Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

I think it'll be worth the price just to have a squad of ex-military dudes rolling around the map in a humvee taking out terrorists. :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Conrad's price works out to just a bit lower than Gus, I believe. He's not quite the most expensive merc in the game, but he's fairly close. His one major advantage is that his price stays the same the entire game, he doesn't ask for an increased salary as he levels up. As a result he's more valuable as a long-term hire than some of the more expensive AIM guys, who will gradually charge you more and more as time passes.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Welp I just got addicted to this game. I managed to take down a small ambush of only 6 enemies, but they were armed to the teeth with ARs with attached grenade launchers, laser sights, and much better armor. Now I'm upgrading my trusty MP5Ks to ARs & it rules

edit: question- how do you combine half empty ammo in the sector inventory?

dud root fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 18, 2012

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

dud root posted:

Welp I just got addicted to this game. I managed to take down a small ambush of only 6 enemies, but they were armed to the teeth with ARs with attached grenade launchers, laser sights, and much better armor. Now I'm upgrading my trusty MP5Ks to ARs & it rules

Either pick up one mag and then ctrl-click on another to merge those two mags, or go down to tactical view and press ctrl-shift-A to sort all ammo in the sector into crates by caliber.

Ctrl-click merging also works with various other things, like partially depleted medkits.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Jagged Alliance Online Open Beta just started.

http://play.jaggedalliance.gamigo.com/

I played only for a few minutes so the only thing I can say is that it's turn based, has pvp and microtransactions, the "pay-to-win" kind.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
What is the current process for installing 1.13 and using "Wildfire" maps now? I'm not interested in AIMNAS because I want to use NCTH, and a lot of these "WF Maps" downloads seem to conflict with the newer 1.13 SCIs.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

dud root posted:

Another option other than what Mister Bates has said is Ctrl-Shift-M, which merges all items that can be and sorts the entire inventory.

I feel like I'm missing something with 7.62x51 guns. They seem extremely underpowered for the amount of AP they take to fire. SCAR-H with the SV conversion makes me mad as hell cause I could just use a M4 and Burst three times and possibly kill three times as many people from a longer range. I don't know why that gun hates shooting anything past the range of a ACOG. Is there a defacto best 7.62x51 gun I could try?

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
I seem to be having a hard time disabling the Drassen counter attack. I've restarted 2 or 3 times already, and each time I've made sure the setting in the .ini is set to false, but as soon as I take Drassen, 60 dudes roll up and slap me around. Am I missing something here? This is using the latest 1.13 patch and the JA2 version from GoG?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is the current process for installing 1.13 and using "Wildfire" maps now? I'm not interested in AIMNAS because I want to use NCTH, and a lot of these "WF Maps" downloads seem to conflict with the newer 1.13 SCIs.

AIMNAS actually has a compatibility patch for NCTH now, but if you don't want all the other stuff it adds, you can do the stuff I posted in the LP thread:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I found a wonderful way to do it a while ago that's a hybrid of that method:

Instead of using the AIMNAS files, use the original Wildfire ones here.

The rest was posted by Cream-of-Plenty:

quote:

I installed 1.13, then I downloaded Tais' AIMNAS / WF SCI for the latest version of 1.13 and opened it up. I went into the SCI's Data-AIM folder and grabbed the following files: maps, NPCData, radarmaps, and tilesets. Drop those into the 1.13 folder of your installed game but don't let it overwrite these four files: smguns.sti, smp1items.sti, smp2items.sti and smp3items.sti. Then, go into Data-AIM / BinaryData folder and grab the JA2set.dat file. Drop it into the binary data folder in your JA 1.13 folder.

Hopefully that should do the trick. It's worked fine for me so far!

Using the Wildfire version I linked above instead of the AIMNAS/WF installer, you can follow these exact same steps (you don't have to work about the .sti files though since those are specific to AIMNAS). This will give you fully functional WF maps without having to install AIMNAS. Cream of Plenty's method on its own works as well, but it leaves the maps littered with junk "Item not found" items because they're referencing equipment added by AIMNAS. My method doesn't have these since the maps are based on the original JA2 content only.

That method worked for me.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

TonySnow posted:

I seem to be having a hard time disabling the Drassen counter attack. I've restarted 2 or 3 times already, and each time I've made sure the setting in the .ini is set to false, but as soon as I take Drassen, 60 dudes roll up and slap me around. Am I missing something here? This is using the latest 1.13 patch and the JA2 version from GoG?
Just to make sure you're disabling the right thing, you're setting TRIGGER_MASSIVE_ENEMY_COUNTERATTACK_AT_DRASSEN to False under Strategic Event Settings?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is there a writeup somewhere on what exactly AIMNAS does? I looked at the web page and it was just some guy's blog with nothing relevant that I could see.

Ditto for ... Smeagal's mod or whatever.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Is there a writeup somewhere on what exactly AIMNAS does? I looked at the web page and it was just some guy's blog with nothing relevant that I could see.

Ditto for ... Smeagal's mod or whatever.

http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=288667#Post288667
AIMNAS is smeagol's mod.

AIMNAS stands for Advanced Item Mod with New Attachment System. The main feature is to add over 1200 new items like guns, LBE, armor, attachments, etc. The 2012/latest version implements HAM (another mod) features, the Wildfire maps, and Big Maps (incomplete). The guy doesn't like NCTH (New Chance To Hit - system for determining accuracy vs vanilla JA2) for some reason so he refuses to add it to his mod / it's just a pain in the rear end to rebalance all the new guns to NCTH.

I think I tried using it back in 2009/2010 via SCI (Single Click Installer) and it was kind of a broken buggy mess. I mainly just stick with the latest vanilla 1.13 though I might try adding the WF maps for something different.

Also I just noticed there's a lot of acronyms that should be in the OP for those new to 1.13.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Alright, I attempted this game and it really is quite a lot to deal with out of nowhere, especially since I'm lovely at srpgs.

One thing that happened is that my main fellow randomly started being unable to shoot people, it'd just bring up a grey question mark cursor when I tried to. Sup with this? I can't find anything about it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The current version of AIMNAS is significantly less buggy than the older versions, although there are still a few - in particular, the one I caught a screenshot of earlier, which causes reinforcements to spawn in the center of the map occasionally rather than at the edges.

In terms of what it does, yeah, the main thing it does is add a metric fuckton of new items, some of them really cool that should be in the vanilla game (for example multiple types of camo uniform, including camouflage specifically designed for night ops), some of them okay, and some of them completely and totally loving useless (it adds several civilian guns in .22LR, for example, as well as about fifty billion almost completely identical utility vests, leg rigs, belts, and packs). It also makes a few gameplay and AI changes - you can only train militia in sectors that have some sort of military or police building, for example, and there are more and different kinds of facilities; in addition, armor is now repaired in a different way using a different item, and the stats for it have been tweaked so that there's no one uber-armor, they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

It has a few lovely 'features' as well - for example, the Shift-N auto goggle change no longer works properly because allowing helmets to store NVGs and sun goggles at the same time was unrealistic or something.

Overall I think AIMNAS is a fun experience, and I'm probably going to be playing it a lot, but strictly alongside vanilla 1.13, not as a replacement of it.

Also, Fonz: That generally means he's unconscious.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

Also, Fonz: That generally means he's unconscious.

He was walking around though, man. I had him standing right in front of a guy and he couldn't do a thing.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Fonzarelli posted:

He was walking around though, man. I had him standing right in front of a guy and he couldn't do a thing.

does he have a gun in his top hand slot, and not a gun as well as something else?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

(it adds several civilian guns in .22LR, for example, as well as about fifty billion almost completely identical utility vests, leg rigs, belts, and packs).
Out of curiosity, what kind of vest and leg rigs do most people use on their mercs? Unless I have a merc which is very specialized, like a 40mm grenader, I usually just go with a TT Utility vest and two SAW pouches. The TT Utility vest seems like a pretty usable general purpose vest, and the pouches hold all the extra ammo I could need.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

redreader posted:

does he have a gun in his top hand slot, and not a gun as well as something else?

I literally haven't changed him from the starting pistol. Ohhh man is it because i picked up some ammo off the ground and it like, took his gun out of his hand?

I can't wait to get a handle on this game but whew its a little obtuse considering I was like, 10 when it came out.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Filthy Monkey posted:

Out of curiosity, what kind of vest and leg rigs do most people use on their mercs? Unless I have a merc which is very specialized, like a 40mm grenader, I usually just go with a TT Utility vest and two SAW pouches. The TT Utility vest seems like a pretty usable general purpose vest, and the pouches hold all the extra ammo I could need.

I generally use either the RU-106 or the German Flecktarn vest on regular combat soldiers. TT Utility Vest for my demolitions/engineer guys, Hongkong Police Vest for my grenadiers, LRAK-SAW vest for squad machinegunners. As for leg rigs, at least one of them is always an MP Holster for a backup weapon and ammo, and the other one is usually a canteen/utility combo.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Fonzarelli posted:

I literally haven't changed him from the starting pistol. Ohhh man is it because i picked up some ammo off the ground and it like, took his gun out of his hand?

I can't wait to get a handle on this game but whew its a little obtuse considering I was like, 10 when it came out.

The game is wicked obtuse and the UI takes a ton of learning. It gets really good, though :)

I find it's easier to just play and learn and when your guys all die and you gently caress up, just start a new game.

When you're in the small UI (shows the 6 portrait slots as opposed to the one and the whole inventory) you need to have a gun in the top of the two slots that show - if you're holding an object with the gun underneath, that means you have your gun ready but are holding the other object in your primary hand. You put grenades, binoculars, wirecutters, etc in that slot to be able to use them instead of shooting your gun. Throwing a grenade without doing that will make you throw it without it being a weapon.

Also, this is related - moving things around in your inventory will frequently cost you AP during turn-based mode, so try not to move stuff around that is unnecessary during that time. Moving objects to your back slot (sling) and your hands will not cost AP.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

You can get by with just a TT Utility vest. If you want a holster that can hold a silenced pistol go with the MP holster, if you need extra space for whatever (grenades, med kits, whatever) then get whatever specialized thing you need for that. All you really need to carry is 2 extra magazines, a pistol (doesn't really need an extra magazine, you shouldn't be shooting it that much), a med kit and a gas mask. Everything else can go in the Backpack that you dump at the beginning of the mission. This also changes for grenadiers or guys with LMGs.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Cheshire Cat posted:

AIMNAS actually has a compatibility patch for NCTH now, but if you don't want all the other stuff it adds, you can do the stuff I posted in the LP thread:

Using the Wildfire version I linked above instead of the AIMNAS/WF installer, you can follow these exact same steps (you don't have to work about the .sti files though since those are specific to AIMNAS). This will give you fully functional WF maps without having to install AIMNAS. Cream of Plenty's method on its own works as well, but it leaves the maps littered with junk "Item not found" items because they're referencing equipment added by AIMNAS. My method doesn't have these since the maps are based on the original JA2 content only.

That method worked for me.

Hah, I remember figuring out that solution a long time ago. Thanks for the head's up, I didn't realize AIMNAS was being made compatible with NTCH...that had to have been one hell of a tedious job.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp.

Came around looking for info on the new Back in Action game, and because of all the negative stuff I've read so far, I just decided "gently caress it" and heated up ye olde JA2 again, especially since 1.13 seems to have a lot of new stuff from when I last played.
Rolling with two IMPs, mainly to get me through the tedious early stuff faster, and imo one extra IMP won't make things that super-easy or anything. One's an ambidextrous gunslinger with high leadership, and the other a sniper/hunter with a bit of mechanical ability. Had to restart the game after a few minutes though, because I AGAIN managed to pick the most annoying voice set for my female IMP because it had the best sounding sample. Goddamnit I do that poo poo every time.

As for other mercs, I hired Steroid for the first time, well, ever, and holy poo poo how have I not done this before? That guy is loving hilarious. I do kinda miss my usual homies (Igor, Malice, Fox, Hitman), but I wanted to get some different faces for a change. Ira I will give the same treatment as before, that is using her as a decoy until she eventually dies. I don't care how useful she is as a trainer and/or backup medic, I loving hate her guts. Another option is to keep her alive long enough to marry her to the hillbillies.

EDIT: Oh yeah, about the new skill/trait system. I think it's really cool to finally see accurate descriptions of what does what and all, and the new stuff is really cool, but from the OP I was under the impression that I could pick either one main skill with expert level, or two normal, plus one minor trait. However, I was actually able to pick one skill at expert and one normally, or three normally, AND the one minor trait on top of that, or one expert skill and two minor traits, or other such combination. Didn't even find an .ini option for that. Is it supposed to be like that? All the standard mercs I hired have them as it is in the OP.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 18, 2012

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Cleared out the Orta above ground after a few attempts on Ironman. Get downstairs, run to the side and open the electronic door while Stogie readies his MGL. After about 5 40mm grenades and some supporting fire, the 7 enemies that appeared are down with no injuries to the team. I carefully sneak forward with half of the squad and look northeast because I had heard noises from there. Out of nowhere comes a guy from the southwest and chucks a grenade that detonates nearly all of my explosives, killing five of my mercenaries from full health.

:negative:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Nordick posted:

Welp.

Came around looking for info on the new Back in Action game, and because of all the negative stuff I've read so far, I just decided "gently caress it" and heated up ye olde JA2 again, especially since 1.13 seems to have a lot of new stuff from when I last played.
Rolling with two IMPs, mainly to get me through the tedious early stuff faster, and imo one extra IMP won't make things that super-easy or anything. One's an ambidextrous gunslinger with high leadership, and the other a sniper/hunter with a bit of mechanical ability. Had to restart the game after a few minutes though, because I AGAIN managed to pick the most annoying voice set for my female IMP because it had the best sounding sample. Goddamnit I do that poo poo every time.

As for other mercs, I hired Steroid for the first time, well, ever, and holy poo poo how have I not done this before? That guy is loving hilarious. I do kinda miss my usual homies (Igor, Malice, Fox, Hitman), but I wanted to get some different faces for a change. Ira I will give the same treatment as before, that is using her as a decoy until she eventually dies. I don't care how useful she is as a trainer and/or backup medic, I loving hate her guts. Another option is to keep her alive long enough to marry her to the hillbillies.

You can marry people to the hillbillies? I always mortar the hillbillies. How exactly does not killing them benefit you in game terms?

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

You can marry people to the hillbillies? I always mortar the hillbillies. How exactly does not killing them benefit you in game terms?

You get access to their armoury since you're part of the family now. Also the merc you married to them will be wandering around, going "I can't believe you did this!"

I don't know if the marriage will stop the hillbillies from raiding Cambria and count as solving that quest. Fighting them is a lot more entertaining.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah, you don't really get anything tangible out of marrying someone to them. Just the satisfaction of subjecting Ira to a life of being sodomized by a near-apelike inbred redneck for the rest of her life. Not that I'll be doing that now, she died on the way to Drassen when an enemy jumped out of a bush with a Skorpion machine pistol and riddled her skull with 9x18mm bullets. So I'll probably just mow the hillbillies down as usual. Though I might get Flo just to giver her to them. I remember reading somewhere that she actually likes it.

Other noteworthy stuff so far:
-Spider is kinda scaring me. In Omerta and on the way to Drassen she killed three enemies with highly improbable headshots when I was just trying to lay down suppressive fire.
-I found a Tommy gun with two full drums of glaser rounds. Gave it to Steroid. It's pretty terrifying, though I guess that lummox isn't the most effective user for it.
-My gunfighter IMP with dual Skorpions can reliably hit targets nearly as far away as my sniper with an (unscoped) SKS, and naturally with far less AP cost. She's absolutely wrecking poo poo.

Speaking of pistols, is AET ammo still as ludicrously powerful? The last time I played a pair of pimped-out FN Five-Sevens with AET rounds were borderline OP because they were fantastically accurate, cost a pittance of AP to fire, and did inordinate amounts of damage even to elites.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 18, 2012

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Hahahah, oh Mike. Your ludicrous salary demands drove you into Arulco, where you suffered the worst insult a mercenary can suffer.

Shot to death by Ira.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Give me some fun IMPS you guys have created.

Hiro Protagonist.

Martial Arts. Technician. Throwing. Nonswimmer.

He carries throwing knives, grenades, and a katana blade.

Maxed out physical stats and Mechanical. 50 points in Explosives. 0 leadership, marksmenship and medical.

Sounds crazy right? But with the right support and strategy, a close quarters combat character can be invaluable.

Hiro starts with crazy AP's, so he can run in and out of cover with relative ease. Most importantly, he can steal guns from the enemies hands with very little cost or risk of failure, or run up and knock a soldier out. Both by stealing guns, and looting knocked out enemies, he'll supply your ntire squad with good weapons very easy, very early on. But of course, since he's a melee character, you have to be careful choosing when he engages the enemy.

Used right, he rarely dies, chaulks up an impressive kill count, gets you into any place you want to go, fixes things, blows stuff up and supplies your mission with stolen goods.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Mister Bates posted:

Hongkong Police Vest for my grenadiers
I used to use these. However, the standard rifle magazine pocket on a vest will hold three 40mm grenades while the special grenade pocket on a police vest only holds one. My grenadiers get flecktarn vests now.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I would be so jazzed if Ira could go a single sector without getting stabbed to death.

I finally took drassen mine, drassen and the airport but I lost Fox, Grunty and Grizzly doing it which left me with just my IMP merc (a machinegunner i called DOOM GUY cause I coloured him in like the guy from doom). So I run back and get Ira and now all the poo poo I took is getting re-taken and when I go to fight the bad guys off there are like 100 of them and they run out of the shadows and stab Ira to death.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I named my IMP Kickass the first time I played, and use the voice where he says "That could have been bad, but I have some Kickass Karma" whenever a shot lands near him, and ever since thats all I roll for IMPs, because it sounds incredibly lame.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's a random event that happens exactly once. There's no real timeline to it - sometimes it happens annoyingly early, other times you don't see it until you've already captured most of the towns.

What I do to avoid the bug from hitting one of the really productive minds like Grumm's or Alma's is to take Chitzena first. For some reason, whenever I do this, in 2 weeks to a month, the mine runs out. I then take Drassen and am safe in knowing I won't get crippled.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Do the big bonuses from the Marksman or Hunter perks affect Assault Rifles? If I plan on my IMP using ARs most of the time am I better off taking Marksman or Auto Weapons?

Copper Vein fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 18, 2012

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

They don't. Marksman effects stuff listed under "sniper rifles" at Bobby Ray's, and Hunter the stuff under "Rifles" (and shotguns).

Marksman was a better pick with the old chance to hit, when you could pretty much use a 10x scoped sniper rifle as your weapon of choice at most ranges. With NCTH and the ability to aim bursts and full-auto, I really feel that auto-weapons/machinegunner is the way to go now. It is tough to go wrong with bonuses to SMGs, Assault Rifles, and LMGs.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How do you tighten the aiming circle with burst and full auto? I figured out that you can do it on select-fire weapons by tightening the circle on single shot then changing fire modes, but on full-auto only weapons I don't know how or if you can do it.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

How do you tighten the aiming circle with burst and full auto? I figured out that you can do it on select-fire weapons by tightening the circle on single shot then changing fire modes, but on full-auto only weapons I don't know how or if you can do it.

Use the mousewheel instead of right-click.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Burning Mustache posted:

Use the mousewheel instead of right-click.

For some reason that doesn't work for me, rolling the mouse wheel does nothing.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008

Gadzuko posted:

Just to make sure you're disabling the right thing, you're setting TRIGGER_MASSIVE_ENEMY_COUNTERATTACK_AT_DRASSEN to False under Strategic Event Settings?
I am. The counter attack still happens as soon as I take the last sector of Drassen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

For some reason that doesn't work for me, rolling the mouse wheel does nothing.

Huh, that's odd.
Are you running the game in windowed mode by any chance? That's the only reason why it might not work I can think of off the top of my head.
Even that shouldn't cause a problem but windowed mode can be a bit weird with regards to mouse behavior.