Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

o'brien must suffer, worf must be denied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

troi must sense anger

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lord funk posted:

troi must sense anger

don't forget the mind-rape.

i think she was put on the ship by the federation specifically as a meat vessel for use by non-corporeal or psychic space creatures.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u2PqLV7Fkg

postin this

toby
Dec 4, 2002

man i love that one

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

toby posted:

man i love that one

they literally rebuild worf's spine but o'brien's shoulder is unfixable

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

is sg-1 worth watching? ive watched a bunch of individual episodes but am looking for something to watch from start to finish

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Mind Spew posted:

is sg-1 worth watching? ive watched a bunch of individual episodes but am looking for something to watch from start to finish

yes, extremely yes

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Mind Spew posted:

it definitely is, but as soon as o'neil stops being on the show you can just stop watching. you won't miss anything.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

law abiding rapist posted:

it definitely is, but as soon as o'neil stops being on the show you can just stop watching. you won't miss anything.

teal'c grows hair!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there are some good non-o'neil episodes. like the one where they gate into the museum and the people think sg1 is terrorists. and then when sg1 cant convince them they arent terrorists they decide to just go with it and hold them hostage until they can get the gate working

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Inverse Icarus posted:

they literally rebuild worf's spine but o'brien's shoulder is unfixable

there's times when i think some of the writers got really frustrated with being in the space future and wished they could just write stories where people got irreversibly hosed up all the time

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

axolotl farmer posted:

ahahaha this owns

the bit where he says "recommend we go to yellow alert" does he have a lazy EYE?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

there's times when i think some of the writers got really frustrated with being in the space future and wished they could just write stories where people got irreversibly hosed up all the time

on the other hand, it's really hard to have drama when your universe is full of magic fix everything buttons

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
http://vimeo.com/11040425

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

haveblue posted:

on the other hand, it's really hard to have drama when your universe is full of magic fix everything buttons

star trek is pretty pro at ignoring the consequences of their technology

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

haveblue posted:

eh, i can see where those buttons came from though. we don't want to see stories where it's "oh no we have to race against time to get the antidote/dilithium crystals before the crewman dies/the engines run out of power" because it's already been done a bajillion times. there's better ways to find conflict and drama.

of course, we denied them their shortcuts, and the writers simply fashioned their own. "oh no the engine is a ticking time bomb," and "troi can't do the thing that actually makes her useful to the show because it's inconvenient to me as a writer uhhhh, ferengi brain lobes or some such poo poo. i dunno, get off my back, i got coke to snort off jeri ryan's tits."

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the best star trek drama device is the emergency warp core eject not working

what a lovely loving emergency system it never works!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
in the new star trek one thing that bothered the hell out of me is when kirks dad is on the bridge and flyin the ship into nemo's ship he cant leave b/c apparently the auto pilot doesnt work but he can still fly by wire and also the ship cant fly straight w/out someone at the helm?

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

if it did work they'd be trapped in the middle of nowhere all the time whens ome pussy of a captain didn't trust in his engineering team

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but if they were designed properly you could have a backup core or two on board to replace it.

also in federation space there are probably plenty of nearby places that could bring u out a core.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

i kind of want to know where the warp core is on an enterprise-class ship but i'm certain it'll start long night of memoryalpha binging

Boner Buffet
Feb 16, 2006
i get mad when they ignore spacedock in the trek tv shows. in ds9 homefront/paradise lost earth is defended by an old starship.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"enterprise-class"? <:mad:>

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Shaggar posted:

"enterprise-class"? <:mad:>

whatever space nerd i don't know these things

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Inverse Icarus posted:

i kind of want to know where the warp core is on an enterprise-class ship but i'm certain it'll start long night of memoryalpha binging

engineering duh

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

why are there usually like two nacells or whatever and only one core

aren't the nacells far away from humans because they're bad for you

why isn't the core bad

what does the core do

what's happening

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

things i know about warp cores
- they can explode
- they can be ejected sometimes
- you poke at them with crystals and sensors
- sometimes they make aliens appear/spawn

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nacelles house the warp coils used to generate the subspace bubble used to travel thru subspace. matter and antimatter are injected into the core and their reaction generates plasma that is fed to the coils in the nacelles.

iirc the reason they're on pylons is cause the original production designers thought they would be detachable and easly replaced. this obv never really was used in the lore and while influencing other designs, is less pronounced (oberth class) or completely abandonded in certain ship designs (defiant class)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nacelles also house ramscoops used to pickup stray hydrogen which is the primary form of matter used in the core

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKIrCMfHq74

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

yeah have any of the shows or movies ever shown a successful core eject (other than the jjabrams one)? maybe like drop it onto an inhabited planet's capital city like the biggest, highest altitude bomb ever

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

sperg alpha says voyager successfully ejected its core on four separate occasions and the delta flyer 2 once, so that's another thing they ruined

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

pseudorandom name posted:

sperg alpha says voyager successfully ejected its core on four separate occasions and the delta flyer 2 once, so that's another thing they ruined

follow up query: WHAT. do they just have spare cores in the back that they just handtruck into the hole and wire up?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

maniacdevnull posted:

follow up query: WHAT. do they just have spare cores in the back that they just handtruck into the hole and wire up?

havent watched voyager but i guess that they find a race who has the components to build one or an empty planet to mine to rebuild one

in a one liner in the last 2 minutes of the episode

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

maniacdevnull posted:

yeah have any of the shows or movies ever shown a successful core eject (other than the jjabrams one)? maybe like drop it onto an inhabited planet's capital city like the biggest, highest altitude bomb ever
i could have sworn they ejected the warp core in insurrection

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Sniep posted:

havent watched voyager but i guess that they find a race who has the components to build one or an empty planet to mine to rebuild one

in a one liner in the last 2 minutes of the episode

the warp core is actually housed in a giant replicator

they just push button

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Inverse Icarus posted:

the warp core is actually housed in a giant replicator

they just push button

i remember one of those was actually a p good episode

voyager landed on a planet with metallic stuff that would clone whatever showed up. they flew off and never thought it of it again

then like a season and a half later theres this new voyager thats way further along that did all this awesome stuff. turns out the planet cloned the whole ship, but its better in most every way.

except they start breaking apart b/c warp is bad and fucks up the magic goo they're made of. they figure it out that theyre actually metal goo people in a metal goo ship and decide to try to at least get their records to the original voyager (who's tremendously far behind them lol), but on the way they sort of fall apart and dont make it.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

:wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I think we've all been there, am I right here fellas?

• Locked thread