Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Hey guys, I apologies if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I and a friend have started a small development team and are working on a 3D Space combat game. we are a couple months into the project and have a few working prototypes already. We desperatly need a 3D artist that is skilled and motivated to work with us and join our team. We intent to sell this game for profit once it is ready and want to provide compensation to the team, the can be handled in a few different ways. The ideal way and the way that we plan to do it is that money made will go towards paying us full time to continue development on the game and/or a new title. For the artist in question if they do not have a desire to stay on the team we could work out a royalty agreement.

I need someone that can model and texture assets for us. general poly range will be from 500 - 2000 for each piece, now the entire concept behind our ship designs is that they are totaly modular and the player builds the ship they want to pilot - this is already working and in game.

Here is a link to the thread I made in games with more info: In Development - Kinetic Void

I am doing a sieries of update videos once each week, here are the three I have done so far. The first two are not narated but Ihave started doing this as of update 3.

Update 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YErY0DaWgY

Update 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYfDuF1m4Ug

Update 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjEa7b0rvvo

And here are some examples of ships I have made using our ingame ship yard - these assets used are awful, but its what I am capable of (thus our need for an actual artist)

Again, sorry if this is not the place to post this kind of reply, but this thread holds my exact target audiance.

If you are interested please send me an email: Sean@BadlandStudio.com or a PM here on SA.

Another alternative is to join us in the TeamSpeak server I run for goons
Camping The Stairs

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

New version of Zbrush coming out in a few days.

Looks badass as always. Really curious about the new retopo tool they are working on.

How am I just now hearing about vector displacement? Wow. Is this the new replacement for normal mapping??

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'm a bit confused on ZBrush pricing. I've heard they charge for each new major release (v3, v4, v5), but I've also heard other people say that once you buy, you get free updates for life no matter the version number. Which situation is actually true?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I'm a bit confused on ZBrush pricing. I've heard they charge for each new major release (v3, v4, v5), but I've also heard other people say that once you buy, you get free updates for life no matter the version number. Which situation is actually true?

I don't know about "for life", but I bought at version 2 and haven't paid for anything since. I don't ever recall seeing a guarantee that I get free updates and I'm usually pretty diligent about noticing things like that. I think it's a pretty smart policy to keep people from jumping ship when a competitor comes out with a new, cool feature that they need time to implement for Zbrush.

Maybe what you've heard is that the price for new purchases gets updated with each major release? I remember paying about $450 or $500 for version 2, but just noticed that new copies are something like $700.

Holy crap, I just noticed that the next update will be like my 9th or 10th free update since I bought the software. That's pretty awesome.

Listerine fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 22, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah, it is supposed to have free upgrades for life.
A great deal regardless, considering how fast they develop the tools.

Considering taking one of the classes at Visualarium.com with Ryan Kingslien and Paul Gaboury. Anybody have any opinion on Kingslien's school? The free webcast I saw with Cesar Dracol wasn't bad and Paul Gaboury and Kingslien really know their stuff.

Here is my messing around in Zbrush 4R2. Dynamesh is such so fun to use. Especially with the mesh insert brush. This started from a sphere.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 22, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Slightly OT, but Adobe's having a student/teacher sale until the 3rd; up to 80% off education editions of most products online. poo poo becomes cheap as.

Use code SAVE80EDU.

Keep in mind you'll need valid proof of eligibility (student ID, teacher contract/ID, etc)

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Travakian posted:

Slightly OT, but Adobe's having a student/teacher sale until the 3rd; up to 80% off education editions of most products online. poo poo becomes cheap as.

Use code SAVE80EDU.

Keep in mind you'll need valid proof of eligibility (student ID, teacher contract/ID, etc)

Wow that is an amazing deal, CS5.5 Master for $180, or even just Photoshop CS5.5 Extended for $40. also Adobe Student/License editions are valid for Commercial use!

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sigma 6 posted:

New version of Zbrush coming out in a few days.

Looks badass as always. Really curious about the new retopo tool they are working on.

How am I just now hearing about vector displacement? Wow. Is this the new replacement for normal mapping??

Vector displacement maps displace the mesh like traditional displacement except it's not limited to displacing polys along their normals. It can displace at a vector coming from the normal defined by the colour of the the pixel in the map as well as the strength. What it means is you can get much nicer creasing, undercutting and inflation type details out of a displacement map on a low poly object.

Mudbox has had it for years and ZB has been really late in getting it.

If only ZB could go 64 bit and get proper texture painting tools in UV space it would be awesome.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

The word is that zbrush 5 will support 64bit. I am just not sure how far off it is. The fact that vector displacement supports undercutting / bent normals is pretty crazy to me.

:-o

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, I just went looking through their releases on zbrushCentral and they do mention 64 bit ZB 5 in the coming months. I'm so sick of getting to around 16mil polys and hitting the limit of the amount of ram it can use. Or less if using lots of layers and stuff

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

I'm so sick of getting to around 16mil polys and hitting the limit of the amount of ram it can use. Or less if using lots of layers and stuff

You can bump that up in the preferences FYI. I've had models over 40 mil.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can go into the preferences and turn it up to 50 mil max, but if you subdivide a single model above around 16mil needs to use more than 3-4gb of ram which it can't do running in 32bit right? It starts using the pagefile and becomes super slow and unuseable.
This was my understanding of the situation anyway, would love to be proved wrong

*edit*

Self portrait, I'm actually far uglier than this in real life

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 25, 2012

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

EoinCannon posted:

Yeah you can go into the preferences and turn it up to 50 mil max, but if you subdivide a single model above around 16mil needs to use more than 3-4gb of ram which it can't do running in 32bit right? It starts using the pagefile and becomes super slow and unuseable.
This was my understanding of the situation anyway, would love to be proved wrong

*edit*

Self portrait, I'm actually far uglier than this in real life

BABY RUTH! CHUNK LOVES BABY RUTH!

I'm always amazed at what people do with ZBrush. How long does it take to model something like a face, or is there like a 3D scanner that makes it easier?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That sculpt took about 3-4 hours on saturday afternoon.
For human heads I sometimes start with a low poly basemesh I made similar to this, although probably a little better laid out

Lately I've been starting with a sphere and using dynamesh to practice building all the forms from scratch more.

There are not many 3d scanning solutions affordable or practical for home use yet. Actually using kinects and ps3s and photosynths there probably is but for me that would defeat the purpose of the excercise.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2121&Itemid=360
Yay houdini 12 is out! Now I can finally start applying for jobs once I get my reel together.

Definitely check it out if you're at all interested. Its light-years better then 11, and really a massive upgrade in software all around.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Welp.. Sony New Mexico is shutting its doors..
http://vimeo.com/9946900

Sony did the above short to get VFX folks to consider moving to New Mexico to SPI's facility out there in 2006/2007.

There's always a risk going to a satellite office. The common lures is lower cost of living. You can either have a studio apartment in LA, or a Mc Mansion at the other facility. Which isn't a problem if there is other studios there, but more often enough, you get trapped in a one studio town. Sort of like what happened with Cafe FX in Santa Maria... when they closed up, the employees either had to leave or find another field to work in to stay there.

Sony New Mexico is closing up in a few months, and trying to get people to move to Vancouver or back to LA.

So yeah, a reminder that you are perpetually stuck in major media hubs and have an exit strategy in case you work anywhere strange.

This whole industry is going into the toilet, I'm turning into one of those grumpy jaded types :argh:

Everyone and their dog is opening up studios in Vancouver, "it's such a nice city" blah blah blah, then you look at the cost of real estate there.. it's cheaper to live in LA...

It's funny, because you got studios trying to get Americans to go up to Vancouver, then a few months later they're calling back asking you to work in LA to pick up work they couldn't do in Vancouver.

Ah well live by the tax credit, die by the tax credit.

Speaking of which, one of my friends got let go in a Studio in Toronto... things there have gotten so bad that Students out of school are willing to work for months at a time for free. Interns!

Internships isn't a new thing, but I mean here in California they pay them, and when I was in Canada they generally got paid a little money, or if they were unpaid they basically didn't touch any production work. Now that's changing at a few places, and students being students won't stick up for themselves or realize that the situation is technically illegal [you could go over back wages]. Of course they are terrified about being "blacklisted" and never working in the industry again if they dare mention anything about getting paid...

So what did my friend do? He tried to get the "free labor" paid jobs at other studios... which some of the interns did take him up on, and they went to a paid job instead but the studio figured something was up and leaned on a few interns to get them to rat out who was saying what and heads rolled.

Ah well at least he stood up for his beliefs... it didn't help that there was some sort of teacher at a college who worked part time at that studio and was funneling interns into that studio saying its normal to work unpaid.

That's hosed up.

Most of my friends took a trade for 3 years and got a $90,000/yr starting salary in the oil industry in Alberta. Their programs ran them about $2000-3000/year at college. Then you get the creative industry where 90% of the graduates don't get work in that field and they're willing to work for nothing out of college. I guess art programs now just gloss over the business side of things and the graduates get killed when they go on the job hunt.

Bleh...

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 2, 2012

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Naw, nevermind.

Travakian fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Mar 3, 2012

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Trintintin posted:

Yay houdini 12 is out! Now I can finally start applying for jobs once I get my reel together.

Definitely check it out if you're at all interested. Its light-years better then 11, and really a massive upgrade in software all around.

Cool! I gotta try this out.

EoinCannon: Are you bald? :)

Seriously though, is that your basemesh? The edge flow seems kinda wonky.

Do you know how to clear tools out of the tool palette? I noticed when you save a ZPR, you end up saving ALL the tools in your tool palette, which can make the file sizes really large.

LLJKSiLk: Check this out.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 2, 2012

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a shaved head that is pretty close to bald

The pic in my post was there as an example as I didn't have my basemesh at work, I found it on GIS.

sorry, I never really save .zpr I just use .ztls

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

EoinCannon posted:

I have a shaved head that is pretty close to bald

The pic in my post was there as an example as I didn't have my basemesh at work, I found it on GIS.

sorry, I never really save .zpr I just use .ztls

Heheheh - I am pretty close to bald too. I blame the monitor radiation and bad genes.

Anyhoo, I like being able to hit Ctrl + S or Ctrl + O to save and open zbrush projects. I don't like it saving ALL my tools each time I do that though. There must be a setting somewhere . . .

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Trintintin posted:

Was the starving artist edition always an annual license? For some reason I thought it was just one payment of $99.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Listerine posted:

Was the starving artist edition always an annual license? For some reason I thought it was just one payment of $99.

They changed that with 12. Its now an annual thing if you want the Apprentice HD license (which allows un-watermarked hd renders among other things), normal Apprentice is still free to my knowledge though.

Their reasoning is that with 12 they are working a lot harder to continue to update the software and make something like 12.5 more of a huge update rather then just bug fixes. Because of this they see the yearly fee as more of a 'paying to get awesome updates as soon as they're ready' type of deal. The R&D guys still have long lists of very cool things waiting to be implemented, so as much as I was initially against the yearly fee, I do think it will be worth it.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Travakian posted:

Naw, nevermind.

I probably said too much, if you worm around for dirt on interns there was a recent flare up on a Canadian animation website a few weeks ago...

The guy involved doesn't want any more attention than its required at this point. I'm pushing him to do more about it and we'll see where it goes...

Graduates who work for free are stupid. It lowers the value for those of us who work for a living. A lot of guys are upset about it in the industry but at this point they go.. gently caress it, just talk about art.

It goes back to the cheerful subject that 95% of animation studios are a few months away from bankruptcy :) Or they are living on unearned income. [using next jobs downpayment to pay the last jobs bills].

Or the old classic, Live by the subsidy, die by the subsidy...

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Geared Hub posted:

It goes back to the cheerful subject that 95% of animation studios are a few months away from bankruptcy :) Or they are living on unearned income. [using next jobs downpayment to pay the last jobs bills].

Or the old classic, Live by the subsidy, die by the subsidy...

This is pretty much why I got out of the industry. Every studio I worked for was basically operating on a hand to mouth budget, and the constant layoffs after every project finally got to me. The breaking point was after I put myself out there for the company I worked for, moved across the country for them to their new studio to supervise, then worked for 3 years as the work slowly dried up to the point that we were layed off more than we were working.

It was during the last project that the studio worked on, Looney Tunes Back In Action, where the staff was down to me, the boss, and two other guys. We had been relegated to scanning in animation frames with a regular scanner, as they were too cheap to buy a professional belt-fed scanner. So I was scanning in frames one by one, and after I had done about 20,000 of those by hand I just said gently caress it and quit on the spot. Moved back to Vancouver, found the industry was pretty much the same here (and found their Vancouver studio was now populated with the most humorless, stick-up-their-asses, prima-donna artfags I had ever seen) and got entirely out of the industry.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is pretty much why I got out of the industry.

What do you do now / do you use any of the skills you had spent a career building?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Travakian posted:

What do you do now / do you use any of the skills you had spent a career building?

Now I work in a hospital in their Sterile Supply department. Not very glamorous at all, but I've got insane job security, rockin' benefits, and I make more now than I did working in animation. It's great now, but it was a little galling when I first got the job and it was like "Wow, I took one month of classes that cost me about $3000 for this job, and now I make way more than I did after a year of animation schooling that cost me $20,000."

Now any artistic endeavors are purely for fun, and I like it more this way. The last thing I wanted to do after a day at the animation studio was more creative work, and so everything creative I did was for corporate animation-pimps. Now I mess around with whatever artistic medium and I know I've got a solid job to back it up.

spottedfeces
Aug 7, 2004

War is Hell
Bit of a semi-surreal piece that I shamelessly stole from a quick clip of a music video.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Real-time material work over the weekend. A patina'd bronze material in UDK (click for bigger):

It looks pretty good, especially when running around it in-game. I've done some more work on that concrete as well, but I'll show that later.

https://instagram.com/mutatedjellyfish/
https://www.artstation.com/mutatedjellyfish

Jebediah Kerman
Dec 30, 2008
I really want to get back in to 3d modeling, it's been forever. The last program I was learning was Zbrush.

As I've been working with vectors and have become obsessed with using them I'd really like to go back and give a go at NURBS as I never gave a hoot about using them.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Geared Hub posted:

Does the CG industry not really make that much money, or are the profits just not being shared among the workers?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Listerine posted:

Does the CG industry not really make that much money, or are the profits just not being shared among the workers?

The animation houses live on government subsidies and as a service to film studios that pit them against each other in bidding wars.

The owners often pack with money that they owe their employees but since there isn't any union and the workers are oftentimes kinda adverse to risk, they get nothing. Happened often in Montreal and other places, google the studio Meteor if you want to know more. The owners actually pulled that trick off TWICE.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Unbelievable. As much as I hate being a teacher, at least there is more job security in that vs. not knowing in 6 months if you have a paycheck or not. Of course part time teaching is close to the same thing . . .

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
When I was still working in the industry, I had one manager who was great at getting us projects, but he did so by putting the most ridiculously low bids you could imagine. What? You mean you guys can't complete a full season of 22 episodes in 6 weeks? WHY CAN'T YOU GUYS WORK FASTER!!!! It didn't help that the night crew was also more concerned with being hippy, partying, best bros fer life dudes than actually getting any work done (and they had an alcoholic on staff who spent more time sleeping at his desk than working).

It kind of gave me a perverse pleasure as the company racked up massive late delivery penalty charges because that jackass decided to underbid the competition by 500%.

Working on "Maggie & The Ferocious Beast" and "Rescue Heroes" took years off my life. The only really good time I had at the company was doing a tiny bit of work on the Powerpuff Girls Movie, but I didn't do much on that because I was away from the company for awhile and only came back at the tail-end of that project. Same with Looney Toons Back in Action. The little ink & paint work I did on that one after the mind-numbing scanning work was cool, as that was probably the last time WB actually produced any high-quality Looney Tunes material (the quality of drawings I mean, the movie itself was abysmal).

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Working on "Maggie & The Ferocious Beast" and "Rescue Heroes" took years off my life.

great googly-moogly

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Hedgehog, how come you didnt just go into arch viz or something? It's pretty relaxed with good pay, i've not worked a weekend in 12 months and each job is mostly your own to manage and work up so theres a good sense of ownership. Seems odd to blow off a whole industry because tv/film is rough.

I do want to do a year or two in tv/film for the sake of checking it off a list, but i'm not sure when i'll get round to it. Maybe in a couple years, need to stop hearing horror stories...

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

cubicle gangster posted:

Hedgehog, how come you didnt just go into arch viz or something? It's pretty relaxed with good pay, i've not worked a weekend in 12 months and each job is mostly your own to manage and work up so theres a good sense of ownership. Seems odd to blow off a whole industry because tv/film is rough.

I do want to do a year or two in tv/film for the sake of checking it off a list, but i'm not sure when i'll get round to it. Maybe in a couple years, need to stop hearing horror stories...

I'm taking a chance here but how much are you paid in arch viz anyways? If you don't see any problem in telling me but you don't want to write it here you can send me an email, I know it's an unusual question but thought i'd ask seeing as there isn't any kind of base rate and depends on the studio a lot.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

cubicle gangster posted:

Arch viz was just never my thing. But on top of that, at the time my 3D skills had really atrophied. I had been working in 2D for so long with no real chance to work in 3D, the industry basically passed me by as new software, technologies, and techniques came and went.

I may yet get back into it, but I've got a ways to go to bring myself back up to speed with the latest software packages and modeling techniques out there these days.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This started out as a sketch this afternoon and then turned into a typical zbrush wrinkle fest, I like the way it turned out though.
I made a new basemesh for another model I am working and I kind of wanted to try pushing it around to very different proportions and see how it would hold up
*edit* I pinched the eyes from the other model also

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
How did you setup the eye material for your character? It's pretty sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Listerine posted:

What Odddzy said.

That being said... the CG industry is a very broad brush. And for the most part it's a non profitable business unless you are an content owner. Most times you are a vendor in some capacity, that is you are contracted by someone else to generate images or content to a party who makes the profit.

Now it depends on what aspect of the industry you are looking at, In my case I'll look at film/motion picture work and television which is a big chunk of the industry that people want to go into.

Games is the other big part, but that suffers from slightly different issues...

There's a few blogs you can follow that keeps track of some of the issues facing the VFX/Animation side of the CG industry:

http://vfxsoldier.wordpress.com/
http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/

There's a limited talent pool that can push out quality vfx and aniamtion and the studios are treating us like some bunch of nomads who is willing to move every few months to work on y movie in z city where z city is wherever the best tax credits are being offered.

Vancouver is the biggest scam right now for outsiders, lots of folks down in California are being lured there for work then they realize how loving expensive Vancouver is compared to LA area.

Add to that you have 1000's of animation/3d grads being pumped out into the market every few months with no jobs and you got a ugly situation.

Ugh.. I'm Jaded... but hell...

Let's talk about art, when i get some free time I'll post up some houdini example files you dudes can download and play around with....