for quickening the healing of a Quadriceps Strain? Happened on Friday. I only feel it when I strike a ball. Passing, running, etc... no problem. I have an ice bag, hot water bottle, and epsom salts but I figured there might be something else I could try?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Only advice I have is compression wrap it or get a compression sleeve for it, while you play. The best thing to do for healing is to rest it, but that's no fun.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

mixitwithblop posted:

Anyone have any advice for quickening the healing of a Quadriceps Strain? Happened on Friday. I only feel it when I strike a ball. Passing, running, etc... no problem. I have an ice bag, hot water bottle, and epsom salts but I figured there might be something else I could try?

I pulled my quad in a match a couple years ago. Took a corner kick and felt like I got stabbed. Tried to jog back into position and fell over on my face, that was fun. I was in the same boat as you, after a week or two I could run, sprint, cut,whatever but was in dizzying pain when I tried to strike a ball. Only advice I can give you is to rest and avoid a kicking motion. I was out for about 5 weeks before I could kick a ball without pain. Ice is probably your best bet for something like that but it's going to take time to heal. It's a big muscle.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Shrapnac posted:

I pulled my quad in a match a couple years ago. Took a corner kick and felt like I got stabbed. Tried to jog back into position and fell over on my face, that was fun. I was in the same boat as you, after a week or two I could run, sprint, cut,whatever but was in dizzying pain when I tried to strike a ball. Only advice I can give you is to rest and avoid a kicking motion. I was out for about 5 weeks before I could kick a ball without pain. Ice is probably your best bet for something like that but it's going to take time to heal. It's a big muscle.

I've never had IB (iliotibial band) problems until I started playing soccer, but now it seems like my right leg is less flexible due to tightness on the outside of my right knee. That's a really hard area to stretch, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (or worse).

pintxo
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Have you guys tried foam rolling? It's like a cheap massage, won't help if you're already injured but might prevent it in the future.

Ming the Merciless
Aug 10, 2005
You're a beard with an idiot hanging off of it.

Fryhtaning posted:

I've never had IB (iliotibial band) problems until I started playing soccer, but now it seems like my right leg is less flexible due to tightness on the outside of my right knee. That's a really hard area to stretch, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (or worse).

Foam-rolling for all your rehab needs! Here is a good guide.

e:f;b

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
I am so happy.

We played our final group match in the cup competition last night. The previous week the team one spot above us, with a played 3 lost 3 record like us, whipped us 13-1. It was embarrassing. A few lads dropped out and I had to convince one or two to hang on just for one more game.

Last night, we came up against a team just below the promotion spots who needed to win to definitely progress. If they'd have seen the league's website and just how bad we have been (scored 7 conceded 44) they would have reason to be optimistic.

However, with black armbands to commemorate the death of Football (RIP), we managed to win. Tinpotters 2 AFC 1 the final score. We were 1-0 down at half time too, and their keeper played an absolute blinder, making three crucial saves. Cruelly, he spilled a long range effort that our forward following in nudged past him to equalise and a great set of passing moves from defense to the wing allowed a sweet drilled cross into the middle to be sidefooted under the keeper.

We were finally talking to one another, communicating positions and putting names on passes. Heads were up. Players glided across the park looking for the pass. It was beautiful and although we were hanging on towards the end slightly, we celebrated like we'd won the World Cup.

The other highlights including me cutting inside to the near post for a corner only for my looping header to land on the roof of the net at the far post. Considering I don't know how to head a ball, it was a great achievement.

Also, our midfield general managed to foul one of their hot headed players with a few minutes to go. It was a bad foul that sent the lad sprawling, but our player went with him with his hand down to shake hands and apologise. Nope. Fouled played jumped to his feet, squared up with our lad and promised to "break his loving jaw." The referee pushed him away, his team mates told him to grow the gently caress up, and the league's administrator who organises the games stood on the touchline calling him a "loving knobhead." He was the one who had been fouled! Our lad apologised to the referee for the challenge and walked off. Moments late, the hothead gave our general a good hack from behind when we had the ball. Our lad spun round, smiled at him and exclaimed "look lad, you've gone looking for that, pack it in." They don't like it up them, when they're losing, or when you politely explain to them you know what they're up to.

I really, really hope the opposition don't take the league too seriously because if they do, and they checked the league's website (the bottom set of tables, second division) they will see they were beaten by arguably the worst team in the pyramid.

No games next week, a week off thanks to the college having an open day. I'm gutted. Bring 'em on.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
One of my 6 a side teams quit a league because that squaring up stuff was happening every week.

One of the rules we had was you were not allowed to slide tackle but if you were blocking a shot away from any players you could slide to reach the ball. Basically there was a bit of leeway if you were not challenging a player.

The funniest instance I remember was one week I made a rare outfield appearance and I made a slide to block one shot, which got complaints from this guy. Then I slid to block a pass which again got complaints from the same chap but the ref said it was fine.

The 3rd thing that happened was I tackled a striker (standing) and it meant I won the ball facing my keeper and the striker on my back.

I intended to backpass but for some reason I slipped and ended knocking the ball about 8-10 yards towards my own goal - but the way I did it looked like a slide tackle because I fell at it as I intended to pass. The ref waved play on because it was obvious what had happened but the striker was moaning again.

Anyway, I chased the 10 yards to get the ball, had time to turn and look to clear. However the next thing I see is the striker with red mist in his eyes charging for me. You know the next part, he puts a slide in, I just knocked it past him and jumped over it - the ref blew the whistle straight away.

I walked past this guy, cheeky pat on the stomach and said you'll need to be quicker than that lad... This enraged him enough to start on me and he got sin binned haha. Don't mind a bit of gamesmanship me...

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Our league employs the same no sliding rule too. A good few weeks ago an oppo striker rounded our keeper beautifully and slotted it into the net. I was rushing back and slid into the goal with the ball just missing the interception. As I trudged back to centre the referee reminded me 'no sliding mate'. Do gently caress off.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Generally we don't care if you do a slide tackle as long as it wasn't intentionally to hurt someone. Yeah its a game of football, scrapes and poo poo happen, although since we are playing on relatively rough ground, you'll prolly end up worse off for sliding about. Hell, we don't seem to give a poo poo about "no touching by non-keeper inside box" thesedays.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

angry armadillo posted:

I intended to backpass but for some reason I slipped and ended knocking the ball about 8-10 yards towards my own goal - but the way I did it looked like a slide tackle because I fell at it as I intended to pass. The ref waved play on because it was obvious what had happened but the striker was moaning again.

Lol, this is pretty funny.

We don't play with slide tackles either and I'm so used to the ball never being above shoulder height generally now, having not played 11-a-side for ages. My mates took me along to this pitch nearby and we ended up playing an 11-a-side game this week against a bunch of lads that were there, a bunch of hackney lads.

We ended up winning 4-2 after about 70 minutes play which I felt was a pretty good result, especially since between me and a friend in defence, we kept their striker very quiet. This made me happy as I later found out he had trials at Arsenal, but I beat him to every header and was tight to him throughout the game.

Happy with that!!

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

Fryhtaning posted:

I had tons of IT band problems, and a really good stretch is to lay flat on your back and take the afflicted leg and pull it over and try to bring your knee to the ground without letting your shoulder blade off the ground.
Kind of like how this well drawn man is doing it, but laying down:

Also the lunge stretch gets a real big stretch the whole quad area. The thing you should do if you're always tight is to make sure you stretch every day, even when you're not playing. My IT Band and hip was so tight it was causing not only tightness/pain in my upper-leg but also dehabilitating knee pain, even while at rest, (and led to problems with my knee being pulled to the outside), now I'm in no pain since I started stretching every day. Well, still in all sorts of pain but none relevant to the stretches.

grvm fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 17, 2012

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

What stretches/warmup routine do you guys have? I do a few token stretches before a game but nothing major, I figured a proper warmup routine will stop me from feeling like poo poo during and after.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

What stretches/warmup routine do you guys have? I do a few token stretches before a game but nothing major, I figured a proper warmup routine will stop me from feeling like poo poo during and after.

A dynamic warm-up is better than a static one, so move around while you stretch. Here's a decent routine, I don't do this entire thing every time but I do a few of them before each game. I'm lucky in that I have a pitch at work and play at lunch for about an hour every day, and we've got a full fitness facility too, so I start out on the elliptical first thing and then move on to just a couple of the dynamic stretches outlined in that routine, but for weekend 11s league games I try to warm up for at least a half-hour, if not more.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing intensive. Stretch the hamstrings a bit, few jogs up and down the stairs, maybe even touch my toes a few times. I'm lazy though so YMMV

Monday night football tonight. I always perform better on Mondays because I start thinking "gotta be a team player and put the effort in here" since I know I'm one of the worse players. Sundays I always go into thinking "I'm the best...around...nothings ever gonna keep me down". Doesn't help that I organise the Sunday games which adds an element of "I run this show" to the mix.

Last night was a weird game. Teams looked even as hell but my group was double digits in front by the end. Also, big Greg scored the opening goal, never thought I'd see that. Such a joyous look on his face. I don't even know what the gently caress, spent most of the game poaching on the wing. Yet another reason for my weekend ineffectivness.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Thirteenth Step posted:

I do a bit of stretching and then some light shooting drills. I'm the keeper for my team so once I'm stretched out I pretty much just get in goal while my teammates take turns shooting. That usually gets me plenty loose.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Thirteenth Step posted:

A quick walk from the parking lot and on to the pitch usually.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Usually a mix of static stretches and short sprints. It get's to a stage where if I don't do a specific stretch properly before a game, that muscle will feel tight during the game and this is annoying since we don't have breaks.

I always used to get cramp in my calves so I usually get in a press up position and push back on my toes, bending one leg at a time to stretch the calf on the other leg. Necessary for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Did no warmup at all tonight and left with a dodgy ankle but nevermind, I scored w/ the outside of my boot into the side netting quaresma-style :hehe:

But we only drew 4-4 so par for the course I suppose