Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Cams would be interesting, are the heads an all new design? Wonder if billet cams for a EJ205T would fit and you could just re-profile them to your desire?

Has anyone ever had any experience tuning a DI engine? I've tuned my fair share of N/A's on a motec but they were all EFI. Fundamentally any difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Here's hoping there's a US model without navigation, my phone's got a better resolution screen than those poor proprietary things. On the other hand, if I have to give up cruise control to avoid nav, that's gonna be lovely. Hoping that the Scion customizability shines through on this.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sure those L1 and L2 open levels are going to apply to the US on the BRZ. I remember awhile back a Subaru rep stated that even the base model (Premium) in the US will have HIDs and Navigation.

I'm betting 16" wheels won't be on any trim level in the US either for the BRZ (but probably likely for the Scion.)

quote:

13 SUBARU BRZ PREMIUM AND LIMITED
200-hp direct-injected 2.0-liter 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER® engine
Close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission or optional adaptive 6-speed automatic transmission with Sport mode and paddle shifters
Rear-wheel drive
Limited-slip rear differential
17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels
Sport-tuned suspension with double wishbone rear architecture
HID headlights
BRZ PREMIUM
Cloth upholstery
Integrated 8-speaker audio and voice-activated GPS navigation system
Bluetooh® audio streaming and hands-free phone connectivity
USB/iPod® control
HD Radio™ with iTunes® tagging capability
SiriusXM Satellite Radio and NavTraffic
BRZ LIMITED ADDS
Leather/Alcantara® upholstery
Keyless Access & Start
Automatic climate control
Heated front seats and side mirrors
Fog lights
Rear spoiler
Specifications
Horsepower 200 @ 7000 rpm
Torque (lb.-ft.) 151 @ 6400 rpm
Drivetrain Layout Front Engine/Rear Wheel Drive
Length 166.7 in.
Width 69.9 in.
Height 50.6 in.
Wheelbase 101.2 in.
Tire Size 215/45R17
Track (Front/Rear) 59.8 in. / 60.6 in.
Front Suspension MacPherson Strut
Rear Suspension Double Wishbone
Seating 2 + 2

The model difference stuff is on Subaru's website itself.

Splizwarf posted:

Here's hoping there's a US model without navigation, my phone's got a better resolution screen than those poor proprietary things. On the other hand, if I have to give up cruise control to avoid nav, that's gonna be lovely. Hoping that the Scion customizability shines through on this.

Not on the Subaru, but I'm pretty sure the Scion doesn't have built in Nav, judging by the pictures of the headunit floating around.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 23, 2012

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

What would you say is a realistic expectation?

It depends in how strung out the motor is but you can usually find 5-10% gain for NA and more if you get crazy with the build up.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
The fact that in 2012 cruise control is still considered an "option" is kinda sad. I mean cars now a days are controlled by computers anyway, having to pay money to enable the buttons is retarded.

My guess is that the US price of both the FRS and BRZ will be announced at the Dallas auto show, it fits with the whole mid-march estimate. I mean, there's only so much time they can string us along, right?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Rabble posted:

The fact that in 2012 cruise control is still considered an "option" is kinda sad. I mean cars now a days are controlled by computers anyway, having to pay money to enable the buttons is retarded.

My guess is that the US price of both the FRS and BRZ will be announced at the Dallas auto show, it fits with the whole mid-march estimate. I mean, there's only so much time they can string us along, right?

I never use cruse control. I'd probably pay to have it removed.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Brigdh posted:

Why have it removed? Does it really add that much weight? At the very least it probably helps retail value when it comes to sell it.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Rabble posted:

Actually I always thought that it was considered "crucial" for cars being sold in the US.

Hell, my 2008 hairdresser mustang v6 doesn't have loving ABS and it still ships with cruise control. Ford sure had their priorities straight :P.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Brigdh posted:

It's pretty sweet when all your family lives at least 2 states away. Also invaluable for a 1.5 hour (one-way) commute. I could see why you might not use it, but weird to actively want it removed. I guess it craps up the steering wheel, that's fair.

I hate all the poo poo added to steering wheels, it gets in the way. The loaded Clubman we tried last year was undrivable with all the poo poo on it (including paddles). Why put all that on the wheel when there's a perfectly good dashboard in front of me? The S2000 is a good example of this. And the E30s, I love that button-riddled control panel.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Splizwarf posted:

It's pretty sweet when all your family lives at least 2 states away. Also invaluable for a 1.5 hour (one-way) commute. I could see why you might not use it, but weird to actively want it removed. I guess it craps up the steering wheel, that's fair.

I drive from Colorado to Wisconsin and back every once and a while to visit family. Still don't use cruse control. I understand why people might like it, but I don't, and I'd prefer not having a potential vacuum leak sitting in the engine bay for something I'll never use.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
poo poo, do they still run on vacuum? I mean, mine does but it's 23 years old.

I assumed modern engine management wizardry would've a led to a better solution by now.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

I've only seen vacuum based ones. Its old proven technology. The only alternative I could think of would be some kind of small motor, but that would probably be a constant multiamp draw on the electrical system (when cruse is in use). That would probably cause the alternator to cost more because the additional draw would require a beefier one.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
surely if the car is dbw its just some extra programming?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah, why not just use the ABS data? Cruise on a drive-by-wire system already has a small motor operating the throttle plate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yeah the cc will be all electronic. Vacuum my rear end :rolleyes:

I also don't like cruise control, but if i had it I simply wouldn't use it. I'd want everything else on the limited model apart from keyless entry.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Brigdh posted:

I've only seen vacuum based ones. Its old proven technology. The only alternative I could think of would be some kind of small motor, but that would probably be a constant multiamp draw on the electrical system (when cruse is in use). That would probably cause the alternator to cost more because the additional draw would require a beefier one.
The car already has a drive-by-wire throttle, and this kind of cruise control doesn't take any extra sensors or current or vacuum or weight. It's literally just some bits of code. You're just being super paranoid.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
the cruise on my 93 subaru was run with a motor or solenoid of some sort that actuated a second throttle cable. The BRZ and 04+ subarus with DBW just use that.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Lowclock posted:

The car already has a drive-by-wire throttle, and this kind of cruise control doesn't take any extra sensors or current or vacuum or weight. It's literally just some bits of code. You're just being super paranoid.

I forgot it had DBW. I have not messed with any car that does have DBW. Whether I go for cruse control or not would be down to aesthetics then.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Speaking of drive by wire has anyone heard any talk of how responsive it is in the 86? Alot of cars these days add some sort of delay when you let off the throttle that makes for super slow shifting unless you slip the clutch, anyone who drives the 06 and up civic si knows what I mean :mad:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Given this is a car for car nerds I'd be really surprised to see anything lovely like that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Cham King posted:

Speaking of drive by wire has anyone heard any talk of how responsive it is in the 86? Alot of cars these days add some sort of delay when you let off the throttle that makes for super slow shifting unless you slip the clutch, anyone who drives the 06 and up civic si knows what I mean :mad:

Don't newer Civics also have a clutch delay valve? That poo poo is way worse than DBW.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

revmoo posted:

Don't newer Civics also have a clutch delay valve? That poo poo is way worse than DBW.

He's talking about the "rev-hang" that got programmed into some manual cars for emissions reasons. Basically, when you let of the throttle to shift, the computer would hold the throttle open a little bit to prevent unburnt fuel or some-such. It was extremely annoying because it made it really hard to drive smoothly. Only a few cars that I know of suffer from this, the Civic Si and the GC are the two the come to mind.

quote:

Speaking of drive by wire has anyone heard any talk of how responsive it is in the 86? Alot of cars these days add some sort of delay when you let off the throttle that makes for super slow shifting unless you slip the clutch, anyone who drives the 06 and up civic si knows what I mean

I'd venture to say that, even if it is an issue, Subaru ECUs are so simple to tune and reflash that there will likely be a free, downloadable ECU reflash fix within months of release. All you would need is a laptop and a tatrix cable to do the reflash yourself. The open source tuning community is really big for Subaru/Mitsu; despite being practically non-existent for other manufactures.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!
Oh god lift-off delay and clutch delay are the worst things that happened to cars. With the 996 I actually tied down the button that told the car the clutch was in. Of course, if I put the clutch in with cruise control on the engine would race to infinity, but at least I could actually heel-toe downshift properly.

I'm actually getting mad thinking about this. If I could replace the DBW with a cable in my car I would do it in a hot second.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I don't recall Chris Harris complaining about it (throttle response) in his review, so if he doesn't mind, I'm sure I would never notice.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, Monkey Harris owns a GT3 RS 4.0 and as such would probably know from throttle response and yet he's rather excited sounding about this car despite it being 1/7th what his 4.0 costs. I'm pretty confident there's not going to be any throttle delays or other FBW hiccups that interfere with the driving pleasure of these cars.

And John Simister is another one of the better reveiewers at EVO.
http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276016/driven_toyota_gt_86.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/road-tests/toyota-gt-86-6284861.html

Independent article posted:

I am pleased to report that all of the promise is fulfilled, and more. The engine is a keen, fizzy thing, its note a mix of rasp and throb, its response instant and wonderfully easy to meter. This, plus crisp, sensitive, natural-feeling steering – it's electrically assisted, amazingly, and surely the best yet of its type – fills the driver with the intoxicating confidence of being fully, entirely in control, even on a damp, slippery test track. More power in a corner brings on a gentle drift, helped by the limited-slip differential; this car does exactly what you want it to, in a way many recently qualified drivers will probably never have experienced before now.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/276025/driven_subaru_brz.html

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

oRenj9 posted:

I'd venture to say that, even if it is an issue, Subaru ECUs are so simple to tune and reflash that there will likely be a free, downloadable ECU reflash fix within months of release. All you would need is a laptop and a tatrix cable to do the reflash yourself. The open source tuning community is really big for Subaru/Mitsu; despite being practically non-existent for other manufactures.

I've been slowly playing with my 06 WRX using this stuff and it is amazingly good considering how much of it is just fan developed. It is amazing having 70% of the functionality of a Motec or Autronic sitting in your own car waiting to be played with.

I've heard "Open ECU" touted around the forums a lot for this car, anybody know if its simply the unprotected subie ECU or if it's actually facilitated for tuning even more?

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

oRenj9 posted:

Only a few cars that I know of suffer from this, the Civic Si and the GC are the two the come to mind.

Ha yeah the genesis 2.0t was the other car that was on my mind with that post it was actually worse that the civic too, I figured if 2 sporty cars had the issue it was pretty widespread but it sound like there no issue with the 86.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ecstatic posted:

I've heard "Open ECU" touted around the forums a lot for this car, anybody know if its simply the unprotected subie ECU or if it's actually facilitated for tuning even more?
I've not heard of it, but I'd be surprised if it's fully open. RomRaider still has a lot of mystery tables including warm-up enrichment and I think a lot of stuff related to cruise.

OpenECU seems to be the project behind the Tactrix OBD2 cable and software and not necessarily related to the tuning software (RomRaider).

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010
Sorry when I said "Open ECU" I meant as in unlocked.

Yeh Open ECU is a program is the thing that lets you download your current map and reflash your changed maps. For the known cars (most WRX's STI's and a few Forrester's and Liberty's) there aren't any mystery tables left, although some are pretty poorly defined/explained.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Toyota ECUs are typically locked down tighter than a bank vault so this is one area in glad Subaru seems to have taken care of. It was mentioned somewhere from an "official" source that given the enthusiast interest in this car the ECU would be fairly open but i would imagine this just refers to OBD-type info and not actual maps or settings or anything

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

ROFLBOT posted:

Toyota ECUs are typically locked down tighter than a bank vault so this is one area in glad Subaru seems to have taken care of. It was mentioned somewhere from an "official" source that given the enthusiast interest in this car the ECU would be fairly open but i would imagine this just refers to OBD-type info and not actual maps or settings or anything
According to the Subaru guy at the chicago auto show, the only thing Toyota engineered in the power train was the direct injection system. Everything else was Subaru. Hopefully that means the ECU too...

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Casualty posted:

According to the Subaru guy at the chicago auto show, the only thing Toyota engineered in the power train was the direct injection system. Everything else was Subaru. Hopefully that means the ECU too...

What about the Toyota tranny?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I'm on my phone at the moment but I posted a news article a few pages back that said the ecu will have connectivity to smartphones for data logging and access to a whole heap of telemetry features via other means. So I can only assume eventually they will have tuning functionality readily available.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

ROFLBOT posted:

They said the same thing about the R35 ecu... look how that turned out.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Brigdh posted:

What about the Toyota tranny?

I thought they were both Aisen units.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

Laserface posted:

I'm on my phone at the moment but I posted a news article a few pages back that said the ecu will have connectivity to smartphones for data logging and access to a whole heap of telemetry features via other means. So I can only assume eventually they will have tuning functionality readily available.

OBD2 already does this. It's read-only by design as far as I know. I have a ScanGauge which will give me all kinds of telemetry. I've never actually looked how ecu real time programming works but I assumed it used a different interface or a complete reprogramming (hack) of what can be done through the OBD2 port. What they're offering seems to be just connectivity, which yeah, is kinda neat.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

D C posted:

They said the same thing about the R35 ecu... look how that turned out.

I dont think Nissan ever said the R35 ECU would be completely unlocked from the factory for tuning purposes. In fact i dont think any manufacturer would do that, it just opens up a can of worms regarding emissions and safety compliance or when warranty claims are made because of a bad tune or whatever.

It stands to reason that any ECU security however basic (eg Subaru, Mitsubishi), gives them an out from any legal liability ("we've done our bit to prevent tampering"), its just that Toyota uses ECU designs that make them impossible to modify. You cant remap or change them at all.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 25, 2012

Ecstatic
Sep 30, 2010

darknrgy posted:

OBD2 already does this. It's read-only by design as far as I know. I have a ScanGauge which will give me all kinds of telemetry. I've never actually looked how ecu real time programming works but I assumed it used a different interface or a complete reprogramming (hack) of what can be done through the OBD2 port. What they're offering seems to be just connectivity, which yeah, is kinda neat.

The Subie turning is all done by OB2, it's not "live" per say, you log via OB2, make changes to the map on a laptop and then reflash your ECU. It isn't perfect but it's about as good as you can ever expect an OEM ecu to be.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don't what I've seen of the F-RS center stack:

I like what I've seen of the BRZ stack better. I think this might only be in the Limited trim:

Is Scion going to have an option that will include this improved center stack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I haven't heard that the Scion version would get automatic climate control, so no.

The "Premium" BRZ will have a similar setup to the Scion, only the "Limited" has auto climate.

• Locked thread