Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Gyoru posted:

:monocle: Apparently Langrisser IV for PSX has been fully translated to English for almost a year. I just found out about it thanks to a belated news posting on romhacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRKBs-lze8&hd=1

I've been playing it for a bit, but the Langrisser battle system just seems so slow, maybe because you have to deal with all your little, other troops as well. Doesn't help that the maps are fairly large and it takes a few turns to actually encounter the enemy.
I'm probably just playing it wrong, but at the moment my main character is massively overleveled and his squad can pretty much wipe out everything, while all the other generals are really pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's generally a very easy game on the PSX because for some reason they decided to bolt V's movement system into IV's without polishing it. Specifically on the PSX version. The Saturn version plays much more like Der Langrisser.

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Fun Times! posted:

I stopped playing FFX a few months ago and the last thing I remember was fighting a flying dragon on the airship and then getting to some big famous field of battle or something like that. Was I close to finishing the story?

Also I just started FFXII last night. It doesn't matter that I hosed off at FFX does it?

Its funny you know. They talk about the calm land in game as the place where most summoners reach the end of their quest. They see the vastness of what is before them and give up or something.

EVERY person I have ever met that didnt finish ffx stopped at that exact spot. Its like the game creators could predict the exact point in the game people would stop caring and made fun of it.

Seriously though, youre missing out on some of the best content. Youre herded on rails up until that point, a little farther and into Zanarkand and youre let off the rails to do as you please until you decide that the game ends. Most of the best content in that game is end game stuff like monster hunting and finding the hidden aeons. You havent really played the game until a monster arena special kills your party in one turn then you come back levels later and wipe the floor with it.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 1, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Polite Tim posted:

Kaim's VA wasn't too bad, just a little unspirited, and if you avoid the English dub you miss out on Jansen's VA who does a great job of playing a sleazy drunken wizard

Seriously Jansen's VA is outstanding and Sed's is too. I really need to get around to beating that game.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rascyc posted:

That is because you looked at the Wiki and wanted to control your classes without fully understanding the system. You're really not supposed to do this if you are casually playing the game. Were you playing a dual wield Rush who was using items out of curiosity?

That was exactly the problem. I had no understanding of the system at all, because all of things that control class change are hidden from the player. No, I was going power grip Rush, and yes I was using Herbs a decent amount, though I was trying to keep it balanced with items/mystic to keep him on the path of a Warrior.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Xenix posted:

That was exactly the problem. I had no understanding of the system at all, because all of things that control class change are hidden from the player. No, I was going power grip Rush, and yes I was using Herbs a decent amount, though I was trying to keep it balanced with items/mystic to keep him on the path of a Warrior.
If you stuck with it you may have lucked into the Gladiator class one day, but you would have had to train your mystic arts to be greater than your item arts while also attaining combat art dominance and keeping your strength over int.

You can't actually go from Scout -> Warrior in the PC version. Scout is a Level 5 class and Warrior is a level 4 class, you can only move 'upwards' when it comes to class ranks. You probably meant to get back onto the combat art classes though.

It's hard to change from one class category to another because your class category is simply based on art dominance. This is why you want to disable stuff early so you can fall into your dominant category as early as possible so you get those commands more often and stay there. Side note - combat dominance is strictly combat arts, not wield styles.

People fall into Item dominance classes easily because Items have lower thresholds for raising ranks. So you end up with early game Item Dominance, realize later on what happened, and then you are faced with a very tall order of achieving dominance in a different set of arts that are slower to level. It's doable, but it takes time. A lot of time. There are some tricks to help but it'll still take awhile.

Scouts usually can turn into Assassins (Item dominance and Item>Mystic, with one handed swords) but it takes a very long time because it's a a higher tier class and you need a lot of stats to get there. But if you never check the wiki, you may be using a different weapon style so you may be stuck in Scout forever if you never got out of Item dominance.

The class system is actually not that bad if you use a trainer to check your skill ranks, but that's a bit tedious. It's more screwy in the 360 version since they disable some checks and Scout is a level 4 class or something. If you plan things up front though it's really easy to control the class system, until you miss one little detail and screw your evolution up :oops:

Also when I say dominance but I believe the wiki uses the word significant. Like I said before though, you can ignore most of this if you just want to play casually. The Rush 'scout trap' is the one that seems to frustrate people the most so just disable items from the start if you want to avoid that.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Rascyc posted:

The Rush 'scout trap' is the one that seems to frustrate people the most so just disable items from the start if you want to avoid that.

Haha, it was more than Rush. I think I had three of my characters hit scout within an hour of each other. Like I said, it was so offputting that I just abandoned my game and haven't had a chance to go back to it. Maybe after Xenoblade.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jesto posted:

Real men ragequit FFX at Yunalesca and not a second before. :colbert: You don't get to quit until you've earned it.
I went and did monster-capturing stuff to get the material to make enough zombie and death immunity armor to equip my entire active team with and gave her the finger. :colbert:

... I don't play JRPGs much anymore.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I bet you were pissed once she pulled out the spell that insta-kills everyone that's NOT a zombie.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I bet you were pissed once she pulled out the spell that insta-kills everyone that's NOT a zombie.

Zereth posted:

I went and did monster-capturing stuff to get the material to make enough zombie and death immunity armor to equip my entire active team with and gave her the finger. :colbert:

... I don't play JRPGs much anymore.

No, I was well aware of it.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Calaveron posted:

Seriously Jansen's VA is outstanding and Sed's is too. I really need to get around to beating that game.

Sed was the guy who was sixty years older than his mum, right?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Xenix posted:

Haha, it was more than Rush. I think I had three of my characters hit scout within an hour of each other. Like I said, it was so offputting that I just abandoned my game and haven't had a chance to go back to it. Maybe after Xenoblade.

Well I'll just say again, Scout is actually a really good class so I wouldn't have worried about it at all. A little late for that advice I know, but just saying.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Polite Tim posted:

Sed was the guy who was sixty years older than his mum, right?

Well, she only looks like she's in her 20s, but yes, Sed's an old man.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hmmm, rpgsite.net named Eternal Sonata as one of the best RPG's of the decade. Given the arguments that spring up every few pages over this game, I thought it was interesting. I still think the game visually looks awesome (I love cell-shading) and the battle system was a fresh at the time (I had been playing a few early FF games before throwing this in), I definitely don't think it was one of the best of the decade. poo poo, not even the best of the year.
http://www.rpgsite.net/articles/355-the-best-rpgs-of-the-decade

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Are there any RPG-exclusive websites even worth looking at? Has there ever been one?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The first .hack game is on that list too, so I think you can pretty safely disregard it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Gyoru posted:

:monocle: Apparently Langrisser IV for PSX has been fully translated to English for almost a year. I just found out about it thanks to a belated news posting on romhacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gRKBs-lze8&hd=1
I like how the head of the military is called "Admiral" with three Generals below that rank. Japan!

Replaying this now in English with the patch (thanks for linking this, I never heard about it either). Some of the stuff sounds odd and I'm starting to wonder but it's nice to replay the game and have a sense of what's going on.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 25, 2012

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Playing through Last Remnant it really feels as though if they didn't make the decision to hide so many details from the player and punish you (on the XBOX) when playing it like a normal RPG this could have been a huge hit. From what I've seen it seems like it was pretty heavily panned, at least by players.

Not being able to equip your dudes or choose what classes they evolve into feels neat, as though I am just directing the troops and they make their own decisions. While I would like more info about them upgrading their weapons and stuff (Pagus I have like 40 Chimera Husks please take one) and how many of each item they request they actually need, the overall feel of the game is really engrossing.

Hard battles feel *hard* and when you beat them it is a moment of relief and actually feeling like you accomplished something in a game.

The story is loving atrocious though and while I love me some bad voice acting (Dynasty Warriors comes to mind) it really feels like the English cast outside of a few characters had absolutely no direction at all.

I do feel like I may be too high a BR though, because wherever I look people are at a place called Eagle's Nest (not there yet, at Heroic Ramparts or something) and they have BRs of like 15 where as I am already at 21. (I am doing all subquests though)

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

MotU posted:

Playing through Last Remnant it really feels as though if they didn't make the decision to hide so many details from the player and punish you (on the XBOX) when playing it like a normal RPG this could have been a huge hit. From what I've seen it seems like it was pretty heavily panned, at least by players.

It's a Kawazu-produced game. Once you see that name, you should expect undocumented mechanics up to and including the game outright lying to you. (And I say that as someone with a deep affection for the SaGa series.)

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Don't get me wrong, I am loving The Last Remnant so far and have no issues with the mechanics, I just feel that nothing is really *gained* from hiding those numbers in some cases.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MotU posted:

I do feel like I may be too high a BR though, because wherever I look people are at a place called Eagle's Nest (not there yet, at Heroic Ramparts or something) and they have BRs of like 15 where as I am already at 21. (I am doing all subquests though)

You have nothing to worry about. 15 is what I'd expect a 'super-BR-conservative' run to be on, which was almost necessary on the 360 but is much, much less so on the PC.

I personally kind of think all the hidden stuff lends it a quirky charm, but I'm well aware that's not a common viewpoint. Also, Pagus isn't taking your husks because he (and everyone else) will only take items from the end-of-battle screen. Fun, isn't it? People will automatically level up their weapons outside of drop requests, though.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I just started FF6 a hour ago, and none of my friends have played this so I have to come here to complain. The whole time I've been hearing about Kefka is that he's some horribly twisted psychopath bent on world domination/destruction, but, from what I've seen of him in the last hour, he's just some loon who cracks the worst jokes ever. Why couldn't they of made him more sinister like Golbez or something? Ugh. Hope he gets better. Or maybe theres some character arc and I see his descent into madness. Oh well, one can only hope.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

casual poster posted:

I just started FF6 a hour ago, and none of my friends have played this so I have to come here to complain. The whole time I've been hearing about Kefka is that he's some horribly twisted psychopath bent on world domination/destruction, but, from what I've seen of him in the last hour, he's just some loon who cracks the worst jokes ever. Why couldn't they of made him more sinister like Golbez or something? Ugh. Hope he gets better. Or maybe theres some character arc and I see his descent into madness. Oh well, one can only hope.

Not to fear; he goes from "goofy clown villain" to "murdering psychopath" in record time. You'll see as you go through the game.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why would you immediately assume there's no development in a beloved character known for things you yourself just pointed out you have yet to see?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

Wendell posted:

Why would you immediately assume there's no development in a beloved character known for things you yourself just pointed out you have yet to see?

I was more just hoping he'd get better, rather then doing crazy things while telling wacky jokes. Basically I went into it hoping for Heath Ledgers Joker and instead got Jack Nicholson's Joker.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

casual poster posted:

Basically I went into it hoping for Heath Ledgers Joker and instead got Jack Nicholson's Joker.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MotU posted:

Yeah the game is a hotbed of design discussion if you ever want to have it but the Saga peeps have pretty much swam against the currents forever. I think they just see replayability through mechanic obscurity and appeal to that very niche itch.

At least this time they put out a strategy guide. All 900 some pages.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 25, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

casual poster posted:

The thing about Kefka is that he is not supposed to be initially obvious as the villain like Golbez is. You know he's the villain, but when we played it blind years ago him becoming the main bad was kind of a shock.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Rascyc posted:

Yeah the game is a hotbed of design discussion if you ever want to have it but the Saga peeps have pretty much swam against the currents forever. I think they just see replayability through mechanic obscurity and appeal to that very niche itch.

At least this time they put out a strategy guide. All 900 some pages.

I'm pretty sure Unlimited Saga's was ~500, so yeah this is not new ground for that series. (I have misplaced my copy or I would check.)

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Syrg Sapphire posted:

I'm pretty sure Unlimited Saga's was ~500, so yeah this is not new ground for that series. (I have misplaced my copy or I would check.)

Six hundred and fifty five. (I have not!)

e: Oh hey, and I still have my cheat sheet folded up inside:

Goddamn this game

Rasamune fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 26, 2012

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

Rasamune posted:

Six hundred and fifty five. (I have not!)

e: Oh hey, and I still have my cheat sheet folded up inside:

Goddamn this game

I don't have a clue what any of that means but for some reason I find that image incredibly funny.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Rascyc posted:

Someone finally figured out how the combos in Saga Frontier worked, it's this hugely complicated system where every action in the game has two sets of attribute flags that determine what it can combo to and from, and it would be hard enough to manage (since enemy turns can gently caress it up) if the game ever explained or documented any of this

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Why was Unlimited Saga so poorly received? I remember wanting to pick it up way back when but every review i read trashed all over it.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

TheIllestVillain posted:

Why was Unlimited Saga so poorly received? I remember wanting to pick it up way back when but every review i read trashed all over it.

The mechanics were nigh impenetrable and the interface was poo poo. Also, it's incredibly difficult even when you do figure it out. Basically, there's a good game in there, but it's buried under a pile of bad design decisions.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone played the Risen 2 "beta" yet? Well I just did for about 3 and 1/2 hours.

I started assuming it was a real beta version, but I'm pretty sure now that it is only a demo. The multiple bugs I encountered in the first hours were mainly graphical, but this game will need some polishing before launch for sure.

Once you hit a certain area the letter i comes up in a circle and it takes you back to the menu. Unfortunately I was a good 3 and 1/2 hours in before I realized.

Either way it seems like it will be a pretty fun game. I had heard Risen was a "spiritual successor" to the Gothic series, but I didn't know what that meant until playing this demo. Luckily there are numerous improvements including quick travel and an easier, though still challenging combat system.

Seems like this may be a title I pick up at launch, something I have only reserved for Skyrim until now. Unless of course it is still buggy as hell and gets a sub 75 score.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Rasamune posted:

The mechanics were nigh impenetrable and the interface was poo poo. Also, it's incredibly difficult even when you do figure it out. Basically, there's a good game in there, but it's buried under a pile of bad design decisions.
So impenetrable that some guy uploaded something like seven tutorial videos on youtube about the game. I watched the first one once and it was ten minutes long. The rest looked to be of similar length.

It's just a very confusing game to play with not much pay off (exploration is literally done using something like a game board which isn't very pretty to look at). Also adventurer reels.

gently caress. Adventurer. Reels.

I finished four character arcs before hanging in the towel myself.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Feb 26, 2012

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have a big list of bad RPGs that I've considered LPing at various points, because I played them as a kid and seem to hate my own nostalgia, or just as something to motivate me to finish them. May as well get the $20 out of them, etc.

Unlimited Saga is pretty much, no matter how I rank the fucker, the one thing I can't add to this list without wincing. And this is a game I imported the goddamn artbook/guide for, bought twice, and want so hard to love as a SaGa fan, but... man. There is no game I find more painful to actually PLAY in the world. And this is including Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, a game which wiped my hard drive once upon a time.

Incidentally, since April 1st is coming up and I'm probably gonna dig into it, any good awful RPG suggestions? Current list is over here, always keeping an ear out for some other terrible title I've missed. Really need to update it with current-gen stuff/see if some of the suggestions are even RPGs...

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I just got a Vita and now I feel like going crazy picking up newly-discounted PSP games on the PSN store . . . apparently Wild Arms XF is only $10! Its Metacritic score is horrible but I remember at least one goon saying that it's actually a really good game that the critics just didn't understand, or something. Has anyone in the thread played it? If so, what did you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HondaCivet posted:

I just got a Vita and now I feel like going crazy picking up newly-discounted PSP games on the PSN store . . . apparently Wild Arms XF is only $10! Its Metacritic score is horrible but I remember at least one goon saying that it's actually a really good game that the critics just didn't understand, or something. Has anyone in the thread played it? If so, what did you think?

Basically, Wild Arms XF is more like a strategy-themed puzzle game than a SRPG. Most of the levels are based around exploiting your weird abilities as opposed to beating them up RPG-style and you're expecting to abuse your weird mechanics to finish stages. I don't know if it is really 'good' but it's pretty easy to try to play it as a regular SRPG and it would suck really hard that way.