Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I envy the hell out of you, I still remember my first reading. You're past most of the confusing-as-gently caress poo poo and on to the pure awesomeness of books 3-6.

after that, bear with 7-11. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 12.

What always gets me through the books I've read, and will probably get me through 10&11 is knowing that Jordan always goes out with a big rear end finale at the end. It's always been worth it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

I envy the hell out of you, I still remember my first reading. You're past most of the confusing-as-gently caress poo poo and on to the pure awesomeness of books 3-6.

after that, bear with 7-10. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 11.

Man, 11 was awesome, I don't care what anyone says :colbert:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I've decided I'm gonna read the hell out of things until I hit about book 6, and then figure out where to stop so that I can read a chapter a day until the next one comes out.
The end of Book 2 reminded me how awesome it would be to have a WoT HBO series. Fireballs, earthquakes, hundreds of Ghost Riders, and a swordfight above the clouds between giants. YES.
Also though, is it spoilers to talk about that fight and the one at the end of book 1, in terms of who Rand was actually fighting? I mean was it just "random DO avatar", or was he fighting specific Forsaken? Did he kill them or just defeat them? As far as I "should be able to tell" there is one dead Forsaken and 2 "Baal'zamons" dead, although I know that EoTW killed Aginor and Balthamel.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
He was fighting (spoilers?) Ishamael at the end of EotW and tGH. Rand, Mat and Perrin assume he is the Dark One because of the name Ba'alzamon, which is just an alias of Ishamael that he used during the Trolloc Wars a thousand years prior.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Prison Warden posted:

Man, 11 was awesome, I don't care what anyone says :colbert:

This is true. 7 and 8 weren't terrible, 9 was boring until they go to Far Madding and, after that, cleanse saidin, 10 is awful, 11 is pretty much a return to form.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

after that, bear with 7-11. They're just not the 100% HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD THEY'RE hosed OH gently caress THAT'S AWESOME that the first few get you used to. They're not as bad as most people say though, and they give you a ridiculous amount of context for the return to HOLY poo poo WOW WHAT THE gently caress OH GOD in book 12.

Good to know! Book 2 was almost losing me entirely until it got toward the end.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.
I've been doing a good job in keeping with 2 or 3 chapters a day until it hit the end of Book 2. Then I COULD NOT make myself put it down, the climax is amazing :3:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Is there an answer to whether or not Mat or Perrin are re-spun out heroes in the way that Rand is LTT reborn?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
End of Book 2 spoilers, none of the heroes recognize Mat at the end, so no.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
I think I want to do this.

I read the first 7 or so books years ago and got stuck after that, but with Sanderson finishing up the series, I think I'll give them a go again.

How far are you guys up to and is there still the weekly reading assignments?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

This Post Sucks posted:

I think I want to do this.

I read the first 7 or so books years ago and got stuck after that, but with Sanderson finishing up the series, I think I'll give them a go again.

How far are you guys up to and is there still the weekly reading assignments?

Book 2 deadline is today. So the first 14 chapters or so of book 3 is what the deadline for next week should be.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

berenzen posted:

Book 2 deadline is today. So the first 14 chapters or so of book 3 is what the deadline for next week should be.

Yes this. Go team go.

:siren:The Dragon Reborn, Prologue - Chapter 14 :siren:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh Verin, you rascally Aes Sedai you. :allears:

Reported! :ninja:

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Just got the 10th book in the mail. Since I'm such a slow read, I should have slogged through it by the time you guys finish another couple books.

I'm putting off Malazan Book of the Fallen just so I can be ready for the last book to come out next year. This had better be worth it!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Yarrbossa posted:

Just got the 10th book in the mail. Since I'm such a slow read, I should have slogged through it by the time you guys finish another couple books.

I'm putting off Malazan Book of the Fallen just so I can be ready for the last book to come out next year. This had better be worth it!

I'm sorry for your current situation, but remember: It gets better.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I think I missed something.

In TDR prologue, why does Byar think Perrin is a darkfriend and betrayed them?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I think I missed something.

In TDR prologue, why does Byar think Perrin is a darkfriend and betrayed them?

His eyes and the way he freaked out when the wolves died? Remember they think wolves are agents of the Dark One like rats, crows and the like. Plus he's kind of a hateful rear end in a top hat and twists his story because he really, really does not like that Perrin was able to escape.

The Children of the Light are not exactly what you would call tolerant or open-minded. The only reason they haven't burnt... everyone at the torch is largely because they lack the manpower.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Perrin killed two Children of the Light when Hopper died. Thinking he is a Darkfriend is actually completely logical under those circumstances [no reason to spoiler that - I think].

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
It's second book, so no, no reason to spoiler it.

Children of the light are a formalized group of all the same kind of people that in modern day think "If you have nothing to hide, why wouldn't you let the cop search your car?"
They have that sort of attitude of "We're obviously the perfect agents of the light, so if you don't submit to anything we request or demand, it can't have anything to do with principles, you're probably just a darkfriend."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Children of the Light and their leaders are the most incompetent group in WOT, even the members who are turned to the Shadow. The only group worse than them is Elaida's Divided White Tower, but we'll talk more about that when we get to book 4-5

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Byar thinks Perrin is a darkfriend because wolves, warders, and Aes Sedia are all minions of the dark one, or darkfriends. At least to the Children of the Light. There is a line from one of the first two books where someone muses that anyone who would want to control the power that broke the world must be a darkfriend. So you have someone who killed two Children and associates with things he thinks are darkfriends. Then he was spotted at Falme, and the Seanchan were ready for the Children's attack, and they use monsters that could only be shadowspawn. For a group that is willing to call you a darkfriend if you don't let them do whatever they want to you, this is more than enough to be searched for (remember that there is a standing order that anyone found running with/talking to wolves needs to be brought to the Citadel of Light).

I'd argue that both those groups are actually quite competent, especially considering a lot of factors. The Children of the Light have enough going for them that despite pretty much everyone trying to never let them have their way, they run a country and can send troops pretty much anywhere without reprisal. In reference to the agents turned to the Shadow, he has conflicting sets of orders not only from Pedron and the Shadow, but inside the Shadow itself. He actually does a pretty good job of keeping them all happy enough to not kill him.

Spoilers for later books, in reference to Cartoon Man's spoiler.

Elaida's Tower has a giant power struggle going on, with Elaida, the Hall, and the Black Ajah all contending for true control. Despite that, they still manage to abduct the King of Illian, Rand, and infiltrate the Rebels. Sure, they make some really bad blunders, mostly out of pride and Black Ajah manipulation.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

So I'm a little ahead, book 4 right now. Does Galad become a whitecloak? :( I thought he was smarter than that. Although I guess it was foreshadowed with his attitude of "he'd turn you in for doing the slightest thing wrong, just because he feels you didn't live up to his standards."

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Quad posted:

So I'm a little ahead, book 4 right now. Does Galad become a whitecloak? :( I thought he was smarter than that. Although I guess it was foreshadowed with his attitude of "he'd turn you in for doing the slightest thing wrong, just because he feels you didn't live up to his standards."

If you really want to know,
I'm pretty sure he becomes one either in book 6 or 7. However the real drama with his story arc goes down in book 13, Towers of Midnight. I can spoil what happens at that point if you really want me too.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

If you really want to know,
I'm pretty sure he becomes one either in book 6 or 7. However the real drama with his story arc goes down in book 13, Towers of Midnight. I can spoil what happens at that point if you really want me too.

He's actually already an officer at that point. He definitely joins the whitecloaks at around the same time the tower coup goes down--Gawyn I believe references the fact that he'd been spending time with the whitecloaks already while they were out of their mind with worry over the girls.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Quad posted:

Also Galad's story arc and character development seemed quite a bit more interesting than Gawyn's since Gawyn is just a spoiled brat who whines a bunch while Galad actual seems to try to find his way and grow as a person. Basically all the current Andoran royal family sucks and the previous one owned.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
Crossroad of Twilight Spoilers:
I just finished the prologue, and forgot something vital I think. Dobraine was attacked and nearly killed, with a note in the intruders pocket supposably from him saying that the men were to be allowed to collect something from his apartment without issue. I distinctly remember Rand giving Dobraine something to hold onto, but can't remember exactly what it was. Was it the fat man angreal, or maybe a seal to the dark ones prison? I can't even remember if those were possibilities..it all happened so long ago.

Can someone fill me in on what I'm forgetting?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Oh god Gawyn is terrible. There is nothing ever redeeming about him. Even when his story arc is complete (book 12, I think?) he's still an insuffarable twat. I kept praying that he would be the one to die in this series, but hahah no main charecters are ever going to die. Except Rand. :downs: Perhaps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Yarrbossa posted:

Crossroad of Twilight Spoilers:
I just finished the prologue, and forgot something vital I think. Dobraine was attacked and nearly killed, with a note in the intruders pocket supposably from him saying that the men were to be allowed to collect something from his apartment without issue. I distinctly remember Rand giving Dobraine something to hold onto, but can't remember exactly what it was. Was it the fat man angreal, or maybe a seal to the dark ones prison? I can't even remember if those were possibilities..it all happened so long ago.

Can someone fill me in on what I'm forgetting?

The most popular assumption is that Dobraine and Bashere had the Seals, though this is not supported by any actual evidence within the text. Out of 7, there are now 4 broken, 3 intact. Rand has the 3 intact Seals, though where he's put them is not known.

The thing about the specific events here is that Dobraine and Deira were nearly killed in CoT's prologue, which could also indicate that Darkfriends were under orders to try to locate the Choedan Kal access keys prior to Rand's cleansing of saidin.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll find out what these events really were. Davram Bashere and Dobraine Taborwin seem to be faithful/loyal followers of Rand, but Rand is simply not that trusting to place the Seals or the keys under the care of his followers. After all, prior to the cleansing of saidin he kept the Choedan Kal keys under wards himself.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Cartoon Man posted:

Oh god Gawyn is terrible. There is nothing ever redeeming about him. Even when his story arc is complete (book 12, I think?) he's still an insuffarable twat. I kept praying that he would be the one to die in this series, but hahah no main charecters are ever going to die. Except Rand. :downs: Perhaps.

Gawyn has 3 bloodknives, or whatever those speed rings are called. He is going to have the most ridiculous, sweet-rear end death in the entire series, and it's one of the few areas I'm ... almost ... glad Sanderson is writing it instead of Jordan. Although, I wonder what Jordan would do with it :smith:

Vaniljcola
Jul 11, 2009

arioch posted:

The most popular assumption is that Dobraine and Bashere had the Seals, though this is not supported by any actual evidence within the text. Out of 7, there are now 4 broken, 3 intact. Rand has the 3 intact Seals, though where he's put them is not known.

The thing about the specific events here is that Dobraine and Deira were nearly killed in CoT's prologue, which could also indicate that Darkfriends were under orders to try to locate the Choedan Kal access keys prior to Rand's cleansing of saidin.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll find out what these events really were. Davram Bashere and Dobraine Taborwin seem to be faithful/loyal followers of Rand, but Rand is simply not that trusting to place the Seals or the keys under the care of his followers. After all, prior to the cleansing of saidin he kept the Choedan Kal keys under wards himself.

Fires of heaven: I think Rand gave the one he got from Taim to Bashere. Chapter 1 if i remember correctly

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Vaniljcola posted:

Fires of heaven: I think Rand gave the one he got from Taim to Bashere. Chapter 1 if i remember correctly

Just re-read for that section. Lord of Chaos, Ch.2, actually.

That chapter actually does strongly imply that Bashere HAS been keeping one of the seals for Rand all this time. It is also very suggestive, since Taim is the other major name in the room, and he is most certainly a Darkfriend by the time CoT swings around, if not by this time already.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I just read the section where the super girls return to the White Tower after the events in book 2. Holy gently caress did they go full blown retard mode when the Whitecloaks showed up. I WILL NOT BE CHAINED AGAIN!!!:argh: The first of many times Egwene will scream this over the course of the next 10 books.

Also is Faolain ever confirmed to be Black Ajah? I can't remember if it was just a red herring or not. Probably better spoiler the answer if anybody knows.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Cartoon Man posted:

Also is Faolain ever confirmed to be Black Ajah? I can't remember if it was just a red herring or not. Probably better spoiler the answer if anybody knows.

Apparently a red herring. She's a stickler for authority and propriety and didn't like how the supergirls were treated, first when they were special, and then when Egwene was raised as a puppet she didn't like that either. So she swore fealty to Egwene and was one of her chief helpers in taking the Amyrlin Seat for realsies.

Although she's apparently missed the purge because she's camped outside the Black Tower, so she hasn't herself been tested on an Oath Rod yet. But I don't think she is BA.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

arioch posted:

Apparently a red herring. She's a stickler for authority and propriety and didn't like how the supergirls were treated, first when they were special, and then when Egwene was raised as a puppet she didn't like that either. So she swore fealty to Egwene and was one of her chief helpers in taking the Amyrlin Seat for realsies.

Although she's apparently missed the purge because she's camped outside the Black Tower, so she hasn't herself been tested on an Oath Rod yet. But I don't think she is BA.

God its so hard to keep track of where all these sub characters are at, thanks. I can't wait to re-read all the last 3 books or so, I'm sure theres a million other minor details like this I've forgotten.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cartoon Man posted:

I just read the section where the super girls return to the White Tower after the events in book 2. Holy gently caress did they go full blown retard mode when the Whitecloaks showed up. I WILL NOT BE CHAINED AGAIN!!!:argh: The first of many times Egwene will scream this over the course of the next 10 books.

I thought this was a pretty badass moment. I can understand their impatience first with Mat's situation, and also see how they could've thought the Whitecloaks were ready to attack. Verin had to be a total stick in the mud.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It was stupid for Elayne to blurt out, "I am the Daughter-heir of Andor and you will let me pass right now!" and for Egwene to reveal that they came from Falme where bunches of Whitecloaks died. I also don't think it was the smartest move to make the ground explode when Aes Sedai have spent the past 1000 years or so trying to convince the world that they wont attack anybody that isn't Shadowspawn.

All they had to do was shutup and let Verrin talk their way through. This won't be the last time the Supergirls get into trouble like this.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Cartoon Man posted:

It was stupid for Elayne to blurt out, "I am the Daughter-heir of Andor and you will let me pass right now!" and for Egwene to reveal that they came from Falme where bunches of Whitecloaks died. I also don't think it was the smartest move to make the ground explode when Aes Sedai have spent the past 1000 years or so trying to convince the world that they wont attack anybody that isn't Shadowspawn.

All they had to do was shutup and let Verrin talk their way through. This won't be the last time the Supergirls get into trouble like this.

It's really bad when Nynaeve is the most rational of them all and she really doesn't give a gently caress about whatever she does really.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Cartoon Man posted:

Okay well fine maybe it would've been more rational to let Verin talk her way through, but explosions make for a much better read than more dialogue. I gave a small cheer and look forward to more explosions.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Okay well fine maybe it would've been more rational to let Verin talk her way through, but explosions make for a much better read than more dialogue. I gave a small cheer and look forward to more explosions.

Dumais Well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
:siren: The Dragon Reborn - Chapters 15 - 35 :siren:

Alright homies, this book is where I feel like things really pick up. Characters start being badass, 2/3 of the super girls get less annoying (spoiler: Elayne NEVER gets less annoying), and we get some nice plot movement.

For me, books 3-6 are the high point of the series.

• Locked thread