Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Spaceman Future! posted:

Wow this post made nostalgia hit me like a sledgehammer. I never got any of the big sets (except the spyrius robot :neckbeard:) but I always got the micro sets. I'm sure I have all these bits still, I should throw this together tonight. Maybe I'll put my aquanauts sub back together while I'm at it.

I look back on all the tiny sets I had as a kid, and they seem more fun and exciting than today's small sets. Part of that is nostalgia, and not being a kid now, but I swear there are so few good small sets these days. The Raid VPR is the only cool small Space set I can remember from the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

rickiep00h posted:

The most recent one I can find is 1999: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/6061

I have one from my Saucer Centurion (comes with two in red), but I had to jerry-rig a second because I seem to have lost it.

That's one of my favourite old bricks, I have 4 from the Galactic Mediator, helped me do great things with MOCs as child before I even knew what a MOC or SNOT was.

Edit: I forgot that set also includes a bunch of the inverted version of that brick http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2434

beato fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 23, 2012

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Those bricks, especially the opposite of that one that has studs on the sides, are really useful. I use them for the core of SNOT built things because they grip really well and can take a lot of weight on either side.

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
The Stack Exchange network of question and answer sites has a Lego site.
http://bricks.stackexchange.com. Looks like a good resource.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010
I just found out that my school has a Lego class next quarter, and I just signed up for it because I needed the extra credit hours.

quote:

Freshman Seminar: The Art and Science of LEGO bricks

Description: If you thought Lego was simply a children's toy, think again. This course will provide a comprehensive look into the many facets of the Lego brick including art, science, engineering, business, and of course fun. The course will cover the history of Lego and place it in context, provide a behind the scenes look into the complex process of designing a Lego set, examine the medium as a fine art form, present computer design tools for building your own models, building techniques, and of course, building, building, building with real bricks. The course will consist of 1 hr of lecture and 1 hr of lab (hands on building) most weeks. It will also include a fieldtrip to the Toy and Plastic Brick Museum in Bellair Ohio to view one of the largest privately held collections of Lego works.
I think I'm going to enjoy next quarter.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Just picked up all 16 KRE-O Transformers minifigs, and I am in love. They're a bit different from their Lego counterparts; they have quite a selection of custom accessories (cannons that attach to the arms for the Seekers and little tires you plug into Optimus's legs, etc.) and the arms and legs are all on individual ball joints. They even rotate at the hips. Because of all this they do feel a bit flimsier than Lego figs and are a bit harder to get to stand up, but I'm ok with that because they're more for display purposes and I doubt I'll be reenacting too many Cybertronian battles at my age.

I'll try to get some pics up this weekend if there's any interest.

Red posted:

I thought I'd share the instructions to a small classic Space Police set.

Before I realized this whole image was flipped I thought "Space Police" was written in reverse so that space offenders could read it in their space rear view mirrors :(

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I just found out that my school has a Lego class next quarter, and I just signed up for it because I needed the extra credit hours.

I think I'm going to enjoy next quarter.

Which University do you go to?

I went in to work today to find out we are housing a 1:1 replica of the Mars Curiosity Rover.

I don't think I ever wanted a bin of Technic pieces more in my life.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Cool! I'd recommend minoring in Nintendo 3DS Studies if LEGO is going to be your major too. Last year had some great courses like "MEGA-Bloks: Hate is Sometimes Okay" and "Womens Lego Studies: HAHAHAH! No Seriously, LEGO Is Trying", but I hear those are getting phased out this year.

Schizo
Sep 9, 2001

Oh shit, Robotech lawyers!
I just finished up the new Millenium Falcon and oy... I was not expecting it to be this huge. I don't have a safe shelf I can keep it on. :( It's still awesome though, and I finally have a Han/Chewie now. :D

Also, I ended up with some extra "normal" pieces that seemed a bit odd. A 1x4 light gray plate, 1x2 black brick, four 1x1 light tan round plates... there's always one or two of the little pieces included as extras in every set but these really stuck out. They were all from the #4 bags, but when I went through that section's instructions, I couldn't find where they belonged.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
The latest Millennium Falcon gets a pass, but the next SW set to feature a Han Solo minifig drat well better equip him with one of these

instead of the full sized Imperial blaster rifle.
No excuse since they made the new mold.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

I doubt I'll ever make proper instructions for it, but I will post some exploded pictures soon. The body is built around a core of these on a single technic axle, so it's actually fairly simple. Two sets of those, one turned upside down allow for a six-sided shape, and that's all it is.

I'm too inexperienced with MOCs to even know where to begin with that, but I am looking forward to those exploded pictures. Thanks!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rare Collectable posted:

Speaking of Lego games I was just looking at the official website when I noticed this AR IOS game at the bottom of the page called The Life of George. I was surprised I'd never heard of it before because it looks pretty neat. Does anyone have any experience with this?

http://george.lego.com/en-us/default.aspx?icmp=COUSFR34George

I don't have an ipad so I wont be playing it any time soon but it looks interesting.
It works with iPhones and iPods Touch, as well.

...But I got it, and I don't think it's really worth it. It just shows a flat Lego design which you then build for time and accuracy.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Endless Mike posted:

It works with iPhones and iPods Touch, as well.

...But I got it, and I don't think it's really worth it. It just shows a flat Lego design which you then build for time and accuracy.

It'd be really cool if it was like Scribblenauts, and it came with a booklet of say 150 designs and you had to build them then take a photo to use the item in the level to solve a puzzle

Lord Ryan
Nov 10, 2011
My first couple attempts at MOC

Based on the MBA set 1

Made from random pieces bought in ebay lots.

Picked up the v-wing yesterday at Target for $15.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Lord Ryan posted:

My first couple attempts at MOC

Based on the MBA set 1

:stare:

That thing is amazing.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
This made the rounds at work today, I'm surprised I didn't see it in the thread already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXL3Ys5e3Z0

The intro to the AIAS 2012 awards, a montage of video game scenes and characters rendered in Lego.

(Warning: They do use MegaBloks when the franchise has its own MegaBloks)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you're talking about the Halo stuff, I think that's 100% Legos and custom stuff. No Megabloks. Halo minifigs are a different scale than Lego, too, I believe.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
Yeah, it's definitely Brickforge's Halo stuff.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I am totally loving stymied; the instructions for the bonus model from 7292 are nowhere to be found. The one on the second to last page of this http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/Creator2BuildingInstructions/otherfiles/downloadAAE753113A1DFB5746C38A7476A35444.pdf

What's worse is that two of the six reviews on the site ask for the directions as well, since having a Lego ID isn't enough. :(

What's worse is that if the propeller axles were just a bit longer, I'd have figured it all out from those screencaps alone.

Tanith fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 24, 2012

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
Is it bad that I've only been buying mini sets and I've already run out of shelf space?

FauxR34L
Feb 27, 2005
Serious Business

SynthOrange posted:

That is really sweet. Also how's that helicopter build?

A lot different to the the first one i built. I only really bought it for the curved pieces and the rotor blades to use on the space police ship.

Shuppiluliumas posted:

That absolutely owns.

e: also, more pictures please. Is there an interior?
I'll get more pics on the weekend. The ship holds a crew of 7 with a cockpit and command and control type area on the upper deck, a lower deck that isn't complete yet and a dock at the back.

I've also done a carriage for it to land on and be pulled around by a tug.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lord Ryan posted:

Picked up the v-wing yesterday at Target for $15.

glad I held out, it's £22 ($35ish I think) at Asda or Toys R Us and I felt as cool as it looks it was fairly uncomplicated with several large parts. Hopefully I'll see it cheeper. For some reason I want all the Imperial figures I can get.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Welp, spent 6 hours last night building the VW Camper, and I have to absolutely congratulate Lego on what they've made here. It's utterly fantastic. The look of it, the size, the amount of detail. It's all so satisfying. My last big build was the Fire Brigade, but this was so much more fun. I keep opening the doors and looking inside at the living area, it's adorable. :3:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Thanks to Gravy Jones' nifty app, I bought the Hoth Wampa Cave which arrived yesterday. I like it a lot. I think the snowspeeder is a much better build than the ages-old one, although I'm not sure the scale is quite right still and I'd like to put some studs into the seating so that the pilots don't rattle around so much.

The Wampa minifig is really kinda cute. Poor guy getting his arm cut off :(

Edit: I also guess I'm a bit annoyed that it has the Speeder and pilot who finds Luke and Han, but no Han! :colbert:

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 24, 2012

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

The_Doctor posted:

Welp, spent 6 hours last night building the VW Camper, and I have to absolutely congratulate Lego on what they've made here. It's utterly fantastic. The look of it, the size, the amount of detail. It's all so satisfying. My last big build was the Fire Brigade, but this was so much more fun. I keep opening the doors and looking inside at the living area, it's adorable. :3:

I've said before, but if you like interesting build with no repetition then this is the set to get. Much better than any of the modulars

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ineptmule posted:

Thanks to Gravy Jones' nifty app, I bought the Hoth Wampa Cave which arrived yesterday. I like it a lot. I think the snowspeeder is a much better build than the ages-old one, although I'm not sure the scale is quite right still and I'd like to put some studs into the seating so that the pilots don't rattle around so much.

I need to stop buying Lego. My desk at work resembles an Amazon distribution warehouse and I don't have room at home for it all. I've got that Power Boat and Trailer, Pharaoh's Quest Sphinx, some Atlantis thing and some Cars thing... I guess I better take one of them home at some point.

Speaking of that thing, a couple more reports (all by theme and price per brick) have been added and also filtering by theme. I haven't have time to write up the latter yet, but if you only want to Star Wars sets: http://www.legoogel.com/raw/TSW or if you want City and Creator: http://www.legoogel.com/raw/TCITCR. Should be able to figure it out from there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gravy Jones posted:

some Cars thing

Are any of those sets worthwhile, or they all Duplo or large molded pieces which only look good with Cars sets?

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Which University do you go to?

I went in to work today to find out we are housing a 1:1 replica of the Mars Curiosity Rover.

I don't think I ever wanted a bin of Technic pieces more in my life.

I go to The Ohio State University.
In other news I realized I could buy star wars sets for around 25-50% of the normal price if I get it without minifigs on ebay. Bought a couple ships and I'm fairly happy, I think for saving around 200 dollars total I could do without a couple jedi.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Red posted:

Are any of those sets worthwhile, or they all Duplo or large molded pieces which only look good with Cars sets?

Well I have a four year old kid so that's a big part of it.

Some of them have some really nice colours and in terms of large molded pieces I don't think they're any worse than the average City set aimed at youngsters. Something like the basic Mater for instance:

I actually thought was a nice little build. No big molded pieces, the windscreen and the hood are obviously very set specific though. But they're no different in terms of size and style to the sort of stuff you'd find in any small set. Several printed pieces (no stickers) and quite a few nice little build techniques. 50+ pieces puts it on par with or actually more than the small City vehicles. This one is on special a lot and a pretty neat little set. Someone earlier was complaining about current small sets not being very good, I think this bucks the trend.

I think it varies set to set, but I've had no complaints with the two or three I've built so far. I think the bigger "play" sets probably have more custom parts. Possibly also the sleeker, sports card have molded a roof.

And while we're on the topic: http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65541 This guys large Cars MOCs are awesome.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 24, 2012

Mr. Kamikaze
Jul 30, 2005

This turtle doesn't stop spinning.

Red posted:

I have a whole fleet of these things from when I was a kid.

Gonna go dig them out and Voltron them together!

click to visit my metal detecting blog - updated 6/17/2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Decided to bite the bullet and take a trip to Toys R Us when they opened this morning and do some Series 6 fondling. Ended up with one Series 5(which I thought was a Gladiator, but turned out to be a Guy In Dino Suit, which I am A-OK with) and 25 Series 6, all for 65 dollars. I spent about an hour being one of about 3 people in the entire store, listening to a podcast while I felt for things that weren't Minotaurs, Bandits, Genies, Mechanics, Flamenco Dancers, and Skater Girls. All in all, aside from a mis-molested Genie and Grey Aliens(I thought they were a Roman and two Space Girls, respectively), I managed to correctly guess every single thing I picked! Fantastic.

Gonna use the Statues of Liberty and some of the Romans to either sell to recup the 65 I spent, or as trade fodder for minifigs I still don't have. Although it is really just so drat tempting to keep the Romans. They are so awesome and detailed, especially the shield, I can see why they command at least $10 each on Bricklink even while the series is still on shelves. Managed to feel out a Surgeon to give to my mom's boss, who's a brain surgeon. They ought to love that.

I would highly recommend going to your local Toys R Us before the 26th, when the BOGO 50% deal ends. There's no limit to how many you can purchase with this deal.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 24, 2012

vrunt
Jul 4, 2003

the great trollini

Tanith posted:

I am totally loving stymied; the instructions for the bonus model from 7292 are nowhere to be found. The one on the second to last page of this http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/Creator2BuildingInstructions/otherfiles/downloadAAE753113A1DFB5746C38A7476A35444.pdf

What's worse is that two of the six reviews on the site ask for the directions as well, since having a Lego ID isn't enough. :(

What's worse is that if the propeller axles were just a bit longer, I'd have figured it all out from those screencaps alone.

A code for the bonus model was in the latest LEGO Club magazine. They'll be online for everyone eventually, but right now Club members are getting exclusive access. The instructions aren't 100% clear on that.

Entering club code 'WINGS' on LEGOclub.com gets you this:
http://cache.lego.com/upload/contentTemplating/Club2ClubCodes/otherfiles/download7707C1810B726884F1AF90E7BAF2286D.pdf

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Captain Invictus posted:

LEGO figs

Keep the romans. Create a legion :hist101:

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazy Pigeon posted:

I go to The Ohio State University.
In other news I realized I could buy star wars sets for around 25-50% of the normal price if I get it without minifigs on ebay. Bought a couple ships and I'm fairly happy, I think for saving around 200 dollars total I could do without a couple jedi.

Sounds way better than the freshman seminars Ohio U. offered me way back when.

Might as well download Lego Digital Designer now so you can make nice MOCs once the course begins.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
My son broke his arm and after getting I cast I took him to TRU to look at lego, there was a buy one get one 50% off so he ended up with a little lego firefighter and Ninjago snake shrine.

THey also had piles of the Star Wars advent calendar on 'clearance' for $35, honestly I didn't think it was a particularly good price, but I kicked myself after I left the store when I realised that if I'd got the advent calendar I could have given him a new tiny Star Wars lego model every day until his cast was taken off.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Captain Invictus posted:

Series 6 mini-fig talk.

I bought two of these at Target the other day and I got two space girls instead of Romans :(

I think my failing was I was too focused on feeling for a helmet and spear, not a shield. D'oh.

I'm slowly starting to get back into Lego as I've been moving around a lot these past few years and now I'm just trying to find a big set that I can enjoy putting together and not feel like a chump for spending 60+ bucks on.

I did find a few of my older sets and re-assembled them. The Imperial Landing craft was pretty easy to reassemble, although I put some of those smooth flat tiles on the side doors (which I'm having a hard time understanding why Lego didn't do this to begin with). I'll take some pictures when I get home.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got lucky with the Roman because his spear was right on the edge of the package so I felt it right away (and double checked to make sure there were no fishing poles in s6).

Of all things about the Space Girl figure, I think it's pretty cool that they made her lips silver instead of the standard red.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Of all things about the Space Girl figure, I think it's pretty cool that they made her lips silver instead of the standard red.

Silver is standard issue; red doesn't reflect cosmic rays yo.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

illectro posted:

My son broke his arm and after getting I cast I took him to TRU to look at lego, there was a buy one get one 50% off so he ended up with a little lego firefighter and Ninjago snake shrine.

I think that little snake shrine is my kid's favourite set ever. Lot's of play packed into something so small. I hope he heals up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Decided to bite the bullet and take a trip to Toys R Us when they opened this morning and do some Series 6 fondling. Ended up with one Series 5(which I thought was a Gladiator, but turned out to be a Guy In Dino Suit, which I am A-OK with) and 25 Series 6, all for 65 dollars. I spent about an hour being one of about 3 people in the entire store, listening to a podcast while I felt for things that weren't Minotaurs, Bandits, Genies, Mechanics, Flamenco Dancers, and Skater Girls. All in all, aside from a mis-molested Genie and Grey Aliens(I thought they were a Roman and two Space Girls, respectively), I managed to correctly guess every single thing I picked! Fantastic.

Gonna use the Statues of Liberty and some of the Romans to either sell to recup the 65 I spent, or as trade fodder for minifigs I still don't have. Although it is really just so drat tempting to keep the Romans. They are so awesome and detailed, especially the shield, I can see why they command at least $10 each on Bricklink even while the series is still on shelves. Managed to feel out a Surgeon to give to my mom's boss, who's a brain surgeon. They ought to love that.

I would highly recommend going to your local Toys R Us before the 26th, when the BOGO 50% deal ends. There's no limit to how many you can purchase with this deal.

What are you looking for as far as trade fodder? I need the genie/robot/space girl to finish off my series 6 set.

I have extras of the following from s6

bandit
butcher
sleepy guy
leprechaun
doctor guy

and a few from s5
sherlock
cave girl