Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Danger Kick posted:

Remember that so far they have only said that they were going to do digital distribution.

Yes but his argument was that the game will be cheaper to develop because they're not paying to manufacture/distribute it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This thread has me watching the Psychonauts Let's Play done by Sethur. I forgot how much I loved this game. I might have to pick it up as a download on the 360. However I originally played this on the PC is long gone now.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
I feel so happy for tim, when I heard of this kickstarter I gave him money as soon as i could, that man deserves it. I also cant wait to see how Psychonauts 2 goes seeing as notch and tim are very set on making this game a reality

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

animaCartographer posted:

I feel so happy for tim, when I heard of this kickstarter I gave him money as soon as i could, that man deserves it. I also cant wait to see how Psychonauts 2 goes seeing as notch and tim are very set on making this game a reality

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/17681692985/hype

Don't get too excited about Notch helping out, as much as I would love to see a sequel to Psychonauts, the reality of it was more Notch jokingly musing backing Tim up financially. The fact that Notch wasn't being serious when he initially talked about it coupled with him now realizing that financing the game would be MUCH more than he thought it would be, things do not look very good.

However, one of the positives about this is that a huge amount of people do follow Notch and now there is a rabid mob clamoring for a sequel, so even if things fall through with Notch, there is now a renewed demand for the game and a lot of news focused on Tim, I believe that Tim has had several people now come forward with some interest to fund him. So who knows at this point.

ARTS and Warcrafts
Sep 25, 2011

by Ozmaugh
How dumb is Notch that he thought you could make a Psychonauts sequel for six mil? Also dude on the last page passive-aggressively defending that joker is awesome.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
To be fair, Notch has pretty much proven he has very little knowledge when it comes to business and then you have the fact that he himself made Minecraft with no funding outside of alpha and beta pre-orders. Throw that together with the fact that for the longest time the only overhead was his own pay and well, yeah I can see Notch not understanding how much money goes into "big league" games.

Honestly though, this thread shouldn't devolve into Notch bitching, even if he doesn't back Tim, he has helped get people stirred up and interested again in a squeal on a massive scale, which in the end will help Tim when he tries to find financial backing. :)

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Danger Kick posted:

Remember that so far they have only said that they were going to do digital distribution.

Pretty sure they're going to use Steam.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Enzer posted:

Honestly though, this thread shouldn't devolve into Notch bitching, even if he doesn't back Tim, he has helped get people stirred up and interested again in a squeal on a massive scale, which in the end will help Tim when he tries to find financial backing. :)

Yeah this is the big thing if you read closely more than just Notch are interested in funding a Psychonauts 2 game so even if it was more than what Notch thought it would be, the funding can probably come from somewhere else to make up the difference.

I just want another Psychonauts game because the idea of different mental worlds and stages along with Tim's writing and humor is a game I'd like to play. (I mean I enjoyed Brutal Legend even after the multiplayer aspects popped up)

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Emong posted:

Pretty sure they're going to use Steam.

Steam is digital distribution. Kickstarter backers also get a copy DRM free. All we know so far is that is will be on Steam, and it might be available on other DD platforms. We have no way of knowing if he's planning on a retail release or even putting it on a CD at all.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Why does Psychonauts 2 have to be 12 million? Couldn't they put a small team on it, and release it digitally for a couple million like all the recent Double Fine games? It might be shorter than the original but there would be a lot less risk involved right?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Why does Psychonauts 2 have to be 12 million? Couldn't they put a small team on it, and release it digitally for a couple million like all the recent Double Fine games? It might be shorter than the original but there would be a lot less risk involved right?

I think the key point is that Tim would rather not make the game than have to compromise his vision for it

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Dr. Gene Dango MD posted:

Have you played Psychonauts? Look at a small budget game from DF like Costume Quest. Do you think Psychonauts would be the same if it had the same budget?

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

So does that make all non-FPS games "niche" games?

In the eyes of western publishers, yes.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I think the assumption that Psychonauts 2 would not be a profitable game is a bad one. The general consensus appears to be that the first game bombed mainly because of some bad luck - terrible promotion and a terrible publisher. I'm sure the fact that it didn't come out until a year later in Europe doesn't help either. I think the gaming press would also cover Psychonauts 2 a lot more than they did the first one due to all the hype. Don't get me wrong, I agree with everyone that Psychonauts 2 is a risky project, but I also think it is a project that has the potential to be a surprise hit. Anyways, Tim needs to do more video updates as the rate of funding increased when he gave a video update on the project.

I also think that a Psychonauts 2 kickstarter would eclipse the adventure game project significantly, possibly to the tune of %6.5 million. If Tim can do over $2 million for a game in a nearly dead genre, than a game that is much more accessible with a cult fan base can attract some serious cash, and I think enough for it to be a less risky option for an investor.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zeeman posted:

I think the key point is that Tim would rather not make the game than have to compromise his vision for it

Pretty much this. Tim has a singular vision for what Psychonauts 2 is and he's not deviating from it ever. Which is a perfectly fine and respectable thing to do.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I'm really nervous about the multi-platform thing, because going to 11 billion platforms is what really destroyed the quality of TellTale's games, but so long as it's just computers, iOS, and Android, I have a lot more faith in the DoubleFine team to get it done right.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheHock posted:

I'm really nervous about the multi-platform thing, because going to 11 billion platforms is what really destroyed the quality of TellTale's games, but so long as it's just computers, iOS, and Android, I have a lot more faith in the DoubleFine team to get it done right.

It seems like they aren't going to attempt to port it to 360/ps3 until the game is done on PC.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

TheHock posted:

I think the decline of TellTale's games has more to do with them going overboard, expanding too rapidly, and biting off more than they could chew. I don't think the ports had much to do with it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

hellocruelworld posted:

I think the decline of TellTale's games has more to do with them going overboard, expanding too rapidly, and biting off more than they could chew. I don't think the ports had much to do with it.

Absolutely correct. They are slowly going back to their shovelware roots by doing a bunch of games at once for established IPs, and the results show. Quantity != quality, etc.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
I don't disagree with you, really (I wrote a lengthy diseration on that very topic in my BTtF review), but ever since Tales from Monkey Island, their game design decisions have been getting more and more dumbed down so they're easier to play on as many systems as possible. Jurassic Park and Law & Order are barely interactive.

When they do bother making adventure games, the control scheme on PC is just incomprehensible (i.e. the drag your mouse to move, or quardruple click to use your inventory)

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
I've had the second Tales of Monkey Island episode half-finished on my computer for like a year now. Just never had the impulse to keep going. Like everything Telltale, it is perfectly competent but kind of empty and never that funny or entertaining or memorable.

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!

maxnmona posted:

I've had the second Tales of Monkey Island episode half-finished on my computer for like a year now. Just never had the impulse to keep going. Like everything Telltale, it is perfectly competent but kind of empty and never that funny or entertaining or memorable.

I almost did the same thing, but the game gets much better starting with ep 3.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems like they aren't going to attempt to port it to 360/ps3 until the game is done on PC.

That's a shame for me, I'd love to be able to pre order but I'm on an old laptop with poo poo all power and I probably couldn't run it. I hope after it's released it gets a decent port to other platforms.

AntiPseudonym
Apr 1, 2007
I EAT BABIES

:dukedog:

hellocruelworld posted:

I almost did the same thing, but the game gets much better starting with ep 3.

I've gotta agree with this, it's a slow burn but once it gets going it's an excellent series. I haven't liked any other of Telltales games (Including Sam & Max) but Monkey Island really stood apart from the rest.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
WASTELAND 2 KICKSTARTER

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218794p1.html

Apparently, potentially going live in a month or two.

Curious and hopeful to see someone else pull this off.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

hellocruelworld posted:

I'm going against the grain here, because, honestly, they haven't "declined" much, if at all.

Sam and Max season 3 was great.

Back to the Future was a love note to the franchise. I really liked it.

I didn't play Jurassic Park, so I can't comment on that one, but one bad game does not a decline make.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TheHock posted:

I don't disagree with you, really (I wrote a lengthy diseration on that very topic in my BTtF review), but ever since Tales from Monkey Island, their game design decisions have been getting more and more dumbed down so they're easier to play on as many systems as possible. Jurassic Park and Law & Order are barely interactive.

When they do bother making adventure games, the control scheme on PC is just incomprehensible (i.e. the drag your mouse to move, or quardruple click to use your inventory)

I never considered any of those things "dumbing down", but Tales of Monkey Island had an awful loving port on the Wii (nasty audio compression issues), to the point that I just re-bought it for PC. Really bummed me out, considering how great SBCG4AP played on the Wii.

Jurassic Park, though.... that's a huge piece of poo poo of a game. I'm super worried that they're going to try to use its awful QTE-based mechanics for the Walking Dead game, which I was looking forward to.

Fintilgin posted:

WASTELAND 2 KICKSTARTER

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218794p1.html

Apparently, potentially going live in a month or two.

Curious and hopeful to see someone else pull this off.

Well, they lost pretty much all of the Fallout IP to Bethesda, right? They gotta do something. I'm on board.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 17, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lurdiak posted:

Well, they lost pretty much all of the Fallout IP to Bethesda, right? They gotta do something. I'm on board.

InXile, Brian Fargo's studio, has nothing to do with Interplay, the former rights holder to the Fallout IP. Fargo left Interplay a long time ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rinkles posted:

InXile, Brian Fargo's studio, has nothing to do with Interplay, the former rights holder to the Fallout IP. Fargo left Interplay a long time ago.

Whoops. Oh well, this still sounds cool.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chris Avellone posted:

I routinely check Twitter (@ChrisAvellone), Facebook, my inbox, and a number of gaming sites with similar questions (Penny Arcade, Rock/Paper/Shotgun, NMA, RPGCodex, GameBanshee, RPG Watch, Giant Bomb)

The poor bastard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bobulus posted:

I'm going against the grain here, because, honestly, they haven't "declined" much, if at all.

Sam and Max season 3 was great.

Back to the Future was a love note to the franchise. I really liked it.

I didn't play Jurassic Park, so I can't comment on that one, but one bad game does not a decline make.

The Telltale backlash is a bit too much, I think. Hell, I seriously don't even think Jurassic Park was that bad (and also they've been making the Law and Order games for years). I agree that the quality fluctuates and that maybe they shouldn't stick to the episodic format so rigidly, but I don't think there has been much of a decline at all. They just haven't changed enough and people are getting sick of the same formula. Which is fine.

At the very least, I don't think they deserve the level of bile they're getting these day. I agree they definitely need to step up their game, though. Luckily, Walking Dead sounds really interesting.

Cock Goblin
Mar 25, 2008

gobblegobblegobblegobble
thats all i do around here
You know, I hope that if this entire thing goes WELL, we'll be seeing it happen again from these guys in the future. (Well meaning that it's received favorably by the community and generates a couple sales even after this whole kickstarter thing.) I would not be against funding another point and click adventure game by DoubleFine assuming this one turns out to be good. (It will.)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Megazver posted:

The poor bastard.

Call them what you want, but they're in the know when it comes to RPGs. The main problem with the forum is that it's filled with rampant racism, homophobia etc. and their own lovely memes, but they do have some great posters there. It's just that they're hard to find from that sea of poo poo.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Smol posted:

Call them what you want, but they're in the know when it comes to RPGs. The main problem with the forum is that it's filled with rampant racism, homophobia etc. and their own lovely memes, but they do have some great posters there. It's just that they're hard to find from that sea of poo poo.

Not really, no. The site has zero redeeming qualities.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

maxnmona posted:

Is Episode 2 the one where you tool around in that mermaid city? It's definitely the low point of the series, but it gets so much better after that.

EDIT: yes it is. Power through that poo poo or just skip to episode 3. I was really bored by The Siege of Spinner Cay but loved everything else about Tales.

Bobulus posted:

Everyone who was paying attention knew that Jurassic Park was going to be poo poo long before it came out. The final nail in the coffin was when they delayed it for like 7 months mere weeks before it was supposed to ship. I don't know if it was heavy interference from Paramount (or whoever holds the JP license these days) or just one of those things where you try something different and it doesn't work. I consider it a blip on the radar, not the beginning of the end for Telltale.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Feb 17, 2012

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Boomerjinks' fanfare about them loving up his JP Jeep at PAX right before release probably didn't help any as every nerd on the internet was white-knighting his sob story without even hearing the other side.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Cock Goblin posted:

You know, I hope that if this entire thing goes WELL, we'll be seeing it happen again from these guys in the future. (Well meaning that it's received favorably by the community and generates a couple sales even after this whole kickstarter thing.) I would not be against funding another point and click adventure game by DoubleFine assuming this one turns out to be good. (It will.)

I think this success(and it is already a success by any measure, what follows is only more icing) will catapult them into making much more expensive games, like Psychonauts 2. I know that Notch has been backing the idea with his money, but a Psychonauts 2 Kickstarter could generate even more than this one did which will help bridge the cost increases gap and money for small improvements.

I think the even more pie in the sky hope is that this will usher in an error of Developer-to-consumer bonding, at least on the PC, that will help loosen the shackle of Publisher dominance even further, beyond what Steam/Digital Distribution has already done for small timers. A twenty million plus dollar game developed and sold without big name corporate dick-heads mucking about in the process would be a huge win all around.

In the age of DRM and piracy, the reality that PC gaming consumers will just give millions of dollars to a fan-loved studio just to make "a game" in a niche genre is heartwarming.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If minecraft, it's success, it's annoying fanboys and bile filled haters, not to mention constant limelighting in every game site, all lead up to Double Fine being able to make Psychonauts 2... then it was well worth it.

Should it be successful, and net a profit for the investor(s), will this set the precedent for "angel investors" to consider games to be a worthy investment? Has there been any other of this kind of backing, or has it always been the Publisher/Developer model?

Though now that I think about it, a publisher is pretty much an "angel investor" yes?

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

down1nit posted:

Though now that I think about it, a publisher is pretty much an "angel investor" yes?

More often a devil with a penchant to become an abusive puppet master once they get their hooks in.

They are in it puuuuurely for profit, and not at all to make great games. They would gladly sell gamers steaming poo poo in a box if they could market it and get people to buy it at retail price plus $15 'DLC' every six weeks for nine months.

So, a bunch of micro-investors(and sometime bigger fish like Notch who wants something awesome like Psychonauts 2) that actually care about what pops out at the end of the development process is much more deserving of the "Angle Investor" label.

Some might say a lot of these gamers are entitled jerks and give a lot of horrible 'advice' or 'suggestions' but they don't have the power that those assholes in the big Publishing companies do that have just as bad ideas to "make the game (sell)better" that the Devs actually have to listen to. You can go browse the other thread in this forum that has been talking about stuff like that, including from some inside voices that experienced it.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

Everyone who was paying attention knew that Jurassic Park was going to be poo poo long before it came out. The final nail in the coffin was when they delayed it for like 7 months mere weeks before it was supposed to ship.

What was the story behind this game? It seemed really odd that they would revisit this IP so long after the last sequel had been released. When I first heard of it coming to steam, I thought maybe someone had ported the old shoot-em-up arcade game to PC or something.

• Locked thread