Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really like this poster, except the blurb at the top is throwing it off a bit for me.

echoplex posted:

Jesus christ, how are you even allowed to operate a computer

He's 19/20.

It freaked me out at first too.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

GonSmithe posted:

(considering I was born in '92 that makes sense)

I was four that year. I distinctly remember going to the theatre to see Alien 3 and Aladdin, respectively.

Memoriieees~.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Photoshop.jpg

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Iggy Johnson posted:

That's his finger.

I see the finger, but it looks like there is some contraption he's using to hold the kid up. I'm probably just imagining it, and they just used some photoshoppy effect. Whatever it is, I need to watch that movie again.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Desperado Bones posted:

You are lucky I don't have a Beta anymore.

Where is that Ghost Rider poster from? Is that Hebrew?

It's Hebrew with a transliteration of the title.

(the transliteration is "Ghost Rider" but the Spirit of Vengeance bit is in Hebrew)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Photoshop.jpg

Holy poo poo, looking at the cast and production credits, you think they could have hired someone with a bit more interest in the film. I'm not expecting Saul Bass, Drew Struzan or Olly Moss level work, but something a lot more eye-catching than five minutes in Photoshop.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I wonder if Lawrence Kasdan has anything to do with that movie?

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Mister Chief posted:

Photoshop.jpg

What is this? We've got a leg, a dog, an ugly, huge poorly placed barcode, and Lawrence Kasdan's name in big font three times. No indication as to what the movie is about.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Robert Denby posted:

What is this? We've got a leg, a dog, an ugly, huge poorly placed barcode, and Lawrence Kasdan's name in big font three times. No indication as to what the movie is about.
I'd wager it's about a dog?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Robert Denby posted:

It barely looks like a human leg. It might be some horrible flesh colored hoof. Is that supposed to be a high heel shoe? If so, was it drawn in Paint with the thickest brush option?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Madkal posted:

It's Hebrew with a transliteration of the title.

(the transliteration is "Ghost Rider" but the Spirit of Vengeance bit is in Hebrew)
"Ruach Shel Nekamah" not a bad translation. Movie translations can be funny, I watched Mission Impossible 3 in Jerusalem in English with Hebrew subtitles and I laughed when they said "Goddamit" and the subtitle read "l'azalzel" which best translates to "to the devil!".

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cacator posted:

It barely looks like a human leg. It might be some horrible flesh colored hoof. Is that supposed to be a high heel shoe? If so, was it drawn in Paint with the thickest brush option?

The Apple Trailers site seems to have the original photo it was cut from. Not much better, but at least it looks a bit more human there.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robert Denby posted:

I'm going to guess it's about a business woman/upperclass woman who is very stuck-up and lacks love in her life so she gets a dog. At first the dog is very messy and turns her life upside-down but then she bonds with the dog. It ends with the dog dieing because every movie about a dog ends with the dog dieing.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
It is a pretty cute dog though.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Photoshop.jpg

Nice to see QR Code getting more work. Always thought he was an underrated actor.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Kinda hard to read, though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Kinda hard to read, though.

He's only there to draw in the machine audience.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

AndyP posted:

Nice to see QR Code getting more work. Always thought he was an underrated actor.

QR Code is the most popular actor going right now. He's in everything.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

kiimo posted:

QR Code is the most popular actor going right now. He's in everything.

Here's his breakout role in "9".

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Robert Denby posted:

Here's his breakout role in "9".

Did he have some work done? He looks like he might have had some tweaking done which while I can understand it, Hollywood is beauty obsessed after all, he's just too young to start making those kind of radical changes to himself. I'm worried he'll end up like Jennifer Grey where nobody recognises him anymore.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, Barcode's kid has really come a long way :unsmith:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I liked his starting role in Martha Marcy May Marlene

Flynner Magee
Nov 24, 2005
.....bad craziness.....

All bad, but Gary Oldman is a midget...so, there is that I guess.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
Those posters look like they're each advertising a completely different movie.

And why Gary Oldman, why? You're too good for this poo poo.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Flynner Magee posted:

All bad, but Gary Oldman is a midget...so, there is that I guess.

Is he going to walk around on his knees like Yogurt in Spaceballs? This will decide whether I see this or not.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Ot is a performance of a life time. Also Tosh.o did a segment on Tiptoes.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

AndyP posted:

Those posters look like they're each advertising a completely different movie.

And why Gary Oldman, why? You're too good for this poo poo.

I saw a few clips around Youtube, I think he did an amazing job as usual. Don't blame him for the laziness of the designers for these posters.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

Desperado Bones posted:

I saw a few clips around Youtube, I think he did an amazing job as usual. Don't blame him for the laziness of the designers for these posters.

Yeah, guy plays a Marxist revolutionary who thinks that little people will only be free if they cast off their chains through violent uprising. It's pretty great.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
No, you're right Warner Brothers. That's way too classy.

Ah, now that's better.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 27, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is that moustache hastily glued or what?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It sort of looks like they were compelled to ape the Braveheart blu-ray cover for some reason.

Which, incidentally, is not bad by any means, and pretty accurately reflects "this is a movie about William Wallace" without throwing unnecessary crap in. But it's hard to see any reason to deviate from the well-known DVD/VHS box art:

It might be just a tad on the cheesy side, but it's one of the better examples of the "main character + floating stuff and some fire" trope. Everything is well-placed.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dissapointed Owl posted:

No, you're right Warner Brothers. That's way too classy.

Ah, now that's better.

I know everyone hates floating heads for some reason but there is nothing wrong with this Blu-ray cover.

Why do people want to keep using the same old design when you can create new ones?

I like showing the other two stars in this. By the way, it is MGM not Warner Bros.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

The Triumphant posted:

Yeah, guy plays a Marxist revolutionary who thinks that little people will only be free if they cast off their chains through violent uprising. It's pretty great.
You're thinking of Peter Dinklage - who is also great in this.

The Triumphant
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I've seen Robocop. Bitches, leave.

kiimo posted:

I know everyone hates floating heads for some reason but there is nothing wrong with this Blu-ray cover.

Why do people want to keep using the same old design when you can create new ones?

Because that mustache looks ridiculous.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

I like showing the other two stars in this. By the way, it is MGM not Warner Bros.

Nope, it's Warner Bros. in the UK.

The US version is MGM and has this cover:

Which is much better.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kiimo posted:

If it's still the same movie and there was nothing wrong with the original cover, I see no need to create a new one. The only logic behind it seems to be "argh, this old thing will never sell the way it is, we need something more hip and current!" which of course is the archetypal bad-reason-to-do-a-thing in any artistic endeavor.

Naturally this is all the more annoying when you're of the opinion that the new one is worse, and I'd say it is. The original cover looks like one coherent and well-composed image that shows a bunch of stuff related to the movie, whereas the new one looks like a bunch of images slapped together. It's not the worst thing ever, it's just... worse.

EDIT: The one that was just posted above is much more acceptable, even if it's still arguably unnecessary.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Sir Lemming posted:

If it's still the same movie and there was nothing wrong with the original cover, I see no need to create a new one. The only logic behind it seems to be "argh, this old thing will never sell the way it is, we need something more hip and current!" which of course is the archetypal bad-reason-to-do-a-thing in any artistic endeavor.

Naturally this is all the more annoying when you're of the opinion that the new one is worse, and I'd say it is. The original cover looks like one coherent and well-composed image that shows a bunch of stuff related to the movie, whereas the new one looks like a bunch of images slapped together. It's not the worst thing ever, it's just... worse.

Also it looks cheap.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It might be distributed internationally by Warner Bros. since, you know, MGM is out-sourcing most of that poo poo since they are a failed piece of poo poo studio with no money and only a library to sustain them (I used to work for them), in fact most of their domestic distribution is done by Fox.

But that doesn't mean the WB creatives designed their Blu-ray cover. I actually don't know for sure, that is a different building altogether but I'm pretty sure WB didn't have anything to do with that. You are right though, that is a better, more cinematic cover.

Sir Lemming posted:

I see no need to create a new one.

For international they might have an agenda like, showing a Native American's face and a woman's face rather than just having Kevin Costner's (fading) brand carry it alone. I'm sure there is a lot of research to support the decision, and I'm not even saying it is the right decision.

I still like it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

kiimo posted:

It might be distributed internationally by Warner Bros. since, you know, MGM is out-sourcing most of that poo poo since they are a failed piece of poo poo studio with no money and only a library to sustain them (I used to work for them), in fact most of their domestic distribution is done by Fox.

But that doesn't mean the WB creatives designed their Blu-ray cover. I actually don't know for sure, that is a different building altogether but I'm pretty sure WB didn't have anything to do with that. You are right though, that is a better, more cinematic cover.

For international they might have an agenda like, showing a Native American's face and a woman's face rather than just having Kevin Costner's (fading) brand carry it alone. I'm sure there is a lot of research to support the decision, and I'm not even saying it is the right decision.

I still like it.

Opinions about the cover itself aside, I think I can blame the actual publisher (ie Warner Bros.) for the cover with which they release their movie, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

The only logic behind it seems to be "argh, this old thing will never sell the way it is, we need something more hip and current!" which of course is the archetypal bad-reason-to-do-a-thing in any artistic endeavor.

I have bad news for you in regards to "artistic endeavors" vs. "movie marketing"

This is an artistic endeavor:

This is bait in order to sell you on an idea for the purpose of making money.