Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Yep, this is the thread for me. Not all of my backlog is Steam but it is all Steam's fault. It got me back into PC gaming when I logged in during a sale, my old C2D/2900XT/1G DDR2 machine is now a an i5 2500k/5870/8G DDR3 beast because, if I'm playing PC games, might as well upgrade my PC! And if I've got a good PC, might as well buy games for it! :downs:

I also keep a record of what I've played with screenshots. I bind \ to taking screenshots (or space if it's with a controller) and hit it whenever something memorable happens and filter out the good ones at the end of a session and they're all part of an awesome random photo screensaver I could watch for hours. I started a year ago and now have 13929 shots from 35 games.

I'll just dump what I'm playing here and update as I go on.

Not Yet Played
STALKER: Call of Pripyat: Well, I played about two minutes and got into that boat and when I got the first mission I just couldn't be arsed. I'll be back.
Episodes from Liberty City: Need to finish GTA4.
Amnesia: Played 5 minutes but got constant CTDs from there. I've changed half my PC out since then so should give it another go when my nerves are up to it.
Red Faction Guerilla: Installed, the old Q6600/2900XT didn't like it very much, haven't been back since I upgraded.
Assassins Creed 2: Bought this last week because I needed a second game in a 2 for £15 deal. I've finished it on Xbox to 98% sync and done the next two on PC, but hell, it'll look good in the screensaver.

Mid-play
Fallout 3: Awesome game, just need to do one or two sidequests, the main quest and Broken Steel. Not fast travelling has made me enjoy the game a lot more but it does make it longer.
Just Cause 2: 53% complete, but I'll call it a day at 95% for this monster.
Half Life 2 Episode 2: Had a 2 hour go at this and not been back. I think the mediocre Episode 1 and the tales of frustration at the final battle are putting me off.
Test Drive Unlimited 2: It's great, just not feeling the urge to tool around in fast cars at the moment, it comes around every couple of months.
Grand Theft Auto 4: Did everything but the pigeons on 360 but it was part of the ridiculous £5 GTA bundle and it deserved a replay on PC. Working through Stevie's car thefts at the moment.
Prototype: Played a few hours of this, it's very good but can see it being a game you have to dip in and out of to enjoy, or it'll be repetitive. The sound is awful, though, and that puts me off.

I finished Arkham Asylum today, I wasn't expecting it to appeal to me but it really grew on me, one of those games that doesn't have an obvious weakness and knows what it's good at. Left 15 Riddler challenges, couldn't find any more in the caves and got bored. It has, however, made Arkham City a must-play for me.

Also, I'm sorely tempted by the Deus Ex DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Mr Right posted:

How long did it actually take you? There are numerous games I'd look to play but are a bit daunting based on the fact I have no clue how long I'd be playing it for.

About 40-45 hours-ish, but that's with having done a good 80% of the side-quests in the game. I also played a Mage-specced character, though - Fireball and Magic Missile with the associated supporting skills - and that's supposedly the most overpowered build in the game.

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would like to put "Geometry War: Retro Evolved" in the "completed" pile, but I need to achieve a respectable score in the game before I do that, and I don't know what that would be. 500k? A million?

What's the highest you guys achieved in that game?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus

Opus125 posted:

I would like to put "Geometry War: Retro Evolved" in the "completed" pile, but I need to achieve a respectable score in the game before I do that, and I don't know what that would be. 500k? A million?

What's the highest you guys achieved in that game?

I figure score attack games are put as "Null" because there's no real ending? Maybe beaten if you beat the local high score, or completed if there is a boss

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Just completed Darwinia, what a loving adorable game. Absolutely loved it.

I pulled out my old save files of Red Faction: Guerrilla from a backup. I think I got about half way through it so will finish that off. I remember really enjoying the destruction in the game, but I think that was it's only redeeming factor.

On another note, I got Empire Earth: Gold Edition a little while back for free over at GoG as part of some promotion. Does the game have campaign mode or something beatable?

e: Ugh, I forgot Red Faction was GFWL. Apparently it isn't possible to restore the save files without the original GFWL install folder that the save was created with. I think I'm just going to throw the game away (retail copy) and remove it from my backlog, GFWL is such an obnoxious system I really don't want to ever deal with it again. It makes me wonder if those pirating the game have to put up with this, no doubt they are better off than legitimate customers /rant.

Xik fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 20, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Walton Simons posted:

Just Cause 2: 53% complete, but I'll call it a day at 95% for this monster.
Try 75%. That's the "you're loving insane" get-nearly-everything achievement for it. Anything beyond that is just aiming for Mastery.

Was gifted Sequence. Think I'm gonna like this game.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Beat Half-Life 2 Episode 2 tonight. Now I see why no Episode 3 has really been annoying people. A friend gifted me a recent indie bundle though, so one down but I got another 5 to go through.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I just beat White Knight Chronicles II : White Knight Chronicles International and just started White Knight Chronicles II. Actually I think they count them as one game as I thought I was still in the first one but I'm actually in the second one. Saving the game still use the same counter for playtime.

It's PS3 I know... Was weighting more heavily on my mind as I paid full price for that thing.

If I don't lose interest like I always do, I will start L.A. Noire next on the PC.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just completed the main story in From Dust, still have the challenge maps to play through though but I'll take my time with those. I know it's not the best PC port ever and the mouse controls take some getting used to but dammit if this isn't a charming little game. I truly felt in most situations like I was solving a puzzle on my own and not being guided this way or that. Most of the time my ideas worked and other times...my people met with a horrible end.

Definitely recommend a play through if anyone is interested in a bit of strategy that's something different. Honestly my biggest knock against it is the lack of skippable cutscenes but they aren't overly long.

Turada
Jun 17, 2006

On a mission from God
I finally managed to beat AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity, unlocking every level. I haven't 5'd a bunch of them, and there were two videos left, but gently caress those. I actually enjoyed the game but it just went on forever and became a grind to unlock the last few levels, when I couldn't get another star anywhere and had to repeat a level 5 times for teeth. That and the complete lack of any acknowledgement that I had beaten every level meant I was pretty happy to Delete Local Content.

I managed to buy the Groupees Bundle, so I also beat Wasteland Angel. Enemy & Weapon variety were a little underwhelming but it was fun driving around murdering everything for a few hours, and everything felt balanced well at Normal difficulty. I played 18 levels in one sitting and then became stuck on the environment in such a way that the game didn't flip my car back over and lost the multiplier/score which was pretty irritating and meant I had to take a break from it. Again, the ending is a total non-event, it's Book of Eli without any actual reveal to go with it.

Sideway: New York from the same bundle was a fairly enjoyable few hours as well. I loved the look of it, that plus the music (which unfortunately should have been about three tracks longer, as it becomes repetitive very quickly) really reminded me of The World Ends With You, one of the few games I played (and loved) on the DS. Sometimes when attacking, I would still take damage even when I connected with a monster which is bad, and occasionally while in 'paint form' (airtime) I would die whilst going round corners which also seems like a thing that should not happen. These two alone made the bundle worth it for me, haven't got to the others yet.

I thought about nulling NightSky, but quitters never win so I pushed through to the end. I don't particularly like puzzle games, and physics ones especially, so the design of this is all that let me get to the end, including all the stars.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished Nier on the PS3. Good times! Combat is lots of fun, music and voice acting are top notch, story and writing have a few wobbles but are pretty good overall (and the revelations at the end I both didn't see coming at all, and made me feel kind of bad for beating the poo poo out of the final boss and ruining all of his plans, despite the fact that such beatings were necessary and, arguably, justified). Well done. Cavia.

I'm having enough fun with it - and the second half is short enough - that I'm probably going to power through it on Easy a few more times to get the other three endings as well. Not going to get all the weapon upgrades or side quests, though, gently caress that noise.

After that, it's probably time to put away Nier and move on to Demon's Souls.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ToxicFrog posted:

Just finished Nier on the PS3.

The last two endings you can skip, but you cannot mark Nier as beaten by just doing the first ending. You need both, A and B.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Way behind as always, I finally played Portal 2 a few weeks ago. It felt more like a game than the first one, which was more like a highly polished tech demo, though I was expecting a wider variety of puzzles instead of just basically endless variations on the same basic concepts from the first (Portal here, portal there, use momentum to launch yourself through). The gel was great but didn't feel like it got used as much as it could have. Also having multiple solutions to puzzles would have been really amazing, instead you end up with a perfectly crafted room that has a section of wall angled in just the way you need to launch yourself to the next area.

I'm now trying to play through an old adventure game, Post Mortem. It was a prequel to Still Life, which I thought was decent. The biggest issue with Post Mortem so far is the dialogue isn't skippable, you have to sit there and wait for the mediocre to horrible voice actors to shriek their way through some really awful lines. My favorite part is how the game takes place in France and some of the characters have this WAY over the top ridiculous French accent, but a lot of the others don't even try to do an accent.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
Beat: Anomaly Warzone Earth. Playtime, about 6 hours on "Advanced" difficulty. The words "intense" and "tower defense" don't usually go together, but somehow 11 Bit managed to make an incredibly intense tower defense game simply by switching the role you play. Instead of building towers, you play the "creeps," choosing their path through the map, managing and upgrading them, and using a handful of abilities to support them. Oh, and you can destroy the towers.

My only real gripe is the lack of a multiplayer mode, since I think the game would really benefit from one. Like, say, the players choose a map, each chooses tower positioning and "creeps" to deploy, and then each has to fight through the other's towers, with the one who makes it the farthest the winner. Maybe I should e-mail the studio with my idea...

Nulled: Dark Fall II: Lights Out. I really don't even know why I bought this one, since my experience with Myst-style adventure games usually amounts to, "wander around, fiddle with a few dials and buttons to no apparent effect, get frustrated and quit." Same story here.

Next up, I'm gonna attempt to beat Freedom Force, a game that I played half-way through and abandoned years ago for some reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also having multiple solutions to puzzles would have been really amazing, instead you end up with a perfectly crafted room that has a section of wall angled in just the way you need to launch yourself to the next area.
That was one of the game's biggest weaknesses, I think. Not only was there only one solution, but it was often given away by the "proper" section of wall being the only one you could even place a portal on.

I hear co-op's great as long as you and the other person are both experiencing it for the first time.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

New Game: Terraria
Does this thing even have a goal/can it be beaten?

New Game: Dear Esther
Supporting Cool projects is the main reason I picked this up, it is also very pretty.

Beat: F.E.A.R. 3
Played co-op as Fettel and it was pretty fun.
The story was not good though, and it really wasn't scary; also 90% of the storytelling came in the last level.
To top it off it was 4hours and 10minuts, I mean come on. I am glad I only paid 6bucks.

Beat: Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
I lost my save that was in the last room so I quickly replayed this game. The last room is a bitch and really sours the experience.

Completed: Saints Row: The Third
I quickly played through this game in co-op on release and honestly wasn't that impressed by it. It was good but not the second coming of Gaben like some people made it out to be.
I still think it might be regarded as more then it is due to the (very well done) over the top setting and events more then gameplay reasons but I have to say it is just a really fun game to dick around with and I now put it at the same level as Saint's Row 2
I did all achievements and even optional stuff like stuntjumps and barnstomring.

Completed: Flight Control HD
I know this game doesn't technically have a goal or anything, but I have all achievements to I marked it as C now.

Completed: World of Goo
Really fun game and the OCD achievements made me have to think for a bit at times.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Zedd posted:

Yes but it's huge and takes a large amount of :spergin: if you want to consider it "beaten." Also the game tells you nothing and if you want to get anywhere meaningful in the game you'll have to read the wiki which in my mind is a loving terrible way to design a game.

Also if you're playing by yourself start with a Small world or you'll be hosed.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Zedd posted:

You can't see a game ending screen, but I'd call it beaten on defeating the Wall of Flesh and unlocking hardmode (more like grind mode) and completed after getting all the top tier hardmode gear.

You can call it mastered when you've built yourself an airship

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished Bulletstorm. I enjoyed it a lot. I never really got tired of kicking monsters into stuff. Just a fun game with lots of inappropriate profanity that nobody would ever actually say. Recommend it.

Working through Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and will likely finish that up next.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I finished a playthrough of Alpha Protocol. Holy crap, this game is amazing, except for the handful of screwy bugs in Moscow; I got burned on several of my goals due to screwups in the event handling of the Embassy mission. Also, a door that didn't advertise itself as plot-based one-way meant I failed to rescue a character I would have preferred survived. The Planescape: Torment influence is very obvious.

My ending spoilers: Alpha Protocol and Halbech were both destroyed. Their respective leaders survived to take the fall for it. Thorton and Scarlet boat off into the sunset in a speedboat with a big Omega on it. Final mission details that might be spoilers even if you've beaten the game: Mina died - she was the character I'd have preferred survived. But Scarlet was my handler for the final mission. And I learned what I presume is her Terrible Secret. I turned Marburg into an ally; he worked the final betrayal upon Leland.

This game covers all the angles even more thoroughly than Planescape did. Even with the rather nasty bugs I hit I can't believe this game was as poorly reviewed as it was.

I also beat Shadowgrounds: Survivor, which is much worse than Shadowgrounds by every metric - especially since I was also one of the 0.1% of players who had the game crash to desktop, without saving progress, with great regularity. Frozenbyte put a patch up on the Steam forums, which got me through the game. Hilariously, after accounting for the crashes and level replays, I spent exactly the same amount of time on Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, to within six minutes.

Something light and fluffy before I move on to Fallout, I think. Costume Quest should fit the bill.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

ManxomeBromide posted:

I also beat Shadowgrounds: Survivor, which is much worse than Shadowgrounds by every metric - especially since I was also one of the 0.1% of players who had the game crash to desktop, without saving progress, with great regularity. Frozenbyte put a patch up on the Steam forums, which got me through the game. Hilariously, after accounting for the crashes and level replays, I spent exactly the same amount of time on Shadowgrounds and Shadowgrounds Survivor, to within six minutes.

That's one way to extend playtime I suppose. I finished Survivor not long ago and I spent less then half the time I did on the original, 7 hours for the first and 3 hours for Survivor. I did like playing them both though.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
So, does anyone know if I can just drop my steamapps folder onto my external drive and copy it over to my new computer? I really don't feel like using up my pitiful monthly bandwidth re-downloading the 50 games I have installed right now. Got Wolfenstein when it was 4.99!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Yup, I just dragged and dropped my entire ~400-450 GB Steam folder from my external onto my new hard drive when my old one died and I had to reinstall Windows.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

You sure can, once you copy the folder back over, you'll have to let it verify the game files when you run one, which takes a couple minutes sometimes, but that should be all you need to do. I reinstall games this way all the time.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Oops, new game! I both Deus Ex HR: The Missing Link. I loved the main game so at 4-6 hours of game at £3 I couldn't refuse. Not much progress on other fronts, played a bit more of Just Cause 2, still as great as ever.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.
Hallelujah! That is the best news I've gotten all day! Thanks guys

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Chief Savage Man posted:

Working through Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and will likely finish that up next.

Finished this just now. Installing Modern Warfare 2 but I'll probably won't play it for a bit. Started up a new Alpha Protocol game which would be number five. It's just too good. I'll probably get sidetracked by Wargame when I buy it though.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So would anyone consider Realm of the Mad God beatable? Maybe when you unlock all classes?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Morter posted:

So would anyone consider Realm of the Mad God beatable? Maybe when you unlock all classes?
Defeating Oryx would be beaten to me.
I don't backloggery free games though!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Wezlar posted:

Defeating Oryx would be beaten to me.
I don't backloggery free games though!
What about "free" games? I've ended up spending a lot of time and money on Spiral Knights recently, mostly because this elevator pass thing means I'm not punished for wanting to play more.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

New Game: Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition. That's 150 hours right there and I've forummed all afternoon instead of cracking on with The Missing Link.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Colon V posted:

What about "free" games? I've ended up spending a lot of time and money on Spiral Knights recently, mostly because this elevator pass thing means I'm not punished for wanting to play more.

I used to put "free to play" titles on the list after I had spent money on them (implied I was spending lots of time on them), but I have recently removed most of them again because they are just going to sit in the null pile. I've never played Spiral Knights but honestly if it has some way to be beaten and you play it often, why shouldn't you put it on? For me, the entire purpose of backloggery is basically to be a glorified checklist, so if your goal is to beat a game, put it on.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I finally beat Assassin's Creed. 21 hours total, pretty fun, but towards the end it started to drag. Once I was on the last half of the 5th memory block I had about 2 hours left and decided to play through it instead of listening to the recommendations on here. Oh well. Next up I think will be Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood. I beat the first a couple months ago, think I'll give the second a try.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

If you're not going to treat it as a Null game (which is probably the appropriate choice) I'd flag it as beaten either when you kill Oryx or unlock all classes. Everything else is just various shades of completionism.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Colon V posted:

Well, if you're putting money into it I'd backlog it.

For me personally, Backloggery is more about keeping my spending on games in check, so if I'm playing something that's F2P and I'm not spending on it it's taking up time but that's not really that important.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Finished: Deus Ex Human Revolution: The Missing Link. Incredible for £3, I must say, took me around six hours and enjoyed most of it, some of the backtracking was a tad tedious, though. Best get on with Fallout 3 considering New Vegas is on the way but I may just use a random number generator.

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
I was playing Assassin's Creed 2 but something about it just didn't click for me like the first one. Maybe it was all the Italian (my family is Italian so it's just more annoying than anything else), or that Leonard da Vinci is so crowbarred in like a distant video game cousin of Hudson Hawk. I don't know, I'll get around to finishing at some point.

In the meantime Deus Ex: Human Revolution is already on sale for :10bux: so I grabbed it and the DLC. Yeah I know, the opposite point of this thread but I doubt it'll ever be on sale for less any time soon.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I started Alan Wake yesterday and 10 hours of gameplay later I beat it. First time I've picked up a game and steamed my way through it in forever. That felt really good. Been meaning to play that game forever. I even owned it on 360, played it for like an hour and it sat on my shelf for over a year then I sold it and bought it on PC when it came out.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
If I put at least 10 hours into a game worth less than that is it good enough? Now, I have my fair share I need to beat (Jedi Knight pack 5 dollars ugh) but I looked through and I have beaten or put a ton of time in many of these games. That said, still haven't beaten many of them, and some of the indy packs I'll play the poo poo out of one and let the rest languish and die. The deals are just so good, how can you not buy this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
Is Dungeons of Dredmor "beatable"? I've been having a lot of fun with it, but roguelikes seem like they would fall into the null category.