Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

IIRC, backlog stuff is normal priority, currently airing stuff is high.

I'm pretty sure this is it. I've had stuff randomly downloading in the background and then randomly see something that just aired appear and jump to the top of my list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle Conspiracy
May 21, 2002

Jane Goodall watches me pee!

if the episode is the latest from the series it will be set to "High" priority, if it isn't the latest it will get a "normal" priority level.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

LaserWash posted:

Hmmm... Pulled my supernews on a 10 mb cable connection down from 30 to 6 connections... No difference in download speed (unless I need to restart). Max appears to be 1.3 mb/s.

10 Megabits per second is 1.25 Megabytes per second. So you're maxing it out just fine.

Internet service is always advertised in megabits (Mb, big M little b) and SABnzbd displays your download speed in megabytes (MB, big M big B). Google calculator can do the math to covert the two numbers for you.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

tronester posted:

My first thoughts were that this was perhaps bad ram corrupting the files, as I have had that happen before. However, the 4.5 gigabyte files had no issues.

Given how easy it is to run memtest86+, and how frustrating a bad RAM problem can be, I'd suggest running one overnight just to be sure. The larger file may be kicking over into another RAM bank that those multiple 4.5GB files aren't doing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just started using Sickbeard. It's managed to hit the API and pull something successfully that I wanted. However, it dropped it into the standard completion folder for SAnzbd. Is there a way to set Sickbeard to drop it into the folder it's downloading for?

Danforth05
Jun 11, 2011

Why is mice sech cowards?

YouTuber posted:

I just started using Sickbeard. It's managed to hit the API and pull something successfully that I wanted. However, it dropped it into the standard completion folder for SAnzbd. Is there a way to set Sickbeard to drop it into the folder it's downloading for?

I'm assuming you mean a separate folder for TV downloads? There is an option in the web interface to do just that: "Config" -> "Post-Processing" -> "Post-Processing". All you need to do is specify the folder structure. Although, if SABnzbd+ is handling the post-processing, it should be blank, I believe. You can set up post-processing rulesets for SABnzbd+ according to site categories like NZBMatrix's if you want in "Config" -> "Categories".

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

YouTuber posted:

Configure Sickbeard to use a specific category when adding NZBs, like TV Shows, and then configure a post-processing directory. In SAB, configure that category to put files in the post-processing directory, and set the post-processing script to SABtoSickbeard. Once files are finished they'll be moved to that dir, then the script will call Sickbeard to rename/move the file and create whatever metadata you've specified.

Druuge Fuel
Jul 9, 2010

Thanks to this thread and endless googling, I've finally got my usenet up and running. I saw that some of you guys subscribe to "usenetserver.com" with "blocknews" as your backup -- so I did that and also have two 'optional' backup servers in xsusenet.com and my ISPs(which isn't awful and uses Giganews).

I do have some lingering questions:

1. Is there any security risk of not connecting to SABnzbd via SSL? I currently connect to usenetserver, blocknews, and xsusenet using SSL (ISP doesn't offer it) but I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a certificate and make Google Chrome "trust" SABnzbd. I researched and messed around with it for a couple of hours before finally giving up. On a related note, I attempted it in Firefox as well but couldn't even get the sabnzbdstatus extension working so I nixxed that idea.

2. What are your preferred indexing sites? I paid for nzbmatrix (currently down for me) and signed up with NZB.SU as well as the NZBclub search engine. Is there any merit to the invite-only sites like NZBS.org? For torrents, I prefer Demonoid which is invite-only and could trade invites if you wanted. edit: Hmm, it looks like registrations for demonoid are open to the public now. Not sure how long it's been that way.

3. Newsreaders. Are there any newsgroups with actual information and discussion? I'm into filmmaking and videography and would love to engage with a community of similar interests about relevant usenet stuff. I don't really know where to begin with this though.

4. How do you "queue" things using SABconnect+ & Sabnzbd? Does "priority" matter?
:words:

Like I said, I just started usenet so I'm still in my honeymoon period but I can't believe I didn't try it before, it's awesome.

Druuge Fuel fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 12, 2012

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Druuge Fuel posted:

1. Is there any security risk of not connecting to SABnzbd via SSL?
There's zero risk if you're running SABnzbd locally, unless you're scared of people sniffing traffic from inside your computer. If you're connecting to SABnzbd remotely and aren't using SSL, someone could technically sniff your login credentials and gain access to your SABnzbd instance.

Druuge Fuel posted:

I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a certificate and make Google Chrome "trust" SABnzbd.
Getting Chrome to permanently accept self-signed certs is a colossal pain in the rear end. You have to do it at the OS-level, since Chrome doesn't maintain its own list of trusted certs.

Druuge Fuel posted:

2. What are your preferred indexing sites? I paid for nzbmatrix (currently down for me) and signed up with NZB.SU as well as the NZBclub search engine. Is there any merit to the invite-only sites like NZBS.org?
NZB.su + some raw-mode indexer (mysterbin, etc) should be sufficient for pretty much everything. Don't hold your breath for NZBs.org to open any time soon, invites have been closed for years, and won't likely re-open until they finish their "beta" site. It's effectively the same as NZB.su, anyway.

Druuge Fuel posted:

For torrents, I prefer Demonoid which is invite-only and could trade invites if you wanted. edit: Hmm, it looks like registrations for demonoid are open to the public now. Not sure how long it's been that way.
Demonoid has been open-reg for a pretty long time. And even while it was "closed", it was never closed enough to be considered "safe".

Druuge Fuel posted:

3. Newsreaders. Are there any newsgroups with actual information and discussion?
https://groups.google.com. You'll either find a group that's actually out on Usenet, or some other group just on Google Groups. Good luck, though, Usenet has become a pretty desolate wasteland for discussion. And even before it was a desolate wasteland, it was full of spam, crazy people and highly opinionated idiots.

Druuge Fuel posted:

4. How do you "queue" things using SABconnect+ & Sabnzbd? Does "priority" matter?
Click buttons? Priority just means where it gets added in your queue. Think of the queue as being split into three layers, High, Normal, and Low. By default, stuff just gets put into Normal, which is sorted by age (oldest first). By setting something to priorty of "High", it will jump ahead of all the Normal stuff, ignoring post age. Same with the "Low" priority, that will let you quickly send something to the bottom of your queue.

"Force" is a special category which is like High, but it ignores pause state. It means "seriously download this immediately, I don't care if I told you to pause the queue".

Druuge Fuel
Jul 9, 2010

inpheaux posted:

:ssh:

Great info, thank you. I handle remote downloading by having sab sniff a folder in my dropbox account, so no need to worry about the SSL connection then.

To clarify about my post about "queues" I was just wondering if you can set SAB to automate downloading the queue "one at a time". Regardless of my priority settings, it sets aside some bandwidth for everything in queue unless I individually pause them. I would rather dedicate 100% bandwidth to one file at a time (automatically) -- but really, it's not that big of deal.

I haven't been to mysterbin before so I'm glad you mentioned it. Nice.
I hope MSE can stay on point during all of this.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
If you end up using google groups in Usenet discussion groups, you could end up being filtered out by other people's clients. Many will have google groups listed as spam and won't display. If you're lucky they'll have it set to just have your reply as a different color so they know what provider it's coming from. It's mostly a spam issue and people looking down on those who use Google groups.

If you do find a place you want to participate in, I'd try to get a real client.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Druuge Fuel posted:

To clarify about my post about "queues" I was just wondering if you can set SAB to automate downloading the queue "one at a time". Regardless of my priority settings, it sets aside some bandwidth for everything in queue unless I individually pause them. I would rather dedicate 100% bandwidth to one file at a time (automatically) -- but really, it's not that big of deal.
SABnzbd only downloads the top item in your queue. There's no "setting aside bandwidth". You're probably wildly misinterpreting the fact that SABnzbd will extrapolate out completion times for all items in your queue. Those times are based on sequential downloading.

If you're concerned about bandwidth (though, you probably shouldn't be), cap SABnzbd's download speed and don't gently caress around with pausing items.

If for some reason you DO want to pause everything and manually tell one thing to download, pause the whole queue, find the item you REALLY want to download, and set its priority to "Force".

Sperg Victorious posted:

If you do find a place you want to participate in, I'd try to get a real client.
Ah, right, forgot about good old Usenet Elitism. If you manage to find somewhere worthwhile, fire up Thunderbird.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Would my provider(Supernews) have any problems with me running 2 instances of Sabnzbd concurrently on the same IP? Will they know?

I plan to move one to my HTPC for CP/SB stuff and keep my desktop install for random ISOs. I don't see it happening often but the download times might overlap.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Roving Reporter posted:

Would my provider(Supernews) have any problems with me running 2 instances of Sabnzbd concurrently on the same IP? Will they know?

I plan to move one to my HTPC for CP/SB stuff and keep my desktop install for random ISOs. I don't see it happening often but the download times might overlap.

I don't see how they could possibly find out. You should be fine provided you don't go over the set amount of connections you're limited to.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

They might have an issue with the dual logins. I'd email & ask?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Odette posted:

They might have an issue with the dual logins. I'd email & ask?

It'd just look like you set sabnzbd to have more connections.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Multiple instances on the same IP is no problem on Supernews as long as you stay below the connection limit. I often have a download running on my desktop at the same time as Sickbeard kicks something off on my server and have never had a problem.

Naes
Jun 20, 2007
I think I will bite the bullet and get access to usenet to see what its all about; I havent used newsgroups for at least 10 years, back when they were all provided free by ISPs

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which provider is best? I see all sorts of posts about giga/supernews having tons of DMCA takedowns, and tons of people saying the same is happening with Astraweb too?

Is there a "best choice" these days? or just same poo poo, different pile?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Naes posted:

I think I will bite the bullet and get access to usenet to see what its all about; I havent used newsgroups for at least 10 years, back when they were all provided free by ISPs

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which provider is best? I see all sorts of posts about giga/supernews having tons of DMCA takedowns, and tons of people saying the same is happening with Astraweb too?

Is there a "best choice" these days? or just same poo poo, different pile?

Same poo poo different pile, yes.

I'd get a main account from the OP. Supernews is what I use, and would recommend. Haven't had any problems with them, but YMMV.

And have a block plan for backup, just in case there's an incomplete. Mine's Astraweb but I haven't used it in a while so take a look at Blocknews as well.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Astraweb is offering 10mbit unlimited for $20 USD a quarter and 1TB block accounts for $50 USD.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Sperg Victorious posted:

Astraweb is offering 10mbit unlimited for $20 USD

That's a pretty good deal, maybe good enough to drop Supernews next month.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sperg Victorious posted:

Astraweb is offering 10mbit unlimited for $20 USD a quarter and 1TB block accounts for $50 USD.

What's better, Supernews or Astraweb? Or are they pretty much the same?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
You're going to need a backup server either way. Supernews has DMCAs. Astraweb will get random missing blocks. It's a toss up.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I use Supernews and Blocknews as a fill server, I can count the number of incompletes from the past year on one hand. I think for $9 or whatever they are pretty much the best option out there.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Is there anybody here using FrugalUsenet? For $5.99/month, I get 300 days retention and SSL. I'm currently using SuperNews right now but for $4 less per month (I'm unemployed right now so every penny counts), I'm thinking of switching because almost all of my downloads are newer releases. I just want to get some feedback from current users.

Thanks in advance.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I use Supernews and Blocknews as a fill server, I can count the number of incompletes from the past year on one hand. I think for $9 or whatever they are pretty much the best option out there.

I have astraweb instead of supernews and I can say the same thing. Except I pay the $94 a year plan, which is around $8 a month average.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Demented Guy posted:

Is there anybody here using FrugalUsenet? For $5.99/month, I get 300 days retention and SSL. I'm currently using SuperNews right now but for $4 less per month (I'm unemployed right now so every penny counts), I'm thinking of switching because almost all of my downloads are newer releases. I just want to get some feedback from current users.

Thanks in advance.

I'm using it for that exact reason. 300 days is more than enough. A block account as backup for rare old downloads and everything's nice.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
300 days used to be a lot. I mean A LOT!!!!!

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT

sharktamer posted:

I'm using it for that exact reason. 300 days is more than enough. A block account as backup for rare old downloads and everything's nice.

Thanks for the insight.

I just saw somebody mentioning about Astraweb's 3-month deal for $20. That's $6.67/month on the average for the same 1200+ days retention or only 67 cents more than FrugalUsenet. After the lapse of the first three-month period, can it be renewed for another three months and so forth? Because if that would be the case (instead of a one-time thing), that would be so worth it and I might just get that over FrugalUsenet.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Demented Guy posted:

Thanks for the insight.

I just saw somebody mentioning about Astraweb's 3-month deal for $20. That's $6.67/month on the average for the same 1200+ days retention or only 67 cents more than FrugalUsenet. After the lapse of the first three-month period, can it be renewed for another three months and so forth? Because if that would be the case (instead of a one-time thing), that would be so worth it and I might just get that over FrugalUsenet.

As someone pointed out, it caps at 10 Mb/s. It's not awful (my average downloads cap at 1.8 MB/s anyway), but it's something to keep in mind.

I'm considering it, but I've been riding their $11 Kleverig Special for a while now, and I'm afraid of changing now that they've bumped the price back up to $15.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

I think that's fine by me. I have sucky Internet anyway (5 Mbit/second max) so it won't bother me. Thanks for the input. I'll make the switch after this billing period with Supernews ends.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Gunslinger posted:

Same setup I'm using with similar results. I had one file try to get repair blocks and fail to find everything, and one other thing (that was pretty obscure) that it couldn't finish. That's out of hundreds of successful results. No complaints here.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Demented Guy posted:

Thanks in advance.

Also using it and it is also great. out of this world retention is over rated these days.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

SlipperyNipple posted:

out of this world retention is over rated these days.

Seeing all my downloads from > 500 days I wouldn't see 300 days retention as something worth paying for.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Shy posted:

Seeing all my downloads from > 500 days I wouldn't see 300 days retention as something worth paying for.

Yeah. I'm not one who generally knows about things in real-time, so I rely on the backlog a lot. Also, I have to think (speculate) that the existence of such extensive retention means that there's a lot less reposting than there used to be.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The Modern Leper posted:

Also, I have to think (speculate) that the existence of such extensive retention means that there's a lot less reposting than there used to be.
This is true. Back when retention was lower, something would be re-posted as long as it was still popular. Now the only time you see dupes is if it's different groups vying for the same cred, or if it's slightly different versions of the same content.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I setup a friend with XBMC on an apple TV, I originally planned to run sabnzbd on the system itself but due to limited resources I could see serious performance issues when running par2.

So, I'm asking for advice on how to configure everything. What I've done is setup sabnzbd and sickbeard on his desktop computer. The movies will be hosted on the ATV however I don't want it to download directly to it since it's over wireless and I'm worried about the connection being interrupted.

So, what I want to do is:

• Download to desktop
  • When completed Push files to ATV
  • Only remove file when copy is completed

Recommendations?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I'm getting slow-downs with astraweb recently. It will download all day at 25mbit/s (my ISP max) and then suddenly vary wildly between 0kb/s and 500kb/s. I've tried switch between SSL and non-SSL and different ports. Any idea what's going on?

ISP is Verizon FIOS if it matters.

duz posted:

Yes. I probably should fix that up.

Please do :( I'll even donate a few dollars your way once it's working again if you have a donate button anywhere.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2012

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

hayden. posted:

I'm getting slow-downs with astraweb recently. It will download all day at 25mbit/s (my ISP max) and then suddenly vary wildly between 0kb/s and 500kb/s. I've tried switch between SSL and non-SSL and different ports. Any idea what's going on?

ISP is Verizon FIOS if it matters.

Please do :( I'll even donate a few dollars your way once it's working again if you have a donate button anywhere.

If you want to fix it yourself:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3481331&group_id=247512&atid=1305821

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Awesome, thanks.