Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

So I just took Dressen Airport in 1.13, I don't have time to get a Bobby shipment before I get counterattacked. Should I try to take the whole of Dressen first? Or try to hold the airport and get a shipment before taking the rest? Not sure if my guns are enough.

Edit: I've got 16k, Ira, Barry, Igor and me.

More supplies. Unless you exploit the gently caress out of the AI's behavior the starting gear absolutely will not be enough to handle that counterattack. Do you have Chitzena yet? The mine there will give you a bit of daily income that should hypothetically allow you to bring in more poo poo before long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sigma-X posted:

tap alt - if you alt-tab it'll stick the alt key down, which makes your dudes moonwalk at increased AP.

You can move the view around with the arrow keys or by mousing around the corners of the screen.

I don't think the game has a windowed mode?

Huh, the alt key must have been the problem. The arrow keys work now that I restarted the game and all my dudes run around normally. I found windowed mode in the ini thing but it messes up your colourscheme which kinda sucks.

How do I pick stuff up off the floor?

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

/\/\/\
Use Ctrl to pick up stuff. It can be kinda hard to see stuff sometime, but if you enter the map menu you can rightclick your sector and choose inventory to see everything in that sector of the map.

Mister Bates posted:

More supplies. Unless you exploit the gently caress out of the AI's behavior the starting gear absolutely will not be enough to handle that counterattack. Do you have Chitzena yet? The mine there will give you a bit of daily income that should hypothetically allow you to bring in more poo poo before long.

I disabeled the counter attack. Last time I played I just cheesed it by staying insida a house and aiming all my merc at the door. I took the second square of Dressen now. Should I just try to take the mine and train a shitload of militia?

Sistergodiva fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 16, 2012

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sistergodiva posted:

So I just took Dressen Airport in 1.13, I don't have time to get a Bobby shipment before I get counterattacked.

If you only have the airport, it's a patrol, not a counter-attack. Bunker up in the East hangar or around the back of it and try to hold out with interrupts. You can always manually pull your dudes out and just come back to recapture the airport later.

Urby
May 31, 2011

MADE IN MEXICO
On my previous play through in JA2 1.13 I pretty much ignored HP bullets, believing that AP is pretty much more useful in any situation...well now do I regret not having used a HP round with the last shot I fired.

Ivan, with his trusty AKM takes aim at a hostile that suddenly turned the corner, a single shot was fired, the round hit its target, leaving the soldier wounded. The bullet having already run itself through an armored body then proceeded to travel through a wall and was finally halted by the body of some innocent child bystander. If only Ivan knew what he had done... :suicide: "bye bye"

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
I always figured taking the bottom sector in Drassen by exploiting the bar to kill everyone and then farming up money and getting 20 militia to slowly creep your way up to the airport was the best way to take it over. You get an early start on your income, finish the food quest for the rebels, get 60 militia, pick up Dmitri and get your first shipment by the time the counterattack arrives. The only problem with this is limited medkits and toolboxes if you don't start with 1-2, and you'll be using weapons you pick up.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Foehammer posted:

The windowed mode supported by 1.13 still acts pretty janky. You should have a dedicated PC for JA2 anyways :colbert:

I just exhumed my old gaming pc from 2005, it's in the living room and I'm gonna use it to run my PS2 and jagged alliance! hooray!

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

JA2 question, I can't hire any mercs from AIM, probably because a lot of mercs have died under my control. They can no longer trust me not to send them to their deaths :smith:. Is there a way to bump up my ratings with them so I can hire people again?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Getting cut off from AIM happens when you have too many deaths as compared to your progress through the game. Capturing territory and killing enemies increases that hidden progress meter and will eventually let you hire from AIM again assuming you stop losing guys.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Urby posted:

On my previous play through in JA2 1.13 I pretty much ignored HP bullets, believing that AP is pretty much more useful in any situation...well now do I regret not having used a HP round with the last shot I fired.

Ivan, with his trusty AKM takes aim at a hostile that suddenly turned the corner, a single shot was fired, the round hit its target, leaving the soldier wounded. The bullet having already run itself through an armored body then proceeded to travel through a wall and was finally halted by the body of some innocent child bystander. If only Ivan knew what he had done... :suicide: "bye bye"

Hollowpoint ammo has the potential to be sheer loving perfection. It still does stamina damage even if the armor stops it completely, and on those rare occasions that it does punch through the armor it does an absolutely terrifying amount of damage. Plus, of course, no overpenetration, which makes it a lot safer in urban environments or otherwise cluttered battlefields - which is where HP ammo really shines anyway.

Loading up all of your mercs with it is a horrible, horrible idea, but I'd highly recommend having at least one mag of it on every trooper for situational use. Depending on preference, you might even try one or two mercs using it all the time, with the rest packing AP/match/tracer/AET/whatever.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.
Just started playing 1.13 after a long time of playing vanilla JA2 and I have a question...

I know I'm playing on Expert, but what is the deal with combat STARTING the moment I load an area, and a merc getting their head literally blown off before I even get a chance to do anything? Is there a way to prevent this? It's day one for gently caress's sake!

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

ted_himself posted:

Just started playing 1.13 after a long time of playing vanilla JA2 and I have a question...

I know I'm playing on Expert, but what is the deal with combat STARTING the moment I load an area, and a merc getting their head literally blown off before I even get a chance to do anything? Is there a way to prevent this? It's day one for gently caress's sake!

Do you mean when you zipline down from the chopper?

If so then it's most likely unlucky enemy placement, try a new game to see if it works better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright, I made a thread for BiA:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466988

Just so we can have all our questions and answers in one thread instead of confusing people in this thread.

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

Goon Success Story. Buy my bestselling book "How to make Old and Bald Work for YOU" available now at my house.

Koorisch posted:

Do you mean when you zipline down from the chopper?

If so then it's most likely unlucky enemy placement, try a new game to see if it works better.

No this is just the average "walking along the road and get ambushed" combat.

I just had a fight where my 6 mercs were up against what I have counted so far as 15 hostiles. In a cornfield it's not too bad, but we've got pistols and have run out of ammo already! This is waaaay harder than I remember it being.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

ted_himself posted:

No this is just the average "walking along the road and get ambushed" combat.

I just had a fight where my 6 mercs were up against what I have counted so far as 15 hostiles. In a cornfield it's not too bad, but we've got pistols and have run out of ammo already! This is waaaay harder than I remember it being.

I noticed this too but, I think it's a good thing. It's an ambush. You were ambushed. You will be eating lots of lead. My suggestion: don't go there yet. (Go around! :eng101:)

Pyrion Flax
Nov 30, 2002

crashdome posted:

I noticed this too but, I think it's a good thing. It's an ambush. You were ambushed. You will be eating lots of lead. My suggestion: don't go there yet. (Go around! :eng101:)

I don't mind, but I can't even get to Drassen! I have been unable to even get to the airport without getting ambushed and having to reload. Makes me think it's going to be drat near impossible later on.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

ted_himself posted:

I don't mind, but I can't even get to Drassen! I have been unable to even get to the airport without getting ambushed and having to reload. Makes me think it's going to be drat near impossible later on.

First and foremost, stay off the drat roads. That's where the patrols are, and eventually you absolutely WILL get ambushed by one of them. Stick to the wilderness until you're confident in your team's ability to handle the occasional ambush.

When you actually are ambushed, have the entire team haul rear end to cover immediately, even if it means you'll miss a few easy kill shots. If there's no cover, use smoke, hit the deck, or at the very least spray auto-fire indiscriminately everywhere - you likely won't kill any but the suppression will give you some breathing room. If you don't think you'll be able to handle the attackers, try to punch a hole through their lines and run like hell. Cover your retreat with smoke or teargas if you have it (and you really should).

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I'm at day 15 & I've only taken Drassen and the far West town. Now I'm getting emails about being too slow, and Drassen mine is about to dry up in a few days. I'm also kinda low on cash. Am I hosed?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ted_himself posted:

Just to clarify, an ambush is a very different thing from just running into dudes on the road. Ambush means the enemy is placed all around you and shoots the hell out of you right off the bat. Just running into guys as usual on the road means they'll be spread out across the sector. And yeah, Expert is pretty hard. If you're seeing 15 guys you probably had the bad luck of having two patrols in adjacent sectors and they reinforced each other, you can turn off that behavior in the INI so you only have to fight one sector's worth of guys at a time.

dud root posted:

I'm at day 15 & I've only taken Drassen and the far West town. Now I'm getting emails about being too slow, and Drassen mine is about to dry up in a few days. I'm also kinda low on cash. Am I hosed?
Probably not. As long as you aren't totally out of money with contracts about to expire you should be able to make it down to Cambria, take the mine and a few town sectors to get some more cash flow. You can ignore those whining emails from Enrico, they don't have any actual gameplay effects in 1.13.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

dud root posted:

The 'YOU ARE SLOW' emails don't do anything in 1.13 (in vanilla you get a drop in town loyalty a maximum of two times). Most games one of the mines will have a random event that makes them run out. IF you can run of the western mine until you capture something else you're still good.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

The 'YOU ARE SLOW' emails don't do anything in 1.13 (in vanilla you get a drop in town loyalty a maximum of two times). Most games one of the mines will have a random event that makes them run out. IF you can run of the western mine until you capture something else you're still good.

On average, around how long does it take a mine to run out?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

I'm having issues in my first game with JA2, I keep running into ambushes before I've even got to drassen. I ran into one on the road that I beat without too much trouble so I decided to go through the wilderness and now I've run into an ambush of 8 guys with SMGs when all I have are pistols.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

CerebralDonut posted:

On average, around how long does it take a mine to run out?

It's a random event that happens exactly once. There's no real timeline to it - sometimes it happens annoyingly early, other times you don't see it until you've already captured most of the towns.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm having issues in my first game with JA2, I keep running into ambushes before I've even got to drassen. I ran into one on the road that I beat without too much trouble so I decided to go through the wilderness and now I've run into an ambush of 8 guys with SMGs when all I have are pistols.

That's....actually pretty weird. I don't think I've ever been ambushed in the wilderness before. What map grid square is it? Also, was it an actual ambush, or did you just encounter a group of enemies?

Incidentally, if you just absolutely cannot stand ambushes, they can be disabled by changing a single line in the .ini file. That's cheating, though, and cheating's no fun. A non-cheat way to avoid them is to get someone with the Scout trait on your team - having one reduces your chance of being ambushed and increases your chance of turning it around and ambushing the enemy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

So in 1.13 you can take as long as you want to beat the game? I was always worried that I'm going too slow when I'm trying to learn the game and experimenting, it'd be good to know that there's no time limit on my futzing around.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Yes, 1.13 has no time limit. Vanilla doesn't either, you just lose town loyalty a few times if you take too long between battles.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

That's....actually pretty weird. I don't think I've ever been ambushed in the wilderness before. What map grid square is it? Also, was it an actual ambush, or did you just encounter a group of enemies?

Incidentally, if you just absolutely cannot stand ambushes, they can be disabled by changing a single line in the .ini file. That's cheating, though, and cheating's no fun. A non-cheat way to avoid them is to get someone with the Scout trait on your team - having one reduces your chance of being ambushed and increases your chance of turning it around and ambushing the enemy.

It was D11 I dunno if it was an ambush or just a group of enemies but it was really pretty terrible.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For whatever reason there's always a group of 6 to 10 soldiers camped out in E11 one tile south of where you are, so they may have seen you (enemy detection of your force is influenced by a number of factors and is calculated at regular intervals if you're adjacent to any enemies) and moved to intercept.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

It almost feels like cheating but for an exceptionally smooth early game hire Gus + equipment for a day along with a good cheap merc like Barry for a week. You're basically starting off with a free end-game weapon for your IMP and Gus can clear everything up to Drassen airport easily within the first day. I haven't tried it with the ungodly huge Drassen countattack enabled but the SCAR is such a beast you might be able to hold it off with just 2 mercs if you find a nice camping spot.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

God drat this thread. Time to reinstall the game again.

I'm thinking I'll make an interesting IMP as the last time I used one using akimbo pistols and the gunslinger perk and it was probably one of my favourite play through ever (actually I didn't finish it so maybe I should do that again...).

Give me some fun IMPS you guys have created.

Also I think I'll try use different mercs this time around as I almost always go for Team Blackman- Ice, Blood and eventually Magic. Ice and blood just seem like such good bargains (also Blood can win the fighting tournament in San Mona) that I can never pass up. I also have a soft spot for Len as he was the merc I used the most back when this game first came out.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, so I've taken Drassen. What's the best way to keep it? They just seem to eat my milita. Do I have to equip them or something?

Also, I adopted a retarded french girl called Flo, which I'm gonna make into a supersoldier. Right now she just panics though :psyduck:

How long until I can get a merc from the rebels? I have talked to the priest.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Sistergodiva posted:

Ok, so I've taken Drassen. What's the best way to keep it? They just seem to eat my milita. Do I have to equip them or something?

Also, I adopted a retarded french girl called Flo, which I'm gonna make into a supersoldier. Right now she just panics though :psyduck:

I'm assuming this is JA2: You should've been able to get Ira before talking to the priest, even. After talking to the priest Dimitri becomes available. Carlos and Miguel become available later on (I think based on completion percentage or towns held, but they work out similarly regardless)

EDIT: also there's some homies in the Tixa Prison that are available whenever you decide to bust them out, but neither is particularly great at the point you could manage to bust em out.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sistergodiva posted:

I spent a few days training all 3 squares to at least half blue status. For one of the counter assaults I had 2 mercs in that particular square, so that helped reduce militia casualties & improve their experience.
After getting all 3 squares to at least some blue levels they should be able to take care of themselves.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Also I think I'll try use different mercs this time around

You haven't played JA2 until you've finished the game with Team Psycho.
Razor, Haywire, Maddog, Fidel, Gasket and a psycho IMP merc.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Burning Mustache posted:

You haven't played JA2 until you've finished the game with Team Psycho.
Razor, Haywire, Maddog, Fidel, Gasket and a psycho IMP merc.

I'm far enough into the game where these guys are actually really good now and it's kind of scary.

Sistergodiva posted:

I don't know if Flo ever becomes useful outside of a mule and/or militia trainer but good luck! :france:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Sistergodiva posted:

Flo actually has really good Wisdom, which means that in the right circumstances she can gain skills stupidly fast. I rarely use her, but a couple of times I've hired her and trained her up as a medic for one of my secondary squads. With proper training she's really not half bad for the bargain basement price.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mister Bates posted:

Flo actually has really good Wisdom, which means that in the right circumstances she can gain skills stupidly fast. I rarely use her, but a couple of times I've hired her and trained her up as a medic for one of my secondary squads. With proper training she's really not half bad for the bargain basement price.

Gumpy is the same - lousy starting stats but very high wisdom, so he's going to be terrible in combat but he learns quickly and if you take the time to train him, he can be an amazing merc that will always cost you practically nothing to keep hired.

Biff, on the other hand, is just kind of useless.

Azkabaal
Jan 23, 2012

Puzzled Pirate

Mister Bates posted:

First and foremost, stay off the drat roads. That's where the patrols are, and eventually you absolutely WILL get ambushed by one of them. Stick to the wilderness until you're confident in your team's ability to handle the occasional ambush.

When you actually are ambushed, have the entire team haul rear end to cover immediately, even if it means you'll miss a few easy kill shots. If there's no cover, use smoke, hit the deck, or at the very least spray auto-fire indiscriminately everywhere - you likely won't kill any but the suppression will give you some breathing room. If you don't think you'll be able to handle the attackers, try to punch a hole through their lines and run like hell. Cover your retreat with smoke or teargas if you have it (and you really should).

This is sage advice. Some of my most memorable (and freakin' awesome) battles have been ambushes that got reinforced, and ended up being a 60 v 8 slaughterfest.
Without bolting from cover to cover and liberal use of grenades on the (unavoidably) clustering bad guys, it would've been over in moments.
As it was, being heli-vac'ed from the top of the body-pile with four KO mercs and a big empty space where their ammo used to be was a hell of a rush.

On a related note: 1.13. Holy freakin' hellfire.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

She's also significant for being one of the most hated mercs in the game, if not THE most hated

edit - Fidel: "I will not join team with woman who should clean motel rooms. if flo dies, you call me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

CerebralDonut posted:

She's also significant for being one of the most hated mercs in the game, if not THE most hated

edit - Fidel: "I will not join team with woman who should clean motel rooms. if flo dies, you call me."

That's why I rarely use her. I love Gumpy, though, he's the only merc I'm guaranteed to hire in every playthrough whose name doesn't end in 'Dolvich'. AIMNAS tweaks his hiring skills a little bit so he starts with a tiny amount of Mechanical instead of 0 like in the vanilla game, meaning it's possible to train him up as your lockpicking/repairing/trap disarming guy in addition to your explosives technician. He's got crap agility, but his salary is so low that it's incredibly easy to just keep him behind the lines practicing the stats and skills you need to increase for a few weeks or months while your main team trolls around the country.

On the subject of ambushes, I was actually just caught in one in AIMNAS. It was actually fairly easy, mainly because one of the things the mod does is try to standardize the Arulcan Royal Army's gear somewhat and the yellowshirt thugs/cops are generally equipped with a combination of civilian gear and 50-year-old milsurp crap that's so outdated BR doesn't even sell it. Two of them had old German MP-40s, for gently caress's sake. It'll get much, much harder once she starts sending the actual military after me, of course, so for now I'm just savoring the easy kills while they last.