Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

RickoniX posted:

They are attracted to Xykon because (sod spoilers) He ate a bunch of hellfood at an evil diner

See now that's an actual SoD Spoiler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
From the Kickstartsr comment thread: "Rich Burlew 1 minute ago
I haven't forgotten about the last comic in the consecutive run, it's just taking a very long time and I couldn't finish it yesterday. Lots of complicated art. It will be up in few hours."

Kind of excited to see what's up

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Complicated art means a big reveal of some sort. Could be Girard, could be someone else.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

Wouldn't it be interesting if Ochul was exactly right?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I'm still unclear on whether the kobold did what he did because V fudged with "the proper mental commands" or because the kobold interpreted "to the best of his ability" to mean deliberately setting them all off because at this point he craves the sweet release of death.

It could go either way I guess.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My guess is that he's been optimized as a purely combat-focused character, and therefore didn't bother with maxing his ranks in Search since it wouldn't have been relevant for his build. Or he traded out Trapfinding for some alternate class feature, so he can't even search for traps even if he had ranks in Search.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm still unclear on whether the kobold did what he did because V fudged with "the proper mental commands" or because the kobold interpreted "to the best of his ability" to mean deliberately setting them all off because at this point he craves the sweet release of death.

I like to think the command was to do the thing most likely to remove the traps as a danger to the rest of the party. Since searching for and disarming traps has a chance of failure but simply setting them off doesn't, he simply went ahead and set them off.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The joke is that V just ordered him to walk up the pyramid. Which Roy literally spells out.

e: nice username

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The joke is that V just ordered him to walk up the pyramid. Which Roy literally spells out.

e: nice username

Nah I could still see it going either way. Death by trap would be a tempting interpretation of "search for traps to the best of your ability" for someone who had just gone through the kobold's unique oral experiences.

All Roy literally spells out is the effect, not the cause. It can be easy to get the two mixed up I know.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Nah I could still see it going either way. Death by trap would be a tempting interpretation of "search for traps to the best of your ability" for someone who had just gone through the kobold's unique oral experiences.

All Roy literally spells out is the effect, not the cause. It can be easy to get the two mixed up I know.

Occam's Razor has no hold upon you, you are a maverick among mavericks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

My guess is that he's been optimized as a purely combat-focused character, and therefore didn't bother with maxing his ranks in Search since it wouldn't have been relevant for his build. Or he traded out Trapfinding for some alternate class feature, so he can't even search for traps even if he had ranks in Search.
Pretty sure it's this because I cringed at Haley's bit of metagame reasoning and that way balance is restored.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
:siren: New strip! :siren:

Wherein things take a turn for the worse, but a lot of previous poo poo suddenly makes a lot more sense.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They're all redheads, so Family Draketooth, they're not rotted, and they all have either a series of cuts or runes on their bodies. Hrmm.

'course, I'm betting everything about the initial situations they encounter is an illusion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So, does Durkon have 5,000 gp worth of Diamonds on him or Speak with Dead prepared today. That could tell us if those are actually corpses or some play.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MikeJF posted:

they all have either a series of cuts or runes on their bodies. Hrmm.
Like the ones the original Draketooth did when he was alive?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Looks like everyone was poisoned or something? Died fast enough that none of them out their weapons out, anyway.

I wonder if someone showed up first (Nale, Haley's father, etc) and set something in motion...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zereth posted:

Like the ones the original Draketooth did when he was alive?

Oh yeah. Tattoo runes, I guess. So the only thing we can infer here is recent but long enough to turn grey.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bobulus posted:

Looks like everyone was poisoned or something?
I strongly suspect some kind of area kill spell. Poisoning wouldn't have everyone drop right where they were standing. Possibly epic-level magic.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

MikeJF posted:

'course, I'm betting everything about the initial situations they encounter is an illusion.

My money's on this. If Draketooth is supposed to be a master illusionist, then nothing can be taken at face value.

Bobulus posted:

I wonder if someone showed up first (Nale, Haley's father, etc)

I'm fully convinced that Ian has to be involved in this whole Draketooth business somewhere. There's just too many threads linking him to all this for it not to work out that way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well that's grim as gently caress!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

MildShow posted:

My money's on this. If Draketooth is supposed to be a master illusionist, then nothing can be taken at face value.

Well, yes, this is a given. But I suspect that, due to how shocking the scene is, we're going to find out next strip, via illusion-dispelling magic, that this isn't a magic illusion.

And I can't think of a good reason for Draketooth, to, say, kill a bunch of random red-haired people just to set up a confusing first impression to any would-be adventurers. Especially since no one should know about his extensive family (we only know that due to exposition).

Plus it explains stuff, like why no one responded to the message at the fake waypoint.

Nale and others have a headstart on the Order, right? While they waited for V to get back from the other dimension? My money is still on some sort of internal strife among the highly-paranoid rogues, likely caused by some newly arrived outsider. (Nale, Ian, a disguised goblin, etc)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well huh. That's rather disturbing for a stick figure comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bobulus posted:

Plus it explains stuff, like why no one responded to the message at the fake waypoint.
There was that scrying, that saw Mr. Scruffy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's not an illusion; it makes the stench and the lack of reaction to the Order's entrance make perfect sense in retrospect.

Outside theory: Girard Draketooth was related to a dragon that was related to the dragon who attacked V.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Colon V posted:

There was that scrying, that saw Mr. Scruffy.
Wasn't that the Linear Guild?

CapnAndy posted:

Outside theory: Girard Draketooth was related to a dragon that was related to the dragon who attacked V.
Yeah, that's the leading theory over in the GiantITP forums. I have to admit, it does make a certain amount of sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yeah pretty sure the Linear guild was the ones who did that eyeball scry thing.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CapnAndy posted:

It's not an illusion; it makes the stench and the lack of reaction to the Order's entrance make perfect sense in retrospect.

Yeah, that's actually really entirely plausible. It would certainly bring V to account for her whole genocide thing.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

Bobulus posted:

The odd thing is we do see someone scrying on them there. The only person who can scry and also knows about that point is Girard. I think he is still alive at least. If it is him he has had a lot of time to prepare for their coming.

Edit: wow I was slow to post this.
It is unlikely to be the linear guild. Nale went back just because he remembered about the windy canyon. Why would he be randomly scrying on that point at the right time?

I am guessing this is an illusion. I mean an epic level illusion would be something rather amazing.

Edit2: I was wrong about this it was Zz'dtri. Nale mentions in the fight how the OOTS was in the middle of the dessert.

Theler fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Feb 24, 2012

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MildShow posted:

It makes no sense to make an illusion of a smell that can be tracked to the hideout.

And yeah, that earlier scryer was Zz'dtri if I remember the colour code right.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Theler posted:

The odd thing is we do see someone scrying on them there. The only person who can scry and also knows about that point is Girard. I think he is still alive at least. If it is him he has had a lot of time to prepare for their coming.

Serini is also a possibility for the scrying eyeball, considering how similar it is to the one the Sapphire Guard used. Of course, that may just be the general appearance of scrying, and not the notification spell the Order of the Scribble uses.

Nenonen posted:

It makes no sense to make an illusion of a smell that can be tracked to the hideout.

But the smell Belkar is tracking is humans. In fact, Roy specifically asked if the smell was rotting corpses, and Belkar said it wasn't.

E: Nevermind, Belkar refers to them as weird smelling humans. Still though, I really don't think what we're seeing is the whole picture. Something just doesn't feel right.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 24, 2012

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Nenonen posted:

And yeah, that earlier scryer was Zz'dtri if I remember the colour code right.

Unless its not a temple but the back of a Terrasque that they just climbed.

edit; Anyway Belkar says explicitly that its not rotting corpses he's smelling and that its "Weird smelling humans". So my guess is trap or decoy and that Girard might be an epic level illusionist but he can't fool the dudes nose.

Affi fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 24, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I still thing this is where Ian ran off to.

Who was Ian's sidekick? The one that went with him? I'm putting my figurative money on him. My suspicion is that he is/was in the new Thieves Guild leader's pay (to keep Ian imprisoned and out of the way) and when he discovered a whole new pile of Rogues that would potentially side with Ian, he panicked and poisoned them all or something.

Betting against Familicide for the same reasons.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If those were regular corpses, and had been dead long enough to have carrion beetles all over them, every OotS member would have been overwhelmed by the smell at least once they hit the same floor, instead of just Durkon and Belkar.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009
While the familicide theory has a little bit of merit, I think they are in one giant illusion. It's hard to say where the illusion starts. Either somewhere in the windy canyon itself or when Belkar led them through the passageway. The OOTS is now interested in investigating this compound. IF the whole compound is just part of an elaborate illusion it could be a large distraction.

The only odd unexplained thing is who killed Penelope. Nale and Tarquin blame each other. If she really did get killed then the only person with motivation to do it (as far as is guessable) is someone who wanted her to stop talking about the Draketooths.

Rethinking this familicide works a lot better than I remembered. As long as any Draketooth was part of the black dragons bloodline they would all be dead. I thought it was direct relation but it specifically says "Every living creature that directly shares your bloodline is dead. Every living creature that is directly related to any of those creatures is dead." It all depends on how far out the spell goes. The timeline for Penelope's death and probably all the deaths here match up pretty well to when it was cast. If all the Draketooth clan was related to the dragon than Penelope's death can be explained by the second clause.

Theler fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 24, 2012

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

CapnAndy posted:

This is what I'm going with now. At some point, the Order has to find out about V's little adventure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I had always assumed (mostly because of the end of #667) that the party would find out once the fiends showed up to take their end of the bargain. They never said they would wait for V's death to take control of his soul, after all...

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I don't think it was the Familicide. That was at least a month ago, and the corpses are still uneaten by bugs, and so are the vegetables or whatever that food is. This seems to be much more recent than that.

Maybe the bodies didn't smell like rotting corpses to Belkar because they're not rotting so much as mummifying?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
You would be surprised how long a corpse stays relatively whole after death. But I still think it's something else. I'm betting Either Redcloak and co or the Linear Guild showed up first.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't think it was the Familicide. That was at least a month ago, and the corpses are still uneaten by bugs, and so are the vegetables or whatever that food is. This seems to be much more recent than that.

Maybe the bodies didn't smell like rotting corpses to Belkar because they're not rotting so much as mummifying?

The answer is that Xykon can cast teleport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I doubt it's the Linear Guild. They're relying on the Order to lead them to the gate, after all, so it wouldn't make sense for them to show up first.