Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

What's a good entry point (or codifier) for the Megami Tensei franchise? I have always been interested in the games but totally lost as to what's worth, what should be done in order, that kind of stuff. I don't really know how Persona relates, but I have a copy of Persona 2 and haven't actually played it yet.

My personal favorites are Digital Devil Saga and its sequel. I liked the aesthetic and the skill system best personally, and on the difficulty scale it's not too bad. Soundtrack is awesome too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

iastudent posted:

What's roguelike about Strange Journey? Unless you're referring to forma spawns every time you re-enter a dungeon.

I just got to that part by the way so I'm genuinely curious.
Oh, it's only the tinsels of roguelike I guess if you're referring to the randomization aspect (SJ doesn't really have that). It's definitely a dungeon crawler, at least much more so than most other MegaTen games. I haven't played Wizardry but I guess that's a better comparison?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of SMT I've just bought the PSP remake of Persona 1, I've never played it before but I hear it's pretty brutal, any tips?

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

:swoon:

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So apparently XSEED is going to make an announcement tomorrow that may coincide with Steam.

Assuming this means more RPGs on Steam, I figured I'd ask in advance which PC versions from their library will be worth looking into. I asked about Ys on PSP, but I'm unfamiliar on what the PC versions are like, and if they're superior in any way.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Joramun posted:

:swoon:

It's pretty rare to see a straight up romanized title for localizations.

Primoman posted:

So apparently XSEED is going to make an announcement tomorrow that may coincide with Steam.

Assuming this means more RPGs on Steam, I figured I'd ask in advance which PC versions from their library will be worth looking into. I asked about Ys on PSP, but I'm unfamiliar on what the PC versions are like, and if they're superior in any way.

Yes! Trails in the Sky SC, please.

Arctic Cress
Oct 23, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of SMT I've just bought the PSP remake of Persona 1, I've never played it before but I hear it's pretty brutal, any tips?

I finally beat this game on Sunday. It is a terrible game and the remake does little to make the game any better.

I never had a problem with the difficulty, though, it stayed pretty easy except for one late game dungeon.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rinkles posted:

Yes! Trails in the Sky SC, please.

Is this the same as the PSP game, or is it a sequel/spin-off?

I asked before why TiTS is so popular (don't say it, it's too easy), even though I've settled on Tactics Ogre when I get my Vita.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Since you're already bought it, the only tip I want to give is that I hope you don't let your Persona 1 experience stop you from trying Persona 2.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Primoman posted:

Is this the same as the PSP game, or is it a sequel/spin-off?

I asked before why TiTS is so popular (don't say it, it's too easy), even though I've settled on Tactics Ogre when I get my Vita.

It's a trilogy released both on PC and PSP (the following trilogy is out only on PSP, and is getting ported to the PSV). SC is the second game in the Trails trilogy.

It's a pretty decent traditional JRPG with above average writing (nothing spectacular, though, as far as the translation goes). The protagonists aren't mopey social invalids. And the story never turns towards the melodramatic. It's a charming little adventure. The battle system is fine, though there's a lot of room for expanding on the established mechanics - which I'm hopeful SC provides. The game also avoids much of the frustrating design elements of many JRPGS - no random battles, and failed engagements can be retried ad infinitum (there's even an option to gradually reduce the difficulty the more you fail a given battle).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Primoman posted:

I just bought Trails for the PSP, dang it

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Trails in the Sky is, like Rinkles said, just a fun, charming adventure. The characters are likeable, the combat is fun (and was pretty well balanced, it never felt too easy or too hard), and it has decent amount of optional content. I'll also disagree with Rinkles and say the translation was pretty good (as I recall), not amazing but it had a lot of life to it.

Also, it had a fantastic sequel hook, so please let the announcement be the Second Chapter.

Honest Thief posted:

It could be the second chapter to Trails in the Sky, meaning you wouldn't have wasted your money.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 22, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Honest Thief posted:

I'd say most likely it's Ys Origin and/or Oath. I would much rather it be Trails myself though, since I don't already own that.

Getting Falcom stuff onto Steam would be really good news in general either way.

Cake Attack posted:

Also, it had a fantastic sequel hook, so please let the announcement be the Second Chapter.

I'm almost 100% certain XSEED has already said they've been working on SC for a while now. PSP version mind you, but I swear I just read that somewhere.

I doubt that would be this announcement anyway, why would they do FC on PSP then SC on PC?

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 22, 2012

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I'm almost 100% certain XSEED has already said they've been working on SC for a while now. PSP version mind you, but I swear I just read that somewhere.

They have, but I seem to recall hearing that there are some issues with respect to releasing it on the psp, so that's why the fact it's a steam game is making me hopeful. Whatever, it's not worth speculating too hard, the announcement's tomorrow after all.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Cake Attack posted:

They have, but I seem to recall hearing that there are some issues with respect to releasing it on the psp, so that's why the fact it's a steam game is making me hopeful.

That I didn't remember hearing.

If they're releasing SC on Steam they better drat well release the first game on it too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'll also disagree with Rinkles and say the translation was pretty good (as I recall), not amazing but it had a lot of life to it.

I didn't mean to suggest it was bad. It's better than most of the stuff we get, but it doesn't really rise above it's mold. Which is a shame because parts of it *are* really well written. SpaceDrake's more in the know, and I remember him saying there was a change of translators early on in the project. And it shows. Although I suspect some of the dips in quality are attributable to the fatigue resulting from translating the game's monstrosity of a script. It's huge. Almost every little NPC (in a given area, you can't completely back track) has something new to say after a bit of plot progression.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

It was either on Twitter or on the Sony blog, but a few months back an XSeed employee responded to someone's question about future Trails games by saying they were indeed looking into Steam.

Whatever it ends up being I think it's a great idea. I really want some good JRPG type stuff on my PC.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rinkles posted:

That is really weird, actually. Though Shin Megami Tensei is, of course, another notable example.

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay, so the Trails game released on PSP is the first of the trilogy, (and is also on PC?), with rumors that the second and third games will be released on PC and/or Steam.

If that's the case, I wonder if it would be better to have it on a handheld or on PC. I guess I'll wait for confirmation before venturing further.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Primoman posted:

Okay, so the Trails game released on PSP is the first of the trilogy, (and is also on PC?), with rumors that the second and third games will be released on PC and/or Steam.

Pretty much, the trilogy is on both PSP and PC in Japan, but XSeed localized the first game for the PSP only, and now there are rumors the second may come on the PC. (There are three games in the series, but the main plot wraps up at the end of the second, so it's conceivable that we'd only ever get the first and second chapters.)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah releasing it on Steam is probably the only reason they could justify continuing with the localizations at this point. Strictly PSP just seems like a death wish given the western market for PSP games right now and the upcoming launch of the Vita.

Pretty stoked.

Rinkles posted:

I didn't mean to suggest it was bad. It's better than most of the stuff we get, but it doesn't really rise above it's mold. Which is a shame because parts of it *are* really well written. SpaceDrake's more in the know, and I remember him saying there was a change of translators early on in the project. And it shows. Although I suspect some of the dips in quality are attributable to the fatigue resulting from translating the game's monstrosity of a script. It's huge. Almost every little NPC (in a given area, you can't completely back track) has something new to say after a bit of plot progression.
Honestly I didn't even notice until someone here pointed it out and then I thought back on it.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 22, 2012

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
First scans of Etrian Odyssey IV, coming out on the 3DS on July 5th :allears:

The graphics look a lot better, can't wait to get mauled by a 3D deer because I got between it and its 3D deer baby. Hot air balloons also look cool, can't wait for air currents to push me 20 blocks into a tornado. New classes again, the protector/hoplite analogue looks cool.

softcorps
May 25, 2005

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
Damnit, why couldn't it be a cross-platform game... if only it were on Vita too. That casual mode sounds nice, and I'm looking forward to seeing all the new character portraits.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
They somehow managed to make the new Medic even more chipper, somehow, and the new Dancer even more revealing and questionable.

Rinkles posted:

Trails FC went through three translators; that's a matter of record. Word on The Street, as it were, is that the first one quit around the end of the first "proper" act, after the prologue (I.E. he did the entire Rolent and Bose sections). Then someone else took over, and a third person was brought in to bring it over the finish line. You can really see a bit of a shift right at the start of act 2 (the Ruan region), and there's another bit of a shift in the final act in Grancel.

Hopefully they can keep things a bit more consistent for SC (if that comes over), but we'll see.

The idea of Falcom games on Steam makes me impossibly excited, though. They're such a perfect match for the platform and it's the only way we'll see Ys Origin overseas, seemingly.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Looks like XSEED's announcement was done at Nintendo's conference this morning. They're bringing The Last Story over to the US.

Good news all around, but I'm hoping they'll explain that Steam registry addition at some point.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Garlic Wall posted:

First scans of Etrian Odyssey IV, coming out on the 3DS on July 5th :allears:

The graphics look a lot better, can't wait to get mauled by a 3D deer because I got between it and its 3D deer baby. Hot air balloons also look cool, can't wait for air currents to push me 20 blocks into a tornado. New classes again, the protector/hoplite analogue looks cool.

Ugh. Looks like most of my party is going to be dudes again.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

iastudent posted:

Looks like XSEED's announcement was done at Nintendo's conference this morning. They're bringing The Last Story over to the US.

Good news all around, but I'm hoping they'll explain that Steam registry addition at some point.

Tears, tears of joy. Did they give a timeframe for the release?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Morpheus posted:

Ugh. Looks like most of my party is going to be dudes again.

I like the artist's style, he's quite skilled. I just wish someone in charge would say "Hey, draw some adults you loving creep."

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wendell posted:

I like the artist's style, he's quite skilled. I just wish someone in charge would say "Hey, draw some adults you loving creep."

Yeah, exactly. And to his credit, when he draws women in armor they tend to be completely covered in the stuff. But stuff like that dancer is just...no.

Also, sweet, Last Story. Though if it comes out around the same time as Xenoblade, gently caress.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

iastudent posted:

Arg this is not what I wanted

Oh but this sure was. Too bad it means I have to buy a 3DS finally.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Arg this is not what I wanted

Well even if the announcement was something completely out of left field, it doesn't account for the fact that XSeed was added to the steam registry, so something is still probably going to come from that.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
I don't know anywhere else to ask this but I am about to play Last Remnant for the first time (have had it sitting on steam since it released on there) and I know the game has a bunch of Bullshit Unintuitive Mechanics where you can permanently gimp yourself by killing too many enemies or leveling too fast, or using too many guys or some silly things before a certain point in the game. I know some things changed between the XBOX -> PC port, but if anyone can give me a basic spoiler free rundown of what to do to not gently caress myself over horribly I would be most appreciative.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
If you're not out to min-max your units from day 1 then you don't need to know anything up front and can play comfortably however you want. You can sleep peacefully knowing that they dialed back the enemy scaling in relation to your BR, and that linking enemies doesn't gently caress you as hard in the PC version. Linking can still gently caress you IN EGREGIOUSLY MASSIVE QUANTITIES though so don't grind like a madman unless you need to (enemies scale at certain BR levels so grinding can end up blowing up in your face unless you min-max the way you grind).

You don't need to grind for most of the game's content on a first playthrough. Most people actually don't even hit the magic BR numbers for upscaling effect on the PC version).

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

If you're not out to min-max your units from day 1 then you don't need to know anything up front and can play comfortably however you want. You can sleep peacefully knowing that they dialed back the enemy scaling in relation to your BR, and that linking enemies doesn't gently caress you as hard in the PC version. Linking can still gently caress you IN EGREGIOUSLY MASSIVE QUANTITIES though so don't grind like a madman unless you need to (enemies scale at certain BR levels so grinding can end up blowing up in your face unless you min-max the way you grind).

You don't need to grind for most of the game's content on a first playthrough. Most people actually don't even hit the magic BR numbers for upscaling effect on the PC version).

I am mostly worried that if I get to too high a level I won't be able to effectively use Cool Dudes I get later on in the game. If I just play normally and do the sidequests as they appear, I won't mess up future additions to my force, will I?

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

MotU posted:

I am mostly worried that if I get to too high a level I won't be able to effectively use Cool Dudes I get later on in the game. If I just play normally and do the sidequests as they appear, I won't mess up future additions to my force, will I?

I'd be more worried about character planning than being too high of a level. I found it really obnoxious that I wanted my characters to go one direction, but through poor planning watched them go another without a means to correct it easily.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MotU posted:

This is largely fixed in the PC version, as I understand it - I've never gone and tested it myself but I understand they changed it so even at max BR you can still get statups. They will almost certainly be a lot slower to level up, but shouldn't be unsalvagable.

Again, though, 'don't grind' is a pretty good piece of advice.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug

Xenix posted:

I'd be more worried about character planning than being too high of a level. I found it really obnoxious that I wanted my characters to go one direction, but through poor planning watched them go another without a means to correct it easily.

Could you give me some suggestions about how to be proactive about it? I tried looking at wikis and stuff but it throws so much information at you and terminology I have no idea what it means.

I did start it up and am enjoying it so far despite the game trying to turn you off to it almost immediately.

So far Pros are:

Emma :allears:
Music owns
Battles look awesome as all get out

Cons:
Johnny Yong Bosch
Rush is retarded (On the upside his model looks as dumb as he acts and sounds)
Help what do I do I understand nothing
That intro Jesus Christ
Seriously how does Johnny Yong Bosch keep getting work with only one available voice

As long as the battles look as cool as they do on the first few fights and the music continues to be great I am fine with just hitting buttons and hoping for the best

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TLR effortpost incoming!

The main method is to go into characters' skill lists and turn off things you don't want them to use, and this is particularly important in Rush's case because he gets access to every skillset under the sun. Pick a weapon group, and check whether you really want to use the other sets he gets, turning them off if not. Rush's stats could lend himself well to being a jack of all trades but you're better off deciding something like 'Rush will use two swords and physical skills and herbs done the rest is off'.

Remember to spread the wealth on practise, as well. The union leader is prioritized for skill use, so they'll strongly tend to edge ahead on abilities. Check the options each turn to see if there's a more balanced one that spreads the MP around a little, and remember to rotate your unions every so often to give someone else the chance for that Sweep Attack IV. Just remember to set your leaders back to normal for bosses, as they're the only ones who can use Unique Attacks such as Gae Bolg.

Very generally speaking: at the start of the game, when healing is rare, you want larger unions so you have access to it. Later on, when healing is plentiful, you want smaller unions. Smaller unions have a number of benefits - more flexibility in unions, more ability to control the battlefield. Status effects are harder to stick on small groups, too - the way it works is that the chance is rolled against each member of the union, and if it sticks on one it sticks on all of them.

There's a guy in the Athlum town centre a little way into the game who offers to give you access to a huge list of generic-brand Athlum troops to fill out your army. Forget him. You're running the PC version, which means all of your guys can be bona fide NPCs from the guild and will thus have massively better skill picks.

The 'standard' sets:
- Weapon Arts are handy for everyone, though if a character is INT-focused and has an attack magic set you should probably just turn them off and put them in a magic union. (Pagus)
- Herbs are useful, non-magic healing, good for the first half of the game at least, but require item stock to use. They're also the fastest and easiest way to get access to revival. A good skill for as many officers as possible.
- Remedies are magical healing. They're a lot slower to get going than Herbs, but a lot more powerful in the end. Another excellent skill to prioritize when recruiting.
- Invocations are short-range magic attacks (i.e. the two unions have to clash to do them). The set runs from small single target attacks to multi-union AoE effects and it's one of the most reliable magic attack sets around.

The 'advanced' sets:
- Evocations are long-range magic attacks. They're a bit lacking in power and convincing the AI to pick them over Invocations can take some doing, but the ability to strike without clashing comes in handy sometimes.
- Hexes are debilitating spells, usually combined with some hefty damage. It can't be stressed that stuff like poison or curse are substantially powerful in TLR, but getting them to stick on a single target like a boss is very difficult.
- Psionics are magical spells revolving around manipulating morale, which doesn't sound all that impressive until you see just how badly rock-bottom morale fucks an army over. Very powerful, but very hard to find and skill up - it'll take some babysitting.
- Potions use item stock to provide stat buffs. It's boring and I don't think I've ever chosen to actively use the skillset, but I wouldn't turn it off outright: it does fire as part of 'Support' commnds, so if someone doesn't have a healing spell and you order a heal they may choose to throw out a potion rather than defend.
- Lotions is a combination of Potions and Herbs and a very good item set, but good luck learning or skilling it up. Item stock's hard to find and most officers will learn this late, if they even get the chance.

Anything else is either an item art that costs too much or doesn't have a sufficient effect to bother with, or else esoteric spellsets you only find on a couple of people.

Regarding battle and what the hell you're doing in it:

It'll take some time to click, but the important thing about the battle system is how unions interact. There is a sense of distance and movement in the game, but that distance is largely defined by 'am I locked with an enemy union or not?' and the battle order is tweaked to try to ensure that everything works around that.

Locking with a union forces the two unions to focus on each other and is the default state you'll get into in battle. Attempting to attack a union that's already been locked by something is beneficial, because you'll flank them, but if the enemy has any unlocked units they can preempt this by intercepting. Again, this will lock those two units.

This is why lots of unions is important - the enemy can only lock as many unions as they have, so the moment you outnumber them is the moment you can start flanking without the fear of interception.

If you're in a lock, you should probably stay in that lock, even if that means healing while under attack. Breaking a lock to heal is very dangerous - think of it as a rout, effectively. If you absolutely have to break a lock, make sure that you have another union coming in the same turn to attack the enemy you're breaking from. If you don't, the enemy will immediately chase the routed union and smash it into the ground with heavy morale penalties and pretty much double damage, completely undoing the healing and probably killing it.

Dealing with huge enemies or bosses - both of which can lock multiple unions - generally becomes a game of rotating unions in to attack and out to heal, while making sure that at least two are always keeping the boss pinned down.

Other crap:

- Any time you fight giant bird enemies, have as few unions as possible attack it first turn. You might get forced into attacking it, but try to limit the numbers. All of them will AoE curse first turn without fail, which really sucks if you charged all your units in.

- "Cure them, even if it kills them!" is the most metal way to fix status ailments around. Nothing like seeing your union chop apart another union then throw a revival herb on them.

- Now I really want to play TLR again god drat it.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
Thank you very much for that post, the battle stuff was slowly clicking but the skill stuff wasn't; It took me a bit to realize that nope, you can't check any skill ranks or anything because The Last Remnant kind of hates you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MotU posted:

The Last Remnant kind of hates you

Yeah, pretty much. Moves will gain ranks - Nimble Slash will turn into Nimble Slash III over time - but there's no way to look stuff up.

Oh, right. At certain battle ranks, party members will ask you if you think they should learn a new skill set. I'm pretty sure there's no downside to this on the PC version, where if you don't like it you can instantly turn it off.

e: vvvvvv That's because the 360 version really hates your guts, whereas the PC version just feels a mild blistering revulsion to you.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 23, 2012