Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

DarthXaos posted:

I try to go to Texas Pinball Festival every year. Lots of fun, and since the closest arcade with somewhat decently maintained pinballs is almost an hour away (and even those aren't maintained the best) accounts for the majority of my play. Plus they have interesting speakers and rare machines. This year Hercules will be there.

Cedar Point in Ohio has a big arcade with a Hercules machine. The ball is literally a cueball, or at least it looked like one. It plays incredibly slow due to the size, I didn't really think it was much more fun than a novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

robot roll call posted:

Cedar Point in Ohio has a big arcade with a Hercules machine. The ball is literally a cueball, or at least it looked like one. It plays incredibly slow due to the size, I didn't really think it was much more fun than a novelty.

I played it at a California Extreme years ago, and I'd have to agree, it really is just novelty, I'm not even sure I finished the game since it wasn't very entertaining, and I like tons of pinball machines.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

I played it at a California Extreme years ago, and I'd have to agree, it really is just novelty, I'm not even sure I finished the game since it wasn't very entertaining, and I like tons of pinball machines.

Watching that video, it looks really clumsy to play. The ball doesn't really have any room to move and even if it did, the bumpers don't seem to have enough power to push it too far.

Plus there's a lack of, well, everything. I can understand why there isn't a ramp or such, but it seems like the gimmick just totally hamstrung any attempt at designing a decent playfield.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

robot roll call posted:

When I was there last summer they actually had 2 of these machines. It is not a fun game as some have pointed out. But I had to play it for the novelty.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Epic Quest is by far my favorite table. I hate having multiple flippers and even though this one has a third it is used for very specific things. It's pretty hard to lose a ball unless you just aren't paying attention so it's more about the gameplay than randomly losing balls at any point in time. I think the rpg aspects of it help make the quests/table easy to figure out. There aren't too many impossible shots, hitting the cave entrance is probably the trickiest and even that isn't bad.

I've still got several tables i have no loving clue what i'm doing on as far as achievements/table understanding goes so this was a nice change.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I also forgot I have an Atari Video Pinball full cabinet that does not fully work right now. I originally intended to make a MAME/Video Pinball cabinet out of it because of the control panel layout with the flipper button and the nudge built in. I just never got around to it. Now I am thinking that I may try to get it restored to working condition and sell it to buy another pin.

mancide
May 2, 2007

Addicted to Gamerscore

katkillad2 posted:

Epic Quest is by far my favorite table. I hate having multiple flippers and even though this one has a third it is used for very specific things. It's pretty hard to lose a ball unless you just aren't paying attention so it's more about the gameplay than randomly losing balls at any point in time. I think the rpg aspects of it help make the quests/table easy to figure out. There aren't too many impossible shots, hitting the cave entrance is probably the trickiest and even that isn't bad.

I've still got several tables i have no loving clue what i'm doing on as far as achievements/table understanding goes so this was a nice change.

TrueAchievements has been a valuable resource for me in chasing table achievements. Now being able to pull the shots off, however, has not been as easy.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

katkillad2 posted:

Just grabbed it on iOS, this is probably my favorite Zen table yet. Really fun, well set up, I like the theme, good flow, interesting modes. Really nothing bad to say about this one, it'll hold my interest for awhile.

Now just give me Twilight Zone, Adams Family, and Funhouse on Pinball Arcade and I'll be in pinball heaven.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I really dislike the art direction of Epic Quest. I would have liked something less like a fantasy Dudley Doright.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Here's a little hint for Epic Quest. There's a cannon in the middle of the table that's a little hard to time. If you try to hit it back when it fires the ball at your flippers, there's a good chance you'll lose your ball. If you just let it bounce, it can be hard to regain control. But if you're holding BOTH flippers when it fires, the ball will roll off the right flipper and land safely in the catch of the left flipper every single time.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Trastion posted:

And just last week I bought a Pin*Bot. This was a favorite machine from my childhood so I am happy to finally own one. I plan on doing a lot of cleaning and LEDing it out.
Sweet. Post some pictures and/or a Youtube after you finish cleaning it up and shopping it out. :)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

The General posted:

I really dislike the art direction of Epic Quest. I would have liked something less like a fantasy Dudley Doright.

I agree. I've enjoyed the bits I've played so far, but the reliance on goofy voice acting has really soured a lot of the experience for me. It reminds me a bit of Deathspank, which I didn't like that much either.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Now that Pinball Arcade is out on iOS, have they said when we should expect new tables? I can imagine when the PC/Console version is released?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I am on PSN as Trastion if anyone want to add me for Zen, Williams or Marvel.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

gypsyshred posted:

Now that Pinball Arcade is out on iOS, have they said when we should expect new tables? I can imagine when the PC/Console version is released?

Plan is to put out one a month, I believe, so actually, yeah, probably about then.

ZebTM
Jul 7, 2009

I've been playing Big Race USA for the past couple hours instead of sleeping, and I'm starting to get noticeably better at it :shobon: Definitely one of the most enjoyable $6 I've spent on a video game.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

97 million on Epic Quest!

I like the rpg element, but it's not as much for replay value as I had hoped.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah they do a really bad job of explaining how any of the RPG aspect is relevant to anything you do. Also I've noticed two glitches:

1) sometimes after filling out your initials for high score it just keeps you at the table and never actually submits or saves your score. this sucks
2) pressing the Home button after you finish a game just dumps you out of the application

This is on the iOS version. I'm also really not a fan of that little launcher next to the water wheel that shoots the ball right back at your flippers. 90% of my lost balls are due to an errant bounce after that thing.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Putting my GT out there again cause I need more people to yell at on my scoreboard. GT: iastSA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Just got 118 mil on Epic Quest. If you open up the extra jackpot lanes during the princess multiball, and can keep it going for awhile, you're set. Its not a particularly difficult table, but there is something enjoyable about it.

Yodzilla posted:

This is on the iOS version. I'm also really not a fan of that little launcher next to the water wheel that shoots the ball right back at your flippers. 90% of my lost balls are due to an errant bounce after that thing.
Somehow I keep bouncing it back into that thing, like a terrifying game of ping pong.

And the RPG elements kinda aren't all that relevant. The monsters seem to always scale to your level, although you should be trying to hit the loot hole as often as possible to keep your gear up to date. Gear also seems to scale since I'm getting blues that are on par or better than my epic stuff now. The one thing I haven't played around with is elemental stuff, but I think actually trying to plan ahead and exploit elemental weaknesses in this game is a fool's errand.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

I'm also really not a fan of that little launcher next to the water wheel that shoots the ball right back at your flippers. 90% of my lost balls are due to an errant bounce after that thing.

I mentioned a few posts ago the trick to surviving the launcher. Before it shoots the ball, hold both flippers, and your ball will be safely cradled in the left flipper 100% of the time.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

mancide posted:

Just bought Epic Quest on the Xbox, I'll add my gamertag here since I'm going to dive back into Pinball FX2 if anyone needs some help getting that Wizard superscore... XBL: mancide

iastudent posted:

Putting my GT out there again cause I need more people to yell at on my scoreboard. GT: iastSA

Added you two, I will one day own that poo poo hoody/cape thing you get for having a high superscore.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I mentioned a few posts ago the trick to surviving the launcher. Before it shoots the ball, hold both flippers, and your ball will be safely cradled in the left flipper 100% of the time.

Ah yeah that's what I've been doing after I made that post. Thanks!

Buy hey, does anyone else' version of Zen Pinball on iOS prompt them to re-log into their Apple account (I'm guessing for Gamecenter) constantly? I'm talking about whenever the app is launched or even just brought back from standby. I'm guessing it's a glitch because canceling out of it still leaves you logged into to everything you need to.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Yodzilla posted:

Ah yeah that's what I've been doing after I made that post. Thanks!

Buy hey, does anyone else' version of Zen Pinball on iOS prompt them to re-log into their Apple account (I'm guessing for Gamecenter) constantly? I'm talking about whenever the app is launched or even just brought back from standby. I'm guessing it's a glitch because canceling out of it still leaves you logged into to everything you need to.

Me too, every time I launch it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Same here, no idea why it is asking for the log in every time.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
I really don't understand the epic quest table I think (how some of the modes etc work), and yet, I got 134 Mil on it :psyduck:

I understand fighting (except what dodge really does and magic) and the skeleton multiball . But everything else, I'm pretty much just hoping something I hit does something good.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 18, 2012

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Billy Gnosis posted:

I really don't understand the epic quest table I think (how some of the modes etc work), and yet, I got 134 Mil on it :psyduck:
It seems to be a fairly easy table. I was just hitting random ramps and got a ton of multiballs and stuff.

I'm confused about where all of the monsters are located. There's the forest and the place the mill/upper flipper leads to. It sounds like there's a third location, but I'm not sure where it is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

robot roll call posted:

I played a Hercules at an arcade in a run-down shopping complex in Orlando. It's basically how you think pinball with a cue ball and giant bumpers using 1970s technology is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm confused about where all of the monsters are located. There's the forest and the place the mill/upper flipper leads to. It sounds like there's a third location, but I'm not sure where it is.
Its the hole labeled "Cave" on the right side, it doubles as the place you accidentally shoot during battles to drink your health potions. I think you need to hit it multiple times to get into a fight, but its the only thing on the board I can't consistently hit.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Luigi Thirty posted:

I played a Hercules at an arcade in a run-down shopping complex in Orlando. It's basically how you think pinball with a cue ball and giant bumpers using 1970s technology is.

They used to have Hercules at Canobie Lake Park in New Hampshire. The slow flipper buttons were tons of fun. I can't believe there are still so many tables out there, where "so many" is "more than three".

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
This is kind of random, but anyone try Frogger Pinball (iOS)? I noticed it on the Silverball Studios site and gave it a shot (with the lite version)...and it kind of reminded me of Metroid Prime Pinball, if it had a super colorful happy theme and bugs, but almost no sound/music budget. I'm wondering how the full game (with more tables) is now cause it seems like it could be oddly fun like Metroid was. I got into it a bit once the weird rear end Frogger ball stopped distracting me.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

japtor posted:

This is kind of random, but anyone try Frogger Pinball (iOS)? I noticed it on the Silverball Studios site and gave it a shot (with the lite version)...and it kind of reminded me of Metroid Prime Pinball, if it had a super colorful happy theme and bugs, but almost no sound/music budget. I'm wondering how the full game (with more tables) is now cause it seems like it could be oddly fun like Metroid was. I got into it a bit once the weird rear end Frogger ball stopped distracting me.

It's a much easier Metroid Pinball. I enjoyed it, but it lost my attention pretty quickly since it was pretty difficult to lose a ball in it.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

Discount Viscount posted:

Plan is to put out one a month, I believe, so actually, yeah, probably about then.

Have they put out any hints on the release schedule?

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

gypsyshred posted:

Have they put out any hints on the release schedule?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinball_Arcade suggests "Monster Bash", "Medieval Madness", "Circus Voltaire" and "Attack From Mars", within the first six months (though I might be reaching by reading too much between the lines; Those are all announced anyways).

The giant bomb podcast mentioned "Dr. Dude" as being another announced table which is exciting.

(Also I forgot my GT didn't match my SA name, but its Backlash Jack in case people are wondering who has been trying to friend them or if any more want to friend me for FX2 scoreboards).

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 19, 2012

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Billy Gnosis posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinball_Arcade suggests "Monster Bash", "Medieval Madness", "Circus Voltaire" and "Attack From Mars", within the first six months (though I might be reaching by reading too much between the lines; Those are all announced anyways).

The giant bomb podcast mentioned "Dr. Dude" as being another announced table which is exciting.

One of the behind-the-scenes videos definitely showed them working on Sega's "Harley Davidson", but they haven't announced it anywhere :ssh:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The sad thing is, if it has better friends list scoreboard integration (like Pinball FX2), i'd probably be willing to rebuy most of the Williams collection's tables on the 360.

(Also apparently "Bride of Pinbot" is another rumored / seen in videos table). Which I don't remember if that is even a decent table.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Billy Gnosis posted:

The sad thing is, if it has better friends list scoreboard integration (like Pinball FX2), i'd probably be willing to rebuy most of the Williams collection's tables on the 360.

(Also apparently "Bride of Pinbot" is another rumored / seen in videos table). Which I don't remember if that is even a decent table.
It's an extremely easy table. The sounds are great and futuristic and even a little misogynist but the playability is super dull.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

Same here, really. At the very least I'd certainly pick up Gorgar again, because that's made for a really good table to play a few warm-up games on. There's plenty to do on that one without it being too busy or distracting.

The one I'm really hoping for is High Speed only because it was the first pinball game I really got good at. Plus that red light on top of the machine annoyed the crap out of everyone else in the arcade when it was going, so you know a li'l jerk kid like me would head straight for it. :q:

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So I'm mainly a physical pinball player (I play in a weekly league in the bay area) but I picked up FX2. Gonna go through the list, and if you want to add me, I'm SteelWallMethod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Personally, I'm hoping for Pinbot and Addams Family. Beyond those, I'd like to see more early-to-mid-80s tables in general. The vast majority of virtual pinball covers stuff from the 90s and up, and all good fake tables emulate that style, but there's something to be said for the simpler style of older tables as well, especially as an option between all the crazy designs from the last 17 years or so.