Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I wanted to like The Last Remnant so badly but the inability to actually choose what character does what got me completely stuck at one boss fight in the 360 version and I had to quit. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN
I have no idea why, but The Last Remnant is one of my favorite games. I think I've put near 80 hours into it, and still find it quite fun. Actually, just reading this makes me want to reinstall it...

Anyway, a few things. First off, quests will expire if you don't finish them before set points in the storyline. So you pretty much want to finish any quests you get before progressing too far. There are three I can remember offhand, [slight location name spoilers]Nest of Eagles, the sewers in Nagapur, and Underwalt. Don't go into any of these areas without finishing all the quests you have available.

Explore everywhere. If you follow the storyline start to finish, you will go into only about 25% of the areas in the game. You'll completely miss dungeons, quests, party members, and even entire cities. So you might want to fully explore a zone before you leave it, just leaving from a different exit can unlock new places.

This is kind of a cheat, but it has downsides that I think make it fair. [spoilers just in case]This is exclusive to the PC version, and I think that it makes the game so much better. If you go into the ini files, there's a remnant of something I think the devs couldn't quite finish when porting the game. I can't remember the exact value, but there's an option to allow you to control your entire party's equipment, not just Rush's. Don't like Blocter's tiny little axe? With this, you can change it to one of the craftable giant axes and watch him lay waste around.

However, there are problems. First off, you still have to make the actual item. And you don't get the multiple affect that you normally get when your underlings do their own upgrades. So you end up using more materials and money. Second problem is that the feature was obviously abandoned. If you equip an item like this, the AI doesn't recognize it. So, say you give Blocter that big axe. He'll still continue on the weapon path and when he has enough materials he'll upgrade his original weapon, and will overwrite what you had equipped. You you need to be really careful that your kickass weapons don't get upgraded into crummy ones.

Hope you enjoy the game, not many people do!

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

MotU posted:

Could you give me some suggestions about how to be proactive about it?

If I knew more about the game I would. It was one of the really frustrating things for me. I happened to turn several of my characters into item-healing classes when I wanted them to go down a different tree. It actually caused me to stop playing and I haven't had a chance to get back to trying again.

Basically check out the wikia that's out there and look at the class change mechanics and what is required for each class.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
That is because you looked at the Wiki and wanted to control your classes without fully understanding the system. You're really not supposed to do this if you are casually playing the game. Were you playing a dual wield Rush who was using items out of curiosity? Usually the next natural step after Scout is Guardian or Assassin, but it depends on what weapon style you went with and dual wield is one of those sets that will really lock you into Scout (assassin is one-hand+sword and Guardian is a couple of reqs, but both are item greater and people typically disable item gains after falling into Scout thinking that is the proper way to control it when it isn't).

You typically play LR one of two ways: you either play it just to play it, or you play it to break it. If you play it the latter, you really need to understand a lot of mechanics and that means BR, Union Flags/Emblems, Item Paths, Classes, the entire character list, how to grind properly, etc. A plethora of spoilers in other words. The PC version actually ends up harder than the 360 version (they buff quite a few enemies) but it's quite a bit more flexible to play thanks to the changes.

As for classes:

Planning for classes is definitely taking a step into the min-max school of thought - you will need the Wiki and you will need to know what characters have access to what weapons.

However if you just want to play casually without micro-managing, then generally just disable skills that you are not interested in progressing and stick to skill trees you like and the game will take care of your class. There are classes for all sorts of ratios (combat/item hybrids, pure combat, combat/mystic hybrids, etc). You can actually ignore everything about classes and be fine on a play through.

The thing you need to realize is that some playstyles will settle into classes very early in the game and stay that way. It's not really unusual to play the entire game with Rush in a tier-4 class. It's not even a bad thing, just some wasted potential. If you want to tap more potential though, you need to read ahead and begin breaking the game. If that appeals to you - great! LR is definitely the game for you.

I actually disagree with some of Stelas' advice but honestly it's mostly a playstyle preference. You can play this game so many different ways (especially union formation - don't be afraid to try various unions of varying sizes!) that it's fairly rewarding to just find what works for you. Honestly if you ever really get into the game you will probably look back on your first play-through and think "what a catastrophe" but you will still have finished the game anyway (assuming normal mode).

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 23, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

MotU posted:

Could you give me some suggestions about how to be proactive about it? I tried looking at wikis and stuff but it throws so much information at you and terminology I have no idea what it means.

First thing is to disable any skill trees you don't want a character to learn. So if you don't want a character learning healing herbs, turn off those skills.

Second thing is to stick them in a union where they are more likely to use what you want them to. So make unions that are basically All Physical, or All Offensive Magic.

Keep in mind that it's really easy to get characters into the Scout class, which is Physical Arts + Herbs. You'll probably end up with a lot of these guys. This is not a bad thing. The Scout class causes you to get healing commands way more frequently, which means it will be way easier to keep people healed up and you will have far less situations where you want to heal but none of your unions feel like it.

quote:

Cons:
Johnny Yong Bosch

Japanese voice set.

MotU posted:

I am mostly worried that if I get to too high a level I won't be able to effectively use Cool Dudes I get later on in the game. If I just play normally and do the sidequests as they appear, I won't mess up future additions to my force, will I?

Each character has its own personal BR, so even if you get someone and they are underpowered, they will level up faster than normal until they get up to speed. I think characters scale up relative to your BR anyway so it's not really worth worrying about.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone recommend some RPGs with a lot of crazy visuals? Stuff like Earthbound, Mother 3, most of the Shin Megami Tensei or Final Fantasies, etc.

Just in the mood for a game like that, and I tried out Legend of Mana, which came close to what I'm looking for graphically, but bored the hell out of me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm looking for a decent iPhone RPG, preferably a first person dungeon crawler (like Wizardry) but anything that's fun to pick up and play idly. Any suggestions?

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

Levantine posted:

I'm looking for a decent iPhone RPG, preferably a first person dungeon crawler (like Wizardry) but anything that's fun to pick up and play idly. Any suggestions?

Have you tried the Doom RPG? That's a fun little game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twitch posted:

Can anyone recommend some RPGs with a lot of crazy visuals? Stuff like Earthbound, Mother 3, most of the Shin Megami Tensei or Final Fantasies, etc.

Just in the mood for a game like that, and I tried out Legend of Mana, which came close to what I'm looking for graphically, but bored the hell out of me.

Give Lost Odyssey a try, or Baten Kaitos.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Each character has its own personal BR, so even if you get someone and they are underpowered, they will level up faster than normal until they get up to speed. I think characters scale up relative to your BR anyway so it's not really worth worrying about.
Your overall BR has a much bigger impact for stat gains since it controls the overall EXP multiplier. Low BR games still have a place if you are breaking the game, but it's not important for normal play unless you choose to massively grind early in the game. If you ever do want to grind during the game, go with long hard battles that end up with a lot of deaths on your side.

By the way if you want a magic number BR to avoid, don't go into the second half of the game with a BR of 100+ (this is a ludicrously difficult number to hit even if you do every single available side quest).

There is one edge case where you might feel punished by cavalier handling of BR and it involves an optional recruitment late in the game. Don't worry about this because this optional stuff brings something else to the table to account for the fact that they may end up with lower stats than the rest of your party (although opinions may differ on certain aspects of this).

As a random aside when I mention you can finish the game without worrying about the nitty-gritty, I also include all optional content (they don't scale anyway).

Actually one thing I will caution against is that when you start unlocking special abilities that wipe out the field in one hit, try not to lean on these all the time because you will be taking away training time from other characters. Probably kind of obvious but I thought I'd mention it for completion.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Twitch posted:

Final Fantasies? I never thought they had crazy visuals. Maybe try Radiant Historia on the DS a try? I'm not sure what it is that you're exactly looking for.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Twitch posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur looks quite nice, though whether or not it is 'crazy' is something I'm not sure about.

Bastion, perhaps. Looks (and sounds) gorgeous.

Must it be an RPG? El-Shaddai would otherwise be perfect.

I think you need to define your parameter a little more.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Black Stones posted:

Final Fantasies? I never thought they had crazy visuals. Maybe try Radiant Historia on the DS a try? I'm not sure what it is that you're exactly looking for.

I should have specified later Final Fantasies like X and XIII, where there is a clear focus on borderline-nonsense eye candy. I'm looking for stuff with intense and/or surreal visuals, basically the opposite of brown corridor shooters.

Morpheus posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur looks quite nice, though whether or not it is 'crazy' is something I'm not sure about.

Bastion, perhaps. Looks (and sounds) gorgeous.

Must it be an RPG? El-Shaddai would otherwise be perfect.

I think you need to define your parameter a little more.

Sorry, "visually intense and brightly colored" is probably a better description.

I'm interested in Kingdoms of Amalur, but from everything I've heard about it, it sounds like a game worth waiting for a Steam Sale.

Played Bastion already, but that would definitely qualify.

I only played a little bit of the demo of El-Shaddai, and while I'm specifically looking for RPGs, that is otherwise exactly the kind of game I'm looking for.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Eternal Sonata.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Twitch posted:

I should have specified later Final Fantasies like X and XIII, where there is a clear focus on borderline-nonsense eye candy. I'm looking for stuff with intense and/or surreal visuals, basically the opposite of brown corridor shooters.

Sorry, "visually intense and brightly colored" is probably a better description.

I'm interested in Kingdoms of Amalur, but from everything I've heard about it, it sounds like a game worth waiting for a Steam Sale.

Played Bastion already, but that would definitely qualify.

I only played a little bit of the demo of El-Shaddai, and while I'm specifically looking for RPGs, that is otherwise exactly the kind of game I'm looking for.

For the record, I'm enjoying the poo poo out of Amalur. Huge world, varied combat, tons of stuff to do (a well-sorted quest list, too), a variety of viable builds, pretty graphics, and a good crafting system to boot. Some goofy voice acting though and a mostly forgettable main plot, though this is mostly by the virtue of the fact that it takes up approximately 5% of the game.

Edit: Oh, Eternal Sonata is great choice if you want bright visuals.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Morpheus posted:

Edit: Oh, Eternal Sonata is great choice if you want bright visuals.

Addendum: And if you want to hate yourself so much for playing it that put your loving head through a wall due to anime.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Just ignore the completely nonsensical plot and you'll be fine.

That said, just throwing out random JRPG suggestions here, but Tales of Vesperia is a really good and fun game with a bright, clean and colorful visual style. To add to that, next month, Tales of Graces F (PS3) comes out in America, which also looks quite nice for essentially just being a Wii game.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 23, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Yeah Eternal Sonata is an alright game, if you think you can stand to listen to Chopin and his anime friends wax philosophic about nothing for 20 or so straight hours.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

God drat it, now I'm reinstalling Last Remnant. Again. And already sifting through character lists to come up with the ~perfect team~. Someone LP it so I can guest and avoid actively playing it for another hundred hours. While we're at it someone LP Unlimited Saga so I can be a gigantic :spergin: over the mechanics.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It doesn't even get that anime-philosophical until like the 3rd act, I remember being really impressed with how mundane the first 2 parts were. When the game is all about a tariff dispute with the baron of Animeland or whatever.

Battle system in Eternal Sonata owns though, one of tri-*'s finest.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Eternal Sonata should have been so much better than it was. Seriously, a fantasy RPG based on Chopin's dying dreams is an incredibly unique premise, and I have no idea how the writers could somehow be so bad and yet come up with an interesting premise. Everything about the writing was so, so bad.

I still enjoyed it, it's pretty as all hell and has a decent battle system, but still.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Stelas posted:

While we're at it someone LP Unlimited Saga so I can be a gigantic :spergin: over the mechanics.

I kinda wanna do it, since I enjoyed the game for a while, but... I've never beaten it. I get how it all works and I'm still bad at it :negative:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

It doesn't even get that anime-philosophical until like the 3rd act

It doesn't, but that doesn't stop absolutely every single line in the script from being 1,000 words too long. The game vomits words like I vomited alcohol that time I had half a bottle of Jack and a six pack of Sierra Nevadas and a quarter bottle of Jager and a few shots of that disgusting chestnut liqueur and some brandy. Possibly some other stuff but I probably don't remember. I don't want to remember, I mean that was some baaaaaaaaad fuckin' liqueur.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 24, 2012

Wendell
May 11, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Battle system in Eternal Sonata owns though, one of tri-*'s finest.

Absolutely not. It's the same fight repeated over and over. Every area has one or two monster party setups that require one of two strategies "run forward and hit attack until you can't anymore" or "run forward and slightly up because the monster isn't in a straight line from you, then hit attack until you can't anymore."

Of course repetitiveness in an RPG battle system is not new, but this game really drags it out.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 24, 2012

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Stelas posted:

God drat it, now I'm reinstalling Last Remnant. Again. And already sifting through character lists to come up with the ~perfect team~. Someone LP it so I can guest and avoid actively playing it for another hundred hours. While we're at it someone LP Unlimited Saga so I can be a gigantic :spergin: over the mechanics.
Yeah, genuinely surprised someone hasn't LP'ed Last Remnant yet since it's been on Steam for who knows how long and it's a JRPG of sorts.

But then I look back and there's hardly any Romancing Saga LPs either so I guess it's no surprise. Probably a bit too niche.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Stelas posted:

While we're at it someone LP Unlimited Saga so I can be a gigantic :spergin: over the mechanics.
I love this game, but the loving reel ruins it for me, I can never hit anything.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Rascyc posted:

But then I look back and there's hardly any Romancing Saga LPs either so I guess it's no surprise. Probably a bit too niche.

I've considered doing Romasaga 2 but, well, :effort:

Double so as (unless there's been a patch I don't know aobut) I'd be doing doubly duty translating the bugger and sperging out about mechanics and how to abuse them. (And probably in the end the only people who'd care is people who already know it in depth anyway.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, genuinely surprised someone hasn't LP'ed Last Remnant yet since it's been on Steam for who knows how long and it's a JRPG of sorts.

Oh, there have been of the SaGa games. It's just that some of them are so overwhelmingly extensive that the players either run out of steam before they're able to show off everything they want to show off, such as each character's individual story arcs and the bonus room if you finish all eight characters. I swear there was a Minstrel Song LP where they finished Albert, got a couple updates into Aisha, then said "gently caress this noise" and disappeared.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I stopped playing FFX a few months ago and the last thing I remember was fighting a flying dragon on the airship and then getting to some big famous field of battle or something like that. Was I close to finishing the story?

Also I just started FFXII last night. It doesn't matter that I hosed off at FFX does it?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nah Final Fantasies have no real plot connection unless they have the same roman number with an addendum like Final Fantasy X-2 or Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. If the roman numeral is different they have no connection. Hell X and XII are probably the most different two games in the series not counting the MMOs.

Also you were about 3/4 of the way through the plot of FFX and about 2/3 way through all the content (a ton of optional stuff would have opened up a few hours down the line from where you were).

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Twitch posted:

Soma Bringer on the DS is beautiful. You'll need the translation though, but still, beautiful game.

Also, its a very bare bones RPG, but Nier has some great visuals, along with some of the best music I've heard in a game in awhile.
Valkyria Chronicles isn't trippy artsy, but very well done graphically. I love cel-shading though so that might just be me.

casual poster fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 24, 2012

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

thark posted:

I've considered doing Romasaga 2 but, well, :effort:

Double so as (unless there's been a patch I don't know aobut) I'd be doing doubly duty translating the bugger and sperging out about mechanics and how to abuse them. (And probably in the end the only people who'd care is people who already know it in depth anyway.)

It's another one of those projects Aeon Genesis has been doing fuckall with since forever in favor of lovely poo poo like some high school RPG or other. :smith:

On another note, why is there mention of bad writing in Eternal Sonata without that loving ending? Mother of God that ending is the longest piece of poo poo ever.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

UselessLurker posted:

It's another one of those projects Aeon Genesis has been doing fuckall with since forever in favor of lovely poo poo like some high school RPG or other. :smith:

Shame. It's probably my favorite RPG on the SNES. (I could see arguments for 3 as well but personally favor 2.)

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

How is Lost Odyssey? There's a used copy at the local game place, and I've read the reviews, but I've never talked to anybody that's played it. If it makes a difference, I'm really pretty happy with traditional turn-based JRPGs.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

How is Lost Odyssey? There's a used copy at the local game place, and I've read the reviews, but I've never talked to anybody that's played it. If it makes a difference, I'm really pretty happy with traditional turn-based JRPGs.

Then you'd love it, its a very well made traditional JRPG. Combat is old style turn based combat, but with enough twists that it's both fairly strategic and fun. The game is fairly interesting plotwise, with likeable characters (one in particular comes to mind, although there are two annoying exceptions). The Thousand Years of Dreams are also incredibly well done, and pretty much worth the price of admission. Soundtrack is excellent.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Lost Odyssey is like a lost Final Fantasy game, which is unsurprising given its pedigree. Imagine a cross between FF4 and FF10 and you're about halfway there. In gameplay it's about as standard as it gets: turn-based and menu-driven with a few modest twists. Its unique mechanics are novel and thematically appropriate, and while they're interesting enough they're not really earth-shattering. The story is mostly like a 16-bit RPG with surprisingly good voice acting: not exactly Shakespeare, but mature (if the main character weren't umpty-thousand years old, you'd put him in his late 30s) and notably free of anime bullshit. More importantly, it's punctuated with written (very) short stories detailing incidents that the main character experienced in the distant past and forgot about, and those are really fantastic.

It's put together solidly enough that the most common complaints are about implementation details: it's got some pretty nasty loading times (though I suppose if you install it that will be mitigated), the middle of the story has too much focus on the most annoying characters, party balance is sometimes pretty iffy, there's a lot of points of no return, and the gameplay takes a long while to open up. It starts out really strong, but I kind of get the impression they didn't have the budget to do everything as lavishly as they would have liked.

Some people I know would call it the game they wanted FFXIII to be. I wouldn't know, as I followed their advice and skipped FFXIII.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MockingQuantum posted:

If you don't mind the combat system (I PREFER the old style point-and-click-your-choice-with-no-temporal-tension-at-all myself), honestly? It's pretty much the third best game I've ever played. Ever. Seriously. Right after FF9 and Mother 3. loving fantastic.

Also yes loading it to your HD is good for the load times. The music is actually supposed to be synced to the longer load time, but I've never played it without the data pre-loaded so I couldn't tell you for sure about that specifically.

Don't play it in English. Whatever you do, do not play it in English. Kaim's VA sucks, and Cooke and Mack's VAs are your bog standard "annoying children" voices and they're much more subdued in other languages.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 24, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rasamune posted:

I kinda wanna do it, since I enjoyed the game for a while, but... I've never beaten it. I get how it all works and I'm still bad at it :negative:

To be fair, even with knowing how it all works I've only beaten 2, maybe 3 of the stories. It's really tough either way and perfectly possible to get yourself into an unwinnable situation.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

:monocle: Apparently Langrisser IV for PSX has been fully translated to English for almost a year. I just found out about it thanks to a belated news posting on romhacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRKBs-lze8&hd=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

The White Dragon posted:

If you don't mind the combat system (I PREFER the old style point-and-click-your-choice-with-no-temporal-tension-at-all myself), honestly? It's pretty much the third best game I've ever played. Ever. Seriously. Right after FF9 and Mother 3. loving fantastic.

Also yes loading it to your HD is good for the load times. The music is actually supposed to be synced to the longer load time, but I've never played it without the data pre-loaded so I couldn't tell you for sure about that specifically.

Don't play it in English. Whatever you do, do not play it in English. Kaim's VA sucks, and Cooke and Mack's VAs are your bog standard "annoying children" voices and they're much more subdued in other languages.

Kaim's VA wasn't too bad, just a little unspirited, and if you avoid the English dub you miss out on Jansen's VA who does a great job of playing a sleazy drunken wizard