Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Neorxenawang posted:

He might just really enjoy the Blood War and not want to come back for such a lame reason as saving the world.

"I am a sexy, shoeless, DEMI-FEIND OF WAR!"

Of course that just raises the question of weather or not any side would want him since he would probably just end up winning the whole drat conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Blood War II: Hell and the Abyss vs Belkar.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

wdarkk posted:

Blood War II: Hell and the Abyss vs Belkar.

What about the Yugoloths? Would they just sit it out?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Why do people think Belkar's going to be dying soon?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The Oracle made a point about how he should savour his next birthday cake, I think there might've been something else.

It does rather fit with Durkon's heavily-prophecised death, though - they could lose a couple members in a hard fight here for a big shake-up before moving on to the finale at the final gate.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Because the kobold oracle flat out said he would before the in-comic year is over, and that tends to put readers on edge whenever it looks like things could get remotely dangerous for the group. Undoubtedly this is exactly what Rich Burlew wanted to achieve.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
We actually know that Belkar has less than 7 weeks to live thanks to what Roy says here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

I am not sure how much time has passed since then but at least a few weeks. So that's how we know his death is soon, likely in this confrontation.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Good find.

I don't see them recruiting Kobold McLitterbox though. He doesn't seem to be much of a character beyond "requisite kobold running gag." Matter of fact until Vaarsuvius popped back up again I'd entirely forgotten he was there at all.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

My Lovely Horse posted:

Good find.

I don't see them recruiting Kobold McLitterbox though. He doesn't seem to be much of a character beyond "requisite kobold running gag." Matter of fact until Vaarsuvius popped back up again I'd entirely forgotten he was there at all.

Most of the characters were one note gags until Rich decided they weren't and characterized them. He could easily do the same here.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Because the kobold oracle flat out said he would before the in-comic year is over,

Did the oracle say "die"... or say "draw his last breath - ever"?

Theler posted:

We actually know that Belkar has less than 7 weeks to live thanks to what Roy says here: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html

I am not sure how much time has passed since then but at least a few weeks. So that's how we know his death is soon, likely in this confrontation.

See above, although I am pretty sure that whatever is going to happen to him is going to happen at this Gate.

Dolash posted:

The Oracle made a point about how he should savour his next birthday cake, I think there might've been something else.

It does rather fit with Durkon's heavily-prophecised death, though - they could lose a couple members in a hard fight here for a big shake-up before moving on to the finale at the final gate.

It would be hilarious if whatever will happen happens just after he finished the cake.

Also, I doubt both Durkon and Belkar die here. Although it would be incredibly interesting to watch the Order of the Stick become suddenly in need of a cleric while Redcloak is in need of adventurers that can defeat Xykon...

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

Did the oracle say "die"... or say "draw his last breath - ever"?

Also, I doubt both Durkon and Belkar die here. Although it would be incredibly interesting to watch the Order of the Stick become suddenly in need of a cleric while Redcloak is in need of adventurers that can defeat Xykon...

While that is what the oracle said, that does not leave many possibilities. Besides becoming an intelligent undead not breathing limits his options. It rules out resurrection. It is unlikely that oots will want to create a lich Belkar so someone else must help him become undead.

I also doubt Durkon will die right now because Rich mentioned having plans to give him more personality.

For reference what the oracle said: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0572.html

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Theler posted:

Well its been long enough for Haley's hair to grow back so I'm guessing the 7 weeks are almost up

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rumda posted:

Well its been long enough for Haley's hair to grow back so I'm guessing the 7 weeks are almost up
Haley grew her hair back magically. No dice.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Theler posted:

While that is what the oracle said, that does not leave many possibilities. Besides becoming an intelligent undead not breathing limits his options. It rules out resurrection. It is unlikely that oots will want to create a lich Belkar so someone else must help him become undead.
Like maybe a certain pale-skinned, pointy-toothed lizard cleric who it just happens was dragged out of his comfortable kingdom-running gig to go adventuring in search of exactly the same thing the Order is looking for?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cabbit posted:

Most of the characters were one note gags until Rich decided they weren't and characterized them. He could easily do the same here.
I'll admit if I was shooting for replacing a character with one no one would expect I'd deliberately make the replacement seem like another one-off joke character. But then maybe that's what he wants us to think :tinfoil:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

CapnAndy posted:

Haley grew her hair back magically. No dice.

Did she? I haven't reread the latest arc all the way through for a while.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Like maybe a certain pale-skinned, pointy-toothed lizard cleric who it just happens was dragged out of his comfortable kingdom-running gig to go adventuring in search of exactly the same thing the Order is looking for?

It's possible, but it is a lot of effort to go through for someone you know nothing about. Another minor issue with at least the lich process is that according to SOD it takes 4 months. I am not sure if there is a way around that or a different type of non breathing creature Belkar could be made into.

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Rumda posted:

Did she? I haven't reread the latest arc all the way through for a while.

It was at most a week prior to where they are now, based on how long the whole arena arc took in story: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0752.html

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
A little less than three days to raise $100,000 and become the third million dollar project. Rich is apparently offering new deals every couple of hours, so :f5: for all you've got.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Theler posted:

It's possible, but it is a lot of effort to go through for someone you know nothing about. Another minor issue with at least the lich process is that according to SOD it takes 4 months. I am not sure if there is a way around that or a different type of non breathing creature Belkar could be made into.
Only spellcasters can become lich. Within core 3.5 rules, high-level warriors's best option for undead immortality is usually as vampires.

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Only spellcasters can become lich. Within core 3.5 rules, high-level warriors's best option for undead immortality is usually as vampires.

How does that work for Rangers? Belkar doesn't have the stats needed to cast spells but he does have a bunch of levels in a class that can cast them.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"Each lich must make its own phylactery, which requires the Craft Wondrous Item feat. The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation. "
- d20SRD.org

Since a ranger's caster level is half his level, Belkar is out of luck, even if he had the chance to pick up the CWI feat before his demise.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So I finally threw in ten bucks for the project. If he adds in new stuff that people at the ten dollar level get after I committed, do I get that retroactively or am I SOL?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Cabbit posted:

So I finally threw in ten bucks for the project. If he adds in new stuff that people at the ten dollar level get after I committed, do I get that retroactively or am I SOL?

Always retroactive - everyone at $10, starting from day 1 on, has all of the $10 rewards.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
So everything past the $850k line will pay for stuff like a new computer and a Cintaq?

He oughta be set, then.

Tinyn
Jan 10, 2003

Pre-funding the print run for the next book is probably the biggest deal.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
I've just upped my pledge by $10 or so: I've had so much entertainment for free that I figure I should pay my chunk of a new Cintiq for the man. I'd love for this to reach over $1 million, I really would. He's been so... civilised over the whole thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CapnAndy posted:

So everything past the $850k line will pay for stuff like a new computer and a Cintaq?

He oughta be set, then.
For a second, I thought he might have been joking about the Cintaq thing. ...I really hope he isn't going to use it to copy-paste templates.

I think I'd die a little inside if Rich fell that far, that quickly.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Colon V posted:

For a second, I thought he might have been joking about the Cintaq thing. ...I really hope he isn't going to use it to copy-paste templates.

Isn't it obvious from the art style that he already poses the basic body parts together and draws in the arms/legs over it? If anything the OOTS style lends itself to being even MORE copy/paste than B^Uckley's style. Rich just takes the time to add detail to said body parts and puts some effort into making the characters visually distinct. And draws his own (detailed!) backgrounds. And regularly features characters that deviate from his standard body style. And...

Rich uses a simplistic style, but he's talented enough to make it look good. Putting a Cintiq in the hands of someone like Rich can only improve the quality of the comic. All it did for that other webcomic guy was allow him to be even lazier when making a comic.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Colon V posted:

Real artists can use a Cintaq too. I hope he does get one.

Especially because, y'know, gently caress Tim Buckley. Obviously.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I would love it if OotS went to a hand-drawn style, like he's done a couple times with the Order of the Scribble crayon drawings. Right now it does seem like he's copy-pasting templates in Adobe Illustrator to help save time.

At the very least he'd be able to do more detailed backgrounds. Do we know how he's doing the comics right now, like if he's using only a mouse or if he already has a small tablet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Colon V posted:

He, uh, literally already does this.

How do you think everyone's head is always exactly the same size? Their limbs? The backgrounds and any non-template creature/person is what he spends all his time on. Every regular human has been templated to hell in back for almost a decade.

I also do not have a problem with it at all. Not even when Buckley does it.

Zore fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 19, 2012

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Zore posted:

He, uh, literally already does this.

I think the point is not the copy/pasting, it's the waste of an expensive tablet.

That said, at least Rich draws original backgrounds, so that's something.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
He's going to break a million and that is really loving cool.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Affi posted:

He's going to break a million and that is really loving cool.
Ssh! Don't jinx it!

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

DaveWoo posted:

Ssh! Don't jinx it!

It's up more than 50k since yesterday. No way it doesn't make the last 30k.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
I finally made a donation, after he re-added a package for Dragon Tales.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
:siren: New Comic: Finding Something

It's getting good...

This is Saturday's comic, so his week of "daily updates" is still a day behind. But it's still faster than usual anyway!

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Maybe it's just me, but that last panel with the pyramid materialising out of thin air reminded me of Achewood's art style for some reason. Maybe it's just the way the angles were drawn along the corners, which now that I think about it is a perspective we don't often see in this series.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's probably a trap or diversion (we've not seen enough illusion yet out of the 'master of illusions'), but it looks like a pretty major one. Also seems like a good set-piece to fight over should Nale and that crew blow in.