Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jedit posted:

You're right, I beg your pardon. The other thing, though, I don't know why you bothered to single it out as it happens in every book.

For me at least, I didn't start to get annoyed with Elayne untill the whole Rand's babies are PROTECTED because MIN SAW THEM IN A VISION, THEREFORE I AM IMMORTAL!!!! :supaburn:

I think doesn't start untill around book 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

omnibobb posted:

What do you all think of taking a week off and reading a trash novel so we don't burn ourselves out on WoT?

Um. :stare:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

For me at least, I didn't start to get annoyed with Elayne untill the whole Rand's babies are PROTECTED because MIN SAW THEM IN A VISION, THEREFORE I AM IMMORTAL!!!! :supaburn:

I think doesn't start untill around book 10?

Yeah, it's about then and she keeps it up until book 12 where she finally gets karmalized.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

berenzen posted:

Yeah, it's about then and she keeps it up until book 12 where she finally gets karmalized.

Yeah but in book 11 she still gets most of the Aes Sedai killed and almost loses the city she's been trying to protect for 2 books after chasing after darkfriends . That should have been the end of the stupid.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

All I can say is that we had at least a 10 page arguement over Elayne in the book 13 thread, and I can't wait to rehash it all over again 5 or so months from now.

:suicide:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartoon Man posted:

All I can say is that we had at least a 10 page arguement over Elayne in the book 13 thread, and I can't wait to rehash it all over again 5 or so months from now.

:suicide:

Don't be obtuse.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok, I just read through the chapter where Nynaeve takes the Accepted test. Its pretty obvious what the last two tests where about, but why was she running around a maze hunting Aginor in the first one? What was that supposed to represent? :saddowns:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 15, 2012

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The visions created during the test are created by the Aes Sedai weaving into the ter'angreal, so one of them did it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
No, that's the Aes Sedai shawl test. The Accepted test is somehow fully about yourself. There's no way anybody could have come up with Egwene's test.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If the first test was supposed to be about "What Was", then she should have had a vision about her childhood or something. Maybey she could relive her Mom's death or something. The Aginor maze makes no sense.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

arioch posted:

No, that's the Aes Sedai shawl test. The Accepted test is somehow fully about yourself. There's no way anybody could have come up with Egwene's test.

Oh my bad, I thought they did something similar when they did both tests but I am still on The Great Hunt doing my reread so I definitely am misremembering stuff.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Cartoon Man posted:

If the first test was supposed to be about "What Was", then she should have had a vision about her childhood or something. Maybey she could relive her Mom's death or something. The Aginor maze makes no sense.

I don't know, she was involved in that fight with Aginor at the eye of the world, and despite her bluster I'm sure she was feeling lost and confused during most of the trip and especially after finding out she could channel. That could be reasonably represented by a maze.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The other thing about the Accepted test that's not exactly like the test for the shawl is that these "visions" are like alternate versions of herself in mirror worlds, like a more controlled version of the visions Rand/Mat/Perrin/Ingtar/etc. had when they went through the portal stones incorrectly.

So Aginor in a maze makes a lot less sense than her other two visions, and even less so than the ones Egwene got. The one thing that would make sense is if these visions not only tapped into mirror worlds but also tapped explicitly into Tel'Aran'Rhiod for its ruleset, as alluded to with the test for the shawl.

As an aside, any time the Aes Sedai put her in a position to have/lose Lan in mirror worlds or in her reality is pretty strong writing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 15, 2012

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cartoon Man posted:

Ok, I just read through the chapter where Nynaeve takes the Accepted test. Its pretty obvious what the last two tests where about, but why was she running around a maze hunting Aginor in the first one? What was that supposed to represent? :saddowns:

I always read it as the personification of her fear of using The Power when growing up and how its use was demonized in the Two Rivers. I thought it showed Angior because she had an actual image to connect with the demonetization of the One power.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

The Eye of the World posted:

"I have almost forgotten the pleasures of the flesh." Aginor's tongue crossed his withered lips, sounding
like stone on rough leather. "But Balthamel remembers much." The laughter of the mask seemed to grow
wilder, and the wail that left Nynaeve burned Rand's ears like despair ripped from her living heart.

Having one of the forsaken hold you by the face while saying he is going to rape you is pretty traumatic, and the maze can easily be her entire journey outside the Two Rivers. Everything is strange and confusing, and there isn't a way out that she wants (she wants to take everyone back safe and sound and have things go back to normal).

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I couldn't help myself and blazed all the way through Dragon Reborn, the characters are all just so good and even the pacing just zips along! Having only read up to around book 6 or 7, a number of years ago, I'm kind of dreading the next few where RJ was kind of let loose to milk plot lines for all they're worth. Hopefully it's not as bad as I remember, exacerbated by reading the books as they were released :ohdear:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Campbell posted:

I couldn't help myself and blazed all the way through Dragon Reborn, the characters are all just so good and even the pacing just zips along! Having only read up to around book 6 or 7, a number of years ago, I'm kind of dreading the next few where RJ was kind of let loose to milk plot lines for all they're worth. Hopefully it's not as bad as I remember, exacerbated by reading the books as they were released :ohdear:

It's good till 9, hits a brick wall at 10. After you claw through 10, you have to drive over the rubble of 11, and for 12 and 13 it's pretty brisk pacing.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

berenzen posted:

It's good till 9, hits a brick wall at 10. After you claw through 10, you have to drive over the rubble of 11, and for 12 and 13 it's pretty brisk pacing.

This is a terrible metaphor.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Neurosis posted:

This is a terrible metaphor.

It is. But I'm tired and sick and not very lucid.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

A lot of stuff seems a lot longer when you have no idea how long it's going on for. I remember Egwene's captivity seeming to go on forever, but reading it now, it's over in no time.

So I just got to this part. My mind is loving BLOWN. I thought this happened WAY later in the series. Man my timeline is off.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Books 2 and 3 (and 4?) are cute in how Rand, Matt, and Perrin all go off and do stuff, then the supergirls show up, big climatic fight with a Forsaken or two, then the next book begins.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Crossposting from the book 13 thread.

:siren:A Memory of Light will release on January 8, 2013:siren:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the-release-date-for-a-memory-of-light-has-been-set?WT.mc_id=0

Well at least we can now re-calculate how much we have to read each week in order to meet the deadline.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cartoon Man posted:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/02/the-release-date-for-a-memory-of-light-has-been-set?WT.mc_id=0

Well at least we can now re-calculate how much we have to read each week in order to meet the deadline.

Well poo poo, guess I'll have to schlep over to a publishing house or something in the post-apocalyptic wasteland in order to see how the story ends.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I just finished Book 9, and I have to say, (major series spoilers) I'm so loving glad Rand finally cleared Saidin. Now he can continue being a badass without nearly falling down everytime he embraces the source. Also, Dashiva was a Chosen? Totally did not see that one coming, and it felt a bit weird to be honest. I'm finally glad Rand is accepting help from Cadsuane, and Verin is too shifty for her own good.

Now to slog through books 10 and 11 to finally reach Sanderson's books. I may yet finish this series before the new book comes out! (I'm a slow reader).

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah, I figured it out to early-mid November, so we got 2 extra months. I think we can keep the same pace, as it's slower than most people are reading, so we can throw in some breaks, and stretch out book 10 and 11 if we need to so people don't get burnt out.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

omnibobb posted:

Yeah, I figured it out to early-mid November, so we got 2 extra months. I think we can keep the same pace, as it's slower than most people are reading, so we can throw in some breaks, and stretch out book 10 and 11 if we need to so people don't get burnt out.

Or add in New Spring!

Please don't throw things at me.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Yarr, I hope you keep us updated as you read through, and anyone new reading the series for the first time with us! Hopefully you'll reread the series at a later date, and start to spot little things sprinkled all over that add so much to the world. That, and those of us not seeing it fresh have fun watching you guys try to figure it all out, and get to remember the first time we read them.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh, if we do decide at one point to read a different novel in order to pace ourselves (New Spring won't take more than 2 weeks tops) I would recommend that we have a group reading of one of Sandersons novels, so people can get a little used to his writing for the last 3 books.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This is my first time reading through the series so I'm enjoying everything fresh. 3 more chapters in book 2! (This is awesome)

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

berenzen posted:

Oh, if we do decide at one point to read a different novel in order to pace ourselves (New Spring won't take more than 2 weeks tops) I would recommend that we have a group reading of one of Sandersons novels, so people can get a little used to his writing for the last 3 books.

This isn't a bad idea. I've never read Sanderson so don't know his style at all.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

AreYouStillThere posted:

This isn't a bad idea. I've never read Sanderson so don't know his style at all.

He's a good writer, but a bit different from Jordan. If we did read something by him, I would probably suggest Warbreaker. It's a standalone novel and happens to have annotations for each chapter as well. However, one thing to keep in mind with him is that all of his books are within the same universe, and while each series stands on its own, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that's going on that can be inferred.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

berenzen posted:

He's a good writer, but a bit different from Jordan. If we did read something by him, I would probably suggest Warbreaker. It's a standalone novel and happens to have annotations for each chapter as well. However, one thing to keep in mind with him is that all of his books are within the same universe, and while each series stands on its own, there's a lot of behind the scenes stuff that's going on that can be inferred.

Different planets, though. That's important. Warbreaker is okay as a book, but it is very obviously one of his earliest attempts at a novel. Parts of it are way too fast, parts are way too slow, and I personally found one of the characters completely boring, and did not enjoy the chapters focused on that character.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Kruller posted:

Different planets, though. That's important. Warbreaker is okay as a book, but it is very obviously one of his earliest attempts at a novel. Parts of it are way too fast, parts are way too slow, and I personally found one of the characters completely boring, and did not enjoy the chapters focused on that character.

Maybe Elantris? I certainly wouldn't recommend Way of Kings (it's a great book, but it's long as hell) or any of the Mistborn books, since they are part of a series.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
I think The Final Empire is standalone enough that it probably wouldn't matter too much to pick the series back up as an "after school special" after AMoL is done with. It's also really loving good.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Yarr, I hope you keep us updated as you read through, and anyone new reading the series for the first time with us! Hopefully you'll reread the series at a later date, and start to spot little things sprinkled all over that add so much to the world. That, and those of us not seeing it fresh have fun watching you guys try to figure it all out, and get to remember the first time we read them.

I'll keep following this thread, because it's interesting to see people's reactions to the books I've already read. Unfortunately, some people don't know how to properly spoiler poo poo (like not mentioning what book the spoiler is from and dropping the spoiler in the middle of Book 1/2 chat), so a major bit was spoiled for me thus far. In any case, it's enjoyable enough that I'll reread it someday.

As a sidenote, while I'm waiting for my new books to come in...can anyone tell me what books the (book 3-4? minor-spoilers?)Aelfinn/Eelfinn stuff happened with Mat and Rand? I know it happens at two different points, but I'd like to reread those parts while I'm waiting.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kruller posted:

Elantris was his first book, Warbreaker wasn't published until 2009- after Mistborn was done. Definitely not one of his 'earlier works', I think you're thinking of Elantris. That one definitely had some issues with the pacing.

arioch posted:

I think The Final Empire is standalone enough that it probably wouldn't matter too much to pick the series back up as an "after school special" after AMoL is done with. It's also really loving good.

Yeah, TFE is pretty standalone, but it does have a pretty obvious sequel hook.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Yarrbossa posted:

As a sidenote, while I'm waiting for my new books to come in...can anyone tell me what books the (book 3-4? minor-spoilers?)

Book 4, The Shadow Rising.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

and I never have.

Yarrbossa posted:

As a sidenote, while I'm waiting for my new books to come in...can anyone tell me what books the (book 3-4? minor-spoilers?)Aelfinn/Eelfinn stuff happened with Mat and Rand? I know it happens at two different points, but I'd like to reread those parts while I'm waiting.

It's definitely book 4, as The end of book 3 is the taking of the stone, and the end of book 4 is at Rhuidean.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Great Hunt posted:

"There are Darkfriends among the high as well as the low," Verin said smoothly.

Oh Verin, you rascally Aes Sedai you. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

This is my first time reading through the series so I'm enjoying everything fresh. 3 more chapters in book 2! (This is awesome)

I envy the hell out of you, I still remember my first reading. You're past most of the confusing-as-gently caress poo poo and on to the pure awesomeness of books 3-6.

after that, bear with 7-11. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 12.

• Locked thread