Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Setting up some macs for a client and we are looking for a centrally managed antivirus system. We typically deploy Trend Micro worry free for our windows clients, and this actually supports mac clients (including servers) but needs a windows server to host it (which they will have).

unfortunately only the advanced edition supports macs, and its more expensive. Is there any other suggestions for a centrally managed, mac friendly AV solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Laserface posted:

Setting up some macs for a client and we are looking for a centrally managed antivirus system. We typically deploy Trend Micro worry free for our windows clients, and this actually supports mac clients (including servers) but needs a windows server to host it (which they will have).

unfortunately only the advanced edition supports macs, and its more expensive. Is there any other suggestions for a centrally managed, mac friendly AV solution?

Why do you think you need anti-virus on your macs?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Screen sharing in Messages is in the Buddies menu:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

echobucket posted:

That brings up the buddy list for Google Talk, or AIM.

iMessage has no such concept as a "Buddy List"
The Messages application has a Buddy List but the iMessage protocol does not support / need one since it's essentially an upgraded form of SMS. If you start a new message and click the blue + you'll see you can pick between your contacts and buddies.

The whole idea with iMessage is you don't need to know if somebody is 'online' because the message will get pushed to every Apple device they own without them needing to sign in to anything.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Has iCal been improved in 10.8 preview?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

TACD posted:

The Messages application has a Buddy List but the iMessage protocol does not support / need one since it's essentially an upgraded form of SMS. If you start a new message and click the blue + you'll see you can pick between your contacts and buddies.

The whole idea with iMessage is you don't need to know if somebody is 'online' because the message will get pushed to every Apple device they own without them needing to sign in to anything.

That was exactly what I was talking about.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

echobucket posted:

It could to comply with company (or a client's) IT policy.

I'm not aware of anything with central management, but ClamAV is free and adequate for scanning mail/download folders.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I was thinking of finally upgrading to Lion and just dealing with the change. I also decided to finally set up Time Machine. So while I wait for that to back up 1.2 million items, I figured I'd ask: Can I just grab my documents/pictures/whatever from the Time Machine backups, or use Migration Utility, or should I just copy my home directory somewhere and then grab it back, less the library? I only ask because I figure I should actually start clean, rather than have prefs from back on 10.4 laying around.

Also I just checked and I have a ton of fonts in my home library, as well as the system one. Should I just copy those over from a backup as well? Related to that, how do I keep my Collections, or will I have to re-create them?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm running 10.6.6 and not minding it at all... I don't know why, but for whatever reason, I don't even want to touch 10.7, so I have no idea how long it'll be before I consider going to 10.8

If I do decide to make the jump, I assume I'll be able to go directly from SL to ML?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Welp, file transfers in Messages appear to not work. In iChat I never had a problem. I also don't really enjoy this large messages window. It reminds me of the new Skype by taking up so much space.

edit: Also when I close the messages window, all the messages are removed from the window when I open it back up which is quite unlike iOS devices.

SimpleCoax fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 17, 2012

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If I do decide to make the jump, I assume I'll be able to go directly from SL to ML?

See, I doubt that, so I figure I'll roll the dice and learn to deal. Still gonna be fuming that my Spaces are gone, though.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Carthag posted:

Screen sharing in Messages is in the Buddies menu:

It's also available from the context menu of an open chat or the Buddy List.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

echobucket posted:

If I didnt agree with you I wouldnt have to ask ;). Im the mac guy in the team since I have the most experience with them, and I dont run AV on any of my macs at home or elsewhere.

but its a Medical practice. mac mini server and a windows server for terminal services as the patient database software isnt supported on anything but windows (not even on VMs). so the windows machine will have AV on it, but we want to make sure that the drones responding to chain mails and looking up work from home for 50k a month schemes dont have the potential to pass on virus' to the server or their backups, and all our windows clients use Worry-Free because we resell it and its centrally managed from the server.

Our director/owner just wants to make sure we cover our rear end more than anything.

beyond that I would say its part of the legislation regarding medical practices and protecting patient data here, but I havent checked into that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zenostein posted:

See, I doubt that, so I figure I'll roll the dice and learn to deal. Still gonna be fuming that my Spaces are gone, though.

What do you miss about spaces? I haven't noticed anything missing in mission control except the ability to stack desktops above each other wich I didn't use anyway (I used to have four in a row before Lion).

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CaptainCaveman posted:

A couple of the preview articles said iCloud will now sync browser tabs between a Mac and an iOS device. I wonder if it only sync the first 8 to iOS devices if you have more than that open in the desktop browser or what it does.

If you wipe/restore a backed-up iPad the browser tabs remain in tact, so it's probably only a matter of time before it gets pushed to the fruit mist.

e: This includes where you were last in the App Store as well.

graph fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 17, 2012

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Carthag posted:

What do you miss about spaces? I haven't noticed anything missing in mission control except the ability to stack desktops above each other wich I didn't use anyway (I used to have four in a row before Lion).

Will miss, but based on the complaints in this thread, I understand you can't order them and fullscreen apps get their own space. I, on the other hand, do this:

So that some things take up most of the screen, like Evernote, and I can open emails and leave them out as a reminder without having to hide mail or whatever. After a few years of doing this, hitting ctrl+2 to get to mail, or ctrl+5 to find iTunes is second hand. And, with a laptop, I prefer to just use shortcuts, although I do have a BTT shortcut to open spaces, too. As I understand it, this isn't really possible at present.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
netkas says 10.8 RC1 has more indications of Radeon 7xxx support. :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mongoibur posted:

Suddenly this started to happen when my computer wakes from sleep. The mouse cursor makes skid marks. A restart fixes it, but after sleeping it's back. Anyone seen something like it?

From several pages ago, but you're not alone. This very obscure problem does have a solution!

"I think I have just found a solution, the display sleep and computer sleep options in Energy saver must be greater than the time of logout after inactivity in Security & Privacy. For example my logout time is 8 minutes, computer and display sleep is 10 minutes. It seems to work for me, let me know how it works for you."
http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/105092-lion-login-screen-wants-me-paint-back-together.html

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Zenostein posted:

Will miss, but based on the complaints in this thread, I understand you can't order them and fullscreen apps get their own space. I, on the other hand, do this:

So that some things take up most of the screen, like Evernote, and I can open emails and leave them out as a reminder without having to hide mail or whatever. After a few years of doing this, hitting ctrl+2 to get to mail, or ctrl+5 to find iTunes is second hand. And, with a laptop, I prefer to just use shortcuts, although I do have a BTT shortcut to open spaces, too. As I understand it, this isn't really possible at present.

You can order spaces in 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 I forget which, single row only though.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

graph posted:

If you wipe/restore a backed-up iPad the browser tabs remain in tact, so it's probably only a matter of time before it gets pushed to the fruit mist.

e: This includes where you were last in the App Store as well.

Yes, restoring from a backup generally restores the state the device was in when you backed it up, that's kind of the point of backing up and restoring. I'm missing the connection between that and me wondering how they'll handle syncing tabs when (at least right now) mobile Safari can only handle a limited number, though.

Edit: I wasn't wondering "What strange magics will they use to push tabs to the cloud?" but "What will happen when it syncs tabs and I have more open on the desktop than the iOS device can handle?"

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zenostein posted:

After a few years of doing this, hitting ctrl+2 to get to mail, or ctrl+5 to find iTunes is second hand. And, with a laptop, I prefer to just use shortcuts, although I do have a BTT shortcut to open spaces, too. As I understand it, this isn't really possible at present.
You can do this. You can assign applications to 'All desktops' or 'This desktop' and quickly switch to them with CMD-1, CMD-2 etc (which I actually didn't know about until just now, thanks!)

The slight annoyance for me is the linearity of the arrangement. I'm used to moving right from my browser window for iTunes, or down for photos, it bugs me having to swipe past a list of other desktops I don't need right now. Maybe I'll try getting used to the keyboard shortcuts.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is there any other way to disable Journaling other than selecting the desired drive and hitting Alt + File in Disk Utility? Perhaps a Terminal.app command?

Edit: Found it. diskutil disable journal / seems to have done the trick.

Crush fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 17, 2012

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

CaptainCaveman posted:

Yes, restoring from a backup generally restores the state the device was in when you backed it up, that's kind of the point of backing up and restoring. I'm missing the connection between that and me wondering how they'll handle syncing tabs when (at least right now) mobile Safari can only handle a limited number, though.

Edit: I wasn't wondering "What strange magics will they use to push tabs to the cloud?" but "What will happen when it syncs tabs and I have more open on the desktop than the iOS device can handle?"

Gotcha. I guess I didn't expect such granular states to be backed up. Bookmarks sure, last page visited not so much.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Viktor posted:

Has iCal been improved in 10.8 preview?

More importantly, has Address Book Contacts been redesigned back to its old, sensible 3-pane self, or is it still as ugly and obnoxious to use as the Lion version?

Also, can someone with the beta clarify if the AirPlay support includes having your Mac be on the receiving end? (ie. Can you airplay poo poo from your iPhone/iPad to your Mac? Perhaps it would be a new ability in the "Sharing" system prefs...) I'm assuming no, but keeping my fingers crossed anyway.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

More importantly, has Address Book Contacts been redesigned back to its old, sensible 3-pane self, or is it still as ugly and obnoxious to use as the Lion version?

Also, can someone with the beta clarify if the AirPlay support includes having your Mac be on the receiving end? (ie. Can you airplay poo poo from your iPhone/iPad to your Mac? Perhaps it would be a new ability in the "Sharing" system prefs...) I'm assuming no, but keeping my fingers crossed anyway.
I saw a post on another forum mentioning three pane view is back, didn't look for any screens though.

Don't have the beta but haven't seen anything about acting as an AirPlay target in any of the previews :(.

Macworld did mention one particular thing about outputting though, that it required "second generation Core processors"...which is a bit vague, but I'm thinking they meant Sandy Bridge cause Quick Sync. And if that is the case I'm wondering how/if it'll work with my Mac mini w/Radeon, cause the IGP (and thus QS) are disabled. Hope they figured out how to do a Virtu type thing :ohdear: (I want it for accelerated encoding more than AirPlay, but hey AirPlay would be cool too)

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

How is gaming on a mac, both stuff that runs natively/has native clients (Steam, wow, etc) and stuff that requires windows via bootcamp?

Sorry if this gets asked a lot :ohdear:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

TACD posted:

You can do this. You can assign applications to 'All desktops' or 'This desktop' and quickly switch to them with CMD-1, CMD-2 etc (which I actually didn't know about until just now, thanks!)

The slight annoyance for me is the linearity of the arrangement. I'm used to moving right from my browser window for iTunes, or down for photos, it bugs me having to swipe past a list of other desktops I don't need right now. Maybe I'll try getting used to the keyboard shortcuts.

That is nice to know, but is it consistent? I have no interest in full-screening mail, and then not having all my emails arranged around me like a flower.

Basically, can I dedicate a desktop to an app, and leave it be?

Gaming is rather hit or miss, given what seems to be a completely rubbish level of optimization. So far as I can tell, it's basically "we ported this." == "wine"

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Okay... I've installed the Messages beta but either it's not working properly or I've got the wrong expectations:

I've signed in to the Messages app. If I message my friend John from there, it shows up properly on my iPhone as well. John's replies also properly show up on both my phone and the Mac.

BUT, if I message my friend Bob from my phone, none of the messages to Bob or from Bob show up on the Mac. Only once I've initiated a message from the Mac app as described above it all works as expected though.

Is that how it's supposed to be? It doesn't seem right, since I can't get an iMessage on my Mac fr anyone I haven't already tried to contact from there, which would be stupid.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
For some reason when I change my default shell in Terminal the bash scripts I have no longer function. They just open up a terminal window and proceed to do nothing. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

quote:

How is gaming on a mac, both stuff that runs natively/has native clients (Steam, wow, etc) and stuff that requires windows via bootcamp?

If you run games under OSX expect only 80%ish the performance of the windows port, and if you run it under windows its exactly like any other PC with the same hardware.

mongoibur
Jun 10, 2005

take my breath away

~Coxy posted:

From several pages ago, but you're not alone. This very obscure problem does have a solution!

"I think I have just found a solution, the display sleep and computer sleep options in Energy saver must be greater than the time of logout after inactivity in Security & Privacy. For example my logout time is 8 minutes, computer and display sleep is 10 minutes. It seems to work for me, let me know how it works for you."
http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/105092-lion-login-screen-wants-me-paint-back-together.html

Thank you! I'll check it out!

vkeios
May 7, 2007

freezepops posted:

For some reason when I change my default shell in Terminal the bash scripts I have no longer function. They just open up a terminal window and proceed to do nothing. Any idea as to what I'm doing wrong?

Whats the first line of those bash scripts? You're not invoking /bin/sh are you? If so, try editing it to be #!/bin/bash.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

Crush posted:

Is there any other way to disable Journaling other than selecting the desired drive and hitting Alt + File in Disk Utility? Perhaps a Terminal.app command?

Edit: Found it. diskutil disable journal / seems to have done the trick.

Why do you want to disable the file system journal for your startup disk?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
For some reason, I can't seem to connect to my Windows file server. I've tried the cmd+k smb://the ip, in addition to smb://hostname, but it isn't connecting in either case. I can see them there when I go to the Networks, but still can't connect there either.

10.7.3 on a Mini

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Zenostein posted:

That is nice to know, but is it consistent? I have no interest in full-screening mail, and then not having all my emails arranged around me like a flower.

Basically, can I dedicate a desktop to an app, and leave it be?

Gaming is rather hit or miss, given what seems to be a completely rubbish level of optimization. So far as I can tell, it's basically "we ported this." == "wine"

Yeah I find it consistent. There's an option to rearrange spaces based on recent use, but I've turned that off. Apps can be set to all or specific desktops like they could spaces.

I've put mail on my 5th desktop and it sits out there like it should.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Note that they changed the space assignment to the Options contextual menu on the dock icons. It's "this" or "all" desktops, so it's annoying to set up because you have to switch to whatever space first to assign something.

Choadmaster posted:

Okay... I've installed the Messages beta but either it's not working properly or I've got the wrong expectations:

I've signed in to the Messages app. If I message my friend John from there, it shows up properly on my iPhone as well. John's replies also properly show up on both my phone and the Mac.

BUT, if I message my friend Bob from my phone, none of the messages to Bob or from Bob show up on the Mac. Only once I've initiated a message from the Mac app as described above it all works as expected though.

Is that how it's supposed to be? It doesn't seem right, since I can't get an iMessage on my Mac fr anyone I haven't already tried to contact from there, which would be stupid.
Somewhere in Settings on your iPhone is a caller ID setting for iMessages, I'm guessing it's set to your phone number. For now at least, the way iMessages work is that if they're sent to a phone number, they only go to that phone, whereas if they're sent to an email address (your Apple ID?) they'll go everywhere. So when you message Bob from your phone, your caller ID shows your phone, so his replies go to the phone only. If you change the caller ID to your email, replies should go everywhere.

This is something a lot of people have complained about (and it sounds like Apple knows about it going by one of the preview articles I read), and there's legitimate reasons for it to work either way. Hopefully they just add an option to switch how it handles phone numbers down the line.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 17, 2012

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

freezepops posted:

If you run games under OSX expect only 80%ish the performance of the windows port, and if you run it under windows its exactly like any other PC with the same hardware.

Is this just a "developers don't port things over very well" sort of thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

As far as I know it's a driver issue. It used to be worse, but the drivers are still lagging somewhat behind Windows.

And also I guess if it's a Cider port, there's some overhead there.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer

Torael_7 posted:

Is this just a "developers don't port things over very well" sort of thing?

Don't forget most games aren't ported by the original development studio but by porting companies (Aspyr for instance), and honestly, most of their ports are bad.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
One of the engineers at Panic posted a pretty lengthy write up about their feelings on Gatekeeper and what they hope will happen.

While I can't help liking Gatekeeper from a purely IT management standpoint, I absolutely see why it might be worrisome about the future of the platform, especially since many Open Source projects might not even make it off the ground if this feature were required.

I have to agree with Panic, though. Apple has forged an acceptable middle ground. We're not going to stay invulnerable to malware forever. Unix has given us a lot of security, and Apple has built up some extra protections in addition to those. But as I've said before, it's not a panacea. As long as we're given the choice, I'm sure we'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I see absolutely no issues with Gatekeeper. It's free to sign your code and does not require any review by Apple. Only the most fanatic of OSS types would argue against that (and even then, they can continue using unsigned code if they want to).

And yeah I seriously doubt Apple would ever move to a totally closed App Store-only model. It doesn't make sense at all.