Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Momonari kun posted:

I think Soulbringer was the game that was in that one double pack with Planescape: Torment that was being sold like 10 years ago. I never did try that game, actually.

Edit: Yeah, it was.

http://www.amazon.com/Planescape-Torment-Soulbringer-Combo-Pack/dp/B0012TNASM

Haha, I came to say this. They got the same double pack I did. I was really confused because I had the original release of PS:T and it was 4 discs, this one was two. I still can't believe I sold my original of Torment... Anyway, I never tried Soulbringer either. Any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowborn
Jun 2, 2007

Ripe with radiation!
From what I've heard Soulbringer was pretty drat buggy and just overall janky. Like it would crash every so often and minor things like a rock would break your guy's pathfinding completely. Could be another game I'm thinking of, but the screenshots look very familiar.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Shadowborn posted:

From what I've heard Soulbringer was pretty drat buggy and just overall janky. Like it would crash every so often and minor things like a rock would break your guy's pathfinding completely. Could be another game I'm thinking of, but the screenshots look very familiar.
Nah it's Soulbringer. It was also ugly as hell even when it came out.

I never got far because as mentioned it barely ran so I've no idea if it's actually any good.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Shadowborn posted:

Soulbringer's control scheme flat out sucks. It screams for some sort of keyboard movement control but you're forced to use the mouse to move everywhere which is really unintuitive.

That said, if you can get past the terrible UI or at least get used to it, it's really not that bad of a game. I really liked the maneuver system for combat and figuring out when to use slash/crush/pierce etc. The magic system is interesting too. It's not a stellar game by any stretch of the imagination but it's enjoyable enough if you can get into it.

Never had any issues with bugs myself though, other than control/UI weirdness.

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>
I had this game as a kid. It was pretty awful.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!
I actually liked soulbringer. Finished it too, with both good and bad endings. It was pretty fun (if generic) game setting wise and the leveling system was pretty cool. All the combat was actually motion capped, so it's actually really fun to watch your guy fight, unlike so many other games where it's kinda boring to watch your guy slash over and over. The game somewhat encourages this too, you can preprogram attack combos and then just use a repeating one and watch you guy leap, lunge and stab until you feel the need to take over. In fact this is a good idea if you like to parry, because the computer does the parry timing perfectly and you won't. Of course, if you attack manually your dude will attack faster than in an auto combo, so it's a trade off. And every monster is has different strengths or weaknesses to each kind of attack, physical or magical, so you have to experiment or think ahead.

The three real problems with the game are:

Bugs. The game was released really buggy. For example, the evil ending I mentioned above? I got partway through the ending scene and the game crashed with a scripting error. I can't imagine gog has fixed the bugginess.

Control schemes. IIRC, there is a manual keybaord control scheme. But it's crappier than most other games. It he whole thing was annoying (like gothic level annoying or more) back in the day and I have even less tolerance for that stuff now.

Graphics. The viewable distance is like basically nothing, and the character textures were implemented poorly. Very poorly. The game was not great looking when it came out, is what I'm saying. Of course that matters less now; most games on gog don't look great by modern standards.

Anyway, the most important thing is that I actually had a lot of fun playing it back in the day, so if you're looking for a more chill/subquest-y/explore-y diablo clone game, and are willing to save often and deal with a suboptimal control scheme, check it out!

Edit: I remember the beginning being pretty lovely, but it does get better after you get more levels/options/gear. The controls however never improve.

vmdvr fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 17, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So I just got Thief, loaded it up all ready to play...and the game is completely white when I get in the level.

I've tried using a preset ddfix config that someone else posted, but to no avail. The hud appears to be mostly there, but the entire world is white. Any help?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Color Printer posted:

So I just got Thief, loaded it up all ready to play...and the game is completely white when I get in the level.

I've tried using a preset ddfix config that someone else posted, but to no avail. The hud appears to be mostly there, but the entire world is white. Any help?

That is what I was getting when I tried to use the dynamic gamma settings. Haven't figured out why either.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Age of Wonders series half off this weekend. Shadow Magic is considered the best of them and is basically Age of Wonders 2.5 so unless you really want more campaign missions skip 2.

The first game plays mechanically a bit differently from the others and it's honestly my favorite of the series (better music, better campaign, higher max player count on maps, better races) but it's pretty oldschool and has some cludgy stuff that's fixed in the sequels

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
I have AOW1 and Shadow Magic but I am really tempted to get AOW2 just for the sense of progression. That said I have to admit I also love AOW1 beyond all others, and it is to me quite possibly even better than HoMM2/3. Figuring these games out and eventually mastering them is pretty drat rewarding, because they don't really ever take pity and hold your hand. Such epic battles.

I just wish I'd waited to buy the series until this weekend. I would've had my fix of turn-based fantasy crack for next to nothing.

(Also, regarding thread title... is Anachronox actually going to be released? I remember the demo fondly and wouldn't mind a second chance at playing it.)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Shadow Magic was great fun during the fighting. Some of the spells & spell progression was never quite right though. I remember in the campaigns you could "end turn" for ages on the first mission & get every spell way too early. Then the campaign map spells sucked & also took forever to cast.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

AoW: Shadow Magic is notable for having a fan-patch so good the developers own site links to it instead of the old official one. The community are also working on a new version of the game with a lot of tweaks, changes, and a whole new expansion campaign with cutscenes and all.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Dominic White posted:

AoW: Shadow Magic is notable for having a fan-patch so good the developers own site links to it instead of the old official one.
http://www.triumphstudios.com/shadowmagic/downloads.php
Links to 1.3, the last official patch.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
I got Aow2 a while back. I couldnt really understand the interface or how armies/combat worked. I only played it maybe once or twice so I havent given it a fair shot but can someone tell me, has the series aged well should I try again? I'm a huge Heroes of might n magic fan especially 3 so it seems like something I should enjoy.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 18, 2012

Gaph
May 15, 2007

Thief 2 has been a great game to do a mission a night. It's easy to drop for a few days and pick right back up. Here's your briefing video, objectives and loadout, have fun. Nice the way it's divided into 1-2 hour chunks. Just finished up First City Bank & Trust and loved it, it was huge! Reminded me of the goon who said that the devs built the levels first and then fit objectives in, seemed like learning your way around comes easier than Thief 1. Blackmail is next and that's where I stopped playing last time, mission bugged and couldn't complete it.

Gaph fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 18, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Gaph posted:

Thief 2 has been a great game to do a mission a night. It's easy to drop for a few days and pick right back up. Here's your briefing video, objectives and loadout, have fun. Nice the way it's divided into 1-2 hour chunks.

Thief is pretty great for that. I find it hard to do more than 1-2 missions a night, but on the other hand playing 1-2 missions a night works pretty much ideally.

I've been playing through T2X: Shadows of the Metal Age, the fan-expansion for Thief 2, and it is quality. The first level is kind of poo poo but after that it is classic high-grade thievery. I recommend to anyone who's finished The Dark Project and The Metal Age and wants more.

In fact I'm enjoying Shadows of the Metal Age a lot more than I enjoyed Deadly Shadows, reassuring me that it's not that I've stopped liking Thief, it's that Deadly Shadows isn't very good.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

ToxicFrog posted:

In fact I'm enjoying Shadows of the Metal Age a lot more than I enjoyed Deadly Shadows, reassuring me that it's not that I've stopped liking Thief, it's that Deadly Shadows isn't very good.
The biggest problem with Deadly Shadows for me was that it was really buggy for some reason. Lots of crashes, getting stuck in the ground/props, and save file corruptions.

I watched an LP of Thief 1, so I'm very tempted to get Thief 2.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

jvempire posted:

The biggest problem with Deadly Shadows for me was that it was really buggy for some reason. Lots of crashes, getting stuck in the ground/props, and save file corruptions.

It's been solid as a rock for me; my main complaints are that the levels all feel much more cramped and constrained than in the original games, and that wandering the City between missions and manually selling loot is cool once or twice and a tedious chore thereafter.

quote:

I watched an LP of Thief 1, so I'm very tempted to get Thief 2.

Thief 2 is excellent and I highly recommend it. If you only play one Thief it should probably be Thief 2, since it's the easiest to set up (thanks to TafferPatcher) and also has the biggest library of high-quality fanmissions (not just the Shadows of the Metal Age expansion, but also loads of quality stand-alone maps and mini-campaigns).

I think I slightly prefer Thief 1 overall, but they're both very, very good and Thief 2 gets you a lot more thieving for your $10.

Gaph
May 15, 2007

I'll go off on a crazy limb and say that getting an hour or two of gameplay from a mission that is loaded just once, no transitions, is incredibly important to what makes Thief. From wandering around looking for a way in at the beginning of a mission to snagging the last of the gold on your way out, all happens (not counting quickloads) in one seamless go. Imagine pausing for even a second or two to load the next part would kinda really suck some life out of the game. Dividing a level also tends to isolate gameplay, e.g. any game where you can lose your pursuers by reaching the nearest level transition. Emergent gameplay is possible when all the "actors" are on the same stage at once and can interact with one another. You poo poo a brick when you hear the crescendo of footsteps and doors being thrown open when the guard normally stuck talking to himself on perimeter patrol storms inside looking for blood because you unwittingly alerted him with a careless step on tile floor when he just happened to be within earshot.

:shepface:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Probably an old complaint, but I downloaded UFO: Aftershock from GOG and even installed the 1.21 patch to make it run on Windows 7... zip. Some strange error message about a fatal error (I think). Anyone else have this issue?

Hell, maybe I should just play Arcanum...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Megadyptes posted:

http://www.triumphstudios.com/shadowmagic/downloads.php
Links to 1.3, the last official patch.

It used to link to this page. Wonder when that changed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So whatever happened to Triumph after Overlord 2, anyways?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A hint about Thief that I don't think that you see in the game manual: wooden doors can be bashed open without having to lockpick them with your sword. It may take up to 4 or 5 swings to do this. (Obviously, this is noisy as all hell but saves aggravation on levels where you don't need to be concerned about killing guards and only have to worry about Burricks and the like.) If you think something is a hidden door you can bash it as well, if it makes a noise then it is one. Normal walls don't have sword/blackjack collision on them.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So whatever happened to Triumph after Overlord 2, anyways?

For some reason I thought they were absorbed by Guerrilla Games, but it seems they're still around. They are just really silent about what they've been working on.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mierenneuker posted:

For some reason I thought they were absorbed by Guerrilla Games, but it seems they're still around. They are just really silent about what they've been working on.
Is there still a chance at making an expansion that makes Overlord 2 worth playing?

TheRam
Jan 15, 2009

What do you mean 'no performing monkeys'?
Hey, sorry if this is an obnoxious and common question but how often do games go on sale?

More precisely, I own all of the Might and Magic games from 6 onwards and all the heroes from 3, but I'm living at university (and they're in those old school big boxes back home) and to be honest I quite like the idea of having them on demand wherever I am via direct download.

So, what's the likelihood of the Might and Magic franchise going on sale, or a generally moderate discount that I could apply to them? I've been really hankering for some M&M 6-8 recently. Would be tempted to try the earlier ones but they're before my time.

Another question - I got into M&M with the 6th, I really adore those games and don't give a drat about the graphics, but is the gameplay actually similar in the earlier iterations? Do you feel like you're exploring a big open world with lots of flavour and does it feel clunky in comparison? Realistically what did 6 bring to the series?

Appreciate any feedback folks! Considering delving in Icewind Dale at some point too, but I take it consensus is largely that Baldur's Gate II is generally better? I haven't sunk my teeth into either.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Baldur's Gate 2 is far "bigger" and more ambitious in my opinion; it's not all about combat as Icewind Dale is. BG2 owns bones, I just wish I weren't so bad at it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This time, I swear I am going to play through Arcanum to completion. Years ago I only ever got halfway through the game before my indecision paralyzed me and I'd reroll a different character just to see what would happen.

I'm going full battlemage: blaster-caster abilities from the Pure Energy school (gives you shields and zappy lightning powers) with some melee abilities to back it up.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

TheRam posted:

Hey, sorry if this is an obnoxious and common question but how often do games go on sale?

Another question - I got into M&M with the 6th, I really adore those games and don't give a drat about the graphics, but is the gameplay actually similar in the earlier iterations? Do you feel like you're exploring a big open world with lots of flavour and does it feel clunky in comparison? Realistically what did 6 bring to the series?

First off, something is 50% off every weekend (normally a publisher or a series), and over the holiday they had a massive sale with everything 50% off. Even so, the HOMM / M&M stuff doesn't seem to go on sale very often. It's always among the most popular titles.

M&M 4&5 actually go together to create one giant world, and those are probably the best of the series in my (and lots of other peoples) opinion. Prior to 6 all of the games are truely turn based, as opposed to the real time with pausing thing they get into later in the series. You could honestly probably skip 1&2 due to age and some less user friendly mechanics, 3 is pretty good, and 4 & 5 are great. It's well worth the :10bux: for the package.

Really almost all the might and magic stuff (except #9 or heroes 4) are easily worth the asking price

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GOG in general is kind of brilliant. Snap up a bunch of popular abandonware licenses, make sure they run on modern computers, sell them for peanuts to hungry gamers who'd rather have a good game for a tenth of the price of a new one, and bam!

Reminds me of what Jim Sterling once said. "The only way to beat piracy is to provide your product more conveniently," or some such.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

GOG in general is kind of brilliant. Snap up a bunch of popular abandonware licenses, make sure they run on modern computers, sell them for peanuts to hungry gamers who'd rather have a good game for a tenth of the price of a new one, and bam!
Abandonware really doesn't describe any of the games that have been put in GOG's catalogue. Most of the time, that's a term to make people feel better about pirating no longer commercially available titles, very few games actually fit that description.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Blodskur posted:

Abandonware really doesn't describe any of the games that have been put in GOG's catalogue. Most of the time, that's a term to make people feel better about pirating no longer commercially available titles, very few games actually fit that description.

It's a false term that implies an unsure legal status where no one has a clue who to look at and scream "TAKE MY MONEY!", though many abandonware sites have stopped hosting games sold on GOG, and blah blah blah blah :words: :psypop: DOS and :smithicide: though :unsmigghh:

Can we please never talk about this subject again and have it in the OP?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The entire logical basis behind abandonware is that people KNOW it's technically illegal, but there is also no legal alternative - as licensing and copyright laws are such a minefield, a lot of stuff would be lost forever without bending the rules a little.

Pretty much every AW site worth mentioning will pull stuff from download the moment GOG starts selling it again, because that's exactly what people have been calling for all these years, and the reason why people set up abandonware sites in the first place.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 is far "bigger" and more ambitious in my opinion; it's not all about combat as Icewind Dale is. BG2 owns bones, I just wish I weren't so bad at it.

I rebought it on GOG recently and while I want to replay it, I'm also dreading it. I've started BG2 like 5 times and for one reason or another never got to complete it. One of these days I will, dammit.

My shame goes further than that as I have beaten IWD, but have never finished Planesscape.

Dominic White posted:

The entire logical basis behind abandonware is that people KNOW it's technically illegal, but there is also no legal alternative - as licensing and copyright laws are such a minefield, a lot of stuff would be lost forever without bending the rules a little.

Pretty much every AW site worth mentioning will pull stuff from download the moment GOG starts selling it again, because that's exactly what people have been calling for all these years, and the reason why people set up abandonware sites in the first place.

That's why copyright laws suck. You have this 20 year old game that you bought back in the day and mostlikely no longer have and the company does nothing with now, but yet somehow you are the bad guy for wanting to replay it. What's the point of arguing that games are art if a company is just going to let something fade away? I'm not saying that games should be pirated or anything like that, but I don’t see why a company can’t have an archive of older works that anyone can buy and download for a couple bucks. Hell, GOG if anything should show these publishers that they can rake in a nice profit from these old games by simply assigning a programmer to tweak the game to work on new systems. Perhaps it is not that simple, fast, or cheap to do, but I can’t imagine if wouldn’t be profitable with how GOG is prospering.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

There's definitely a growing interest in distributing older games, repackaged for modern systems. But even if GOG snapped up every license available, there'd still be a solid reason for abandonware sites to still exist - there's a whole lot of games that just can't be distributed because the rights-holders are defunct, or have fallen into the hands of someone with no interest in the games industry, or any number of issues.

It might be technically on the wrong side of the law, but it's preservation far more than piracy. Magnetic media fades, and a lot of this stuff will forever be lost unless someone uploads them, scans the documentation and shares it.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
But there is also the consideration that by having a game widely available on abandonware sites, it could make it less likely to appear legally at some point. If a large part of the potential audience has already got it for free, inevetibly sales will be lower which could make a re-release more touble than it's worth.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Austen Tassletine posted:

But there is also the consideration that by having a game widely available on abandonware sites, it could make it less likely to appear legally at some point. If a large part of the potential audience has already got it for free, inevetibly sales will be lower which could make a re-release more touble than it's worth.
The genius of Gog is that they make the games work on modern systems. Most of the time the abandonware stuff requires infinite struggles to get running, let alone playable.

Kunzelman fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 19, 2012

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Austen Tassletine posted:

The above post on making it easy to install/run is a huge reason, but a smaller reason is that there are a significant number of people who put their money where their mouth is and choose to financially support products they really like.

I own 2 copies of Buried in Time, but I bought it the second it showed up on GOG anyway.

(Anything that shows just a sliver of hope that the Journeyman Project franchise could be financially viable, and I'm all over it.)

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
That's pretty high praise for a game I've never heard anything about... So will I lose much if I start with the Journeyman Project 2 or should I begin with 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Speedball posted:

Reminds me of what Jim Sterling once said. "The only way to beat piracy is to provide your product more conveniently," or some such.

It really is.

I have like, 20+ games that I would have never played beacuse I was too young when they came out. They are perfectly priced so I don't mind losing a few bucks if I do end up getting poo poo I don't like.

[e] I'm loving Age of Wonder, It's like HoM&M 3 but I don't have to worry about waiting a billion turns to get gold/resources and all your units level.