Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franz Liszt 96
Dec 15, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cruxxed Up posted:

Is it detournement? Sounds similar enough.

I think that's what I was thinking of. Was pretty sure is was 'de...'

I swear the wikipedia article had pictures though....

Franz Liszt 96 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm searching for a word that means something like, being acoustically aesthetic/pleasurable, with reference to words.
As in, when a poem or a particular phrase has a very appealing sound to it, independent of its meaning/semantics.
Alliteration, consonance, assonance, and sibilance are all perhaps sub-examples of this idea, but is there a general term for the quality of a phrase sounding really pretty?

edit: And a related (or perhaps the same) question: Is there a word for poetry that contains the sounds of what it's describing? For example, schtzngrmm, a german poem meant to imitate the sounds of a battle, or the lines
Tik, tak, hic, hac, tiket, taket, tik, tak,
Lus, bus, las, das
in The Blacksmiths

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 20, 2012

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

alnilam posted:

I'm searching for a word that means something like, being acoustically aesthetic/pleasurable, with reference to words.
As in, when a poem or a particular phrase has a very appealing sound to it, independent of its meaning/semantics.
Alliteration, consonance, assonance, and sibilance are all perhaps sub-examples of this idea, but is there a general term for the quality of a phrase sounding really pretty?
Mellifluous?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Franz Liszt 96 posted:

I think that's what I was thinking of. Was pretty sure is was 'de...'

I swear the wikipedia article had pictures though....

Appropriation? My first thought of what you were describing was Banksy redoing the Mona Lisa or Warhol's Campbell's Soup cans.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

alnilam posted:

edit: And a related (or perhaps the same) question: Is there a word for poetry that contains the sounds of what it's describing? For example, schtzngrmm, a german poem meant to imitate the sounds of a battle, or the lines
Tik, tak, hic, hac, tiket, taket, tik, tak,
Lus, bus, las, das
in The Blacksmiths

Onomatopoeia

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

hooah posted:

Mellifluous?
Sounds right, thanks!

greazeball posted:

Onomatopoeia

Yeah I guess that's correct... I was stuck in a mode of thinking of onomatopoeia as "woof" "quack" etc., forgot it applied here. Thanks.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a link to the big :aaaaa: made from normal sized ones?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any forums or threads where I could get advice on Cacti?

The one I have at the moment is very close to death and I want to get another but I want it to survive and thrive in my room so I may need another species and would need advice on that too.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Well this is weird.

I'm on a Mac, and I'm using dropbox to get a bunch of photos to someone who's on a PC. What I did was compress the folder (on my mac side) and put it in my "public" dropbox folder. I then gave them a link to that zip file, which they downloaded and extracted. But the files they've downloaded are read-only. I can confirm this happens, I've tested it on my own computer. Just to test further I extracted the photos using my mac side, and they're fine, set to write and completely editable.

What am I doing wrong that's making my files read-only on windows? How do I avoid this without having to do all my dropboxing from windows?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

jackpot posted:

Well this is weird.

I'm on a Mac, and I'm using dropbox to get a bunch of photos to someone who's on a PC. What I did was compress the folder (on my mac side) and put it in my "public" dropbox folder. I then gave them a link to that zip file, which they downloaded and extracted. But the files they've downloaded are read-only. I can confirm this happens, I've tested it on my own computer. Just to test further I extracted the photos using my mac side, and they're fine, set to write and completely editable.

What am I doing wrong that's making my files read-only on windows? How do I avoid this without having to do all my dropboxing from windows?

I don't have a mac so I can't really reproduce this, but is there anything preventing the windows user from selecting all of the extracted files, going to right-click -> Properties, and un-checking the Read-Only box?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any forums or threads where I could get advice on Cacti?

The one I have at the moment is very close to death and I want to get another but I want it to survive and thrive in my room so I may need another species and would need advice on that too.

Your best bet is probably the magic cactus thread in TCC; they discuss non-magic cacti from time to time. Failing that, DIY has a gardening megathread that occasionally discusses cacti but they are more focused on normal, edible plants like tomatoes.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Gravity Pike posted:

I don't have a mac so I can't really reproduce this, but is there anything preventing the windows user from selecting all of the extracted files, going to right-click -> Properties, and un-checking the Read-Only box?
I haven't emailed them yet to ask, but I think I know what's going on; I just don't use windows enough to have noticed it.

If you only download the zip file, but don't extract the files, windows lets you browse the zip file as if it's a folder; it even shows up in the tree as a folder. So if you look at the files that way, they're read-only (because they're still in a zip file). But if you right-click and extract the files to a real folder, they're not read-only anymore. Dumb on my part for not noticing this when I looked at it the first time.

At least I think that's what's going on; if they extract them and it's still going on, I don't know what the hell's happening.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What's wrong with New Jersey? Why has it become a byword for godforsaken hellhole?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

unpronounceable posted:

Does anyone have a link to the big :aaaaa: made from normal sized ones?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Baron Bifford posted:

What's wrong with New Jersey? Why has it become a byword for godforsaken hellhole?

Jersey Shore.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

jackpot posted:

I haven't emailed them yet to ask, but I think I know what's going on; I just don't use windows enough to have noticed it.

If you only download the zip file, but don't extract the files, windows lets you browse the zip file as if it's a folder; it even shows up in the tree as a folder. So if you look at the files that way, they're read-only (because they're still in a zip file). But if you right-click and extract the files to a real folder, they're not read-only anymore. Dumb on my part for not noticing this when I looked at it the first time.

At least I think that's what's going on; if they extract them and it's still going on, I don't know what the hell's happening.

I know nothing at all about how zipping/unzipping is involved, but I do know that if you have something formatted in window's NTFS file system (Which has been the default since XP days) it is read only to Macs. The older file system Fat32 is read and writable by both Macs and PCs. Apple also has their own file system that PCs cant write to. Blame Microsoft/Apple for wanting their own proprietary file systems.

You could try formatting a thumbdrive as FAT32, and zipping it there and see if you get different results.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Xenoborg posted:

I know nothing at all about how zipping/unzipping is involved, but I do know that if you have something formatted in window's NTFS file system (Which has been the default since XP days) it is read only to Macs. The older file system Fat32 is read and writable by both Macs and PCs. Apple also has their own file system that PCs cant write to. Blame Microsoft/Apple for wanting their own proprietary file systems.

You could try formatting a thumbdrive as FAT32, and zipping it there and see if you get different results.
Nah, it was much simpler than that: the guy downloaded my zip files, and I didn't notice that he never extracted them; Windows was doing its thing and treating the zip file like a folder, down to displaying it in tree view. And because he had file extensions hidden I didn't notice it.

So he was looking at the individual files inside a zip file and trying to rename/edit those...that's where the problem was. I'm out of practice on windows, I should've spotted it right away.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Baron Bifford posted:

haveblue posted:

Jersey Shore.

It's much older than that. The TV show didn't start until 2009, people have been making jokes about Jersey for decades.

New Jersey has a lot of sections to it, some are very nice, but the stereotype comes from a lot of things. The major population centers are Camden (subburb of Philadelphia with an extremely high homocide rate), Trenton (a lot of unemployment and fallen industry) Atlantic City (gambling and a history of organized crime) and the various suburbs of New York City (where many who can't afford to live in the city itself are). This map tells you a lot of the stereotypes

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is the webcomic "The Oatmeal" currently having troubles for anyone else? I can't seem to get the images to load on either Firefox or Chrome.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I don't seem to have any problems with it; I'm running Chrome. Sorry :[

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

hooah posted:

Is the webcomic "The Oatmeal" currently having troubles for anyone else? I can't seem to get the images to load on either Firefox or Chrome.
Loading fine in Chrome here.

Alien Teacher
Mar 1, 2004
It's all ok as long as you've pooped your pants less than your friends.
Ok two questions both about goon related services.

There was a guy advertising resume services, anyone know if he has a thread. Didn't see it in the first couple pages of SA mart or the business section here.

Also, there was a T shirt store that had a "science" section where you'd have a guy in a lab coat hugging a nuclear plant's stack, and some "teach the controversy" shirts. Anybody have a link?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Alien Teacher posted:

Ok two questions both about goon related services.

There was a guy advertising resume services, anyone know if he has a thread. Didn't see it in the first couple pages of SA mart or the business section here.

DustingDuvet has a sticky'd thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2444033

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

hooah posted:

Loading just fine for me on Firefox. Probably is just a local issue closer to your end than theirs?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Since it's president's day I would like a book recommendation on George Washington. Maybe something that focuses more on his early life and how life was like back then, than a book that focuses on what he did while in office (although that would be interesting also!) I just want to know what he was like as a person, instead of just having this vague notion of him being the first president.

Thanks!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

razz posted:

Since it's president's day I would like a book recommendation on George Washington. Maybe something that focuses more on his early life and how life was like back then, than a book that focuses on what he did while in office (although that would be interesting also!) I just want to know what he was like as a person, instead of just having this vague notion of him being the first president.

Thanks!

http://goo.gl/Jw6W9

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there anything for chrome or any browser that, for a tab, shows its referrer, parent or "how did I get here" type thing? I'll leave tabs open for days sometimes without reading them and then later see them and wonder what led me to opening such weird poo poo.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Is there anything for chrome or any browser that, for a tab, shows its referrer, parent or "how did I get here" type thing? I'll leave tabs open for days sometimes without reading them and then later see them and wonder what led me to opening such weird poo poo.

Chrome has a history page which shows you what website you were at, at what time, chronologically.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Elijya posted:

It's much older than that. The TV show didn't start until 2009, people have been making jokes about Jersey for decades.

New Jersey has a lot of sections to it, some are very nice, but the stereotype comes from a lot of things. The major population centers are Camden (subburb of Philadelphia with an extremely high homocide rate), Trenton (a lot of unemployment and fallen industry) Atlantic City (gambling and a history of organized crime) and the various suburbs of New York City (where many who can't afford to live in the city itself are). This map tells you a lot of the stereotypes

Jersey has had guidos for quite some time, but that isn't the main basis.

Things I can think of off the top of my head:

1. Bits of North Jersey are still contaminated from the chrome business ages ago.
2. North Jersey has a particular odor to it, much like Staten Island. New Yorkers aren't going to be exposed to this unless they're heading to the [South] Shore, or Six Flags or something.
3. The general idea of :laffo: In New Jersey, they are too dumb to pump their own gas/make left turns
4. Aforementioned massive crime in cities, particularly in North Jersey (Don't stop at lights in Trenton at night, which I have literally been told)
5. As a testament to how old this is: My grandfather either grew up in, or summered in Jersey around the turn of the century. He'd still go about saying "New Joisey." Part of it is that sort of good-natured ribbing about nearby states.
6. The idea that Jersey drivers are terrible. As an aside, gently caress the Garden State Parkway, it is miserable. And the Palisades Parkway is horrid and full of holes.

Honestly, there are perfectly nice suburbs and what-have-you in NJ, but stereotypes tend to overshadow them pretty heavily. And it was seen as a sort of cheaper Long Island/Rockland/Westchester years ago. I still don't think it's really anything more than continued stereotyping, which is sort of socially convenient shorthand, and general regionalism.

Two Plus Four
Mar 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh
I purchased an Andropenis and want to let goons know how well it works in increasing penile length. I wanted to update measurements and if it hurts etc etc. I pick it up tomorrow at the post office. Is this something I can post somewhere? Maybe another small dicked goon can find this helpful before laying out 300 bucks.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Two Plus Four posted:

I purchased an Andropenis and want to let goons know how well it works in increasing penile length. I wanted to update measurements and if it hurts etc etc. I pick it up tomorrow at the post office. Is this something I can post somewhere? Maybe another small dicked goon can find this helpful before laying out 300 bucks.

The first place I thought of was the Fitness Log Cabin... heh.

Two Plus Four
Mar 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh

tarepanda posted:

The first place I thought of was the Fitness Log Cabin... heh.

I thought ask tell but don't want to get banned

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Two Plus Four posted:

I thought ask tell but don't want to get banned

A/T sounds like as good a place as any. Have you tried PMing the mods?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Are you trying to do a "serious" log of the effects, or strictly going for comedy? If the tone is informative, A/T, if you'll be writing in a more humorous tone, you can try GBS.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Elijya posted:

Are you trying to do a "serious" log of the effects, or strictly going for comedy? If the tone is informative, A/T, if you'll be writing in a more humorous tone, you can try GBS.

It's interesting reading that in Brent Spiner's voice.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Alien Teacher posted:

Also, there was a T shirt store that had a "science" section where you'd have a guy in a lab coat hugging a nuclear plant's stack, and some "teach the controversy" shirts. Anybody have a link?

wearscience.com

He's got a bunch of other themed shirt collections like that as well (all linked at the top). Sir Critter is clearly the best.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

tarepanda posted:

It's interesting reading that in Brent Spiner's voice.

It fits my smart-rear end, know-it-all personality.

I was digging the discussion about New Jersey, and the other one about the Midwest. Anyone know any other cool examples of "regionalism"?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Elijya posted:

It fits my smart-rear end, know-it-all personality.

I was digging the discussion about New Jersey, and the other one about the Midwest. Anyone know any other cool examples of "regionalism"?

Just bring up "soda" vs "pop" vs "cola" vs "coke" and watch people swarm out of the woodwork. I think we had a fun discussion about it a few months ago.

Two Plus Four
Mar 27, 2011

by Ozmaugh
It will be serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

stubblyhead posted:

http://goo.gl/Jw6W9

LOL!!! I am looking for something a little more adult oriented than that :)

*That statement in no way implies that I am looking for George Washington erotica*