Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations on bands similiar to Baroness? I really like how they go between furious noise and just jamming with southern rock stylings.

I've already been listening to a lot of Sleep/Isis/Electric Wizard, but I guess I'm looking for something that's a little more dynamic instead of a wall of noise. Isis nails the southern rock vibe though.

If you're into Baroness you'll probably like Intronaut's latest album Valley of Smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LmYsCzAgw

edit: That's probably the first time I've ever heard Isis described as having a "southern rock vibe".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

^^Yeah, that was probably the wrong description, but I really like the mellow, twangy guitar work in Isis' stuff. Songs like C.F.T. and Dulcinea.^^

That Intronaut song is pretty sweet, all songs need more bass guitar solos.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Kylesa's Static Tensions is kinda similar, Mastodon's Crack the Skye sound a lot like Baroness as a lot of their stuff is in the same keys.

Awesome, Kylesa is exactly what I was looking for!

I feel like I should really like Mastodon, but a lot of their stuff is too proggish for my taste. It sounds like they are ready to burst into a wild keyboard solo at any time.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 14, 2012

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

I really like the mellow, twangy guitar work in Isis' stuff

Check out Red Sparowes, its basically all mellow twangy guitars and shares at least one member with Isis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4s6Oo5T86c

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I feel like I should really like Mastodon, but a lot of their stuff is too proggish for my taste. It sounds like they are ready to burst into a wild keyboard solo at any time.

I can see what you mean. A lot of their guitar stuff, especially on CTS, is very, very similar to some of Baroness' stuff, especially the tracks on Blue Record. Same keys, very similar riffs etc..

Also dude check out Black Tusk's Taste the Sin, you'll probably like it too. Torche's Meanderthal might be worth a listen too.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Idioteque Dance posted:

Has anyone checked out Juan Montoya (ex-Torche)'s new band Stallone? Their first EP is on bandcamp and I love it. He was clearly the guy in Torche who was way more into the heavy stoner sound than the other members and it shows, I enjoy it far more than Songs for Singles (if it's fair to compare the two like that).

This is pretty cool. It's interesting to hear what Juan brought to Torche; I share the opinion that they're a lot less interesting without him.

Torche's opening set for Boris right after Meanderthal came out is still probably the most intense live show I've ever seen.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Awesome, Kylesa is exactly what I was looking for!

Or just listen to Remission to avoid rampant keyboarding.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

^^I've only heard a couple songs on youtube, but I think I like Remission more than their later stuff^^

I can see what you mean. A lot of their guitar stuff, especially on CTS, is very, very similar to some of Baroness' stuff, especially the tracks on Blue Record. Same keys, very similar riffs etc..
I listened to both albums back to back and :aaaaa: This also explains why I didn't like the Blue Record as much as Baroness' other recordings.

Anyways, thanks for all the suggestions, this gives me a lot to chew on.
Black Tusk, Torche (and Stallone) all sound pretty good at first glance.

Red Sparowes is loving awesome too.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Red Sparowes is loving awesome too.
Speaking of, here's some good news for fans of experimental sludge, Bossk are reforming for (at least) a Maida Vale session recording, some new material and a couple of shows.

Got me listening to their EPs again, just fantastic stuff. Here's a song to check out for the uninitiated.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

West posted:

Or just listen to Remission to avoid rampant keyboarding.

I am a firm believer in bands being able to consistently better themselves through the years as they continue to grow and expand their ability beyond their earliest recordings. Mastodon is a critical counter-argument to that belief, and as hard as they try, nothing they ever do will ever be as heavy as Remission. Even the early demo EP, which is pretty loving boss, is nowhere near as heavy. Leviathan was a drat good try, and I'm definitely a fan, but it's just not the same.

For me, Remission:Leviathan:Crack the Skye == Sleep:Teeth of Lions:Shrinebuilder

There are so many degrees between each that it's hardly even worth quantifying. Either you dig it or you don't.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Thing is Mastodon's past being heavy though.

hankki
Nov 10, 2009
On the stoner side of things, here's Supertzar from Finland with their new EP. You can download the whole thing for free from bandcamp so you guys should check them out. These guys kill live.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Hua†a's amazing!

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

nosophoros posted:

Thing is Mastodon's past being heavy though.

Didn't that idiot Brent even say something like "yeah I don't even like metal anyway :downs:"?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I don't get the Mastodon hate. I like everything they've put out so far including the latest release. I like when a band progresses each album, it seems like a natural thing for a band like them. Kylesa is sorta doing the same thing and it seems like Baroness' next album might be a bit different than their last.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Going to see Sleep at the end of May :worship:
Also Yob, Melvins, WitTR, Slayer and Death Grips...all for €50 :holy:

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Polegrinder posted:

I don't get the Mastodon hate. I like everything they've put out so far including the latest release. I like when a band progresses each album, it seems like a natural thing for a band like them. Kylesa is sorta doing the same thing and it seems like Baroness' next album might be a bit different than their last.

Maybe it's because both Kylesa and Mastodon sound more like alternative rock bands than metal and they were better at making metal than alternative rock.

I still dig both of em, just went to see Kylesa a couple of weeks ago. I just totally get all the hate.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
I don't hate mastodon at all, I've seen them two or three times. I just think Brent Hinds is retarded. Because he is.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

nuncle jimbo posted:

I don't hate mastodon at all, I've seen them two or three times. I just think Brent Hinds is retarded. Because he is.

Cracks a hell of a drug.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Going to see Sleep at the end of May :worship:
Also Yob, Melvins, WitTR, Slayer and Death Grips...all for €50 :holy:

Also gonna see Sleep in may. And not only that, OM was just confirmed to play in Finland in april. :aaa: This is shaping up to be an awesome year gig-wise.

Is Sleep always this expensive? The tickets are 35 euros here, which is a lot compared to usual prices.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
Welp, just got this in my email.

thebongripper@gmail.com posted:

Hello everyone,
We just wanted to give you a heads up that the store will be open around 10am (CST) on Tuesday Feb 21st. At that time you will be able to order T-shirts, and pre-order the Satan Worshipping Doom 2LP. If you are ordering just a T-shirt, your T-shirt will ship out as soon as possible. If you are ordering a T-shirt and a LP, we will wait until the LPs come in (they are being shipped to us today) to ship both of them together. Also, there will be further instructions on the website on ordering multiple items. So please keep an eye open for those.

Bongripper

I've set up my alarm clock, just in case :2bong:

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l
The new Torche single is up on Pitchfork.

Sounds pretty much like classic Torche, and a step away from some of the stuff on Songs for Singles (which I liked, but sounded more like Hum than Torche in places).

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Winston Chill posted:

Welp, just got this in my email.

I've set up my alarm clock, just in case :2bong:

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking to get a Bongripper shirt for a while but their store has been out of stock. Just snagged one... aww yeaaa.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

NuclearGuru posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I've been looking to get a Bongripper shirt for a while but their store has been out of stock. Just snagged one... aww yeaaa.

Yea, I just picked up a new shirt and Satan Worshipping Doom. So excited.

Winston Chill
Aug 24, 2008

Fine and dandy.
Managed to snatch the LP and the shirt too. Literally spilled my beer all over when I saw the order confirmation in my email. They sold out way too fast.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

We're doing a tour!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Aw man I wanna see you guys with YOTG :( bring that tour to the US

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm combing the thread for previous suggestions, but in case anybody's stumbled on anything new, what's some good, dark desert rock/metal? I've got plenty of Kyuss and Fu Manchu, early Monster Magnet, Witch and the like, but I want more of that groove-oriented feel. I know it's straying out of the purview of this thread, but something like a somewhat heavier version of Lullabies to Paralyze is what I'm looking for.

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 22, 2012

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

saigon_15 posted:

We're doing a tour!

drat. I will be on Berlin from the states a few days after that.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm combing the thread for previous suggestions, but in case anybody's stumbled on anything new, what's some good, dark desert rock/metal? I've got plenty of Kyuss and Fu Manchu, early Monster Magnet, Witch and the like, but I want more of that groove-oriented feel. I know it's straying out of the purview of this thread, but something like a somewhat heavier version of Lullabies to Paralyze is what I'm looking for.

Pick up Blood Lust by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, I think you'll enjoy it.

Poffo
Oct 26, 2005
Rawr!

saigon_15 posted:

We're doing a tour!

I was really bummed out when you had to cancel your sumpanshow. Do you know if the SE-date will be in stockholm?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New High on Fire in April :worship:

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.

fozzie dunlop posted:

Pick up Blood Lust by Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, I think you'll enjoy it.

Get Vol.1 while you're at it, I got both and find myself listening to Vol.1 more.

Speewah
May 28, 2011

New High on Fire in April :worship:

Wicked. They certainly do have a thing for Lovecraft.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008
2012 just keeps getting better and better.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I shelled out €200 for flights and a ticket to go see Sleep in London only to find out this morning they're playing in Dublin two nights before :downs:
Oh well, it's Sleep. Can't hurt to see them twice.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

West posted:

Wanted to share some information about a new compilation being released tomorrow by Satanik Recordings.

It's entitled Swamp Abyss Sorcery and it contains some of the finest examples of independent heaviness native to Florida in recent history.

Bands included are: Shroud Eater, Druid Lord, Fatal, Hollow Leg(ex-Bloodlet), Orbweaver(ex-Hate Eternal), Flyingsnakes, Hot Graves, Party Time, Extremely Rotten, Holly Hunt(ex-Floor), and my band: Fire in the Cave.

edit: Click here for a free download of the comp!

Thanks, there's some cool stuff on here. Your band's song was either my favorite or second favorite on the comp.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Anyone heard Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction? Just came out a few days ago, traditional Brit-sounding doom from...wait for it...Little Rock, Arkansas. poo poo's amazing though. One of the best albums of 2012 so far, I'd say.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

skasion posted:

Anyone heard Pallbearer - Sorrow and Extinction? Just came out a few days ago, traditional Brit-sounding doom from...wait for it...Little Rock, Arkansas. poo poo's amazing though. One of the best albums of 2012 so far, I'd say.

Yeah, I live down the road from Little Rock and Pallbearer kicks rear end. Heavily recommended.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm really digging Pallbearer thanks for the recommendations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Poffo posted:

I was really bummed out when you had to cancel your sumpanshow. Do you know if the SE-date will be in stockholm?

It probably wont be, but we're working around the clock to set something up around Stockholm before we leave.