Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Everyone they've met since Hinjo has described them as 'high-level adventurers'.

In terms of the setting they're pretty impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also, one thing about this comic is that none of the characters are really, well, optimal, for their roles.

Roy is, well, a straight Fighter, V is a blasting wizard, Durkon tends to focus on just healing and buffing rather then take advantage of the insane cleric spells. Haley is a bow focused Rogue in a world with Wind Wall. Ironically, Elan is the only character that's done any "munchkin" stuff, with his prestige class that lets him uses his stats to his benefit.

Overall the OoTS world seems to be pretty low level over all though.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
To be fair, if they were optimized the strip would have ended a very long time ago.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

crime fighting hog posted:

To be fair, if they were optimized the strip would have ended a very long time ago.

I'm not so sure they can or could have optimized. Roy, at least, is a pure fighter because of his grandfather and because it pisses his father off. To optimize would be against his character.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
He needs to crack open the Book of Nine Swords.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Elan has munchkinned, yes, but only to bring him up to the level of the rest of the party.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

crime fighting hog posted:

And the strip would be a lot less fun, because Roy wouldn't have put such a high stat in Intelligence.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pope Guilty posted:

Elan has munchkinned, yes, but only to bring him up to the level of the rest of the party.

Eh, in direct combat at least. Bards play best as force-multipliers so his contributions are always going to be slightly difficult to measure. Adding +hit and +damage is unexciting, but potentially vital. Without seeing the numbers we'll never really know how much he actually contributed before his Dashing Swordsman upgrade.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There's a thread to follow the post-drive information.

Rich Burlew will be working on the PDF's in the order he thinks he can get them done most easily, and sending out them out as he finishes them. The O-Chul story will be the longest one, so not the first.

His first priority is getting the colouring book to the printers.

It's subject to change, but at the moment, the three bonus "Character of your Choice" PDF's will be about Therkla, the Cliffport Cops ("some sort of cop show parody"), and Belkar, Pre-OOTS days.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's subject to change, but at the moment, the three bonus "Character of your Choice" PDF's will be about Therkla, the Cliffport Cops ("some sort of cop show parody"), and Belkar, Pre-OOTS days.

Man, I know it's buyer's choice and all, but you'd really have to try to think of a worse trio of choices with all of the interesting characters in the OOTS-verse.

At least Belkar's will be interesting, maybe.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Niton posted:

Man, I know it's buyer's choice and all, but you'd really have to try to think of a worse trio of choices with all of the interesting characters in the OOTS-verse.

I think the cops could be interesting depending on what Rich does with them, but I am annoyed no one picked Tarquin or Hinjo or an Order of the Scribble member. Those would have been my picks.

Also what the hell kind of story do they think he can even tell about Thekla? We sat through basically the only interesting events in her life and she was by far the worst and most obnoxious part of them.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Niton posted:

Therkla's is an interesting concept at least, the Cliffport Cops is just Rich picking something specific from a vague request; I honestly think Belkar is the worst choice for that because he's a main character and we get lots of Belkar anyway, someone like Fyron or Gortok or that Druid from Cliffport would have been better I think

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

My guess is Tarquin, Hinjo and the OotScribble are due to get their own prequel books at some point.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

Ironically, Elan is the only character that's done any "munchkin" stuff, with his prestige class that lets him uses his stats to his benefit.

It's a running joke of the strip that Elan is actually the only optimised character in the group.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm a sucker for police procedurals and comedy so I'm looking forward to that one.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wonder if he would've done a story on the Monster in the Dark before he met Xykon.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^ Have you read SoD?

The Cliffport Cops jokes were some of my favourite in the whole comic, so I'm not unhappy; on the other side, I couldn't care less about some comic relief characters' backstory, so the question is whether Rich can write more jokes that are just as funny. We'll see.

Therkla is the one that interests me the least based on what I've read of her, but on the other side, I think there's definitely the potential for a really great story in how a half-orc ended up as Kubota's personal ninja. Problem is, I can't see that beind handled properly in 8-12 pages. So I'm bracing for disappointment there.

Belkar... well, it's going to hinge on whether we get some actual background i.e. his days with the halfling community, or whether Rich goes for another cop-out (after the one in OtOoPCs) and starts with Belkar already being the same murderous criminal as always.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 22, 2012

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Well Belkar always refers to crazy events in the Bitterleaf family, so seeing some of that could be amusing.

Of course I'd rather see things like MiTD or SoD spoilers: Redeyes daughter get answered, but these are probably reserved for the main comic.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

NihilCredo posted:

Belkar... well, it's going to hinge on whether we get some actual background i.e. his days with the halfling community, or whether Rich goes for another cop-out (after the one in OtOoPCs) and starts with Belkar already being the same murderous criminal as always.

Belkar doesn't have an origin. He was always evil. That's the joke. Still, him being evil in the stereotypically nice halfling village would be pretty cool.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SoD spoiler: Xykon was always evil, too, but his origin story was still interesting.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

NihilCredo posted:

SoD spoiler: Xykon was always evil, too, but his origin story was still interesting.

Continued spoilers: Well, yeah - but he's a lich, a powerful once-human caster. By definition, he was something different before, whereas Belkar is just a halfling

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

The Rooster posted:

Of course I'd rather see things like MiTD or SoD spoilers: Redeyes daughter get answered, but these are probably reserved for the main comic.
I would have picked her as well, that or the history of the crimson mantle. Belkar could be interesting, because now that he will probably die Rich may be willing to reveal much more about his past.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Those picks were pretty bad. I mean Belkar could be good, and the Cops could be funny (but definitely not interesting). I can't see Therkla being anything other then a miss though. Hinjo would've been awesome and so would Tarquin.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Niton posted:

Continued spoilers: Well, yeah - but he's a lich, a powerful once-human caster. By definition, he was something different before, whereas Belkar is just a halfling

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that Xykon is a lich.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Alchenar posted:

But, he's also a sorcerer!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Colon V posted:

But, he's also a sorcerer!

I also think he might be evil!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
He's also an evil sorcerer who killed Roy's father's master - which, incidentally, was revealed in the webcomic, so I don't know why I'm spoilering that. But if you are, so shall I.

I still am not getting how "rich burr low" makes any sense, though. Is it an anagram? I suck with those, and especially with palindromes! :ohdear:

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Nenonen posted:

I still am not getting how "rich burr low" makes any sense, though. Is it an anagram? I suck with those, and especially with palindromes! :ohdear:

His first name is Rich, and he just made a lot of money. You're overthinking it.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Alchenar posted:

Well, yeah, but the point was to not ruin the context of the rest of the spoilers :shobon:

Maybe a lot of us don't care at this point, but there's probably someone reading the thread who just bought SotD and is now waiting for Rich to process his 25,000 books in orders.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Sefer posted:

His first name is Rich, and he just made a lot of money.

Money? What money? oO

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
The Kickstarter. 1.25 million dollars raised.

Speaking of which, I am still getting a kick out of V lining up to kick Belkar in the shins in the final chart comic.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
"He's really good at this."

Oh God yes, dungeon stuff. I love it.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
drat, they haven't been in a dungeon since the beginning of the strip, have they?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Niton posted:

Well, yeah, but the point was to not ruin the context of the rest of the spoilers :shobon:

Maybe a lot of us don't care at this point, but there's probably someone reading the thread who just bought SotD and is now waiting for Rich to process his 25,000 books in orders.

I also don't think it's a spoiler to point out that Start of Darkness contains Xykon's origin story. Also it's established on the very first page that Xykon has always been evil, that isn't a big story element.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!

Mystic Mongol posted:

He needs to crack open the Book of Nine Swords.

He can't. His dad wouldn't pay for a graduate program.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jefepato posted:

He can't. His dad wouldn't pay for a graduate program.
You know, thinking on it, Roy would actually make a very good Iron Heart/Stone Dragon Warblade with very little changing about his combat style except he'd suddenly be far more dangerous.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
So I had forgotten where the demon roaches come from, and reading through the archives, apparently the MitD attracts them naturally. I really wish we knew what the gently caress that thing is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He is the son of the lady of blades. Eh, who knows.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colon V posted:

You know, thinking on it, Roy would actually make a very good Iron Heart/Stone Dragon Warblade with very little changing about his combat style except he'd suddenly be far more dangerous.

I think that was the point of the joke in snips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Cuchulain posted:

So I had forgotten where the demon roaches come from, and reading through the archives, apparently the MitD attracts them naturally. I really wish we knew what the gently caress that thing is.

They are attracted to Xykon because (sod spoilers) He ate a bunch of hellfood at an evil diner