Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Am I understanding right that most of Valentine's basic combos are the same button repeated? Like, LP => LP and junk?

Yep. most of her normals can be pressed multiple times for follow-up attacks.

Dweller posted:

Yeah the SG SRK community is pretty awful. I was reading a thread the other day and some crazy poster called jamcrafts or something started talking about character shipping. Gross.

IMO that guy should be euthanized for the good of the FGC.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Hello SRK. :allears:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Mick Z and Jmcrafts are probably the worst posters on SRK. I don't know why they pretend to know things about the game :/

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I still don't get why there's still people that hate SA with such bile. I thought we didn't really actively antagonize people that much these days :psyduck:

(I'm actually legitimately a little curious, if someone from SRK reads this and feels like responding there, or whatever)

DarkArchville from SRK posted:

As much as I generally hate to visit the SA forums due to their awful, arrogant, elitist community, I must admit I found this pretty amusing:

Doesn't that name remind us of our regular forum member Jmcrofts ? Well, guess what:

Ooooooooops... :lol:

This, however, is straight up adorable :allears:

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 25, 2012

Dweller
Sep 6, 2008
Oh boy is there egg on my face. Don't know how I could've got my facts so wrong... it's almost like... it was intentional :wth:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Hahahahahaha someone actually missed the fact that that post was in jest. That's fantastic.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dweller posted:

Yeah the SG SRK community is pretty awful. I was reading a thread the other day and some crazy poster called jamcrafts or something started talking about character shipping. Gross.

e: New Friday Night Fight http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/727315 and a Valentine character walkthrough Pt1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/valentine-walkthrough-skullgirls/727046 Pt2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/valentine-walkthrough-skullgirls/727048

Can anyone make out what Double is saying at the start and end

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
It's kind of hosed up how below average SA is for sheer number of internet weirdos and idiots.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Can anyone make out what Double is saying at the start and end

The Trinity has deemed you acceptable.
Humans are the real monsters.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Moving back to actual discussion, I watched Mike Z's Valentine walkthrough and saw that you're not allowed to DHC into Valentine's counter super, but what I'm wondering is if you can DHC out of it, either on hit or whiff. Jamcrafts???

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
One thing left out of the Valentine Walkthrough that I was really hoping would be covered is that if you get thrown out of the counter super, not only does the counter not work but the throw (and follow-up combo) does double damage to Valentine.

Somebody do 3v1 Counter Super vs. Solo Ultimate Showstopper.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Moving back to actual discussion, I watched Mike Z's Valentine walkthrough and saw that you're not allowed to DHC into Valentine's counter super, but what I'm wondering is if you can DHC out of it, either on hit or whiff. Jamcrafts???
That's kinda weird. I actually like some of the tactics you can do with DHCs in/out of counter supers in MVC3, so I would be sad to see that it isn't in there.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You can DHC out of any non-cinematic super so long as the background is dark.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 25, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I just messed with this, and you DEFINITELY can't dhc out on whiff since there's no super flash or anything. On hit, it seems like you can't DHC out if it's the normal counter, but if you have poison loaded and she does the injection counter you CAN dhc out.

E: if you land the non-poison counter, it freezes them long enough that you can raw tag in and get a combo.

E2: I guess the reason you can't dhc out of the normal counter is that it's considered a cinematic. The poisoned counter zooms back out for the part where she stabs them with the needle, and that's where you can DHC. So technically broken loose was right i think.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 25, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am very interested in this game because it looks pretty unique and hopefully will teach me a little better about fighting game basics. Bring on the release!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

Somebody do 3v1 Counter Super vs. Solo Ultimate Showstopper.

I just did this and it did 98%. If Cerebella lands the grab normally 1v3 it does 59%.

E: for reference, 3v3 cerebella's grab does 38%. Grabbing val out of the counter 3v3 does 63%.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 25, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jmcrofts posted:

I just did this and it did 98%. If Cerebella lands the grab normally 1v3 it does 59%.

Apologies, I'm clearly not caught up on the thread. Are you already playing it? How? :) Is it already out and I missed the release?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Feenix posted:

Apologies, I'm clearly not caught up on the thread. Are you already playing it? How? :) Is it already out and I missed the release?

I was an intern at the developer last summer. They still let me download new builds and test them if I want.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jmcrofts posted:

E: for reference, 3v3 cerebella's grab does 38%. Grabbing val out of the counter 3v3 does 63%.

That comes out to 2/3rds extra damage. Try it against Diamond Drop or a single-hit throw to see if it isn't combo scaling getting in the way.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jmcrofts posted:

I was an intern at the developer last summer. They still let me download new builds and test them if I want.

Awesome! The game looks pretty cool. I can't wait.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I just skimmed the last 10 pages of the SRK GD thread and wow

edit: I guess it's some consolation that most of these guys probably won't play the game for more than a month.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 25, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Loose posted:

That comes out to 2/3rds extra damage. Try it against Diamond Drop or a single-hit throw to see if it isn't combo scaling getting in the way.

Diamond drop does 16% 1v1, 27% if it grabs val out of her counter. So yeah still a 2/3's damage increase.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Isn't the poison counter strictly worse than the non-poison one, since you have time to load a syringe and continue comboing after the latter anyway (and it also doesn't send them flying away)? What's the deal with that

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Isn't the poison counter strictly worse than the non-poison one, since you have time to load a syringe and continue comboing after the latter anyway (and it also doesn't send them flying away)? What's the deal with that

The poison counter also does damage, which the non-poison one doesn't. That plus the whole DHC thing. IDK if that's enough to make it worthwhile but it's cool that it's there for people to mess with anyway, people might find some stuff.

E: when I get a chance I might mess around with the hitstun poison counter dhc into Painwheel's lv3, and see if you can get sick poo poo off that.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 25, 2012

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Double is going to be a 8-2 matchup against me, she is super gross.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Does Double have any standout assist choices? The slide seems okay, so does the buttslam, but her projectile is pretty anemic and I don't think the buttslam is invincible, is it? I'm having a hard time seeing how Double benefits from being in any team position other than first.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sade posted:

Does Double have any standout assist choices? The slide seems okay, so does the buttslam, but her projectile is pretty anemic and I don't think the buttslam is invincible, is it? I'm having a hard time seeing how Double benefits from being in any team position other than first.

Meter. Double has a bunch of very damaging options with meter, it seems, or annoying setups like the Catoboros. That's all I can think of.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sade posted:

Her gun can OTG from almost full-screen away.

You can see it in the combo starting at 1:23 here:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-fights-mike/727315

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Sade posted:

and I don't think the buttslam is invincible, is it?

Pretty sure it is though this might just be wishful thinking on my part!!

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
The SRK wiki says that the butt-slam has invulnerable startup until the first hit, so that wouldn't be a bad assist choice, especially if your point character doesn't have much in the way of wall-bounces anyway.

Can you cancel Cerebella's Hulk clap to get a safer airdash?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Sade posted:

Don't be so quick to write off the gun as an assist. HP gun has the same trajectory as Cammy's Cannon Spike did in Marvel 2, except with basically no vulnerable hitbox if you plan it out right. I think Peacock could really make awesome usage out of it (and Double could use Peacock as an efficient battery for Catellites).

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Broken Loose posted:

Don't be so quick to write off the gun as an assist. HP gun has the same trajectory as Cammy's Cannon Spike did in Marvel 2, except with basically no vulnerable hitbox if you plan it out right. I think Peacock could really make awesome usage out of it (and Double could use Peacock as an efficient battery for Catellites).

Also don't forget if it hits a character out of the air it'll drop them to the ground and make them groundbounce for free combos.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Isn't item drop air only and air only moves not possible for assists?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Liar Lyre posted:

Isn't item drop air only and air only moves not possible for assists?

You mean Double's? Yeah on both counts.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
I was watching a casuals stream and it looks like Valentine's Alpha Blade assist is great for keepaway characters. It never goes through the opponent, which means even if they block they get pushed back. Parasoul/Valentine or Peacock/Valentine (Peacock makes a great battery for Val, too) might be pretty viable.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Hey crofts I was wondering if Painwheel can call assists while in flight like Sent?
I was looking through some videos out of boredom and don't really remember seeing it (or much Painwheel).

Oh and now that the full cast is out, what do you consider to be a good team, and why?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Hey crofts I was wondering if Painwheel can call assists while in flight like Sent?
I was looking through some videos out of boredom and don't really remember seeing it (or much Painwheel).

Painwheel's flight mode counts as a regular jump, so it is possible to call assists.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Oh and now that the full cast is out, what do you consider to be a good team, and why?

Yup ^^ this guy is right, you can call assists while flying.

It's impossible to say who the good teams will be once the game proper is out, but some I've had success with are:

-Filia/Cerebella: Cerecopter assist is nutso and lets Filia apply pretty constant rushdown pressure with tons of opportunities for mixups. Filia->bella DHC has been nerfed but is still powerful, particularly in the corner.

-Valentine/Painwheel/Peacock: This is my current go-to, Valentine is a great battery with tons of reset and meterless damage potential. Peacock go-kart bomb assist lets val do sick oki off her s.HK series, which puts them into sliding knockdown so they can't ground tech. Painwheel LP fireball assist staggers, so if you use it in a combo you can generally get a good deal of extra damage (or load up a poison if you're a baller). Peacock assist also helps Painwheel a lot, for holing people to the ground while you apply fly pressure.

-Solo Painwheel: My other go-to, her damage is insane and once she gets in she stays there. Painwheel doesn't have a DP equivalent to get people off you, but the damage tradeoff feels worth it to me.

-Peacock/Parasoul: Annoying keepaway, parasoul corridor assist causes flashbacks to Team Scrub. Parasoul also has a (mostly) safe DHC with the motorcycle dudes, and can DHC into or out of peacock really well.

So yeah those are just teams I've tried and had fun with. The variable team sizes and custom assists open up a lot of fun possibilities so I'm sure my team will change about a thousand times once the game is out proper.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 27, 2012

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
Jamcroft I know you (and some other memvers of the devteam) have mentioned that there's some ridiculous sick stuff to be done with Peacock's bomb super - is it close enough to reveal that you can talk specifics on that kind of stuff or is it still tech?

Laser's so good though it almost seems like a shame to be using meter on anything else...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nerokerubina posted:

Jamcroft I know you (and some other memvers of the devteam) have mentioned that there's some ridiculous sick stuff to be done with Peacock's bomb super - is it close enough to reveal that you can talk specifics on that kind of stuff or is it still tech?

Laser's so good though it almost seems like a shame to be using meter on anything else...

The reason it hasn't been talked about much is that no one's gotten good at it yet >_>

I've messed around with stuff like, comboing into snapback while the bomb is out and then teleporting to the other side to cross them up with the bomb explosion. You can also do neat stuff like this by raw tagging right before the bomb explodes. I just need more lab time before anything like that becomes consistent.

• Locked thread